Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4395624 - 07/12/05 01:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
You shouldn't just bash Christianity then...you should be down on all organized religions....they all have the same flaws. Just look at Islam and Judaism not to mention Hinduism. All of these religions are responsible for wars and genocide. Why are you so selective? For this reason I feel that Markos has a bit of a point.

first line of what i wrote:

Quote:

ok well this simple little explanation will debunk all organized religion and not just the christians. i single out christianity only because it attepmts to impose its will and values on me the most.

believe me i feel the same way about ALL organized religions, ALL. i single out christianity because my government wants to impose the values of that relgion on me. i do not put any rleigion above christianity, or below it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4395770 - 07/12/05 02:24 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

you also have new religions popping up that are borrowing stuff from other relgions. the jews appear and a spin off of the judaism, christianity eventually appears. then eventually you get a spinoff of christiany called islam, more prophets, more rules, more dogma and more fun.

Islam is not a spin off of christianity. Islam comes from when Ismael and Hagar were cast into the desert and left to fend off on their own. Their story was picked up from Mohammad who was a prophet of god.

Strictly speaking is where islam came from.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4395788 - 07/12/05 02:31 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

yes but islam borrows from christianity, mainly jesus...jesus is the most quoted prophet in the quran

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4395790 - 07/12/05 02:32 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4395794 - 07/12/05 02:36 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

i single out christianity

... but you can't single out christianity. Why ?

Anglican, Catholic, Evangelical, Jehovah's Witnesses, Latter-day Saints, Orthodox, Pentecostal, and more

Although all this religions share the same basic principles, the way they act or behave is totally different and you can't put them all in the same bag when criticizing christianity.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MAIA]
    #4395805 - 07/12/05 02:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

meh, i dont have a problem generalizing. however i guess the sects that offend me most would be evangelicals, mormons....meh basically the ones who take a literal interpretation of the bible are the farthest gone. also the ones who feel some mission to convert people scare me. catholics were horrible in the past, but arent soo bad anymore...i mean the last pope did tell them to accept science in some respects. i guess im most afraid of the evangelical movement putting us in another dark age by restricting science.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4395806 - 07/12/05 02:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

First make a personal study of the history that you are attempting to talk about. Much of what you're going on about comes from Fundamentalist simpletons; backward people who know absolutely nothing about the traditions, culture or people who wrote the biblical stories. Because they know nothing about 2000+ year old mentality, they tell it according to their own very limited understanding - mostly literal.

The Hebrews who wrote the books recognize four levels of interpretation: literal, allegorical, symbolic and secret. Uneducated preacher types who still think that Jews have horns (because of the statue of Michaelangelo's statue of Moses [because he misinterpreted 'horns' or 'rays' of light for solid horns]) are examples of superstitious morons who still inhabit this planet, and teach others according to their retarded degree of understanding. Naturally intelligent folk are gonna reject those things.

The fact that war-mongers, bigots, sadists, control-freaks and other evil people have used Christian symbols and distorted teachings to justify their power-motives should come as no surprise to anyone, but this is just a misappropriation of Holy Knowledge, twisted and distorted, to serve selfish aims.

The Tao in Chinese Taoism means 'Way.' For those with an enlightened understanding of Jesus' words when He said "I am the Way...," it is the SAME Way. He was not referring to His Jewish-carpenter-bearded-long-haired embodied self. He was referring to His BEING, His Eternal Being. There are non-Christians who understand such things about Jesus, when so-called Christians do NOT. You have to learn that it the individual and the individual tradition that serves as the carrier of Universal Truth. Such Truth is manifested through the language of myth and religous epic stories (midrash). When people dismiss religion because they have not been properly taught, they throw the baby out with the bathwater.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineDeviate
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4395836 - 07/12/05 02:53 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

^exactly right. here is a website dedicated to explaining the universal spiritual path behind christianity and all religions and explaining the teachings of jesus in a way modern people can understand. http://askrealjesus.com/

Edited by Deviate (07/12/05 02:54 PM)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4395839 - 07/12/05 02:54 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

When people dismiss religion because they have not been properly taught, they throw the baby out with the bathwater.

All religions have the same basic core principles.

Believing that your religion is the T-R-U-T-H and shoving your "truth" down other peoples throat, is what kingofthething was referring to.

Radical, uber-religious people, pushing their religious views on other religions......is how wars are started.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: niteowl]
    #4395877 - 07/12/05 03:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I got that, but there is more than that one objection. He believes that religions are merely made up, for an explanatory function of Mystery rather than a system which holds an original founder's experience of GOD at its core.

--------------------

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: MAIA]
    #4395881 - 07/12/05 03:13 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

One fun fact about christianity that most bible thumpers don't know, or don't care was what went down during the "buring times". There was so many terrible acts brought down upon the masses during the dark ages that hitler pales in comparision.

I don't remember reading where hitler pulled peoples fingernails off, used screw clamps on every finger and toe, poked people with red hot pieces of sharp metal trying to find a spot that you didn't feel pain. (though hitler did equally terrible things, he did not do so to nearly as many people or for nearly as long of a time) These people who endured this torture where nothing more than victims of one huge fucking lie. Why do you think witches are portrayed as ugly in modern times? Because by the time all the torture was done they had hideous wounds all over them, including their face. So they really did look hideous by the time they were dragged out to the town square to be burnt alive on the stake.

Yet modern day christians look back on those times and say things like, "Well times were different back then". Like that excuses it or something. Well if it was wrong back then when they tortured and killed people, what else was they wrong about when they re-translated the bible into the king james version? But more importantly, if the christians today still believe the same things about god/devil/heaven then what is to stop another cycle of torturing and killing non-believers? Sure our govt has laws to prevent such things but will those laws ALWAYS be in place? Which will last longer, our govt (200+ yrs) or religion (2000+ yrs)?

I like to think that the modern day people would never let such things come to pass. Yet certain policially sponcered violence tends to make me think it is very possible of another burning times. Will the next burning times be confused as a war? Could they use govt forces to extract their hatred of those non christian? Are they doing it already? Hard to say with 100% certainty.

The most ironic thing of it all, is that their very own savior said things like, "turn the other cheek" and was 100% non violent. Yet almost every christian in america supports wars. If they really wanted to live like jesus they wouldn't support violent conflict resolution. So they don't even follow their own damn teachings yet they expect non christians to convert and follow them? No thanks.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4395896 - 07/12/05 03:20 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

well who are you to say jesus wasnt just some jewish cult leader??? i mean sure maybe he had some good stuff to say but that doesnt make him the son of god. shit there are lots of people who i could say are the son of god. i mean maybe jim morrison was, or terrence mckenna, tim leary?? who are you to say they werent god's sons?? prophets?? all im trying to say is i could tell people i was god's son too.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#4395907 - 07/12/05 03:24 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

also what about before humans then?? i mean god and dinosaurs??? what was he up to then?? did he have a tyranosaurus rex as a prophet?

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4395910 - 07/12/05 03:24 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I thought that was a pretty good read, KoTT.

All religion was, and still is, is an outdated explanation of the world around us. I am very surprised that in this day and age our species has not evolved past this childish bullshit that causes so much division, hate, and needless death. Unfortunately I will not be around in however many years it takes for the world to drop these fairy tales and come together to better ourselves as human beings.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Sycronica]
    #4395915 - 07/12/05 03:25 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You see, there is no "they" or "them," there is only you and me and he and she. It is all very individual and you are describing a collective madness or movement. Crusades, inquisitions, pograms, persecutions, witch-hunts and wars are not conducted by Christians. Christians are human beings who are 'in Christ,' and if one is 'in Christ, and He in you,' then your individual motives are governed by Compassion, by Truth. Anyone can 'call' themselves a Christian, carry crosses or wear crosses into battle (like the crusading Knights Templar), but that doesn't mean any of those people are really Christians any more than a wolf in sheepskin is a sheep.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4395920 - 07/12/05 03:26 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

-coyote in-
To say something is bullshit, only because people misuse(d) it, is a too poor argument.
Atomic fusion isn't bullshit, only because people build bombs out of it.
-coyote out-

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4395948 - 07/12/05 03:34 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
-coyote in-
To say something is bullshit, only because people misuse(d) it, is a too poor argument.
Atomic fusion isn't bullshit, only because people build bombs out of it.
-coyote out-

im also saying that is BS because of why it was created and how it came about. we proved to japan atomic fusion is real. not one person can prove that jesus was the son of god :wink:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4395968 - 07/12/05 03:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

He believes that religions are merely made up..

Um...They ARE made up.

If you trace the history of the Christian religion (like KoTT did) you will see that the religion you believe in today was made up of many different mythological stories and fables.

Not the literal truth.....just a made up myth.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4395985 - 07/12/05 03:47 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

"ALL. i single out christianity because my government wants to impose the values of that relgion on me."
That is funny. I know several fundamentalist Christians who are convinced that the governement is trying to suppress Christianity and even make it illegal due to Satanic influences within our government.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: why christianity is bullshit [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4396033 - 07/12/05 04:00 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The radical Muslims believe the same thing......go figure.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom