Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Finally found my first [Re: mistamonsta]
    #26013562 -

mistamonsta said:
Gallusgallus229 said:
any tips on differentiating tasmaniana from subs?



Unfortunately Ps. Tasmaniana are outside my realm of regular first hand experience.
I suspect I have found and collected them previous to being identified as Tasmaniana but I just can't be certain.
I have read and re-read Heyowana's thread and would hope I could now spot the difference if I found them again.
If I have understood correctly, they seem smaller in stature (shorter), the cap colour is different, the caps are quite sticky when fresh (apparently they will stick to each other or your specimen container once picked), they are shorter lived than subs and are known to grow in runoff areas after rainfall from enriched soil and debris as opposed to subs growing from decayed wood matter.
But this is, as I said, speculation and analysis based on reading the above linked thread.
Perhaps Inski, or Heyowana himself, will be kind enough to show up and correct or confirm my speculations



Thanks, it's something I'm curious about as I believe I've also done the same thing ahaha.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: Gallusgallus229]
    #26013635 -

Tasmaniana are very different to subs and easy to differentiate, unfortunately they seem to be extremely rare. Since they’re also related to Psilocybe semilanceata they look more like large Psilocybe alutacea than they do subs.

I got to photograph some at Heyowana’s place (NSW). Here is a photo of the back of my camera screen. I’ll upload proper photos in the NSW thread probably next month.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: ent]
    #26013653 -

Nice pics everyone

Great stuff ent. Can't wait to see what you've found up north.
I've taken a bunch of pics but i'm off the grid right now, so hopefully
i can upload a few in a couple of days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: SameMould]
    #26013668 -

Thanks for clearing that up Ent, I tip my hat to you good sir :hatsoff:

Here is a wonderfully out of focus pic I took of a suspected Psilocybe from up near the snowy mountains when I was living there two years ago.

At the time I posted this, someone suggested Tasmaniana but I didn't collect these particular specimens to identify. It was the same time as when I discovered Ps. Alutacea on my mountain so in my ignorance of Tasmaniana identification I just wrote it off as more of the same and never followed it up.
In hindsight I realise that was quite silly of me, I have seen many of these in this particular area on many later hikes and just thought they were Alutacea doing well


--------------------
MistaMonsta's LAGM 2022

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: **Official Victoria Psilocybin Season 2019** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: mistamonsta]
    #26013730 -

Went out again and found nothing apart from these fellas



Absolutely no idea what they are, they weee however in bush scrubland out of my town, might have to stop looking completely, all my spots are being pillaged and destroyed by others nowadays so I’m out of ideas where to go, absolutely no idea anymore which sucks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: **Official Victoria Psilocybin Season 2019** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: tay_vic13] * 1
    #26013734 -

Subaeruginosa specimens from eucalypt forest, at about 900m elevation.

Some of the largest I've ever seen


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: **Official Victoria Psilocybin Season 2019** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: GREENVK]
    #26013739 -

tay_vic13 said:
Went out again and found nothing apart from these fellas



Absolutely no idea what they are, they weee however in bush scrubland out of my town, might have to stop looking completely, all my spots are being pillaged and destroyed by others nowadays so I’m out of ideas where to go, absolutely no idea anymore which sucks!



The big tall one is a Rooting Shank, Oudemansiella Gigaspora aka Xerulia Australis.
I believe the other is Leratiomyces Ceres.

Yes, mushroom picking has become quite popular of late.
I saw soooo many cars out on my local mountain trails these last two weekends, all were picking I am sure.
Best to get out during the week, even Friday arvo if you can, beat everyone else to it and avoid the weekend stampede :wink:
Your other option is to get on googlemaps and look for new terrain that is off the beaten path, patches that are easy to access become well known and then get picked out quite rapidly

GREENVK said:
Subaeruginosa specimens from eucalypt forest, at about 900m elevation.

Some of the largest I've ever seen





:waitwhatthehell:

I think you have found the fabled Valley of the Giants!!!!


--------------------
MistaMonsta's LAGM 2022

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: **Official Victoria Psilocybin Season 2019** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: mistamonsta]
    #26013740 -

Unreal thanks heaps mate! I know right, Half the lads at work talk about Magic’s now it’s like all of a sudden people realise how good they are 😂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: mistamonsta]
    #26013758 -

mistamonsta said:
Thanks for clearing that up Ent, I tip my hat to you good sir :hatsoff:

Here is a wonderfully out of focus pic I took of a suspected Psilocybe from up near the snowy mountains when I was living there two years ago.

At the time I posted this, someone suggested Tasmaniana but I didn't collect these particular specimens to identify. It was the same time as when I discovered Ps. Alutacea on my mountain so in my ignorance of Tasmaniana identification I just wrote it off as more of the same and never followed it up.
In hindsight I realise that was quite silly of me, I have seen many of these in this particular area on many later hikes and just thought they were Alutacea doing well



I remember this find. So good. I think they’re P. alutacea, the young specimens’ forms and the form of the group as a whole looks consistent with that species. The possibility of confusing the two is definitely there, especially with larger P alutacea specimens.

One thing I just realised about P alutacea looking back through observations is that if the primordia forms in the right spot and orientation the stipes are consistently very straight and vertical, and will rarely kink or curve unless there’s an obstacle they need to grow around.

Since seeing confirmed Psilocybe tasmaniana I have been wondering if these specimens I collected last year aren’t P tasmaniana.

https://mushroomobserver.org/362134?q=nspg

The waterlogged specimens I saw were very similar in appearance. Alan has these, they’re awaiting DNA analysis so we will find out. I regret not taking more photos and studying these things when I’ve had the chance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: **Official Victoria Psilocybin Season 2019** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: tay_vic13]
    #26013759 -

Nice Work Guys!!
:kaneclap:
More Suburban Subs from today;





























Some Pin Action;




Deadly Friends;

& this guy;


--------------------

Edited by Nickoloxious (05/26/19 07:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: mistamonsta]
    #26013934 -

mistamonsta said:
Gallusgallus229 said:
any tips on differentiating tasmaniana from subs?



Unfortunately Ps. Tasmaniana are outside my realm of regular first hand experience.
I suspect I have found and collected them previous to being identified as Tasmaniana but I just can't be certain.
I have read and re-read Heyowana's thread and would hope I could now spot the difference if I found them again.
If I have understood correctly, they seem smaller in stature (shorter), the cap colour is different, the caps are quite sticky when fresh (apparently they will stick to each other or your specimen container once picked), they are shorter lived than subs and are known to grow in runoff areas after rainfall from enriched soil and debris as opposed to subs growing from decayed wood matter.
But this is, as I said, speculation and analysis based on reading the above linked thread.

Perhaps Inski, or Heyowana himself, will be kind enough to show up and correct or confirm my
speculations



I think you are doing very well. Your posts are to the point and informative.
P.tasmaniana is smaller in stature than P.subaeruginosa. There appear to be two phenos so far. One resembling P.semilanceata. The other looks more like a mushroom in the cyanescens complex with a broader cap and a shorter stem.

Colour of tasmaniana caps is generally brown. From light to dark brown.
They fruit in a more open habitat to subs. Mycelium is generally attached to twigs or decomposed bark. They like very wet areas to fruit. Places that go under water after heavy rain are worth a look.

The cap is extremely hygrophanous. Changing colour from brown to ghost white when drying out. That factor makes them easy to spot once they have dried out a bit in sunny weather.

Edited by Heyowana (05/26/19 08:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: Heyowana]
    #26013969 -

Shroom hunters... if every one of us posted every single photo we took while hunting, imagine how clogged up this thread would be. I reckon choose your best ones to post, more than 5 pics is overkill no?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: Warrk]
    #26014733 -

Warrk said:
Shroom hunters... if every one of us posted every single photo we took while hunting, imagine how clogged up this thread would be. I reckon choose your best ones to post, more than 5 pics is overkill no?



only really good for 1st-3rd year pickers to learn how many bloody variations there are with p.subs alone.
with the phenotypes created by different weather  patterns

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: AzzA]
    #26014828 -

AzzA said:
Warrk said:
Shroom hunters... if every one of us posted every single photo we took while hunting, imagine how clogged up this thread would be. I reckon choose your best ones to post, more than 5 pics is overkill no?



only really good for 1st-3rd year pickers to learn how many bloody variations there are with p.subs alone.
with the phenotypes created by different weather  patterns



Both of you make good points.
I can't speak for everyone here, would personally love to see this thread clogged with in situ photos of actives. But if you insist I desist, I'll tone it down to just a dozen or so choice photos in future hunts. :cheers:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: Nickoloxious]
    #26014886 -

Nickoloxious said:
I can't speak for everyone here, would personally love to see this thread clogged with in situ photos of actives.. :cheers:



:whathesaid:
I come here for the glorious shroom porn and the sharing of info on locating and picking various Psilocybe varieties.
I say keep posting all your pics, maybe just change the layout of your posts or format of your pics so they appear as clickable thumbnails.
That way the info is still there but those who are uninterested can scroll past easier :shrug:
If anything, this thread is clogged with way too much weather talk and complaints about the season starting slow etc. These irrelevant, uninformed and off topic posts clearly outnumber the pics so far  :2cents:

Edit: I forgot to say hi and thank you to Heyowana for stopping by with the ID info on Psilocybe Tasmaniana, how very rude of me :hatsoff:


--------------------
MistaMonsta's LAGM 2022

Edited by mistamonsta (05/26/19 06:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: ent]
    #26014909 -

ent said:
Tasmaniana are very different to subs and easy to differentiate, unfortunately they seem to be extremely rare. Since they’re also related to Psilocybe semilanceata they look more like large Psilocybe alutacea than they do subs.

I got to photograph some at Heyowana’s place (NSW). Here is a photo of the back of my camera screen. I’ll upload proper photos in the NSW thread probably next month.





Ahh okay, thanks ent :smile:
I only say they seem similar based off of some of the photos by heyowana that seem to resemble 'waterlogged subs' that I've often picked.

Tbh I really should make more of a point of documenting things I pick, as the differences in 'subs' can be huge in itself.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
No luck yet. [Re: Gallusgallus229]
    #26014955 -

First time posting here. Started hunting two years ago when I found a patch of Subs in eucalyptus litter. My joy when I found something that turned blue. I began the ID and sure enough that was my first experience with actives.
Last year I found none and I don't want to miss out this year.
I am going to areas near creeks and old wood chippes areas but I'm getting nothing. Am I missing something? Is my elevation important?
He just got a few days of good rain.
I'm about to head out to the pine areas now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Firsts [Re: Apoyador]
    #26015132 -



Terrible photo but found my first patch today. Unfortunately all my other spots have been cleared out already.

Only managed to pick one but will go back and grab the rest once it’s dark as I was standing about 5 metres from a bunch of tradies who I don’t want to steal my stash in the future haha


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: mistamonsta]
    #26015163 -

mistamonsta said:
I say keep posting all your pics, maybe just change the layout of your posts or format of your pics so they appear as clickable thumbnails.
That way the info is still there but those who are uninterested can scroll past easier :shrug:



That is a good suggestion and compromise mista.

Personally I like to see pics that are giving us new, insightful information - not more of the same which can be tiring. It isn't just you either Nick, nice finds btw and congrats :elmo:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Finally found my first [Re: Warrk]
    #26015187 -

Fair enough & duly noted...
Thanks!  :super:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* **Official Victoria Psilocybin Season 2021** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆
( 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 )
ent 52,068 363 08/10/21 04:37 AM
by discobean
* OFFICIAL NSW Psilocybin Seasonal Actives 2021
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
Peachy007 20,652 173 11/30/21 02:05 PM
by pluplub
* "OFFICIAL NEW ZEALAND PSILOCYBIN SEASON 2021 (NO ID REQUESTS)"
( 1 2 3 4 ... 86 87 )
sam11 82,930 1,732 09/29/22 01:30 PM
by Brakenfern
* Everyone from the PNW please check this out!! id... kadakuda 2,534 14 09/15/04 08:31 PM
by thearmedforces
* ***Official Tasmania Psilocybe Season 2021*** (*No ID requests*)
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
obtuse 43,466 177 06/20/22 08:34 PM
by Tas75
* Melbourne Victoria Australia (many pics, subs/ spores etc)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
suboriginal 88,064 60 06/17/18 02:56 AM
by Scibe23
* ID Request, Melbourne cap_rpr 486 3 05/07/21 08:55 AM
by Warrk
* ID Request: 27 photos in SE suburbs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU veritas_VIC_AU 20,838 10 04/25/03 09:05 AM
by Zen Peddler

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
56,501 topic views. 0 members, 12 guests and 41 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.