tHEfLY said: I didn't read the whole thread, but I think you are right, in a way. The current mythology since the "enlightenment" has been the negation of all mythology through the promotion of materialism and positivism.
First, mythic structures are vital in terms of social cohesion. They are the very foundation of how we think and act towards each other in a group. In an ideal situation I think the stories that a society uses to understand itself would be an organic devolpment based on the history and shared experiences of that society, unfortunately modern people have for whatever reason come to consider ourselves to be too smart for these myths which have made sense of the world previously - myths are now synonymous with lies and we neglected to replace them with anything substantial. This is a problem because it destroys the unifying foundation or metastructure on which all our understanding is based. Words have no meaning in this situation.
I don't believe Hell, for example, was invented to scare anyone. I don't believe hell is an invention at all, it is real, and people have very good reason to be afraid of it. The problem is that terms like "Satan" and "Hell" are useless without a shared understanding of what those terms mean, if everyone is free to define them however they like then the bonds between language and reality are broken. There is no such thing as Beauty, or Good, or Truth, according to the scientific worldview where only concrete objects are considered real, and there's no way to prove them wrong using their own methodology, so it's great for people who want to fill the vacuum by twisting words and inventing their own versions of reality. Not so great for people trying to genuinely understand or communicate.
It's hard to tell how deliberate our current understanding of the world is, but I certainly think some people take advantage of it. Capitalists for example rely on people believing that there is nothing beyond objects and communists are the same in believing that everything is ruled by economics. The individualism and lack of understanding between people is also obviously a benefit to any ruling class that needs to keep people isolated. I see it all the time on this forum and others, people find it very hard to communicate in any meaningful way because words are all being interpreted according to some private mythology that nobody else understands, since the common foundational myth is gone.
Quote: I didn't read the whole thread, but I think you are right, in a way. The current mythology since the "enlightenment" has been the negation of all mythology through the promotion of materialism and positivism.
I recommend you do read it.
Yes it has been that, BUT also unknowingly creating unconscious myths like scientism made out to be 'the truth'.
Quote: First, mythic structures are vital in terms of social cohesion. They are the very foundation of how we think and act towards each other in a group. In an ideal situation I think the stories that a society uses to understand itself would be an organic devolpment based on the history and shared experiences of that society, unfortunately modern people have for whatever reason come to consider ourselves to be too smart for these myths which have made sense of the world previously - myths are now synonymous with lies and we neglected to replace them with anything substantial. This is a problem because it destroys the unifying foundation or metastructure on which all our understanding is based. Words have no meaning in this situation.
I see a difference from the natural organic myth-making you mean and what I see as toxic myths which are set down to divide and control us, thus creating toxic relations all the way down the line, between us and others, including other species, with the natural world, and even with our own selves, including bodies. This kind of cancerous myth actually manifests as dis-ease for us and our surroundings.
Also, as I see there is this going on:
The majority of people 'educated' are,like you say, led to believe mythology is dead, BUT the ones with all our wealth and the Earth's wealth who oppress us DO have myths! They have extremely toxic myths, (examples: Hermeticism; Tarot Cards; Saturnalia;Kabbalah; Luciferianism) but because we have been trained to think myth is bunk they can use their mythic numbers, symbols, etc in plain sight, but many are blind to see it, and will ridicule others for wanting to reveal it and discuss it.
I have even met with this taboo even in the psychedelic movement. It is very odd. Tt is usually a silence. I get the feeling that people talking about it may feel crazy, and/or don't wanna seem crazy! And so choose not to even say anything to do with this subject.
So what does that mean if true? it means that because we have been made un~conscious of our mythological dimensions, others can manipulate us even more easy by imposing THEIR toxic mythos on us, their stories. That is what this thread is about really.
Quote: I don't believe Hell, for example, was invented to scare anyone. I don't believe hell is an invention at all, it is real, and people have very good reason to be afraid of it. The problem is that terms like "Satan" and "Hell" are useless without a shared understanding of what those terms mean, if everyone is free to define them however they like then the bonds between language and reality are broken. There is no such thing as Beauty, or Good, or Truth, according to the scientific worldview where only concrete objects are considered real, and there's no way to prove them wrong using their own methodology, so it's great for people who want to fill the vacuum by twisting words and inventing their own versions of reality. Not so great for people trying to genuinely understand or communicate.
So are you a Christian who believes in everlasting Hell? And 'Satan'?
Quote: It's hard to tell how deliberate our current understanding of the world is, but I certainly think some people take advantage of it. Capitalists for example rely on people believing that there is nothing beyond objects and communists are the same in believing that everything is ruled by economics. The individualism and lack of understanding between people is also obviously a benefit to any ruling class that needs to keep people isolated. I see it all the time on this forum and others, people find it very hard to communicate in any meaningful way because words are all being interpreted according to some private mythology that nobody else understands, since the common foundational myth is gone.
What do you see as 'the common foundational myth'?
Edited by zzripz (02/04/17 07:20 PM)
|