Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Do Molecules Have Feelings? [Re: Ravus]
    #4234709 - 05/29/05 11:38 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Feelings are the chemical reactions?

like the sun is not the vitamins, but makes us make vitamins?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4234715 - 05/29/05 11:42 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The evidence is the same as the evidence that a man who is walking and talking is alive. The brain is an organ made of fat and other tissues. The mind is the collective sum of your nervous system and the brain as they work together to form consciousness.

Honestly, what is a brain? I think you're giving it far, far too much praise, but that's natural as it appears your brain has convinced itself that it is super important. It's little more than a linking organ- without your body, your brain is just some blob. Without input, it is worthless. Is the engine in a car more important than the wheels? Yes, engines are nifty, but they serve one purpose- turning the wheels.

You're trying to systematically describe the Universe as it pertains to human existence- I suspect you're trying to bridge the gap between subjective and objective. However, for something to be a system, it has to have a flaw. Look to reality for your answer, not synthetic conceptual abstractions.

What is the purpose of your questions? Molecules are just a way to describe reality. I stress the "a." Molecules describe mass- can you completely describe a brain in terms of its physical state? You say yes; I say no. Why? Because I see such a description as impossible- akin to drawing a tree by drawing all of its cells. Reality is not close friends with theory.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Do Molecules Have Feelings? [Re: vampirism]
    #4234744 - 05/29/05 11:53 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

without your body, your brain is just some blob.

Now you have done it! You hurt my brain's feelings and it scampered under the bed. I must try to coax it out. And don't get me started on the cleaning! Oh, the cleaning! Ever try to get dust off a gelatinous ovoid of fat without doing damage?

Now, my whole night is shot.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (05/30/05 03:46 AM)

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Do Molecules Have Feelings? [Re: Swami]
    #4234763 - 05/30/05 12:01 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

In arguing one should meet serious pleading with humor, and humor with serious pleading.
-Gorgias

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4235412 - 05/30/05 03:45 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I hurt the molecules feelings :frown:

--------------------

Offlinenitroguy
SeiZureS

Re: Do Molecules Have Feelings? [Re: Shroomism]
    #4235779 - 05/30/05 06:04 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Molecules have feelings in the sense that they feel "happier" in certain configurations.
No, seriously though I think about this thought of how consciousness is formed through a complex network of non-conscious molecules. Such an odd coincidence that us humans have consciousness to the point of self-awareness and the ability to realize who we are and what role we play in the universe. I whole idea that a complex structure of molecules can posses self-awareness is the strangest thing I can think of.

--------------------
...Weapons are meant for destruction,
and thus are avoided by the wise.
Only as a last resort
will a wise person use a deadly weapon.
If peace is her true objective
how can she rejoice in the victory of war?
Those who rejoice in victory
delight in the slaughter of humanity.
Those who resort to violence
will never bring peace to the world...

Lao-Tzu, "Tao Te Ching--31" trans. J.H. McDonald

OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
Re: Do Molecules Have Feelings? [Re: nitroguy]
    #4270710 - 06/08/05 05:38 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Do you believe the human mind is absolute? We are relying completely upon the neural pathways in our brains to tell us what's real and what's not, so how can you assume that simply because something exists in our neural pathways it's real?

After all, humans don't know it's a dream when they're sleeping. When you're dreaming, you believe it's real until you wake up. But how do you know that the dream isn't real while you're dreaming?

I dont see the point of trying to distinguish reality from fantasy when you yourself should be plenty able to do that. Maybe you shroomed one time too many I dont know, I think it will be funny once we finish the human brain simulating super computer in a decade thats gonna sit around and wonder what reality is and thinks it has some special "conciousness" or "soul" or whatever rediculas terms like that you like to use.

And your comment about dreaming, dont press your response to dreams and assume everyone is the same. Personally, a little over half the dreams I remember have been lucid dreams, that while dreaming, I realize im in a dream, and simply because YOU dont have the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality, doesnt mean EVERYONE cant, and therefor even though you may be in some sort of rediculas confusion of what is real and what is not, theres those of us that are not.

Now stop telling me what im thinking and how I react and what I do (when I dream for example). You dont have any "special knowledge" that the rest of us (or if it is "special", some of us still) have, though you may be lacking alot of necessary information about REALITY to determine what reality really is.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order