Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Suicide
    #815285 - 08/13/02 03:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This thread was actually inspired by a post made earlier in OTD.

Vataloco made the comment "Everyone thinks about killing themselves," which I believe is a truthful statement. TheShroomHermit then pondered "I wonder why this is," which I was thinking about myself.

I mean, think about it. We are animals. The basic instinct of any animal is survival. But for some reason, we seem not to share this instinct. In the U.S., suicide is somewhere up in the top three causes of death. That just seems crazy to me!

With the exception of Cetaceans (whales and dolphins), humans are the only species of animal that is known to intentionally end their own lives.

It seems to me that since the natural instinct of any animal is to survive, and so many people seem not to have this instinct any longer, that perhaps getting away from all things natural is the problem.

I think most people agree that nature is very healing for the mind and soul. Nature has become a passion of mine; my God of sorts. And since I have developed such a close relationship with nature, I can't remember the last time I've had suicidal thoughts.

With all of our beloved technology and inventions, we no longer have to worry about survival on a day-to-day basis. We live in houses made of dead trees. We make concrete jungles where natural forests used to be.

We have become so much different from all other living animals. We have completely separated ourselves from nature. And I think this is why we no longer share the basic animal instinct to survive.

Your thoughts?

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (08/13/02 09:00 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Suicide [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #815386 - 08/13/02 04:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I totally agree.

I think that the thoughts of suicide arise from our seperation from nature, and our obsession with materialism.

I have maybe once or twice considered suicide, wondering what would happen after my last heart beat. It's not a subject I like to talk about, but I can see why alot of people see suicide as the easy way out, instead of staying alive and dealing with their problems.

Not sure if this is a fact but I heard that dentists have the highest suicide rates of any profession. Could this be related to the amount of money they make?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Suicide [Re: Adamist]
    #815411 - 08/13/02 04:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Not sure if this is a fact but I heard that dentists have the highest suicide rates of any profession. Could this be related to the amount of money they make?

Too much NO2.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
    #815412 - 08/13/02 04:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

After reading your post, I realized a lot of what you say does make sense. We've strayed from our natural ways, and since the animals nature is to survive, we no longer have this instinct. But maybe our jungle of concrete is our evolutionary destiny. We just have to manifest it in a way to bring both Spiritual and Technological aspects together. Technology is our birth and our downfall. Our Alpha and our Omega*.

With the exception of Cetaceans (whales and dolphins), humans are the only species of animal that is known to intentionally end their own lives.

Whales and dolphins are known for their intelligence. If they're are cases of suicides in whales and dolphins, i have no doubt its because of their intellect. Ignorance IS bliss, so knowledge and intelligence can be hell. But the question is, is it enough to kill ourselves? Our desperation would have to be pretty high.

* credit to Adamist. i think he menchined technology as Alpha and Omega.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Anonymous

#815444 - 08/13/02 04:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Everyone thinks about killing themselves at one point or another. This is natural.. it is actually a cleansing experience if approached in the right way.. symbolically "killing" your negative personality.. and beginning anew with new one.
However, if the suicidal thoughts are frequent..then that is something different.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Suicide [Re: thePatient]
    #815467 - 08/13/02 05:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Some scientists believe whales and dolphins really are as smart, if not smarter, than humans, but nobody knows why they sometimes choose to kill themselves. It has been postulated that a form of sonar used by Navy vessels is the cause of many intentional beachings.

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#815481 - 08/13/02 05:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah.. it fucks up their sonar.

OfflineBrainNirvana
Stranger

Re: Suicide [Re: ]
    #815570 - 08/13/02 05:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This may be a little off the subject but a friend just asked me why don't we evolve like animals do. Now not really knowing the speed which most animals start to grow wings or gills or what not. But I think that the reason for this is because technology does it for us. Faster travel, communication, etc.... With out technology would we as humans be more advanced.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#815643 - 08/13/02 06:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard that too. Oh course if sonar is not the only reason and it has something to do with intelligence and I think more to the point ego and awareness of self, then that throws a wrench in the whole technol;ogy caused suicide.

Depression is not the only reason to thoughts of suicide. The only time I thought about suicide was when a friend and I were tripping some blotter out in the woods. WQhile pondering the plight of mankind I decided that the root of most out modern trouble was overpopulation and lack of resources. I decided I didn't want to be any part of it. I was going to do my part and kill myself. I was quite serious. Then my friend reminded me that I shouldn't be making life or death decisions while tripping my balls off. I agreed and later decided thast the world would be better served with me alive and trying to make a possitiuve contribution. Enlightened people and seekers are a minority and the more of us in the world the better.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Anonymous

Re: Suicide [Re: BrainNirvana]
    #815700 - 08/13/02 06:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

>why don't we evolve like animals do. Now not really knowing the speed which >most animals start to grow wings or gills or what not.

it takes thousands opon thousands of years to evolve.
the reason we cant evolve, and why animals cant evovle anymore, is because there is so damn many of us. there's no more darwinism/ survival or the fit. there are just to many of us. and now if we get hurt of sick we just go to the hospital and then have more fucking babies. this is why i think sometimes that a lot of people should be killed, then i realized that thats not right to just kill people. they have there lives, they may be shitty but its all they really have. so i think some people just shouldnt breed. i mean the gene pool could really use some detergent. thats why i think i believe in pro abortion. yes pro abortion, not pro choice. im pretty sure someone mentioned this before. but all in all i just dont think most people should breed.

Edited by Anonymous (08/13/02 07:26 PM)

OfflineBrainNirvana
Stranger

Re: Suicide [Re: ]
    #815734 - 08/13/02 07:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

and now if we get hurt of sick we just go to the hospital and then have more fucking babys.

This is what I mean without the technology of hospital this would not be able to happen.
I wonder with technology advanceing at the speed it is, will it soon pass us up. Makeing us the weaker (race). Almost like Terminator. Without humans advanceing the way we might without technology we would never make it on our own (without technology) with our current population.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Suicide [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #815764 - 08/13/02 07:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe you shouldn't be tripping by yourself anymore.

--------------------

OfflineBrainNirvana
Stranger

Re: Suicide [Re: Zahid]
    #815778 - 08/13/02 07:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

LOL... Mind is a powerful thing...Stonger are the thoughts when studied through a microscope...

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Suicide [Re: Zahid]
    #815811 - 08/13/02 07:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for your concern but that was about 13 years ago and I have tripped about a billion times since then alone. Besides I came to a life afirming conclusion. Remember?

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #815975 - 08/13/02 08:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

We are animals. The basic instinct of any animal is survival.

The difference is that as far as we know humans are the only animals who know they are going to die anyway.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Suicide [Re: Xlea321]
    #816020 - 08/13/02 08:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The difference is that as far as we know humans are the only animals who know they are going to die anyway.

The difference? There are a lot more differences than that. And for all we know, animals could be aware of their mortality. I mean, they hunt for food and try to protect themselves from getting eaten. They kill other animals and have probably seen some of their own kin die or be killed. I'm sure they are much more aware of death than we think.

I still stand by the reasoning posted in my original thread.

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineBrainNirvana
Stranger

#816037 - 08/13/02 09:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

They have to be, just think of all the stories you hear of one pet (say a dog) dies and the other stops eating. Would this not mean that they recognize that one's gone (death)? Not being around and death have more in common then one thinks. I have also seen were a baby bear won't leave it's dead mom, even if it's old enough to survive on it's own.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Suicide [Re: BrainNirvana]
    #816094 - 08/13/02 09:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

So true! "Where the Red Fern Grows" comes to mind...
Also, I once read a book in which Jane Goodall wrote about a baby chimp that stopped eating after its mother had died. The chimp eventually curled up next to the body of its dead mother and died.

Animals are definitely more aware of death than most of us think.

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (08/13/02 09:30 PM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #816143 - 08/13/02 09:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

psychopsilocyber- Pro-Abortion? Yeah... I mentioned that one (a friend of mine always tells people he's pro-abortion). Like I said before though, he's never indicated whether he was referring to pre- or post-natal abortion.

Where the Red Fern Grows? I remember that book. It really changed me... I think I was 12 when I read it. I remember parts of it vividly. It was the first book that REALLY affected me.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #816147 - 08/13/02 09:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

{TO EVERYONE}

Have you ever known an unselfish person that has talked about/attempted/gone through with suicide?
(not including people with serious mental conditions)

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology