Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Loc: look into a child's eyes,...
why judge people based on what you know?
    #852073 - 08/29/02 09:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

why judge people based on what you see in civilized countries? europe...america...they are nothing but bullshit. christians in these countries...muslims in these countries...any religion in these countries are nothing but nominal. lukewarm. nothing to base your opinion on. like the priests raping small children in america....sure that's horrible. but i, as a catholic, will stand up and say: christians/catholics in america are sick and twisted. and 90% of them believe nothing jesus truly taught. they are to twisted and perverted by social conditioning! how can you base what you say about religion on them? try going to a country where the church is under heavy persecution...only people who TRULY believe remain in the church...then you will see love. then you will see conditioning. then you will see people who are willing to die for what they believe in....that is why i am leaving america..the land of the no longer free. the land of the soon to be dictatorship.
just because you've seen people based on one perspective...what makes you think you have a right to make a judgement? there are probably millions around the globe who are not hypocrites. million who are not liars. millions who are not daily sinners.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinechemkid
Be excellent toeach other

Loc: Between a rock and a hard...
Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #852249 - 08/29/02 11:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry bud but everyone is a daily sinner. God built it into us. You say you are Catholic....surely you must know this.

--------------------
An open mind is the greatest journey of all.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #852536 - 08/30/02 06:21 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The trouble with leaving America is you then become a victim of it's foreign policy.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: chemkid]
    #852541 - 08/30/02 06:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

everybody is a sinner...but some people don't do it every day. some people manage to stay "good" for weeks before they do something considered a sin. and of course, it's never by ones own strength, but by the grace of God.
but you missed the whole point of the post. the point wasn't, "do we all sin" the point was: people take one look at the church across the road where people go in with hangovers from partying the night before and say, "look at those hypocrites, ALL christians must be bad."
i have a tendency to flinch when some one says they're an atheist/agnostic...but that's just based on SOME attacks i've recieved...then i meet people like swami who are nice, and open minded...who don't try to change me and treat me like a blubbering idiot just because i choose to believe in a higher power...then i realize not all people who call themselves atheists are bad guys.
i'm so sick of hearing the blanket statement (lie) "christians are hypocrites."

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #852554 - 08/30/02 06:39 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i'm so sick of hearing the blanket statement (lie) "christians are hypocrites."

but aren't all christians hypocrites by definition? Don't they admit that they are all sinners? (that's why they need salvation) And at the same time don't they tell the rest of us how we should live without sin?

I guess anyone who claims any moral authority is a hypocrite.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #852741 - 08/30/02 08:29 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Every one is not a sinner I don't sin!

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: Xlea321]
    #852838 - 08/30/02 09:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The trouble with leaving America is you then become a victim of it's foreign policy.

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA

whiterasta-
Instead of pussing out and running away, why don't you get up, stand up... stand up for your rights... don't give up the fight?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #853375 - 08/30/02 03:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

no. a hypocrite is one who lives unlike they preach and doesn't admit their mistakes....but one who lives like they preach (through the grace of God, and not by works so that no man should bost) doesn't condemn others for how they live (there is a difference between condemning and admonishing), and owns up to his or her own mistakes...there is nothing hypocritical about.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: Sclorch]
    #853388 - 08/30/02 03:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

ah well bro, i may be pussing out and running away. but really, the main reason i am leaving is that i feel a religious calling to travel and preach about peace and love to all...to build bridges between religions and denominations.
and besides, who said he was talking about standing up for your rights in america in particular? maybe he was reffering to just standing up for your rights on a day to day basis anywhere you happened to be. bob is hard to understand sometimes.
i will be in america for another nine months or so, and i will stand up for my rights, but then i will go somwhere else, because that is where i feel the calling to go. the way america is turning out just confirms my decision.
but that is off topic.
topic is...why judge people based on just the few example most people know of them? only one person has actually responded to this thus far.
peace bro....thanks for making me think of the running away bit from that perspective.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offline11polakie11
PeripheralCustodian

Loc: G-Ville FLA
    #853876 - 08/30/02 08:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

why don't you all just "worry" about yourselves and what you consider your own sins. Define them however you wish, think whatever you'd like about other people but remember as christians the things jesus said (jesus christ = christianity does not = the bullshit beaurocracy which exists today) - which were statements of brotherhood, acceptance, faith and love - not critism, alienation and disgust.

adam

--------------------
-i am waiting for my boyfriend/compainion-
_I wish i were Aeon Flux_

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: 11polakie11]
    #854157 - 08/31/02 12:39 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

amen. worry about yourself, love one another.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlineuno
enthusiast

#858620 - 09/02/02 11:12 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Just for the record, atheists and agnostics are two entirely different things.

--------------------
- uno

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #858765 - 09/02/02 12:46 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have some questions, if you mind asking.
How would you define someone who's religious without religion ? Someone who believes in a "higher power" without the need to believe in god ?
Another question, isn't generalizing, labeling, stereotiping an erroneous reasoning ? If so, why do you say "i have a tendency to flinch when some one says they're an atheist/agnostic" ?
And a last one, do you know the difference between an agnostic and an atheist ?
Thanks.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: MAIA]
    #858927 - 09/02/02 02:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

maia....you know i honestly don't know what i want to say to you here...it's just a feeling. kinda like...you know, you frusterate me. not because i think you are right and don't want to admit it....you're just..hmmm ...cocky would be a good word. false humilty? whatever, maybe i'm just reading into you to much. sorry!

anyway, last first.
And a last one, do you know the difference between an agnostic and an atheist

duh. agnostics wonder or seach for a higher power.
athiest (from greek a and theos) means...literally "no God"

How would you define someone who's religious without religion ? Someone who believes in a "higher power" without the need to believe in god ?

well, if you just think about your sirituality, then you are spiritual. but if you in any way act open it, then you are religious...because religion is basically an expression of ones spirituality. in my opinion...i could be wrong.
hey, are you a capricorn? see i am, and i'm trying to figure out why we seem to clash so bad.

isn't generalizing, labeling, stereotiping an erroneous reasoning ? If so, why do you say "i have a tendency to flinch when some one says they're an atheist/agnostic"

yes it is wrong to do any of the above. i'm sorry for when i do. so why do i say "i have a tendency to flinch when some one says they're an atheist/agnostic"
READ THE WHOLE POST and maybe you will figure it out.
the reason i do is because of how i've been treated in the past by people who claimed those ways of thought. now, it's wrong of me too, but like i said, it's a reaction. reactions are many times embedded deep down inside a person, and they come out automatically...
let me say this clearer: i react badly when someone tells me they don't believe in God, because in MY experience, 99% of everyone i've met who says that. is in essence. and asshole with loop thinking. and they treat me like crap because i am a christian. even though i used to not believe in God myself...i never was like that. now i KNOW that not all atheists are like that. i have just been unlucky enough to run into only the ones that are.
now i've found this place called the shroomery, and there are nice atheists...but i'm still trying to get over my deeply imbedded past experiences...please have a little patience with me. okay maia?  :grin:

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #860491 - 09/03/02 02:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That's ok. I'm a cancer , scorpio is my ascendant btw.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemr freedom
enthusiast
    #862143 - 09/03/02 06:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I admit it, I took this quote out of context, but I couldn't resist.
"i react badly when someone tells me they don't believe in God, because in MY experience, 99% of everyone i've met who says that. is in essence. and asshole with loop thinking. and they treat me like crap because i am a christian. even though i used to not believe in God myself...i never was like that. now i KNOW that not all atheists are like that. i have just been unlucky enough to run into only the ones that are."

Now, my quote, with a few changes:

I react badly when someone tells me they Do believe in God, because in MY experience, 99% of everyone I've met who says that is, in essence, an asshole with loop thinking. They treat me like crap because I have no need to worship at the feet of the INVISIBLE MAN, even though I used to beleive in God myself, I was never like that; now I KNOW that all religous people ARE like that, even when they purport to be doing the work of their GOD, it only means that they will use force, if neccessary, to make me live by their rules and to protect me from committing sins against their version of the INVISIBLE MAN.

Ps. and GOD help you if you are worshipping the WRONG WAY.

InvisibleServator
Viral Agent

Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: mr freedom]
    #862147 - 09/03/02 06:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have to agree with you full force on that one man. I used to be christian too, and every single christian I met (and there were ALOT) with only one or two exceptions had the attitude "If you're not exactly like me, you are evil" I mean hell, look at practically EVERY single piece of christianity enspired legislation. It's all basically designed to reinforce the ideal that our side is good, pure, and knows exactly what to do with your wicked ass.. Just me $.02, better stop now before I start ranting...  :grin:

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: why judge people based on what you know? [Re: Servator]
    #862622 - 09/04/02 01:42 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I don't currently hold any religious stance, but I have noticed alot of people I know who go to church do not know the first thing about it. They either go because they were born that way, or socially expected to, and its normal ruitine. Or they go as a 'just incase,' a backup plan, or a way to feel good about doing bad thinking because Jesus died on a cross it means they can do anything they want, and not be eternaly punished.

Invisiblepook
Habitual line stepper
Male
    #862738 - 09/04/02 04:07 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

try going to a country where the church is under heavy persecution...only people who TRULY believe remain in the church...then you will see love. then you will see conditioning. then you will see people who are willing to die for what they believe in....that is why i am leaving america..the land of the no longer free. the land of the soon to be dictatorship.

What makes you think you will see anything different in another country? The same problems exist there, you would step out of the minority church and see your fellow believers, generalising and catagorising the mainstream religeon. You would still be surrounded by people with the same mental pattern. Humans have a tendency to do that. Sit down with the pope, given some time you would find places where his opinion differs from the majority of the population, once we become aware of that the pattern would kick in again, dividing up the catholic population.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology