Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4396085 - 07/12/05 02:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Religion is institutionalized. That's my main premise against religion. Paganism and monotheism are very inept in principle. Since enlightenment is meant to be given after death many peoples don't attempt to find themselves within their life spand. And as we know by the rules handed down in these major religions, the purpose is not to improve your life but to teach you how to live your life. When we look back, we see that most of these texts were written in times of great peril and ignorance. They speak of death, plague, hell, and then heaven. It teaches people to fear. Reminds me of a totalitarian state.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4396168 - 07/12/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
-coyote in-
To say something is bullshit, only because people misuse(d) it, is a too poor argument.
Atomic fusion isn't bullshit, only because people build bombs out of it.
-coyote out-

im also saying that is BS because of why it was created and how it came about. we proved to japan atomic fusion is real. not one person can prove that jesus was the son of god :wink:

Yes, the only proof is the word of the prophets and the vision of each ones 'spiritual heart' of living existance.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4396276 - 07/12/05 02:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

***my point is stop believing in horse shit some asshole created just because people in charge tell u to believe it.***

ok, your analytical skills are almost on par with a marxist layman, keep trying.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4396305 - 07/12/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

You see, there is no "they" or "them," there is only you and me and he and she. It is all very individual and you are describing a collective madness or movement. Crusades, inquisitions, pograms, persecutions, witch-hunts and wars are not conducted by Christians. Christians are human beings who are 'in Christ,' and if one is 'in Christ, and He in you,' then your individual motives are governed by Compassion, by Truth. Anyone can 'call' themselves a Christian, carry crosses or wear crosses into battle (like the crusading Knights Templar), but that doesn't mean any of those people are really Christians any more than a wolf in sheepskin is a sheep.

Yet if I listen to some "satanic" music and then go shoot up my workplace/school the music is blamed by christans. But when someone picks up a cross and goes kills someone I have to place the blame elsewhere?

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #4396320 - 07/12/05 03:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'd say the only real problem with christianity is that most Christians veiw Jesus as a savior instead of a role model...

Thus, instead of trying to emulate Jesus's kindness and compassion, most Christians take their faith in him as a 'get out of Hell free card'... "Oh well, I'm a terrible sinner but that's OK because I'm saved... now lets go bomb the hell out of some Iraqis so we can have cheap gasoline... Jesus will forgive us; that is his job, after all..."

as Ghandi once said:

"I like your Christ, but I dislike your Christians... Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: DoctorJ]
    #4396332 - 07/12/05 03:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #4396333 - 07/12/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Exactly! Could'nt have put it better myself!!!! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Sycronica]
    #4396502 - 07/12/05 04:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have no idea what in blazes you are talking about.

InvisibleFurrySheep
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Loc: nURHEAD
    #4396528 - 07/12/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I realize that religion while it often times hurts people, is really about love and happiness.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4396573 - 07/12/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Another example of someone who hasn't bothered to ask a simple question like "What does it mean when Jesus is called 'Son of God' in the Bible?" All the Kings of Israel were referred to as 'sons of God' in the Old Testament. It is not a title unique to Jesus. Only people who haven't bothered to read the books that Jesus read would come up with that question. Son of God refers to the 'divine right of kings' - the idea that monarchs were God's choice - an idea that existed at the times of the Egyptian pharoahs, in European monarchs, and elsewhere in the world - including among the Hebrews.

Apocalyptic writers like Daniel had another meaning for 'sons of God' - a closer meaning to the one that theologians eventually attached to Jesus, turning 'a man annointed by God' into 'God clothed in flesh' (a Greek idea of a 'Hero' and not the former Hebrew idea of a Messiah).

So, instead of protesting against everything - why don't you find out what was meant by these words first? BTW, 'The Way' WAS a Jewish 'cultus' within mainstream Judaism. It was called 'The Way' for close to 200 years before the followers were called 'Christians.' As to following Jim Morrison or Terrance McKenna - you are free to follow anyone you want in this free country so knock yourself out! I made my choice long ago as to whose Teachings to base my inner life on.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4396918 - 07/12/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am not a Christian, but I think you missed the whole point of Jesus and the "get out of Hell free card" of asking forgiveness. Jesus was a messiah. A messiah frees a people. Jesus sacrificed himself, in this mythology, that other Christians might be free from the original sin...you know the whole Garden of Eden scandal. For the low down on forgiveness read the parable of the prodigal son.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4396948 - 07/12/05 05:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Even if one is not a religious person they should have the grace to allow others their religion. You don't have to agree with it to respect other people's rights and opinions. If you oppose a point of religion do it for practical reasons...not emotional ones like your upbringing and how much the Bible was shoved up your ass. Be careful your intolerance does not lapse into hate....which is what this thread seems to be bordering on.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

#4396969 - 07/12/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

word

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4397091 - 07/12/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
historians

I don't recal any historians debunking contents of the Bible. Most of the events from Bible have been confirmed by modern archeology and history, like the whole situation with romans, jews, babilon, even the place where red sea was crossed has been more or less found (a theory set at least). A place where watter is shalow and in some special tide seasons you can cross it on foot. etc. etc. That is just an example.

Conforming with the majority is a trap many fall in. Just because something is in textbooks doesn't mean it is true. I'm sure that in dark ages kids were taught in school that sun revolves around earth, and that witches exist and should be burned.
If you were in those days, following the public textbooks would lead you into oposite beliefs of these that you have now.
So much for "common sense"

many people bark at religion using scientific knowledge. Yet, whenever I ask, I have never been given a solid example of a point in which 100% proven scientific theories debunk religious dogmas.
In most places these two don't even meet. They are occupied with different areas of existence.
In order for something to dispute the other thing, both things must talk about the same subject, don't they?
Religion talks about life after death. Science talks about life before death. When science tries to talk about afterlife, then it is called "pesudoscience" by some.

Of course, it is more convenient for man if non of religious dogmas were true, that is why majority of people of earth are eager to
accept the anti-dogma of it.
Not because they think with their heads, but because they feel opressed, they want to be free, they want to fly away unrestrained.

What I find interesting is how even these two preach freedom of dogmas, will restrain you with some other standards of their own, which are not much different from religious dogmas.

For example, even an atheist will look at you in judgement if you comit murder or steal, even though he has nothing to judge you against..

hmm

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4397220 - 07/12/05 06:55 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"I don't recal any historians debunking contents of the Bible. Most of the events from Bible have been confirmed by modern archeology and history"

You should know better. This is a falsehood. The great flood has no basis in known fact. Neither does the Garden of Eden, or the story of Jesus for that matter. It is all myth and conjecture.

--------------------

OfflineDeviate
    #4397271 - 07/12/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

actually i thought there was evidence of a great flood

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: niteowl]
    #4397671 - 07/12/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you knew what a myth was, you'd understand that they are not "made up." Myths are archetypal contents of the collective unconscious which derive from the psychic infrastructure of all human psyches. Myths may differ superficially, but the essential themes are universal and invariant. Just as all humans are only superficially different in own physiology, we are only superficially different at significant psychological levels - beneath cultural variants.

BTW, there is no "Christian religion" in the singular even at this moment, let alone since its inception. Orthodox Christianity vs. Catholic vs. Byzantine Catholic vs. Coptic vs. the myriads of Protestant denominations do not make for one religion but many - all under the umbrella of Christendom. Some draw on mythological themes more than others - mostly of Hellenistic origin. Judaism does not have a developed mythology. Their contribution is from spiritual and cultural vectors. All of these vectors have served in some capacity to be vehicles of Truth, and all of these have in some capacity acted contrary to those Truths.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4397683 - 07/12/05 09:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Great definition for myth. Are you familiar with Joseph Campbell? I have a feeling you are.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4397690 - 07/12/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Your feeling would be correct. I should add that beginning with my academic advisor in grad school who had just returned from the C.G. Jung Center in Zurich, I had about 8 years of Jungian analysis with 3 different Zurich-trained analysts.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4397737 - 07/12/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Myth:
  1. A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and Psyche; a creation myth.
  2. Such stories considered as a group: the realm of myth.

The stories (embellishments) about Jesus were the same mythical stuff of the Greek and Roman, Heroes. Virgin birth, preforming miracles.....all these "divine" trademarks, were also present in Greek and roman Mythology.

Do some research, on the history of your precious bible and you will see how it has been shaped and reshaped into it's present form.

Can good come from religion?
On a personal level...yes

On a global level.....no

Virtually all wars were started over religious differences.

Mainly what we call "God".

Christian.....Jesus is God
Muslim.....Allah is God
Buddhist....Buddha is God

We are all worshiping the same God....we're just fighting over what to call him......

kinda stupid if you ask me :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate