Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: Christianity = Faith of the Lazy [Re: Syle]
    #5818752 - 07/04/06 03:17 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Syle said:
Quote:

Basilides said:
Quote:

Syle said:
Quote:

Basilides said:
Quote:

Syle said:
Still, how do people get anything out of christianity when so little personal worth is used to really delve into their religion?

And don't tell me stuff like: they go to church, they pray, they do fundraisers. Almost every christian I know is one because their family is. Doesn't that seem unfair to anyone?

I'm not really sure what you're referring to. From my experience of places of worship, such as Churches, Hindu Temples, and Mosques, the experience of congregation seems neither pathological or unenjoyed. Many enjoy worship, and many enjoy worship with others.

As for "why" people are Christians.. you don't know the inward lives of others, so why speculate? How is it do the activities and beliefs of others somehow penetrate into your world-view comfort zone thus creating an "unfair" situation?

Ranting about Christianity is so 1990's anyways. It seems people are more busy complaining about Christians than actually having negative encounters with them :rolleyes:

I was generalizing when I should have been more specific. I was referring to people who are born into a christian family and don't generally get the chance to explore other views and theories.

About people not enjoying worship: it might just be my personal experience, but when I was growing up, all I could hear my friends and other family members talk about on Saturday was, "Man, we have church tommorow...sigh". Perhaps this is just my ignorance, but that is the way I have always seen it.

"As for "why" people are Christians.. you don't know the inward lives of others, so why speculate? How is it do the activities and beliefs of others somehow penetrate into your world-view comfort zone thus creating an "unfair" situation?"

Because christianity and other world religions have been the sole cause of war, violence, and hatred for who knows how long. That is the reason for this speculation.

"Ranting about Christianity is so 1990's anyways. It seems people are more busy complaining about Christians than actually having negative encounters with them"

So what, just because it's not the 90s doesn't make these points or "rants" any less relevant.

Does war seem Christ-like to you? If you answer "No", then you have just defended Christianity.

You know as well as I do that that is BS. Wars have been fought for centuries in the name of christianity.

I'm asking you a simple question, does war seem Christ-like to you?

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrepiodos
Disgustipated
 User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles County Jail
Re: Christianity = Faith of the Lazy [Re: Basilides]
    #5819228 - 07/04/06 09:34 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:

"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy"
- Jesus Christ, Matthew 5:7

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God"
- Jesus Christ, Matthew 5:9

"...love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."
- Jesus Christ, Luke 6:27-28

"Whatever you do to the least of my brethren, that you do unto me"
- Jesus Christ, Matthew 25:40
Notice that Christ didn't say, "Whatever you do to the least of my brethren living within the same political boundaries as you, that you do unto me."

--------------------

And as things fell apart,
Nobody paid much attention...

- David Byrne, '(Nothing But) Flowers' from the Talking Heads' album, 'Naked'

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #5819573 - 07/04/06 11:14 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:
Quote:

Syle said:
Quote:

Basilides said:
Quote:

Syle said:
Quote:

Basilides said:
Quote:

Syle said:
Still, how do people get anything out of christianity when so little personal worth is used to really delve into their religion?

And don't tell me stuff like: they go to church, they pray, they do fundraisers. Almost every christian I know is one because their family is. Doesn't that seem unfair to anyone?

I'm not really sure what you're referring to. From my experience of places of worship, such as Churches, Hindu Temples, and Mosques, the experience of congregation seems neither pathological or unenjoyed. Many enjoy worship, and many enjoy worship with others.

As for "why" people are Christians.. you don't know the inward lives of others, so why speculate? How is it do the activities and beliefs of others somehow penetrate into your world-view comfort zone thus creating an "unfair" situation?

Ranting about Christianity is so 1990's anyways. It seems people are more busy complaining about Christians than actually having negative encounters with them :rolleyes:

I was generalizing when I should have been more specific. I was referring to people who are born into a christian family and don't generally get the chance to explore other views and theories.

About people not enjoying worship: it might just be my personal experience, but when I was growing up, all I could hear my friends and other family members talk about on Saturday was, "Man, we have church tommorow...sigh". Perhaps this is just my ignorance, but that is the way I have always seen it.

"As for "why" people are Christians.. you don't know the inward lives of others, so why speculate? How is it do the activities and beliefs of others somehow penetrate into your world-view comfort zone thus creating an "unfair" situation?"

Because christianity and other world religions have been the sole cause of war, violence, and hatred for who knows how long. That is the reason for this speculation.

"Ranting about Christianity is so 1990's anyways. It seems people are more busy complaining about Christians than actually having negative encounters with them"

So what, just because it's not the 90s doesn't make these points or "rants" any less relevant.

Does war seem Christ-like to you? If you answer "No", then you have just defended Christianity.

You know as well as I do that that is BS. Wars have been fought for centuries in the name of christianity.

At the heart of christianity, no. Just as all (or most) organized religions go though, we both know that this is not the case. War and violence has been carried out in the name of religions forever, since their conception. I don't care if "that isn't how christianity SHOULD be", the fact is, that is the way it is.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

#5819771 - 07/04/06 12:17 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

So you acknowledge the problem is with the followers, not the mythology that makes up modern Christianity? This is where I'm stumped - you acknowledge that at the core Christianity is Goodness and Kindness, yet instead of condemning selective interpretations of Christian mythology, you attack the mythology itself still. :shrug:

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #5820276 - 07/04/06 02:53 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:
So you acknowledge the problem is with the followers, not the mythology that makes up modern Christianity? This is where I'm stumped - you acknowledge that at the core Christianity is Goodness and Kindness, yet instead of condemning selective interpretations of Christian mythology, you attack the mythology itself still. :shrug:

Yes, I acknowledge that. Doesn't change my views on the vast majority of the people in that faith though.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

#5820393 - 07/04/06 03:20 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

we'll as long as Christianity is Goodness and Kindness how can it be the mythology..., of the choosen one!

is it a myth or is it real?

Offlinetwelvelookslikeu
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Christianity = Faith of the Lazy [Re: Schwammel]
    #5820690 - 07/04/06 04:46 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

As Limp Biz-quick said,"its all about faith!" Did he even say that?

--------------------

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

#5820799 - 07/04/06 05:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Mythology is allegorism and symbolism that attempts to express a Truth

--------------------

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

#5820867 - 07/04/06 05:45 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

that attempts the truth?

without a purpose!

wahts the point....

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

#5820872 - 07/04/06 05:48 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Allegory and Symbol

--------------------

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

#5821114 - 07/04/06 07:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i've been thinking about Christianity as lazy recently.

It's not so much about Jesus, because you have to make a leap of faith somewhere.

But saying Jesus isn't real..... then he's just a pacifier. It's easy to swallow. It's mysticism completely personified. It gives you a sense of authority, both to follow, and to have protect you. Similar to how putting "an Army of ONE" stickers on your car after 9/11 might make you feel "hey, I'm safe, these guys have guns and bombs and they kick ass.... I will support them"

Assuming Jesus is real then the question is... what is his salvation? For all his followers, how many can work miracles, and how many have the holy spirit? The holy spirit to me means something more than "I feel happy" because it's good to feel happy, that must mean you are on the right rack, but it's more like "I can touch you and align your chakras and blow out energy blockages." and "I have attained eternal life here in the present."

Where is Jesus's Christ-consciousness? It seems pretty hard to get. So because most Christians seem to be normal people, I would say, lazy religion. Pacifier. Doesn't work right.

I would say Buddhists seem more peaceful and evolved than Christians.... who feel that they ahve to do nothing in order to be "saved" whereas Buddhists think the human life is absurdly rare and precious, and hard work must be done in order to purify oneself for higher enlightenments till nirvana.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: Christianity = Faith of the Lazy [Re: leery11]
    #5821181 - 07/04/06 07:23 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

its just me, myself and I...

nobody else

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag