Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Why the internet is like telepathy
    #488851 - 12/12/01 03:33 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Here we are, communicating with each other without ever moving our lips. We transfer thoughts into words and write them out so that others may see. We are even able to transfer pictures along with the text to give the reciever visual references. Although there is still a medium - computers - through which the information is transferred, there is still very few differences in this type of communication compared to telepathy. Communication is instantaneous ... we can write in real time
There is really no verbal language involved, only language of the mind.. many people write very differently than they speak

At first, everyone had to communicate using pictures and the spoken word. The drawback being that there was no way to communicate with someone from a distance. The best way was to deliver a written message, or go and find the person. Later along the line came more interesting and complicated ways of achieving long distance communication; the telegraph, telephone, radio waves, TV, and finally the internet.
What is amazing about the internet is the connection between everything on it, where everyone in able to communicate and share information. No medium before has ever had the capabilities for communication that the internet holds. It's a place where you are able to get inside the mind of another person.
I believe this is only a training ground for the next step in communication... telepathy.

Anyway, this is just a theory of mine. I'm sure many of you will disagree... but then that is the purpose of theories...to disagree right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomFarmer
Level 0 zilch

Re: Why the internet is like telepathy [Re: ]
    #488978 - 12/12/01 05:31 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I would talk on AIM to this one girl awhile back and I agree with you on the telepathy. We would say the exact same things at the exact same time. Not only that, but we'd seem to know what we'd say before we'd said it. It did get kind of freeky sometimes. We would play a game were we tried to guess what the other was thinking. About 50% of the time we were right. Either we both are the most predictable people in the world or there was something going on.

--------------------
crinkle crinkle

Offlinekali
journeyman
    #488981 - 12/12/01 05:33 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

maynard james keenan refered to the internet as a metaphor for jung's collective unconscious & i couldn't agree more. i think this is in line with your post. i would take a somewhat mcluhanian stance with regards to the internet & see it as radically changing the nature of the human animal and a move towards de chardin's 'noosphere' - the emerging web of global consciousness.

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
    #489018 - 12/12/01 06:04 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know about that... it seems a bit far-fetched. I mean just because we are communicating without verbal expression does not mean we are on the way to telepathy. What about sign language, writing, facial expressions, body language etc. I certainly agree that the internet is an amazing tool for communication, and should not be underestimated in its possibilities, but its no different from verbal speech except that we can send it further. It is also more limited because the visual stimuli you can receive when talking to a person are very simple (smilie faces :) , etc) and can be easily misinterpreted. What do you think?

Anonymous

Re: Why the internet is like telepathy [Re: wintertime]
    #489028 - 12/12/01 06:11 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I think like this:

And sometimes like this:

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
    #489037 - 12/12/01 06:18 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

heh.. i thought you were just talking about irc, "realtime" conversations, rather than a bulletin board. but.. no doubt the internet is great because it is a merger of almost all the current media forms, thats why it is so popular. but the one main criticism is you lose character: how people physically act and respond, how they look. there is a loss of connection, as you don't "know" the people you are talking to, you could just as easily be talking to a computer and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if it was good enough.

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
    #489042 - 12/12/01 06:22 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

another thing, telepathy is different to showing me those pictures, because we look at them in different ways. I would imagine that telepathy allows a temporary connection of two minds, so that I would "know" how you thought, rather than interpreting some pictures.

Anonymous

Re: Why the internet is like telepathy [Re: wintertime]
    #489301 - 12/12/01 10:08 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yes exactly... but while communicating over the internet is not the same as telepathy, since we interpret words and images differently..... it is still very similar.
It's the closest thing we have right now thats even comparable. The best comparison I can make for it is:
1. We never speak verbally, the thoughts go into written words which are read by the other person
2. We CAN talk in real time, despite the fact that we may be hundreds of miles apart
3. Even though you don't neccesarily percieve things in the same way I do, we can still share ideas and get to know each other without ever even meeting physically.

While it is definetely not strictly mind to mind communication... it is mind to computer to mind communication. I wrote this whole thing without ever moving my lips to speak, yet you can read it 2 seconds after I post and see what I was thinking< even though you may interpret it differently than I intended.
I guess what I am saying is that this is just the closest thing we have that is physically comparable to telepathy. Maybe I'm not making any sense... I don't know.

Offlineredworm

#489367 - 12/12/01 11:20 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

No, it makes sense, at least to me. I've thought the same thing a few times in the past. If you've ever made a good friend by meeting him or her on line, isn't there a certain quality to that relationship that doesn't really exist with your friends "in real life" ? I'm not sure how to describe it, but to be able to read some text an get the same emotional information out of it without the natural hints in voice and facial expression that you get in a face to face encounter certainly constitutes as a leap in human communication. I mean, we've had the written word for quite a long time, but the context is different than a real time conversation where you're just listening to someone "tell it like it is" without rambling lines and lines of descriptions and such, like in a book.

--------------------
------
We are all, infinite and together.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #489379 - 12/12/01 11:28 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Time is responsible for the communication barrier. Even neurons are limited by time. If there were no time, would there be no differences (ie one _____)?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #489380 - 12/12/01 11:28 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Shroomism, what are those pictures you posted? I really like them a lot...did you make them, or is it alien art or something?

Edited by skaMariaPastora (12/12/01 11:34 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Why the internet is like telepathy [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #489384 - 12/12/01 11:31 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineSlamgauge
genocide isn'tfor everyone.
Loc: Austin, TX
    #489496 - 12/13/01 02:32 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

The internet seems to have the potential to work with human minds like brain cells work with synaposes(sp) in the brain. Maybe when the connection speed becomes fast enough and the media we use become fluid enough, we could form a type of global conciousness.

Ohh that would suck, then the cops would know about my little hobby.

--------------------
TRUTH n - 1 a being true; specif., a) sincerity; honesty b) conformity with fact c) reality; actual existence d) correctness; accuracy

Edited by Slamgauge (12/13/01 02:34 AM)

OfflineSlamgauge
genocide isn'tfor everyone.
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Why the internet is like telepathy [Re: Slamgauge]
    #489708 - 12/13/01 10:45 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Oh and time is not what is responcible for the communication barrier. The barrier is a result of our inability to empathize. No matter how long someone describes something you will never know what they are talking about because you have not experienced what they did. Because everyone has different experiences we have different realities.

--------------------
TRUTH n - 1 a being true; specif., a) sincerity; honesty b) conformity with fact c) reality; actual existence d) correctness; accuracy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom