Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Exploiting Beliefs for Profit $$$
    #3568769 - 01/01/05 08:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Antiquities Fraud

Quote:

from the 4th paragraph:
Scholars said the forgers were exploiting the deep emotional need of Jews and Christians to find physical evidence to reinforce their beliefs.

I find it sadly ironic that the entire concept of faith that is so central to Jewish and Christian values is lost on the vast majority of "believers". If they really understood their own belief system, they'd not have this "deep emotional need... to find physical evidence to reinforce their beliefs".

Disclaimer:
  • "Vast majority" may not include YOU.
  • Finding something "sadly ironic" is not a downplayer/putdown.
  • This post is not directed at any member of the Shroomery.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Exploiting Beliefs for Profit $$$ [Re: Sclorch]
    #3568943 - 01/01/05 09:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

To bring this principle a little closer to this forum, it's pretty common for people to believe in something, to KNOW for CERTAIN that, say, something BIG is going to happen. This belief will not be based on any social or scientific studies, yet they insist on bringing in some kind of half-hearted pseudological argument. Then, when you play with them on the field THEY'VE brought in (the one with rationality) they get all pissed off because you've totally deconstructed whatever information they've put forward.

They then drop their tentative alliance with logic and claim immunity to your arguments. Weak. If you're going to enter the world of rational thought you can't go home, so go big.

The other option is to not bother pretending your beliefs are rooted in any kind of logical thinking at all. There isn't enough of this kind of honesty on this forum.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3568981 - 01/01/05 10:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I find it sad that, on the one hand, there are people so emotional when it comes to their beliefs that they need to find something to prove their beliefs, but on the other hand, it's sad that there are those who will exploit this type of person.

I wonder if those that are perpetuating the fraud are skeptics?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Exploiting Beliefs for Profit $$$ [Re: Frog]
    #3569086 - 01/01/05 10:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
I wonder if those that are perpetuating the fraud are skeptics?

Though it's irrelevant, I think I read that they were the religious type.
What IS relevant is that they were greedy and dishonest.

Edit: Actually... I made the assumption that they weren't skeptics. But with names like Oded GOlan, Faiz al-Amaleh, and Shlomo Cohen... I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that they're religious, at least on the surface.

Edited by Sclorch (01/01/05 11:17 PM)

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
    #3569302 - 01/02/05 12:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

ok this shit is getting kind of old, fuck your disclaimer man
free yourself
if people cant handle what you have to ask/say, then fuck them, this is a respectable place for respectable people and the fact that you basically had to do that to avoid getting bitched at/here people whining about being singled out is assanine.

No offense to you, only general conduct of small minded people

DISCLIAMER: the previous statement WAS directed at certain members of the shroomery and if you have anything against it then fuck yourself, I wont be censored here or anywhere, if you are one of those to whom this is directed, open your mind and close your mouth for awhile, you'll be suprised what you learn by excepting the fact that the way you see things is not the way that anybody else sees things.

anyways,

exploitation is a tradition of organized religion in and of itself, where would any organized religion be without the exploitation of somehting or another, and at this point in time, IMHO, organized religions are no different from corporations, they capitolize upon the fear of fickle people for fiscal gain.

so why not exploit their emotions too, religious leaders, in my eyes(which are not yours, or the color that your arid eyes might be-B.B.)
are perfectly equivelant to CEO's and head politicians, they are all out for money and power, thier only real care or worry is that of capitol gain and social standing...
its all a bunch of bullshit, actually.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
    #3569646 - 01/02/05 02:16 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Sclorch said:
Antiquities Fraud

Quote:

If they really understood their own belief system, they'd not have this "deep emotional need... to find physical evidence to reinforce their beliefs".

I would emphatically agree. Faith has nothing to do with tangible evidence; that's why it's called faith! Religious anthropology has it's place, but it should not be the determining factor in a persons religious identity.

OfflineSprings
Mine(d)
Male User Gallery

Loc: sky hi
Re: Exploiting Beliefs for Profit $$$ [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3569738 - 01/02/05 02:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
The other option is to not bother pretending your beliefs are rooted in any kind of logical thinking at all. There isn't enough of this kind of honesty on this forum.

Werd. I think something bigs comming maybe 2012 maybe not. Why? Probably because I want it to :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology