Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Christian Children's Fund
    #3725408 - 02/03/05 04:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Note: I usually pick on Christians, not because of a personal vendetta, but because they have the greatest exposure in my little world.

TV Ad

*Santa Claus-looking spokesman walking among squalid third-world slums with scrawny over-sized eyed children lurking nearby...*

"Guess you are too busy in your fast-paced world to remember these little ones, but for the cost of a double-latte with whipped cream per day, you could make a big difference in these children's lives."

Commentary: The whole ad reeks, not of compassion, but of attempting to make the viewer feel guilty. I certainly didn't get to bang the momma of those third-world kids, nor was I consulted when the daddy realized he could not afford another child, but humped momma anyway. Nor was I the God who caused the children to be born in poverty and squallor; yet it is somehow my responsibility and yours to take care of these tykes. Why not send condoms instead of cash? You know: those glow-in-the-dark red ribbed ones...

Is guilt the proper tool for charities to wrench money from your greedy paws? Or is it just whatever form of manipulation is necessary to get the job done?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Christian Children's Fund [Re: Swami]
    #3725418 - 02/03/05 04:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think it's just whatever form of manipulation is necessary to get the job done :smirk:

Now, that doesn't mean it's ok...

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Christian Children's Fund [Re: trendal]
    #3725461 - 02/03/05 04:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

*Pan into Tommy Chong standing in front of a flower-covered VW bus in Haight-Ashbury*

"Poor Swami cannot afford a single jay or tab of acid that you regulary take for granted. You can certainly spare one doobie from your enormous stash or one drop from your vial to help an aging head get high one last time..."

Will this work? :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#3725471 - 02/03/05 04:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sure did!

Made me want to go smoke another bowl :grin:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3725496 - 02/03/05 04:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

They do kinda~ make it sound like one is guilty for "having something".... 

Call the number, and ask them where you can send the extra "double-latte with whipped cream"....   

Do they have microwaves over there, or do you gotta~ send em' one of them too....?    :shocked:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3725498 - 02/03/05 04:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Bastard!  :mad:

Hard to grow MJ here in Vegas, but cacti are another matter...

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Christian Children's Fund [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3725508 - 02/03/05 04:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Call the number, and ask them where you can send the extra "double-latte with whipped cream"....

Good idea!  :cool:

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #3725520 - 02/03/05 04:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The whole ad reeks, not of compassion, but of attempting to make the viewer feel guilty.

well for thousands of years men have tried to create a moral theory based purely on reason but have yet to. morality based on emotivism seems a bit more widespread

I certainly didn't get to bang the momma of those third-world kids, nor was I consulted when the daddy realized he could not afford another child, but humped momma anyway.

its not about helping the parents, its about helping the children. what did they do to deserve this? and to expect people not to satisfy the most basic urge, to procreate, is unreasonable. maybe if it were an industrialized country where birth control was readily available...but its not.

Nor was I the God who caused the children to be born in poverty and squallor;

particularly after this recent tsunami, people who think that there is a God who takes an active role in day-to-day human life have a mountain of an argument to make.

yet it is somehow my responsibility and yours to take care of these tykes.

it depends what motivates you. from a utilitarian perspective, they will get more happiness out of the money than you will out of the latte for sure. from a Rawlsian or Kantian perspective, I think that donating some money to help fits easily into that moral framework.

Why not send condoms instead of cash?

because Africa has a hell of a lot bigger problems than overpopulation. Sanitary water, educational infrastructure, economic infrustcture, famine, drought, and of course, AIDS, to name a few.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#3725529 - 02/03/05 04:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Heh, we're the opposite up here: hard to grow cacti in Canada...very easy to grow MJ. Especially this strain called "Freeze" I've heard of. Excellent strain for cold climates, I've heard :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3725616 - 02/03/05 04:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I've heard...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Christian Children's Fund [Re: Tao]
    #3725637 - 02/03/05 04:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

its not about helping the parents, its about helping the children. what did they do to deserve this? and to expect people not to satisfy the most basic urge, to procreate, is unreasonable.

To expect people to overcome their second most basic urge - hoarding - is equally unreasonable. However, if I go knock up a stranger tonight, it is nice to know that I can count on you to help out with the child-care...

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3725680 - 02/03/05 05:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i would never expect people to give up hoarding on a continual basis a la Peter Singer, but giving up $3.50 a month i can.

if that child is unable to be provided for by you, yes i'll give up 3.50 if it means he doesnt starve to death.

are you someone who thinks africans are in the state they are in because theyre lazy?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3725692 - 02/03/05 05:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

moreover, whats wrong with charities using guilt to influence people to give money? at least theyre not lying. much better than adverts that influence you to think drinking budweiser will get you sex with hot models while not using listerine will make girls not want to fuck you.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3725736 - 02/03/05 05:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think it's a common mistake for people to think that others in third world countries are poor because they have too many children. In such countries, where child labor is legal, children are often a source of income, and thus more of a financial asset than a burden.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3725758 - 02/03/05 05:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

but giving up $3.50 a month i can.

How about $35 a month or perhaps $350? Throwing money at a symptom does not deal with the underlying cause. Send your whole paycheck. Nothing will really change.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3725848 - 02/03/05 05:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
much better than adverts that influence you to think drinking budweiser will get you sex with hot models while not using listerine will make girls not want to fuck you.

::::Spoken in the voice of Homer::::

"AAaaahhhhhahahhhhahh, beer goggles....."

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3725891 - 02/03/05 05:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

so no amount of money can ever help people? sounds like youve rationalized your selfishness into absurdity.

i agree that simply throwing money at the situation will lead to dependency, but there is a middleground. helping with clean water, hygeine, lessening the spread of malaria and aids will help keep their labor force from depleting. furthermore, when we put loads of money into rebuilding post-1945 japan, buliding them new factories, they turned out pretty well.

what is this "underlying cause". if you think its just growth rates, your simply wrong. industrialized countries have slower growth rates now because of demographic transition. we used to have extremely high growth rates.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3725919 - 02/03/05 05:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like youve rationalized your selfishness into absurdity.
What selfishness?

if you think its just growth rates, your simply wrong.
I am wrong for not agreeing/disagreeing with a statement that I never made nor discussed?  :rolleyes:

Whose imaginary posts are you responding to?

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3725962 - 02/03/05 05:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I rationalize Shellfish....  Yummy....    :tongue:

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #3725988 - 02/03/05 05:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i read this book (dancing skeletons) about various villages in mali, and basicly money is ment to flow upwards meaning that kids support the parents, which is diffrent from the average western viewpoint of parents supporting the kids. but anways also in these areas death is a such a common occurance at young ages that people over there get jaded to it eventually and just learn to accept it.

furthermoore studies have shown that even when the parents had extra money to spend on thier kids that were starving many times they wouldnt spend the money on food, but instead other things. mainly they think that thier kids are ok and dont need any more food. since most kids die over there of partly mal-nutrition but more of that there systems are weakened by malnutrition and other diseases kill them off.

anyways, the point is, sending money doesnt always help, instead you have to educate the people of the lands that are effected.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds