Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: Importance of Genetic Homosexuality [Re: Phluck]
    #1133325 - 12/11/02 05:22 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hehe, PROBABLY.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Importance of Genetic Homosexuality [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1133331 - 12/11/02 05:27 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well said and well done.

I suggest you read the policy.  :smile:

There are a couple of things I am not keen on:

1.  Branding homophobes bigots.

2.  Branding homosexuals.

As I understand the difference between conceptual abstraction and perceptual abstraction and how it correlates between humans and animals I do, however, see nothing wrong with:

3.  Branding cattle.

Cheers, 

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Importance of Genetic Homosexuality [Re: ]
    #1133352 - 12/11/02 05:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

As far as homophobia being evident everyday, I'd have to point out that "faggot" is probably the most common insult in every north american high school. I seriously doubt this is helping to make the average gay teen comfortable.

It's often subtle, of course, as these things always are.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Anonymous

#1133373 - 12/11/02 05:39 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"As far as homophobia being evident everyday, I'd have to point out that "faggot" is probably the most common insult in every north american high school."

Hmm are there studies to back this up? Who did the studies? Etc

When I grew up gays were beaten up and today many high schools have gay clubs and even where gay pride T-shirts. That seems to contradict your idea.

As I am not a high school student in my area I do not know whether they use that term or not.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1133406 - 12/11/02 05:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I was recently a high school student, and I would have to agree with Phluck. 'Faggot' probably is the most commonly used insult there. I have had people at my school who I do not even know whisper 'faggot' into my ear while I was walking down the hall before (because of my voice, probably), and it really does hurt. It's a very derogative and hateful word when someone says it to you and means it.

Even though some might think that being gay might be "cool" these days, it really is a difficult life to live!

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1133433 - 12/11/02 05:57 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"Hmm are there studies to back this up? Who did the studies? Etc"

Well, I'm basing this on observation. If it's not #1, it's damn close. "Gay" is way up there too. Actually, I can't think of any single insult that would be more common than those.

Next down the list would have to be variations on the theme of idiocy. Sadly, we'll probably never see an end to this kind of prejudice as the stupid lobby can't organize for shit.

"When I grew up gays were beaten up and today many high schools have gay clubs and even where gay pride T-shirts. That seems to contradict your idea."

Just because they have clubs doesn't mean they aren't still beaten up. The reason they have clubs in the first place is because so many of them feel alienated and picked on. Sure things are better, but they're far from perfect, hell, they're far from tolerable.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1133467 - 12/11/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"When I grew up gays were beaten up and today many high schools have gay clubs and even where gay pride T-shirts. That seems to contradict your idea."

The town I live in has one of the highest amounts of gays per capita in Canada, and I believe it wins for having most lesbians per capita (at least second place). I graduated from high school 4 years ago and the word "fag" was used probably an average of every 2 minutes somewhere in the school. No studies, though. There was a guy who acted kinda gay and everybody called him "flamin phil." My best friend was skinny and played guitar, so he was also harrassed. If someone came out in that school it wouldn't have been too pretty.

I feel that any time somebody says that being gay is a choice they're hiding "so they should change" somewhere in their opinions. I imagine that's why it's important for it to be genetic. Before they want people to think it's genetic, though, queers want to get across the message that it's not a choice and that it isn't a result of cooky parenting. Basically, gays can't be blamed for their "problem" so everybody had better learn to live with it.

Someone said something about if it was genetic it would have died off because of lack of gays breeding. Well, I'm acquainted with 3 boys and 2 girls birthed by lesbians, so.. yeah. Also, any Gay I've ever heard talk about what it was like in high school has said something like "I knew I was gay, but I still dated girls." I think lots of people have denied the gay part of themselves because of social pressure, and I think it would be easy to get a girl pregnant in this situation.

Anonymous

#1133499 - 12/11/02 06:15 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well I guess the bottom line is that teenagers can be really mean.

Remember Columbine?

I don't think we can do anything to change people from being mean even if it has to do with genetics.

Anonymous

#1133569 - 12/11/02 06:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I was recently a high school student, and I would have to agree with Phluck. 'Faggot' probably is the most commonly used insult there. I have had people at my school who I do not even know whisper 'faggot' into my ear while I was walking down the hall before (because of my voice, probably), and it really does hurt. It's a very derogative and hateful word when someone says it to you and means it.

Even though some might think that being gay might be "cool" these days, it really is a difficult life to live! 

Well it could be that you are overly sensitive to the issue.

I don't know your story completely but I would guess that here I got you beat.

Here's mine:

As a gangly zit-faced teenager I was, different.  You and I have discussed this before.  When I was a freshman in high school I had the vocabulary of a sophomore in college.  This is because I spent most of my time reading.  When I was in 7th grade I read over 10,000 extracurricular pages from the high school library.  Since I didn't talk very much with my peers I learned how to talk by using the vocabulary I was familiar with which was found in the books I read.  When a teacher called on me I answered articulately which the teachers liked but the students thought I was showing off.

In short, they hated me.  I was abused, beaten up, picked on, ridiculed, and tormented on a daily basis.

The story gets worse.

I did have a single friend that had similiar interests.  We hung out quite a bit together and are still friends to this day.

Then, it happened.  In fact two events happened nearly simultaneously that cause me to remember high school as the worst years of my life.

My friend was caught in a car with his uncle who was trying to have sex with him.  It was in the newspapers and for a small town, pop. 1,200, it was quite a scandal.  Secondly a girl who I really despised asked me to take her to the Prom.  She was so ugly that she used to smear bacon grease on herself just so the dogs would lick her.  And she was so fat her bathtub had stretch marks.  But I digress.  When I wouldn't take her to the Prom she started an ugly rumor that I was gay.

It spread through the school like wildfire and I was completely ostracized.  It was so bad my parents contemplated a civil lawsuit for slander.  In the end they decided it would only make matters worse so they dropped it.

Please don't tell me how bad you had it because in all likelihood I had it much worse or at least as bad.

Things did change though.

After high school I kept growing.  Not too unusual except I did not stop until I was 30.  No medical doctor to date has been able to explain it.  I went from being 5' 10" and 145 pounds to being 6' 3" and 220.

Needless to say nobody picks on me very much these days.

School is tough and people are mean and NO! amount of lobbying is going to change that.

Sad, but true.  :frown:

I really wish you the best because I have been there.

Cheers, 

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1133645 - 12/11/02 07:32 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, kids will always be mean, but 50 years ago, it was probably the one black kid being called "nigger", and today it's the gay kid being called "faggot". You can't stop kids from being mean, but I think in the decades to come, homophobia will become less of a reason for it.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1133653 - 12/11/02 07:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps. As I said earlier I do not know of what kind of torments the kids in high school are going through now. I guess I was hoping it was already better. I guess that shows us where wishful thinking gets us.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1134436 - 12/12/02 05:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I know pretty much firsthand about this. My highschool did have a gay club, and, of course, a handful of openly gay kids. They had a group of friends where they could belong, but they were still relentlessly tormented.

--------------------

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1134518 - 12/12/02 05:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Please don't tell me how bad you had it because in all likelihood I had it much worse or at least as bad.

I'm sorry... I wasn't meaning to imply that I have had the most horrible life there is; I was just trying to say that it still is hard living as a gay person these days. 

I don't think it matters who had a worse life or not.  Those things are in the past and we can choose whether we want to let them affect us now in the present.  Rather, we can choose how we let those things affect us.

I am very sorry for the hardships you've had, but there is no reason to say "I bet my life was harder!"  You are right; people are mean and there is no way for us to change that.  I think we can try to make some people be a little more accepting, though.

Love ya, Plato! :smile:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#1136128 - 12/12/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Love ya too, Steve.  I assumed you knew that. :smile:

Cheers,

Anonymous

Re: Importance of Genetic Homosexuality [Re: chemkid]
    #1142390 - 12/15/02 05:29 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I can't believe there are so many intolerant homophobes at such a place as the shroomery. I hope that someday the hateful ones amongst you will learn to accept people. It doesn't matter if it's genetic or it's a choice. I personally feel it's genetic. It's not that homosexuals "want" it to be genetic. They have personal experience of actually being gay, and most of them think that it's genetic. I've never been gay, so i'm gonna go with their opinion (which has actually been more or less proven by scientific studies) on this one.

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

#1159464 - 12/21/02 03:39 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Homosexuality is evolutions way of population control.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale