Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Christ Conspiracy
    #567179 - 03/01/02 06:34 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ut oh, is Swami ready to take on Christianity? Well in this case, I will let someone else speak.

This book presents the case that all of the mythos of Christ were already present in other religions. Not in generic terms, but in specifics such as :

the crucifixion
raising the dead
the 12 disciples
feeding the multitudes
the virgin birth
arose from the grave
walked on water
etc.

The author, Acharya S, believes from her historical research, that Christ was NOT an actual historical figure, but a compilation of previous god men. This book is allegedly not anti-Christian per se, but a search for the historical Jesus, though I am sure that Christians will take it as satan-inspired, even if accurate.

My take? I am not a historian and would have to do some research first as I have not read it. Anyway, here is the link... http://www.truthbeknown.com/christ5.htm

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (03/01/02 11:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
Re: The Christ Conspiracy [Re: Swami]
    #567251 - 03/01/02 08:36 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ooooh!!!  I can't wait to see where this one ends up!!!  I only wish more Christian enthusiasts frequented this site!!!  I'll pipe up with some opinions later. (after the controversy begins) :wink: 

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

InvisibledizZy_bOy
stranger thanyou

#567407 - 03/01/02 11:32 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

no big surprise. christianity is a cut and paste religion, they borrowed everything from everywhere.

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
    #567456 - 03/02/02 12:51 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: The Christ Conspiracy [Re: Lallafa]
    #567483 - 03/02/02 01:54 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I just got this book a little while ago, I havin't read it yet so I'll get back to yall.  :wink: 

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: The Christ Conspiracy [Re: MentalHygene]
    #567599 - 03/02/02 09:18 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I'll help you out and throw some wood on the fire. Anybody ever hear the Jesus was really Satan theory? Goes something like, if I were Satan and wanted to get all the sheep to follow me instead of God, I would go pretend to be the son of God and steal his flock. Satan is regarded as the father of lies, therefore this wouldn't be a big deal for him to pull off. You go throw a big "I am born" bash and then hide out for 25-30 years, then come back and claim to be the messiah. You toss out a couple of lies that work like miracles and pretty soon you have everybody following you. You teach them that after you are gone, the only way they can talk with God is if they go through you. After you let them 'kill' you, you rise 'from the dead' nailing shut the coffin so to speak. Now everybody starts carving out these little God images on a cross and worshiping your image instead of God directly.

A: How do you know God exists?
B: Because it says so in the Bible.
B: You should read the bible.
A: I don't read fiction.

Peace

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
    #567893 - 03/02/02 04:17 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

"The author, Acharya S, believes from her historical research, that Christ was NOT an actual historical figure, but a compilation of previous god men."

http://www.bluehoney.org/Jesus.htm

Mithra, Sungod of Persia

The story of Mithra precedes the Christian fable by at least 600 years. According to Wheless, the cult of Mithra was, shortly before the Christian era, "the most popular and widely spread 'Pagan' religion of the times." Mithra has the following in common with the Christ character:

-Mithra was born of a virgin on December 25th.

-He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.

-He had 12 companions or disciples.

-He performed miracles.

-He was buried in a tomb.

-After three days he rose again.

-His resurrection was celebrated every year.

-Mithra was called "the Good Shepherd."

-He was considered "the Way, the Truth and the Light, the Redeemer, the Savior, the Messiah."

-He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.

-His sacred day was Sunday, "the Lord's Day," hundreds of years before the appearance of Christ.

-Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter, at which time he was resurrected.

-His religion had a Eucharist or "Lord's Supper."

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Offlinealphatrion
journeyman
    #567908 - 03/02/02 04:42 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Can the pre-existence of christian symbolism not be better explained by the work of C.G. Jung and/or Joseph Campbell?

Also the historical figure of Jesus has been doubted before but we have multiple sources confirming his existence. If he is the same guy as portrayed by christianity or a jewish revolutionary is quite another story.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Christ Conspiracy [Re: alphatrion]
    #567946 - 03/02/02 05:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #567962 - 03/02/02 06:13 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I strongly recommed some of the works of John Shelby Spong, former Archbishop of the Newark, NJ Episcopal Chuch. In particular, the book 'Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible With Jewish Eyes.' I identify myself as a Jewish-Christian Gnostic, because it's difficult to describe to people where I'm coming from. In any event, this book changed my life in a Big way.

I took a Masters in Theological Studies from the Methodist seminary of Drew University in 1978, and have continued with theological studies ever since. But this book helped me to re-frame my entire take on the Bible. Do not guess at the conclusions, but I challenge anyone who wishes to understand what the authors intended by their writings to read this. This is no new age fluff - it is reputable scholarship.

A good example: the virgin birth and the whole Catholic doctrine and monastic practices for almost 2 millennia may all derive from a Mistranslation of one Hebrew word! The author known as Matthew, in quoting Isaiah 7:14 "Behold a virgin shall conceive and bring forth a son..." :

"The word 'virgin' did not enter the Book of Isaiah until it was translated into Greek some 500 years after Isaiah had written these words and some 200 years before the birth of Jesus. The translators chose the Greek word parthenos to translate the Hebrew word almah. Almah means a young woman in Hebrew. It never means virgin; the Hebrew word betulah was used for that. However, in the Greek word parthenos the concepts of young woman and virgin were merged. So it was only in the word parthenos that the connotation of virgin entered the reading of Isaiah. That, however did not deter Matthew, who built his whole narrative around this translation. He probably never checked the original Hebrew."
LTG, pp. 188-189

This is but one example. The word Midrash is very important. It means the ancient Hebrew story-telling technique which was meant to impart a spiritual truth. Midrash was never intended to be a historical, eye-witness account (as if there were reporters at Bethlehem taking notes!) The entire Bible is written as midrash.
The Bodily Resurrection was never written about by Paul, for example, and Paul's letters (which he never intended to be anything other than letters of encouragement to churches in Corinth, Ephesis and elsewhere - certainly not scriptures!) are the earliest authentic writings in the New Testament. The 4 Gospels would not be written for another 60-70 years, and they were written, according to Spong, as liturgical selections to go along with the Jewish calendar of holidays.

Not to throw the baby [Jesus] out with the bathwater - the Bible needs to be demythologized to be read correctly. Supernatural epiphanies are verbal Illustrations - mythogized events portrayed as midrash. This does NOT mean they are not Real. It means they are not necessarily historical events, but very Real events experienced individually or collectively as powerful inner events. How does one depict inner events? In the language of myth.

BTW, for a brilliant description/explanation of the Genesis account of the creation of Man, check out the late Edward Edinger's 'Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche.' It a very very insightful Jungian explanation of the creation myth as the birth of consciousness from unconsciousness, depicted as a crime.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Christ Conspiracy [Re: World Spirit]
    #567995 - 03/02/02 07:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

"Although they see, they will not see.
Is this a Zen paradox or just some mumbled nonsense that attempts to sound wise because it doesn't make sense?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#568000 - 03/02/02 07:18 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Also the historical figure of Jesus has been doubted before but we have multiple sources confirming his existence.

Please list any non-Christain historical references to this man.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (03/02/02 07:21 PM)

Invisiblefuzzysquirelnuts
veteran
Loc: souhwest us
    #568005 - 03/02/02 07:25 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i wonder that about alot of what people say
but im not the sharpest knife in drawer so i never really know

--------------------
were all retarded sometimes

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #568155 - 03/02/02 11:13 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Anonymous

#568190 - 03/03/02 12:37 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i don't really deny that christ lived... i just question how much of his life really got into the bible. i'm thinking they changed a lot of things around.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Christ Conspiracy [Re: Anonymous]
    #568248 - 03/03/02 02:07 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#568257 - 03/03/02 02:32 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

many people will take a look at Christ in consideration of whether He is real or not. However, these same people do not end up believing in Christ.
Ah, the more you consider the less likely to believe... makes sense.

millions testify that He exists - yet for all of that, they still cannot forge ahead with belief in Christ.
Millions smoke cigarettes. I am not going to take up that habit because of peer pressure. I believe that Muslims outnumber Christians. So I should adopt that religion using "enter's law of large numbers"?

It is meant as a simple "they just cannot see" type of statement.
Basically meaning that anyone that does not agree with your perspective "just cannot see." "None are so arrogant as the spiritually arrogant!"

--------------------

Edited by Swami (03/03/02 02:35 AM)

Offlinealphatrion
journeyman
    #568262 - 03/03/02 02:41 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Please use google to search for extra-biblical sources.
I think the title of the post/book is misguided - if you look at it as a conspiracy you leave out the rest - including christianity itself. So you have to know christianity (including the experience) to write a balanced view. Even if its meant as a catchy title from what i've read about it in this thread i don't think it takes this into account. So after reading the book should readers feel about christianity as something that is made up and that people who are christians are ignorant and stupid? There is more to Christ and christianity than historical evidence: its a religious and social experience.

Anonymous

#568280 - 03/03/02 03:02 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i can have religious and socially experiences without christianity. i have nothing against christ... i love everything that he stands for. he is the purity of heart and soul, but christianity itself is just a little out of wack.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #568291 - 03/03/02 03:28 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order