Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
In Search of Grace....
    #1500204 - 04/28/03 10:51 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Just finished this book. Pretty damned cool, actually, one of the best reads I've found in awhile. This chick, who was raised as an Atheist, traveled the country for 3 years, visiting a church of every religion she could easily find.

She visited Medicine Men, Amish, Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, Mormons (Boy, those Mormons are a twisted bunch), Practical Christians(God Will Heal Me, Fuck Medicine), Buddhists, Sikhs, Muslims, 3 kinds of Jews, Hindus, Pagans, Spirtualists...All kinds of things...Interesting to get a viewpoint from someone who doesnt have all kinds of preconcieved notions...

Pick it up if you get the chance, from the library or whatever...Good Good Stuff...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: In Search of Grace.... [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #1500306 - 04/28/03 11:27 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The title and author?

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: In Search of Grace.... [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1500314 - 04/28/03 11:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Bah. Sorry, thought I was clear...The full title is "In Search of Grace: A Religious Outsider's Journey Across America's Landscape of Faith" by Kristin Hahn.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

#1500377 - 04/28/03 12:14 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You might not want to give anything away. So feel free not to reply, but did she come out the athiest she went into all this?

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: In Search of Grace.... [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1500385 - 04/28/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Its actually interesting...She talks about it at the end of her book, and she really doesnt follow any religion, although she does believe in the Higher Power. She says considers herself a "Spiritual" person and practices little bits from numerous religions. Also, she wasnt necessarily an atheist going into the whole thing, she was RAISED as an Atheist...But she didnt oppose the notion of a God, she just really didnt have much experience with religion in any form...

--------------------

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

#1500398 - 04/28/03 12:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds intresting.
Doubt id get round to reading it, Ive got a stack of books I need to read. Top of the list: The Psychedelic Experience by Timmy L then Doors of Perception/heaven and hell.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology