Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
What does the DARKNESS mean to you?
    #3419825 - 11/28/04 06:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I often write stuff about transcending, facing, illumining and overcoming the darkness. I read others write about fighting it, banishing it and turning away from it. It got me wondering what that word means to people be it literally, spiritualy, religiously, scientificaly or cosmicaly.

I think this is one of the words where we assume everyone else has our personal definition of it and give it the same meaning we do and I doubt that's the case. When you see that word written in this forum, what does it mean to you?

Of course, there are no right or wrong answers, I just thought it would be interesting to see how many different maenings and definitions are floating around out there.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (11/28/04 06:50 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3419835 - 11/28/04 06:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

charlie murphy.

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: ]
    #3419860 - 11/28/04 06:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Light is not dependent on Darkness but Darkness can only be created in the shadow of Light.

Darkness is ignorance, fear and isolation. A dark room or road is dangerous and filled with obstacles without a light to illuminate it.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: EgoTripping]
    #3419870 - 11/28/04 06:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

damnit, i had it for like 2 sec there, fuck it I'm posting anyways!

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: ]
    #3419927 - 11/28/04 07:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Mush! That cracked me up! How would you describe the "character nature" of him to anyone who doesn't watch Chapelle?

I would say he "lives in the moment" , puts himself above laws and rules, and lives with no remorse or regret.

(Chapelles version of the real world was hysterical)

GOMP! LOL, your reply mind fucked me. That was like a 5 way meanings all at once. I was laughing so hard my eyes teared up. We should play telepathy games on AOL IM.

Ego tripping,
Can you expand on what you said about the light not being dependent on the dark either literally or with analogies?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3419937 - 11/28/04 07:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

P.S.

I will interpet just one of the meanings that came through gomps reply be it he was aware of it or not (what a channel he is)

The darkness is like brain fart. LOL

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #3419940 - 11/28/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I shall speak for him, because we often are on the same train of thought.

Ego Tripping is entirely correct. Light is NOT dependent upon darkness (Then again, light originated out of the darkness of the universe).

Darkness needs Light.

I realized this just a while ago myself.

Light is basically Truth. According to science, Light is the building blocks of reality. Without Light, nothing can exist.

Darkness is Sin. Sin is disharmonious energy interactions, based on intent. Disharmony is two or more parties of energy involved contrary to the natural , positive, evolving flow of things.

Harmony can exist without darkness, but sin, darkness, evil, etc cannot exist without the light from which to corrupt.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3419952 - 11/28/04 07:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If somebody mixed all the colors the resultant color becomes Black.
One that contains all the colors in general but None in particular.

Pure Black in fact, contains white as well which is in itself simply the absence of all colors.

So you would then call Pure Black, a color, in absence of all colors? in absence of White as well.

Scientists say that you can not truly ?see? pure Black. Can you ?see? a Black hole in outer space?

The Darkness represents Pure Black, which represents Nothingness to me.

But what is Nothingness?

If No-thing is mother of Every-thing, then is it really Nothing?
If it doesn't have size, shape, color, any other attribute or even the Dimension of consciousness? is it truly a `Thing'?

Can the Mother of all attributes really have NO attribute?
Is this not absurd, insane, irrational, and illogical even to think
about?
If it has no attribute then where do the attributes come from? From where does the Consciousness spring forth?

To call it infinity can often be misleading because infinity gives
impression of something very large, something vast, and something that is so Big that its limits are not known.

But this, in fact, has ZERO dimensions.

Not big, or small, tall or wide, but beyond all dimensions.

It is Mother of all. It existed before all. It is the background, the fabric, the whole underpinning of the Universe.

In it is abstruse mystery, darker than the deepest water, blacker than the sleep of sleeps. It is an inconceivable fertility, a wild and uncontrollable realm from which strangeness and power and creativity and mutation and life spring. The miracle of birth comes from it. And the horror of death. That is why it is both comforting and frightening.

Stars and planets scatter through it like luminescent pearls. It strings them out on it?s current effortlessly, and the pull of energy is so tremendous that the birth shape of the earth is pulled out of roundness, the seas exceed their brims, and the heads and hearts of all the creatures on this planet are made to pound and wonder in dazzled confusion.

When stars and novas burst, energy untold is unleashed ? explosions of such magnitude that human intellect and instruments could never hope to measure even if made superior by a hundredfold ? and yet these flames burn out, sputter, become dim coals in the supreme expanse that is the darkness, the pure black, the night, the nothingness.

It is the mother without a mother. It is mystery and power and ruler of all time.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #3419971 - 11/28/04 07:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well!

I don't beleive in right and wrong when it comes to our personal interpretive meanings and definitions of a word like darkness.

It's either all correct from each point of view or all wrong period.
I ca't see this stuff dualistically, I can only see it multi perceptually, from infinite viewpoints, and layers.

Thanks for sharing yours , as I suspected many others apply different meanings and definitions to the word from my own. I appreciate being able to hear all of the ones floating around out there.

If light came out of the darkness, how was it not dependent on it then? I would like to understand what you guys are seeing with such assuredness, cuz I don't get it.

Of course, being in the midst of brilliant light is a wash without the dark and it can be on it's own, only you wouldn't know it anymore so it's ..............a wash.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3419975 - 11/28/04 07:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:wink:  :thumbup:

"There is but one word, describing darkness."
-unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (11/28/04 07:38 PM)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3420037 - 11/28/04 07:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I would use the word as in "The Dark Ages"

People were stupid back then, and people pulled carts with square wheels and bought pieces of paper that go them into heaven. Thank god for science.

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: Gomp]
    #3420053 - 11/28/04 07:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I thought Black was absence of color and White Light was the combination of all, hence why you shine White Light through a Prism and see the Rainbow.

Supermarket did an adequate job in explaining what I mean.

This physical life is lots of darkness with light scattered throughout while the next life (if we are advanced enough as souls to get there) is mostly Light with some darkness.

I once heard an analogy that said the Physical Realm is like the Negative of the Photograph but the true existance is brighter and more colorful than we could ever imagine.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3420065 - 11/28/04 07:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Skorp,

I enjoyed reading through that interpretation. Sounded like how i run through lines of thought in my head.

Shroom Hermit,

That was funny! What are all of the reasons the dark ages were called the dark ages anyway?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3420079 - 11/28/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:
If somebody mixed all the colors the resultant color becomes Black.
One that contains all the colors in general but None in particular.

Pure Black in fact, contains white as well which is in itself simply the absence of all colors.

So you would then call Pure Black, a color, in absence of all colors? in absence of White as well.

Scientists say that you can not truly ?see? pure Black. Can you ?see? a Black hole in outer space?

The Darkness represents Pure Black, which represents Nothingness to me.

But what is Nothingness?

If No-thing is mother of Every-thing, then is it really Nothing?
If it doesn't have size, shape, color, any other attribute or even the Dimension of consciousness? is it truly a `Thing'?

Can the Mother of all attributes really have NO attribute?
Is this not absurd, insane, irrational, and illogical even to think
about?
If it has no attribute then where do the attributes come from? From where does the Consciousness spring forth?

To call it infinity can often be misleading because infinity gives
impression of something very large, something vast, and something that is so Big that its limits are not known.

But this, in fact, has ZERO dimensions.

Not big, or small, tall or wide, but beyond all dimensions.

It is Mother of all. It existed before all. It is the background, the fabric, the whole underpinning of the Universe.

In it is abstruse mystery, darker than the deepest water, blacker than the sleep of sleeps. It is an inconceivable fertility, a wild and uncontrollable realm from which strangeness and power and creativity and mutation and life spring. The miracle of birth comes from it. And the horror of death. That is why it is both comforting and frightening.

Stars and planets scatter through it like luminescent pearls. It strings them out on it?s current effortlessly, and the pull of energy is so tremendous that the birth shape of the earth is pulled out of roundness, the seas exceed their brims, and the heads and hearts of all the creatures on this planet are made to pound and wonder in dazzled confusion.

When stars and novas burst, energy untold is unleashed ? explosions of such magnitude that human intellect and instruments could never hope to measure even if made superior by a hundredfold ? and yet these flames burn out, sputter, become dim coals in the supreme expanse that is the darkness, the pure black, the night, the nothingness.

It is the mother without a mother. It is mystery and power and ruler of all time.

Yay, I knew someone would come along and express my thoughts for me.. heh.. I don't have the energy tonight.

But anyway, I would like to build off of what Skorp said and add this:

Too often the darkness is feared or treated as an evil or bad thing. I think we need to move past this insistance, as it clings to the concept of it being attributed in the first place, (thereby furthering the dependance on dualistic thinking--and therefore furthering dependance on the ego.)

The real truth is that this formless void that life springs forth from is not only necessary, but beautiful if we choose to embrace it.

To only embrace the light and to avoid the dark is a struggle against what is.

Instead, I believe that one should allow both to flow through him or her without resistance... When one is faced with dark times, instead of wasting precious energy fighting off the darkness and seeking out the light, one could choose to allow both to flow by.

From the role of the observer, one can find the great beauty that lies in both dark and light, heaven and hell, good and evil.

Sit back and observe the chaos and darkness instead of allowing it to swallow you and you will find that there is great beauty to be beheld from this perspective.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: EgoTripping]
    #3420102 - 11/28/04 08:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

""If No-thing is mother of Every-thing, then is it really Nothing?
If it doesn't have size, shape, color, any other attribute or even the Dimension of consciousness? is it truly a `Thing'? ""

"nothing is not-thing, it is material"
-unknonw:P

nothing is composed of matter?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3420120 - 11/28/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Take all of that and I want to add to something Ego tripping commented on.

if a prism sorts out all of the colors of light and all of the colers make the dark then can't they be reversed and doesn't that make them interchangeable "as is", and defined when colors are separated from each other?

Whats the state of light before going through the prism and whats the state of darkness when the prism colors are blended together? How are they different? Whats the difference between the light dark and color in isolation?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3420153 - 11/28/04 08:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hm.. let's see.. you are giving me some brainstorms. Doesn't answer your questions, but ponder on this...

Metaphorically speaking, perhaps the prism can represent our conscious train of thought, or our ego. As light passes through the prism, it seperates into multiple isolated colors. I see a metaphorical parallel between that concept and our "delusion of seperation by way of consciousness."

The light shines through the prism, and we perceive a projection of ourselves to be seperated... but in actuality we are still part of the light all along... we simply perceive a projection of seperation as a result of the light being filtered through our ability to perceive it in the first place.

Wow, I don't know how much sense THAT made... hahaha...

Furthermore: We perceive ourselves to be different, when we are actually all made up of the same thing.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3420170 - 11/28/04 08:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Bueno! :wexican:

I wasn't think that as I was typing but hoped some else would think it and elucidate it better then I could!

I got what you did but couldn't figure out where the darkness came into play , if we are color in isolation. Blending all the colors is how you get the dark. I havn't found where or how it fits.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
    #3420171 - 11/28/04 08:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Take all of that and I want to add to something Ego tripping commented on.

if a prism sorts out all of the colors of light and all of the colers make the dark then can't they be reversed and doesn't that make them interchangeable "as is", and defined when colors are separated from each other?

Whats the state of light before going through the prism and whats the state of darkness when the prism colors are blended together? How are they different? Whats the difference between the light dark and color in isolation?

I do not feel all the colors make the dark. I feel the removal of color makes the dark.

Color in isolation is complicating the same idea; it's darkness (absence of color/light).

I've never heard of All colors creating Darkness, only White Light. I could be wrong, but does anybody have more info on this to say otherwise?

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: What does the DARKNESS mean to you? [Re: Gomp]
    #3420179 - 11/28/04 08:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
""If No-thing is mother of Every-thing, then is it really Nothing?
If it doesn't have size, shape, color, any other attribute or even the Dimension of consciousness? is it truly a `Thing'? ""

"nothing is not-thing, it is material"
-unknonw:P

nothing is composed of matter?

If it exists, it's a thing. Gravity has no color, texture, sound, smell, size or shape. But it's a thing, a force, it undeniably exists and it's strong enough to keep the planets in Orbit.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology