Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
why christianity is bullshit
    #4393658 - 07/11/05 09:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ok well this simple little explanation will debunk all organized religion and not just the christians. i single out christianity only because it attepmts to impose its will and values on me the most.

first ill start with what religion is simply. its a belief system humans come up with to explain stuff. most relgion explains the big questions, why are we here, what happens when you die and how did we get here. of course it can be used to explain other things, like why it rains, why it snows, why earthquakes happen, etc... it is used to set rules for people, what you should drink, what you should eat, who you can fuck, what day you should pray on,which direction should you pray in etc...

now lets go back to the begining of civilization. im talking when humans first started getting together in little communities. each individual group had its own religous beliefs, some shared ideas, some not. as time passed and these groups began to form towns and cities and their relgions blended, melded. parts were taken from the relgions and formed into new absolute unquestionable truths. then you have wars, in which these civilizations fought and of course the culture + relgion of the dominant civilization was imposed.

Now lets fast foward to ancient greece and their beliefs, which were in turn borrowed by the roman empire as a basis for their relgion. why?? well the romans wanted to emulate greece in some ways, they were jealous of their rich culture.

So now you have Rome who decides they are gonna conquer all sorts of poor tribal motherfuckers. rome rides in a tramples these people who all have their own different take on relgion and not only imposes its beliefs on these guys but borrows aspects for itself.

you also have new religions popping up that are borrowing stuff from other relgions. the jews appear and a spin off of the judaism, christianity eventually appears. then eventually you get a spinoff of christiany called islam, more prophets, more rules, more dogma and more fun.

anyway back to rome, we all know they eventually drop polytheism and move over to christianity at the whim of some emperor. the empire must convert. this basically includes the places where all of our relatives come from. then we know that the roman empire splits up and christianity divides with it. people disagree and boom split!!!!

then you get the catholic church setup who like everybody else loves power and encourages these christians to conquer and spread the religion. so what if the actions go against the basic principles of what there supposed prophet preached. at this point relgion is power hungry and just wants to be fed human brains and money. government LOVES this idea, a reason people will actually go along with, to conquer , aquire new land,more money, new subjects...its a damn good reason too, mother-fucking god said so!!!!

now not everyone subscribes to the control of the church and these people create their own christiany spin offs. why ?? because they want their own power and following. then you got countries like england who are eager to be free of the churches control and jump in with these new relgions.(church kept kings in lines with threats of excommunication etc..)

onto colonizing the new world. so someone discovers the world isnt flat and we start seeing new land. first thought, by governments is greed, land , money resources. and of course relgion sees new people and wants new brains. so we conquer the native cultures and rape their land. we convert them through force to christianity. depending on what country conquered your people decided what brand of christianity you got shoved down your throat. this isnt new, i mean this is what has been happening since we started. dominant cultures conquering weaker ones. stealing parts of their culture we like and destroying the rest. and no it want always done in the name of christianity. throughout human history many relgions have been involved in this crime  :eek: so you cant say it was gods plan or anything goofy, its just how humans have worked for awhile.

so here we are in modern times in a christian controlled country. with a government that only adopts the priciples of christianity it can use to obtain fun stuff like wealth, military outposts,resources...which is what government does..and of course religion is allied with government because it wants what religion wants, brains. government wants relgion to have brains, because if relgion has your brain you are easier to control. will the cycle ever be broken?? who knows??

of course my history is SUPER abbieviated and i leave out many parts of the world. other very similar things have happened in those parts with those religions. my point is stop believing in horse shit some asshole created just because people in charge tell u to believe it. or your parents believed it. no one knows a god damn thing. take life as it is and base your actions on reality and what u observe. dont worry about what happens when your dead, you'll find out soon enough :smirk:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4393719 - 07/11/05 09:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Say Amen! :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Icelander]
    #4393798 - 07/11/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:smile: hopefully people open eyes..i dont care which eye either, 1st, 2nd ,3rd

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4393811 - 07/11/05 10:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Do not hold thy breath brother. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4393914 - 07/11/05 11:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well said

:bow:

for
you

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: niteowl]
    #4393979 - 07/11/05 11:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thanks man it took me a mintute to write and im glad someone took time to read it :smile: 5 for u

OfflineDeviate
    #4394451 - 07/12/05 02:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i couldn't be bothered to read all that but i can tell you that the goal behind all religions is simply to help people attain a higher level of concioussness. of course religions have been corrupted and mistranslated and hijacked for the purposes of control throughout history, but they often retain some elements of wisdom.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #4394864 - 07/12/05 04:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I like your post

with a government that only adopts the priciples of christianity it can use to obtain fun stuff like wealth, military outposts,resources...which is what government does..and of course religion is allied with government because it wants what religion wants, brains. government wants relgion to have brains, because if relgion has your brain you are easier to control.

why is it that I have a harder time swallowing "religion wants" than "government wants"? To me it feels like the organization of government lends itself to personification more than that of religion. That's interesting though, I never thought of saying "religion wants".

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Zekebomb]
    #4394988 - 07/12/05 05:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

christianity is bullshit

Quote:

depending on what country conquered your people decided what brand of christianity you got shoved down your throat

Pushing atheism is just pushing another belief. People are religious for spirituality and direction, not to pick at logic of the belief with your own.

Quote:

my point is stop believing in horse shit some asshole created just because people in charge tell u to believe it. or your parents believed it. no one knows a god damn thing. take life as it is and base your actions on reality and what u observe.

No one tells me to believe it, nor was I pressured by my parents, especially 'some asshole in charge'.
Why cant you learn from other's knowledge and experience, versus doing already what they did again just for your own observation?

Your 'think for yourself' argument lacks the aspect of social communication of learning from others.

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4395160 - 07/12/05 09:05 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
i single out christianity only because it attepmts to impose its will and values on me the most.

first ill start with what religion is simply. its a belief system humans come up with to explain stuff. most relgion explains the big questions, why are we here, what happens when you die and how did we get here. of course it can be used to explain other things, like why it rains, why it snows, why earthquakes happen, etc... it is used to set rules for people, what you should drink, what you should eat, who you can fuck, what day you should pray on,which direction should you pray in etc...

you'll find out soon enough :smirk:

and aren't you doing the same? Imposing your ideas as the objective truth? You start by defining what religion is, how it came to existence..
What you are talking about is your opinion, because you are not that old to remember what was happening thousands of years ago when religions we being written. Yet, you use this opinion as some truth from where you start building your views.

and as for life after death. Those who believe in afterlife will never find out that there is none, because they will fall asleep thinking they will see it, but will never know that they didn't.

So those who believe will never be convinced otherwise, even in death, they will carry their beliefs into the eternity of oblivion.

Unless there really is afterlife, in which case, we will all gather, shake hands and have more dicsussions about it.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Fospher]
    #4395177 - 07/12/05 09:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Your 'think for yourself' argument lacks the aspect of social communication of learning from others.

how so?
the concept of seeking spirituality out of what one can independently think of in the moment (as opposed to a regimented religious system) is socially integrated. they made movies about it.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4395179 - 07/12/05 09:36 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
i single out christianity only because it attepmts to impose its will and values on me the most.

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
and aren't you doing the same? Imposing your ideas as the objective truth?

i dont think kingofthething is going to burn anyone at the stake over his beliefs

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4395244 - 07/12/05 10:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Although i understand your position and i agree with most of your points, there's got to be a clear distinction inside Christianity about the several sects and sub-religions it composes. If you don't take Christianity as a whole ( Anglican, Catholic, Evangelical, Jehovah's Witnesses, Latter-day Saints, Orthodox, Pentecostal) you surely can't blame then all at the same time (Christianity) for what the catholic church has done since it has become an institution connected with the power of the state.

Even Islam, if not considered as a whole, probably isn't the biggest religion in the world, Hinduism is.

My point is, the tittle of this thread "why Christianity is bullshit" is bullshit by itself. It's not about Christianity, every institutionalized religion connected to power is bullshit, but not all Christianity is connected to power.

FYI http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Grav]
    #4395499 - 07/12/05 12:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Grav said:

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
and aren't you doing the same? Imposing your ideas as the objective truth?

i dont think kingofthething is going to burn anyone at the stake over his beliefs

that's not on trial here. What is on trial is simply imposing beliefs

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4395515 - 07/12/05 01:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

More Christianity-bashing based on poor parenting. Great.
Dude, I hope you don't base your life and actions on misdirected, unresolved anger. God, Emperor Constantine, the Church of Enland, etc., etc., etc. are not your personal enemies. Just maybe you should learn more about the religion you got hammered with than the folks who did the hammering. That should fix them, and your anger too.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4395566 - 07/12/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
More Christianity-bashing based on poor parenting. Great.
Dude, I hope you don't base your life and actions on misdirected, unresolved anger. God, Emperor Constantine, the Church of Enland, etc., etc., etc. are not your personal enemies. Just maybe you should learn more about the religion you got hammered with than the folks who did the hammering. That should fix them, and your anger too.

my parents never hammered any religion down my throat. yeah i was raised celebrating christian holidays, but we rarely went to church. so your assertion im from some strict home and trying to rebel is wrong  :wink: my problem with organized religion comes from all the problems it causes. all the wars, death , genocide. im no atheist, an agnostic is what i am. i also am not trying to force my beliefs on anyone. i just think i f you read history, things that can be proved, you'll seee christianity and many other organized religions can be exposed as lies and tall tales. i mean for you to believe the bible you have to have this "faiith: that god sends his son down in one part of the world only to affect those people. then you have many peopel in the "new world" and asia who god doesnt care about??? shit some of those new world tribes had their own gods and saviors, we didnt care, we slaughtered them and forced them to stop believing. why was our savior and god any better than theirs?? baaah you may not have an answer, seems christianity may have your brain. just know that the bible is a carefully crafted book of stories written no where chronologically close to when most of the shit took place. the stories are meant to scare people into altering their behavior and keep people in line. hope you enjoy being kept in line  :grin:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4395588 - 07/12/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

also lets say i was making good points and some christian starting doubting their faith. so they goto their pastor and ask questions. the answer they would get "oh that guy is controlled by the devil". another reason that religion makes me sick, anything good is god's work and bad is the devil. such a simplistic way of looking at things. but of course the good and bad is subjective to how it affects christians. for instance lets say when those christians were down in south america commiting genocide in the jungle, 5,000 troops caught some crazy disease and died. well of course according to the christians that would be the work of the devil. then again to the natives being slaughtered it might be the work of god.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4395601 - 07/12/05 01:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You shouldn't just bash Christianity then...you should be down on all organized religions....they all have the same flaws. Just look at Islam and Judaism not to mention Hinduism. All of these religions are responsible for wars and genocide. Why are you so selective? For this reason I feel that Markos has a bit of a point.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4395611 - 07/12/05 01:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

IMO the problem is not within the belief systems, but within the practice.  Those who seek power over others will claim power wherever it may be found.

Financial power = Own/run a corporation
Sexual power = Rape/Manipulate/Abuse other people
Spiritual power = Become a religious leader (whether leading a group or a family).
Political power = Run for office

Does the fact that the power-hungry utilize these power sources mean that the sources are evil/flawed?

:heart:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4395615 - 07/12/05 01:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:

and aren't you doing the same? Imposing your ideas as the objective truth? You start by defining what religion is, how it came to existence..

at some point we need to accept the work of historians whose whole lives it is to study these things as truth. most of the concepts im stating can be found in any high school history book. im not imposing on anyone, no torture, no genocide, no convert or be ran through.

Quote:

What you are talking about is your opinion, because you are not that old to remember what was happening thousands of years ago when religions we being written.

yes but there are thousands of historians whose life work it has been to research these things. like i said this is historical fact based on years of research and artifacts. nothing i have said is really any different than what would be in any world history book.

Quote:

Yet, you use this opinion as some truth from where you start building your views.

there needs to be a point where we start taking our lessons from historians and scientists. peopel who actually have evidence, study things, prove things. we cant just keep believing in ridiculous shit just because, well we werent there maybe it happened. fuck look at the mormons, they think some asshole found plates buried in the woods. they think christ really lived in america. now we fucking KNOW that shit didnt happen. look how many rubes by into it. im not saying force anyone....just put facts out there and hopefully people come around

Quote:

and as for life after death. Those who believe in afterlife will never find out that there is none, because they will fall asleep thinking they will see it, but will never know that they didn't.

So those who believe will never be convinced otherwise, even in death, they will carry their beliefs into the eternity of oblivion.

Unless there really is afterlife, in which case, we will all gather, shake hands and have more dicsussions about it.

my thing wasnt about the afterlife. no one knows what happens when you die, no one. so why slaughter, fight wars etc.. because your ideas differ from someone elses's??

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology