Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
To judge or not to judge
    #1744733 - 07/24/03 01:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"Don't judge"!

I don't get it. Why is everyone spewing this corny moral statement everywhere I go?

It doesn't make sense to me. To not judge means to not make observations, and to not develop opinions.

I have observed, through historical documentation, that Jeffrey Dahmer was a muderer, a rapist, and a necrophiliac. Therefore my opinion of him is that he is a sick twisted fuck. But wait a minute... "Don't judge"!

Hitler murdered millions of people... I'd say he was a pretty bad dude. But that's judging, and judging is wrong! Or is it?

Seems to me that "not judging" means accepting that things are just fine on this planet and everybody is a good person.

Prejudgement is another thing. Nobody should judge withouthout sufficient knowledge of what it is they are judging, so shouldn't we really be saying "Don't pre-judge"?

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1744747 - 07/24/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"Hitler murdered millions of people... I'd say he was a pretty bad dude."

I'm not going to argue with that, but I will say that Hitler was a product of his influences...

who is to say that if you were dealt the same hand, you would have played it any differently?

Hitler was not a demon or a monster. he was a human being. he took a lot of shit from the world, then he gave it back 100x. The moral of the story is, be nice to people, because you never know who is going to assume power and then put your ass in a deathcamp...

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1744783 - 07/24/03 01:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
I'm not going to argue with that, but I will say that Hitler was a product of his influences...

who is to say that if you were dealt the same hand, you would have played it any differently?

Definitely a product of his influences and the environment he grew up in, but I wouldn't say that's entirely what made him who he was. He had his choices to make, and he made some bad ones. There are people who have grown up under similar circumstances and have turned out to be good people. I don't think that we all start exactly the same in life and become what our environment causes us to become, although it does play a signifigant role. I would say a lot of it is in fact our inherent tendencies for making certain choices.

But I don't want it to become a discussion about Hitler or anything, just using him as an example for the question of judging people...

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#1744793 - 07/24/03 01:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"Judge" has several different meanings, a couple meanings I may tell somebody if they make quick judgement:

Quote:

To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration: judge heights; judging character.

Law. To hear and decide on in a court of law; try: judge a case.
Obsolete. To pass sentence on; condemn.
To act as one appointed to decide the winners of: judge an essay contest.
To determine or declare after consideration or deliberation.
Informal. To have as an opinion or assumption; suppose: I judge you're right.
Bible. To govern; rule. Used of an ancient Israelite leader.

I think most would be referring to the condemning part when saying "don't judge".
In the case of hitler I don't see anybody using that phrase. But say you saw a homless person on the street and made a negative comment, one might tell you not to judge because you don't know why they are in that situation ( they may have lost there whole family in a fire or are mentally ill). So who are you to judge?

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #1745043 - 07/24/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think the implied meaning behind the phrase "don't judge" is to not make rash judgements.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: Sclorch]
    #1745056 - 07/24/03 03:13 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think as well as rash judgements it refers to the myriad of small judgements we make on a daily basis, alot of the time with out even realising it. I catch myself doing it regularly! Maybe sat on a bus sizing people up and making assumptions/judgements that are merely a reflection of myself and have no basis in fact. Obviously the scope for these error strewn judgements is very wide in life and their potentially negative effects can reach even wider.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1745139 - 07/24/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

One meaning is "don't judge people", i.e. don't classify people as permanent members of the category of good people or the category of bad people. The only things that can be judged are the decisions that people make.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1746376 - 07/24/03 11:01 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

maybe you're referring to the christians who say that we shouldn't judge. "judge not lest you be judged" or some crap like that.
well the funny thing is that they're not supposed to judge but all they do is judge! they're very good at it too.

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1746568 - 07/25/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't care who you are or what religious background you emcompass, we all judge people and the actions they make. If I didn't take time to judge a person before I got to know them then I would have allowed a lot of stupid people to influence my life in a negative way. Some people are just better left excluded from your life.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: djd586]
    #1746689 - 07/25/03 12:29 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think that this whole nonjudgemental, politically-correct trip that society is on is one of the greatest evils ever to be introduced to human society.

It's right to judge. It's human to judge. Keep circumstances in mind, but when it comes down to it -- never be afraid to call evil evil and to call good good. Act as you should act in all things: with surety. If you're not sure, don't pronounce sentance, but if you are sure, don't be afraid.

That's what I personally take "Judge not lest ye be judged" as -- a commandment not to judge lightly, but to do it with full surety of purpose -- and an eye for hypocrasy.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Anonymous

Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: Sev]
    #1746822 - 07/25/03 01:17 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbdown:

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: Sev]
    #1746832 - 07/25/03 01:22 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Right on. Infidel, djd and Sev, good comments.
We must judge, or we deny our nature. Those who pretend that they don't judge, and preach about not judging are hypocrits.

Also funny that certain religions are always preaching about not judging and not condemning... yet all that many of them do is judge and condemn those who are not of their religion.

"What, you're not Christian? You weren't baptised? Then you're a slave of Satan, and you're doomed to eternal pain and suffering in the pits of hell unless you repent and confess and blah blah blah."

If that's not the biggest load of hypocricy you've ever heard, I challenge somebody to come up with a better example!

--------------------

OfflineQuadrant6
Blood Red Eyes

Loc: Holland
    #1747381 - 07/25/03 07:50 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think you can make opinions all you want, but I be sure not to use them the wrong way. Wise people may not be able to teach fools, but fools will certainly give a grip of knowledge to the wise. Judge people all you want, but dont use those judgements to put them below or above you, they are simply diffrent.

--------------------
"Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire."
Jorge Luis Borges

Invisiblehelix
Idealist Thinker Musician Lover
Male User Gallery

#14328862 - 04/21/11 05:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Amnesiac said:
Quote:

DoctorJ said:

Definitely a product of his influences and the environment he grew up in, but I wouldn't say that's entirely what made him who he was. He had his choices to make, and he made some bad ones. There are people who have grown up under similar circumstances and have turned out to be good people. I don't think that we all start exactly the same in life and become what our environment causes us to become, although it does play a signifigant role. I would say a lot of it is in fact our inherent tendencies for making certain choices.

But those critical capacities and inherent tendencies are produced IN RESPONSE to our given environment since birth. We're always using them and making choices, yes, but always in response to our experiences and the information that we've chosen to take from those experiences as dictated by what our past experiences have taught us is  important to take away from each given experience ('whew')

As someone sort of already said, though i'm making this up as I go along so any enhancements are welcome, rather than judge people as bad or good, it's more ethically sound to judge actions as bad or good, based on certain universal standards such as how many people can be harmed physically, emotionally, etc, in a given action

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #14329127 - 04/21/11 06:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Amnesiac said:
It doesn't make sense to me. To not judge means to not make observations, and to not develop opinions. 

Observe, but don't develop opinions.

--------------------

Invisiblequinn
some kinda love
 User Gallery

Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: NetDiver]
    #14329475 - 04/21/11 07:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hitler murdered millions of people...

hmmm... i wonder why? :tongue:

--------------------
dripping with fantasy

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: To judge or not to judge [Re: quinn]
    #14329983 - 04/21/11 08:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Um, to try to prevent TV shows like Seinfeld?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order