Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Interpreting the Bible.
    #16757363 -

Is complete bullshit.  http://bible.org/seriespage/elisha-and-two-bears-2-kings-223-25

Quote:
23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.



Basically, some bald dude is going somewhere and some kids make fun of his baldness and the guy curses them in the name of the lord.  Shortly after, some bear come and kill 42 children because of this.  I guess the message is that making fun of people is wrong, and the lord will smite you for it.

The point I'm making here is that nobody in their right mind would believe this to be true, and if they DO, they have no grasp on reality.  If they use the excuse of, "Well, it's not LITERAL, it needs to be interpreted", then they're just delusional bullshit artists.

You can't just pick and choose shit from the bible and "interpret" it to mean what you want.  Back then people apparently believed it was true.  You can't just modernize it by putting your own spin on it and call it true.  We shrug off Greek and Roman mythological gods because, well, it's just silly.  But people still believe that a man rose from the dead after a few days?  We believe in talking snakes and talking fire bushes? 


Give me a fucking break. 

The bible is a joke.  The whole concept of religion is a joke.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757375 -

We shrug off Greek and Roman mythological gods because, well, it's just silly.

:frown: I don't. I think those mythologies are really rich and the stories very pertinent even now, especially with some historical context.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Kickle]
    #16757395 -

OH I agree.  They're fascinating.  But most people surveyed would probably say, "I don't worship Zeus, Aphrodite, Ares, etc."  By "shrug off", I mean they don't worship them as valid deities anymore.  They're ancient lore.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Kickle]
    #16757397 -

Bible = play nice
Take into consideration time it was "written" and how many times it's been re-translated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Kickle]
    #16757398 -

Although I agree with you, its more frustration than its worth to talk about it. The more you look at stuff like this the madder you'll get. Like, these people say the bible condemns homosexuality but it also says if you eat shrimp you are damned and if you cut your hair above your temple you are damned

Its too stupid to be worth your time. Think happy, intelligent thoughts mang


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757404 -

Newbie said:
OH I agree.  They're fascinating.  But most people surveyed would probably say, "I don't worship Zeus, Aphrodite, Ares, etc."  By "shrug off", I mean they don't worship them as valid deities anymore.  They're ancient lore.



They would have when it was their time to believe. There were dissenters then, too. One Ancient Greek philosopher (I forget which exactly) wrote how funny it was that all the deities are so human-like and wondered if monkey deities looked and acted as monkeys.

I personally take away from it that it dies in due time and there is always a majority/minority split in every society. And usually the minority are the wiser of the bunch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen]
    #16757415 -

I'll do anything I can to help people think for themselves instead of letting ancient scriptures speak for them.  It's not my main focus in life, but it's something I feel very strongly about.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757425 -

I agree newbie!
Good on ya!
BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Maharishi_2_U]
    #16757446 -

And a dude on the internet with a Mitch Hedberg avatar is obviously an enlightened man whom all Christians would believe over the indoctrination they've been subject to their entire lives

Not trying to be a dick, but if you think a single christian that wasn't already questioning their faith would think twice about a verse of the bible like this you are blind to the stupidity of mankind.

Remember, like Agent Mulder, they Want to Believe. Makes em feel all warm and fuzzy


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen]
    #16757454 -

bloodsheen said:
Remember, like Agent Mulder, they Want to Believe. Makes em feel all warm and fuzzy



I'm aware that I'm participating in an internet discussion, and I'm treating my audience as such.  This isn't exactly MLA format.

This is more geared toward atheists to contribute similar ideas.  I didn't exactly title this thread, "Attention Christians: please stop believing."  However, if christians see this thread and start to use their brains, then some greater purpose arose from this thread.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757473 -

The point I'm trying to make is that bible bangers will practically tattoo what they like about the bible all over their faces, but when something in the bible that's considered just fine, like slavery, rape, etc comes up; all of a sudden it's not literal, it need to be interpreted.  It's a total cop out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757486 -

Newbie said:
bloodsheen said:
Remember, like Agent Mulder, they Want to Believe. Makes em feel all warm and fuzzy



I'm aware that I'm participating in an internet discussion, and I'm treating my audience as such.  This isn't exactly MLA format.

This is more geared toward atheists to contribute similar ideas.  I didn't exactly title this thread, "Attention Christians: please stop believing."  However, if christians see this thread and start to use their brains, then some greater purpose arose from this thread.



Well change the title cause that is a thread I would really wanna visit haha.

Meh, enlightening stupid people isn't worth my time. In the context of a drug forum, many of the people here have either

a)fallen down the rabbit hole of increasingly stupid and crazy spirituality or
b)used their drug experience to teach them the depth of stupidity in regards to religion.

Ive been an atheist since I was about 13 and at the time of my conversation I had a lot of anger and frustration at the ubiquity of Christianity. Whenever I tried to have an intelligent conversation about religion it would always end up with them giving up, but thinking they won because they ended it "Well, God wants it to be that way so it is"

BAM! Discussion over! After five or six years I realized how much time I was wasting. Its not like I was exposed to some super-intelligent radical atheist I admired and it opened up my eyes. I just fucking thought about it. Do I believe there was a dude who was super strong, but then he got his beard cut off and it made him weak? Do I believe three dudes got tossed into a furnace and came out fine?

If you can't figure it out for yourself you shouldn't be an atheist anyway. To me, atheism is all about thinking for yourself. You don't need others to tell you what to think because you do it yourself.


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen]
    #16757507 -

I can't help myself.  As an atheist I feel it necessary to deny claims without a shred of evidence.  I can't just sit quietly and hold my opinion to myself.  Could you imagine if people that disbelieved that the world was flat just stayed quiet while others were finding out facts and doing something about it spoke THEIR opinions?  If nobody stepped up, where would we be now?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie] * 2
    #16757528 -

You can't just blindly follow folklore and call it fact when we have a scientific method that's proven itself since its existence.  If science finds a fault, it goes back to the last known fact.  It constantly improves itself.  Religion just holds onto an idea and expects its followers to do the same.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757534 -

Newbie said:
I can't help myself.  As an atheist I feel it necessary to deny claims without a shred of evidence.  I can't just sit quietly and hold my opinion to myself.  Could you imagine if people that disbelieved that the world was flat just stayed quiet while others were finding out facts and doing something about it spoke THEIR opinions?  If nobody stepped up, where would we be now?



Hm, im not sure if thats a fair comparison. Religion is totally unprovable, its kinda the whole point. The kinds of things that people need to speak out about are things like evolution and the origin of the world/universe. You can literally teach somebody the math and science of carbon dating and prove to them that for the world to hold together and exist as it does today, carbon dating has to be correct.

But you can't just say to somebody "You believe in a magical man in the sky who judges everything we do and influences our lives however he chooses in ways we can't understand. However, the RIDICULOUS part is that you think a man was mocked for being bald so he summoned bears to kill children."

If you believe the first part, the rest follows like dominoes


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen]
    #16757547 -

EXACTLY, and the main point of this thread is that the religious just pick and choose the parts of the bible they like at random, and science says, "That's not valid."  If you take one, you must take all.  The bible is like the rule book of your religion.  Science is our only REAL way of telling us what is real and what is a made up story.

When I'm at work I don't just get to say, "Well I agree with the part about showing up on time, but I disagree with the part about me needing to wear clothes."

When I work I need to follow their standard mode of operation.  I can't just pick and choose and interpret shit to what makes me happy.  It's all or nothing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757554 -

That's like us scientific minds saying, "Well, I like the part where we live, but I don't believe in death."  It just doesn't make sense.  Could you imagine if atheists picked and chose about scientific fact the way that the religious pick and choose about their own life rules?  "Well I believe god created the universe in 7 days, but I don't believe that an earth man and an earth woman should have sex before they're married (another manmade idea)    There'd be no REAL structure to life.  It would just be a world of fairytales and unicorns.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie]
    #16757575 -

But you do that with laws. You say I'm glad that the government is there to stop people from murdering each-other, but I don't like the fact that they are preventing me from putting a drug in my body.

I realize that the difference is that government is ever-changing whereas the bible never changes (other than the countless mistranslations over the years). But there are definitely correlations. People like the good parts about religion and hate the bad parts, so they pick and choose to fit their lives.

Which is exactly what you and I do with our morality, the difference is there is no "bible" to start from. We just believe whatever we want to believe. Which is kind of moral anarchy.

Idk, I'm on the same page as you just not on the telling religious people they are stupid part. If you want them to stop saying drugs are bad mmkay stop telling them they are stupid


--------------------


A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: bloodsheen] * 1
    #16757579 -

I'm not trying to say the people are stupid, I'm saying their beliefs are stupid. 

I'm hating the game, not the player.  I want the player to realize that the game is rigged.  And stupid.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Interpreting the Bible. [Re: Newbie] * 1
    #16757589 -

It doesn't really matter to them if it doesn't make sense.  If a belief makes someone feel good they often pull the :icanthearyou: if any attempt at some sort of rational discussion is made that could challenge said belief. 

I remember in my biotech research group there was a girl who was a born-again Christian.  She was a fellow chem major and was obviously intelligent enough to have even been considered for this particular research group.  So when a discussion turned towards religion I was quite surprised to hear some of her statements regarding biblical accuracy.  She defended things like Noah's Ark being a literal historical event in the earth's past, supported intelligent design , said people in biblical times lived for hundreds of years and had a lifespan longer than our current average.  After that conversation she defriended me on fb because I was trying to "convert her to atheism."


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Christianity
( 1 2 3 all )
Digs 6,661 49 07/12/03 06:44 AM
by nubious
* Christianity... the ultimate meme.
( 1 2 3 all )
Psychoactive1984 5,211 46 05/02/05 06:54 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* Christianity, Colonialism, Capitalism and Islam. atomikfunksoldier 2,091 14 07/14/03 07:44 AM
by gnrm23
* My Take On Christianity Anonymous 1,089 8 01/19/03 05:04 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Mushroom Riual Vs. Christianity mjshroomer 1,258 6 03/13/05 05:44 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* "There was only one true Christian..."
( 1 2 all )
silversoul7 4,476 33 02/10/09 10:06 AM
by zen buddy
* Christianity and the threat of Hell
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
CUBErt 20,748 179 05/16/16 07:11 AM
by majicman30
* Christianity = Faith of the Lazy
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Syle 9,791 91 07/04/06 07:23 PM
by Schwammel

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,500 topic views. 2 members, 1 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.