Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Converting Religions?
    #1525660 - 05/06/03 10:14 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

What the fuck is the deal with people converting religions. For example say you are a jew and you have to take a baptism in order to convert to catholic christianity. Someone else dunks you into some water (has to be 3 times ?) and says some stuff and that is suppose to change your whole life? Just by that guy doing those things means you are not going to hell. Why havn't we gotten over this by now. I consider myself one of the more evolved beings in this planet, and I am stuck with these people who say they don't need help, but I do.

Edited by Earth_Droid (05/06/03 10:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1525710 - 05/06/03 10:28 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1525731 - 05/06/03 10:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Damn I've been Catholic, Atheist, Libertarian, even a Vegetarian. In the end everyone really has their own religion.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: pattern]
    #1525747 - 05/06/03 10:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePeyoteZen
Russian Agent
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
    #1525811 - 05/06/03 10:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Im not a christian, a muslim, a budhist, or an athiest... I just am.

--------------------
ISLAMIC MIGRANT CRIME WAVE COMING TO A GRANNSKAP NEAR YOU!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1526167 - 05/07/03 12:23 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I've been a Methodist, Catholic, Wiccan, Druid, Agnostic, and Buddhist, but I never underwent any rituals in my conversion to any of these religions, and it never had anything to do with trying to save myself from eternal damnation. It was always just a change of heart and mind. I am currently Buddhist, quite by accident, really. I just read about Buddhism and realized that it coincided with views that I already held.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Edited by silversoul7 (05/07/03 12:24 AM)

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1526426 - 05/07/03 02:01 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think baptism was created holy just as everything else was. I believe that most religions are based off the same thing, however through the years they have morphed. I for one do not like to attend church. If i do go to church, it is not while people are there, i like to talk to god, not to other people who are scared of hell.
I believe church was created as a place to worship, and pray. Churches must be maintained, and I feel that it would be a holy thing to contribute to them. Money is good, and there can never be too much on the recieving end. There will always be corruption, and if things are going so well, why change it? This is where the spirituality stops, and the problems start. I dunno. It seems to me most religions are based on holyness, and spirituality, but over time have changed with society and ruling powers.

Anonymous

#1526657 - 05/07/03 03:26 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Religion and religious people fail to see the bigger picture and lack not the ability, but the desire to think for themselves.

Jesus and the Buddha taught the same things. It's the followers who fuck everything up.

"GOD SAVE ME....
FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS"

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1526675 - 05/07/03 03:32 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You haven't read any literature about baptism or spoken with someone about his/her own baptism it would appear.
Baptism is a ridiculous formality if you are an unbeliever. However, if you are a believer, baptism is a physical act/expression demonstrating one's old self being buried (under the water) and the new self brought to life (pulled out from the water). It is highly symbolic yet profound when one's heart is in the right place and the setting is in accordance with that feeling. It is very meaningful in the Christian faith. Just so you know in advance, most churches consider baptism highly required yet they don't provide a sacred setting for the person being baptized. The church knows very little about the word 'sacred.'
Some Christian leaders inform as many people as they can that the act of baptism is literally required before one dies.
Think of baptism like an act of marriage with God. It's the same with wedding rings: The man/woman exchange rings as a physical act of matrimony and unity (even though the relationship and love already exist). Likewise, baptism is marriage with God in a sense. It is a putting to death of our desires and conscientous decision to concede to the will of God for now on.
It is also an act of cleansing (thus the water), only its not meant to wash the outside but instead the soul itself.
It all depends on your heart. If you find meaning in the act then do it. If you don't then by all means you should not do it.

I am aware of Christian mysticism and symbolic expressions of faith. But I am talking about your new born christians, the ones that won't look at any other faiths, because Christianity to them, is the only one true way. You can have mystical experiences and baptisms without having to conform to Christianity.

Anonymous

Re: Converting Religions? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1528200 - 05/07/03 06:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king.  I've been up and down and over and out and I know one thing.  Each time I find myself laying flat on my face, I pick myself up and get, back in the race......

Why?

That's life. :smile:

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: ]
    #1528405 - 05/07/03 08:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

"Jesus and the Buddha taught the same things. It's the followers who fuck everything up"

wrong.

jesus and buddha did not teach the same things, they had completely different views of reality. they both believed in universal compassion...but that doesnt mean they taught the same things.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflinePeyoteZen
Russian Agent
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1528627 - 05/07/03 09:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Go for a walk through the woods
Hike to the top of a mountian
Gaze upon the vast landscapes
Run your hands through a creek
Smell a the wild flowers in the breeze
This is where you find God...Not inside a man made building.

I guarentee you, that you will find no corruption, religious persecutions, masacres due to intollerance, judgement, etc etc etc etc etc the list goes on.

I find god within myself and through the splendor of nature. The mushrooms just unblocks certain neurons and electrical impulses in order for me to see what has been there all along, and always will be there, forever

Infinity

Peace

--------------------
ISLAMIC MIGRANT CRIME WAVE COMING TO A GRANNSKAP NEAR YOU!

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: PeyoteZen]
    #1529303 - 05/08/03 01:08 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Go for a walk through the woods
Hike to the top of a mountian
Gaze upon the vast landscapes
Run your hands through a creek
Smell a the wild flowers in the breeze
This is where you find God...Not inside a man made building.

The only reason you can't find your god in man made buildings is because to you this is the familiar. I'm sure that someone who had lived his life in the wilderness and then came upon the skyscrapers of Manhattan would experience of sense of awe as well. The intricate mysteries of the universe lie not only in the far away and seldom visited places of 'the wild' but upon every piece of ground you traverse, in the space above your bed where you sleep every night. Creation, the universe, nature... (or if you prefer, God) is EVERYWHERE, all you have to do is look, accept and wonder.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Converting Religions? [Re: Evolving]
    #1529875 - 05/08/03 05:08 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

u cant convert a converter.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: Converting Religions? [Re: whole9]
    #1531210 - 05/08/03 04:53 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think that observing modern religious rituals is amusing. It's funny to see otherwise intelligent people dress up nice and get up early in the morning to "worship" something they have no proof exists.  It's almost like a mental illness.

Very very odd times :smile:

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology