Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: MorphinTime]
    #16757604 -

I've heard of cases of schizophrenics where one believes in god and another is 100% atheist.  How does THAT work?  How does one version of a single brain believe on thing, yet the polar opposite believes another?

It's obviously "two" people, so how does a god determine heaven or hell?

Things need to be defined.  If the bible is to be taken seriously, there needs to be literal definitions.  What defines a soul (in modern times)?  What defines a man?  What defines good?  Bad?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757606 -

:justno:

No, you are pretty much saying they are stupid haha. You are just saying they have the potential to not be stupid for the rest of time. But they probably will be:lol:

I happen to believe if you are in your twenties and you haven't seen the stupidity of religion you probably never will. Unless you have some super traumatic experience that completely uproots your religious reality. Which is a pretty bitch-ass way of losing your religion. Its kinda of petulant, like "Aw boo hoo, my wife got killed by a mugger, guess God doesn't love me, wah wah, if he let this happen I guess hes not real, cry cry, even though I know for a fact there is genocide and random death every day I only now realized how much bullshit this is, ble ble ble ble ble blech"  :cryaboutit:

Doesn't count yo


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Edited by bloodsheen (08/30/12 12:16 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen]
    #16757654 -

No I really am hating the game.  It sucks that the player buys into it with their entire being, but I don't think they're stupid.  If I was a betting man I'd bet that they were indoctrinated into religion.  They probably didn't live their life until an adult, read into religion, then say, "Hey!! This makes perfect sense!!"  Children are EXTREMELY impressionable.


Like Santa Claus, for example.  He can't POSSIBLY visit all those houses and know who's naughty or nice, yet god can?  Gimme a fucking break.  That's trading one stupid idea for another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757670 -

My aunt said if she had ever had children she wouldn't teach them about santa clause because she doesn't see a reason why they wouldn't come up with that exact comparison (which I'll guess is because she made this comparison as a kid and almost lost her religion from it)

She is hella smart, way smarter than me, and she is still a christian. There is more than one kind of stupid. I agree they are indoctrinated, actually its pretty much a fact, but that doesn't excuse their behavior. I was indoctrinated with thinking drugs are bad but I made the educated decision to try certain ones. Same thing really


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie] * 1
    #16757673 -

A day is a day.  Its not a year, its not a billion years.

Reinventing the meaning to get around modern common knowledge is ultimate lame sauce.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: DieCommie]
    #16757685 -

DieCommie said:
A day is a day.  Its not a year, its not a billion years.

Reinventing the meaning to get around modern common knowledge is ultimate lame sauce.



People do it every day with everything, even on the shroomery :shockedpussy:

Look at all the people here that, regardless of all the addicts out there and the lives they've destroyed, especially their own, they still believe their drug use is under control. They constantly redraw the line of what is too far so they don't ever have to see themselves as evil or worthless

I'm sure you've done something like this in your life but don't realize it. It helps protect your image of who you are and the world around you

Just sayin. Devil's advocate and all


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen] * 1
    #16757707 -

If you feel the need to project that idea onto me, that is your prerogative.  I honestly see that as a knee jerk attempt to evenly distribute the 'blame' so that one does not feel bad by being judgmental.

I have no such compulsion and do not project ridiculous self deceit onto you.  I save the judgement for those who willingly embrace cognitive dissonance.  Everybody is not as bad as christians.  Some are, but not all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: DieCommie]
    #16757789 -

DieCommie said:
A day is a day.  Its not a year, its not a billion years.



A day is the time it takes the earth to make one revolution in regards to the sun. In Genesis, the sun was not created until the fourth day. Not sure how that even makes sense.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16757838 -

Its got so much fail right from the beginning.  There is no point in doing logical and ethical backflips and contortions to try saving it any longer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: DieCommie] * 2
    #16757854 -

IN THE BEGINNING

THERE WAS FAIL.

AND GOD SAW

THAT THE FAIL WAS GOOD!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen] * 1
    #16758320 -

Newbie: I've yet to hear anyone offer a method to interpret the bible the results in a coherent message that doesn't make presumptions inconsistant with it being the word of a divine being who wants us to listen to him.  For example, you could do what most Christians do and just ignore everything that is inconvieniant, but to do that you have to introduce a standard not found in the bible to identify the evil, stupid, and incredible portions you find inconvieniant.


I respect the fundamentalists more- they at least have some contact with reality and aren't willfully ignorant.  It seems they actually read their god's word and try to act on it- the others usually don't even know whats in the bible and yet have the gall to recomend it to children and others.  The arrogance and conceit that it takes to advance a book and theology your ignorant of is just mind boggling.

bloodsheen said:
Hm, im not sure if thats a fair comparison. Religion is totally unprovable



Back that up, please.

The bible says if two people ask god for something in faith, it will be done.  I've ran that test and disproven it.  There are countless examples of god describing the world that can be tested and either validated or disproven.  How is religion unprovable? 

This seems like a cop out people jump to rationalize their desire to see everyone as equal in their views, rationality, et cet. 

Quote:
But you can't just say to somebody "You believe in a magical man in the sky who judges everything we do and influences our lives however he chooses in ways we can't understand. However, the RIDICULOUS part is that you think a man was mocked for being bald so he summoned bears to kill children."

If you believe the first part, the rest follows like dominoes




Huh?  Why can't you say that to someone?


I hear all the time the bible is a good source of morality.  I personally don't like slavery, and if someone advances the Christian Bible as a source of morals, I can presume they do think slavery is acceptable and attack that view.  What's wrong with this?

bloodsheen said:
I happen to believe if you are in your twenties and you haven't seen the stupidity of religion you probably never will.




And what is this based on?


Every one of my friends who's lost religion after coming from a religious upbringing has done so in their twenties, and there are plenty of pieces of evidence this is simply false.  Where are you getting this conclusion from?

This reminds me of the claim that you shouldn't criticize or argue with religious people because it doesn't work.  Its simply false to say that.  All I can figure is that becuase few people will have the moral courage to announce their rejection of their beleifs during a conversation, people somehow conclude that hasn't happened.  We know this is false- it happens all the time, people are just too arrogant to admit it or accept when they've been shown wrong, but it doesn't mean they don't realize it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: johnm214]
    #16758380 -

johnm214 said:
I hear all the time the bible is a good source of morality.  I personally don't like slavery, and if someone advances the Christian Bible as a source of morals, I can presume they do think slavery is acceptable and attack that view.  What's wrong with this?




Not gonna argue with you there. Seems totally reasonable. If that person can't come up with a good explanation they should be judged the way they feel they are permitted to judge others. This is probably my favorite inconsistency of all actually. Its not just something silly (like you shouldn't eat shrimp), its fucking horrible.

However, this is where the problem arises. Lets say you do bring this up. One of two things is likely to happen

A)They will come up with some bullshit contradictory thing in the bible that they would like to believe coincides with their beliefs, even though they don't want to do that with anything else

B)They just get offended and give you a kind "Fuck you"

I feel like you are attacking me btw which I don't get, I'm totally on your side. The reason ive found that most people don't lose their religion past their twenties is because thats my personal experience, all my friends who lost their religion lost it somewhere between 12 (actually one of my friends lost it at 8) and 18. You don't have to be a dick just cause you have a different experience


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16758529 -

@Newbie, growing up I always wondered about this which is why many of the christian sects always seemed so silly to me. I grew up catholic - and catholics believe that the pope is the one who "gets to interpret The Bible" since he is supposed to be "infallible".

The main thing that caused me to rethink everything I had been indoctrinated with growing up was the church's position on gay rights, the hypocrisy and bigotry. I had already started questioning the church after a really strong mushroom trip, one of my very first, where I experienced ego death (I know, quite cliche). But I was more leaning towards the gnostic viewpoint than not believing in anything and spirituality, theory of everything, etc. I was essentially switching one religion for another, but at least I was thinking.
 
As I got older and the more I started thinking and analyzing the more everything started unravelling. I couldn't be an intellectual and still actually hold any of these beliefs - none of them stood up to any tests and they all had glaring holes in them - and I realized that it was a security blanket for me.

Growing up I always thought that atheists had the best life - they didn't have to "worry about going to hell". But when I realized that I didn't believe in anything afterwards, as there wasn't enough evidence, I realized how much of a crutch the whole afterlife concept had been in my life until then. How much of a role death anxiety plays into religion, spirituality, and the afterlife concept.

I believe many religious people don't actually think deeply about these things as its a slightly uncomfortable thought to wonder if your entire life has been based on nothing. Once I started thinking, I couldn't stop, but it was having that catalyst that got me to actually think. Certainly my parents are not dumb - biologist and the other an astrophysicist. Yet neither of them had ever questioned, at least not publicly, their religious views. And both are even more religious now that they are older (My dad used to be what catholics would call "a lukewarm catholic").


--------------------
:brainondrugs:

You are not special :haha:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie] * 2
    #16758809 -

Fuck christians and fuck christanity. Stoopid shit for stoopid people./


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16759688 -

I'm working on a new thread idea. The subject will be "Interpreting Green Eggs & Ham". A book to base your life on if I ever saw one. :yesnod:


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Diploid]
    #16759726 -

Diploid said:
I'm working on a new thread idea. The subject will be "Interpreting Green Eggs & Ham". A book to base your life on if I ever saw one. :yesnod:



I don't eat ham ::emocry:
Nor eggs


--------------------
:brainondrugs:

You are not special :haha:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen]
    #16759736 -

bloodsheen said:
Newbie said:
I can't help myself.  As an atheist I feel it necessary to deny claims without a shred of evidence.  I can't just sit quietly and hold my opinion to myself.  Could you imagine if people that disbelieved that the world was flat just stayed quiet while others were finding out facts and doing something about it spoke THEIR opinions?  If nobody stepped up, where would we be now?



Hm, im not sure if thats a fair comparison. Religion is totally unprovable, its kinda the whole point. The kinds of things that people need to speak out about are things like evolution and the origin of the world/universe. You can literally teach somebody the math and science of carbon dating and prove to them that for the world to hold together and exist as it does today, carbon dating has to be correct.

But you can't just say to somebody "You believe in a magical man in the sky who judges everything we do and influences our lives however he chooses in ways we can't understand. However, the RIDICULOUS part is that you think a man was mocked for being bald so he summoned bears to kill children."

If you believe the first part, the rest follows like dominoes



Evolution just is creation in progress. No problem bringing them into interdependence.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Cyclohexylamine]
    #16759755 -

tymoteusz3 said:
Diploid said:
I'm working on a new thread idea. The subject will be "Interpreting Green Eggs & Ham". A book to base your life on if I ever saw one. :yesnod:



I don't eat ham ::emocry:
Nor eggs



green beans and Tofu?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: BlueCoyote] * 1
    #16759758 -

Quote:
Evolution just is creation in progress.



Evolution is a lot more than that.  You don't do it justice by reducing it to a catchy phrase.

There is indeed problem bringing them into interdependence.  Doing so is willfully ignoring the vast depth and necessary philosophy that surrounds evolution (the theory of evolution by natural selection).  You effectively dilute and neuter it to the point where the best you can do is equate it to a catchy phrase.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: DieCommie]
    #16759776 -

DieCommie said:
Quote:
Evolution just is creation in progress.



Evolution is a lot more than that.  You don't do it justice by reducing it to a catchy phrase.

There is indeed problem bringing them into interdependence.  Doing so is willfully ignoring the vast depth and necessary philosophy that surrounds evolution (the theory of evolution by natural selection).  You effectively dilute and neuter it to the point where the best you can do is equate it to a catchy phrase.



Evolution is L O G I C.


--------------------
As far as I assume to know...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Christianity
( 1 2 3 all )
Digs 6,661 49 07/12/03 06:44 AM
by nubious
* Christianity... the ultimate meme.
( 1 2 3 all )
Psychoactive1984 5,211 46 05/02/05 06:54 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* Christianity, Colonialism, Capitalism and Islam. atomikfunksoldier 2,091 14 07/14/03 07:44 AM
by gnrm23
* My Take On Christianity Anonymous 1,089 8 01/19/03 05:04 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Mushroom Riual Vs. Christianity mjshroomer 1,258 6 03/13/05 05:44 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* "There was only one true Christian..."
( 1 2 all )
silversoul7 4,476 33 02/10/09 10:06 AM
by zen buddy
* Christianity and the threat of Hell
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
CUBErt 20,748 179 05/16/16 07:11 AM
by majicman30
* Christianity = Faith of the Lazy
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Syle 9,791 91 07/04/06 07:23 PM
by Schwammel

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,500 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.