Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #13506808 - 11/18/10 11:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Selfish - Holding one’s self-interest as the standard for decision making; Having regard for oneself above others’ well-being

No one commits suicide for the sole benefit of others.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnneji
Stranger

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Space Elf]
    #13506900 - 11/18/10 11:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Like a previous poster said, I think it's kinda selfish to expect people to keep living just for your emotional benefit...I'd be really unhappy if, say, my mother were to commit suicide, but it'd be selfish of me to expect her to stay around just so I don't have to deal with her death. It varies from case to case, but if you're living a hopeless, pointless life and you want out, I don't think its that selfish to off yourself.

I know I always want to have that option up my sleeve.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/the-great-fool

Music.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #13508655 - 11/19/10 10:55 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
Quote:

This doesn't prove that having kids is necessarily selfish.

It would be very hard for me to see any reason to have a kid that wasn't selfish. He doesn't exist yet so there's nothing to be selfless about.

So you're saying that one cannot have children for selfless reasons?

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
Quote:

Being selfish and being realistic are mutually exclusive?

True, you're right. I guess it is selfish and I'm just saying it's not a bad thing. You're not responsible for someone else because you didn't bring them into being.

I think it would be selfish to randomly kill yourself without first telling the people who care about you about your plans (this is how most suicides occur).

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
Quote:

And you think a child will be able to bear the death of his/her parent as easily as an adult would? 

I do think it's a mean spirited thing to abandon a child as it's clear they need the emotional support and you put them in that position.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Anneji]
    #13508663 - 11/19/10 10:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Space Elf said:
Quote:

Selfish - Holding one’s self-interest as the standard for decision making; Having regard for oneself above others’ well-being

No one commits suicide for the sole benefit of others.

What about :septemberlol:?

Quote:

Anneji said:
I know I always want to have that option up my sleeve.

White people...:smirk:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Poid]
    #13509019 - 11/19/10 12:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:

I'm pretty sure those terrorists thought they would go to heaven and have 72 virgins awaiting them. :facepalm3: Besides, they probably hated their lives too.

:arabs:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13509107 - 11/19/10 12:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was under the impression that they do what they do in the name of Islam, Allah, and for all Muslims; the 72 jailbait bitches are just the (unpopped) cherries on top. :stoned:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #13509535 - 11/19/10 01:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

How many here want to commit suicide?  Maybe ViBrAnT needs company.

--------------------

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #13509663 - 11/19/10 02:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
How many here want to commit suicide?  Maybe ViBrAnT needs company.

whose vibrant?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #13510924 - 11/19/10 06:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

*who's :nerd:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleBlondell_Letrange
No other.
Female User Gallery

Loc: OZ Flag
    #13511936 - 11/19/10 10:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Space Elf said:
Quote:

Poid said:

I'm pretty sure those terrorists thought they would go to heaven and have 72 virgins awaiting them. :facepalm3: Besides, they probably hated their lives too.

:arabs:

I thought those were the people that jumped before the buildings collapsed.

--------------------
:inlove3::inlove3:

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

Loc: 3 Seconds Ago. Flag
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Blondell_Letrange]
    #13512637 - 11/20/10 12:45 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It's impossible to answer the question because you cannot measure a person's emotional pain.

For example, to some, being rejected will resemble being pricked by a cactus badly in the ass and having to deal with that pain for weeks and months. To others rejection could resemble being thrown in a bunch of cactuses from a three story building and having to roll your way out of it for years. To others rejection could amount to being thrown into a field of cactus from a ten story, breaking your legs, having to role out of that field and not being ABLE AT ALL to see an end to that PAIN in sight.....

If you apply the NEEDS of the parents equally to all three, I think you would be failing to understand that emotional reactions are subjective......

To be honest as well, its obvious to me that people who are suicidal tend to carry a heavier emotional load, think of the 'nice' people, the people that let themselves be walked all over so that conflicts don't arise in relationships that they have, therefore, when these people get overwhelmed and their relationships cannot support that load, an explosion occurs....this usually results in most breaking bonds, violence and suicide.

So in that sense, you can't really say it is selfish because THE suicidal people DO NOT GAIN as much as the people that CARE about them do.....

Like for example, my mother's father died, my granfather and my father, planned a trip to cancun, which ironically coincided with the funeral....LONG STORY SHORT he still went on the trip......It was a bussiness trip, but either way I can't blame him, the man has no way of handling my mothers emotions and laughs when she cries.......Now throughout this time, I supported her dearly, but when it all comes down to it, GUESSE WHO she bitches/takes out anger/stress on the most out of me, my father and my brother????????

Now fast forward two years....I am about to move out and leave the country. Who do you think misses who MOST?

This resembles suicide because the pain from someone commiting suicide that you love is considered a loss, a missing, a longing.....

The point made is that in order to see if it is just to commit suicide, you have to take into account the fact that; PAIN is subjective AND that relationships are no reciprocal in what they offer both individuals....some get more from a relationship some get less.

The question thus is highly complex as you are trying to measure PAIN and MEASURE ALL RELATIONSHIPS on equal scales, which is obviously untrue.....

Whatever it's not....but it still is.

And again,

and again,

and again,

and again,
and again.

--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul] * 2
    #13513382 - 11/20/10 07:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

reeferaddict69 said:
I personally don't obviously they are in a great deal of pain in some sort of way.  you?

Of course it's selfish, who else are you doing it for:lol:

The question is, is it anybody else's fucking business and the answer to that is no unless you're a total douche.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinerambo__23
DMD
 User Gallery

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Icelander]
    #13515406 - 11/20/10 04:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

nah. as camus says, suicide is the logical answer, because living is suffering. we are born to suffer and die, so what is the point to living?

but in our quest for the philisophical understanding of suicide, we discover that living, though suffering, is worth it, because once we are gone, we are gone. we may go to the pearly gates we might just cease to exist, but one thing is for sure. you are alive right now, and this may be your only shot at conciousness, so do what you can with it.

and even though its hard sometimes, enjoy the shit out of it. i try every day, it doesnt work half the time, but i still try.

i honestly think living is more selfish than suicide, cause when were alive were consuming energy that could be used for others, we create trash, we destroy, we fight, we fuck, we hate, we try to survive only for ourselves. and what is love? love is just looking out for ourselves when we dont want to be alone, we just need to find someone who also feels the same way.  if you think about it, living is more selfish than suicide lol.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: rambo__23]
    #13515470 - 11/20/10 04:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Good thinkin for a human.:thumbup::satansmoking:

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: rambo__23]
    #13515487 - 11/20/10 04:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

rambo__23 said:
nah. as camus says, suicide is the logical answer, because living is suffering. we are born to suffer and die, so what is the point to living?

but in our quest for the philisophical understanding of suicide, we discover that living, though suffering, is worth it, because once we are gone, we are gone. we may go to the pearly gates we might just cease to exist, but one thing is for sure. you are alive right now, and this may be your only shot at conciousness, so do what you can with it.

and even though its hard sometimes, enjoy the shit out of it. i try every day, it doesnt work half the time, but i still try.

i honestly think living is more selfish than suicide, cause when were alive were consuming energy that could be used for others, we create trash, we destroy, we fight, we fuck, we hate, we try to survive only for ourselves. and what is love? love is just looking out for ourselves when we dont want to be alone, we just need to find someone who also feels the same way.  if you think about it, living is more selfish than suicide lol.

ur such a buzz kill brah

:chugbeer:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlinefreeskierpj
Just trying to learn some shit
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Up, up and away. Flag
Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: Blight]
    #13515628 - 11/20/10 05:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Blight said:
Personally, I think suicide is extremely selfish. I might be biased because I've been through a loss in that way. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. All issues someone has can be helped. The only thing it does is hurt the people that care about you IMO

This. My girlfriend is semi-suicidal but I just remind her about all the people that would be so hurt (especially me) by that and I just calm her down.

--------------------

-ProfessorPinHead
:amanita2::pinkshroom::supershroom::pinkshroom::amanita2:
My Mycological Excursions
Anything posted on these forums is strictly for fun and completely fictional.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: freeskierpj]
    #13515677 - 11/20/10 05:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah who cares how she feels, let's all live our whole life for others no matter how we feel or what we want.:crazy2:

--------------------

OfflineImaginingEmotions
SkyjumpingDude

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: andrewss]
    #13518763 - 11/21/10 10:19 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

andrewss said:
I guess I just don't like the word selfish used in cases of suicide... seems like :blah:

Yeah, its not like you'd be hoarding all the death anyways. There's plenty to go around.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: ImaginingEmotions]
    #13518803 - 11/21/10 10:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A very good point:satansmoking:

--------------------

InvisibleTropism
ChasingTail

Re: Do you think suicide is selfish? [Re: freeskierpj]
    #13518823 - 11/21/10 10:41 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

freeskierpj said:
Quote:

Blight said:
Personally, I think suicide is extremely selfish. I might be biased because I've been through a loss in that way. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. All issues someone has can be helped. The only thing it does is hurt the people that care about you IMO

This. My girlfriend is semi-suicidal but I just remind her about all the people that would be so hurt (especially me) by that and I just calm her down.

My current girlfriend has spoken repeatedly about not living past thirty, and though I used to find her to be mostly joking (and I'm still skeptical of her dedication to that commitment) now a days I find her to be serious enough to take her word. My response is usually that she's got to do what she's got to do, and while I'd inevitably miss her I think it'd be selfish to ask her to stay in this place just for those who can't fathom letting go of their attachments.

I find suicide is most harmful to those who surround death with negative associations, and usually those individuals feel such emotional turmoil when confronting death because they haven't even begun to try and accept their mortality. Someone close dying shoves the reality of that in ones face and it brings to surface all those feelings they had been running from.

Many argue against suicide because of the grief it causes but I don't find this any less selfish then the act itself. Grief isn't for the dead, it's for the living. When one spends months grieving over a lost friend I can only imagine they are consoling their own fears of impermanence. Their friend is gone, they decided what was best for them and went through with it, there's no reason to feel sorry for that. There is however endless reasons to feel sorry for ourselves, and this simply being one more.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies