Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Swami Swami Three Month Challenge
    #3067983 - 08/30/04 04:12 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Nope, not a typo nor a stutter. The idea that it takes a lifetime to achieve some spiritual ideal is just another limiting belief.

In this challenge, I will let the members design a program for me that I will commit to religiously for three months. I will keep a journal and report back at the end of the experiment. As you guys know, that while I type a lot, I am a firm believer in practicality and action over blather.

Keep the rules and/or disciplines simple and limited in number and scope and reasonably practical. No, I will not drink urine, pray to Satan, subsist on a tablespoon of rice, sit in zazen for 5 hours per nor run 15 miles a day.

Make it something that YOU yourselves could and would follow. Of course, "true" seekers could do this right along with me.

Use this thread as a scratch pad and then finalize your ideas into a MAXIMUM of six rules and or disciplines.

You do NOT get to ask me about my current disciplines nor recommend any drug usage. I get to pick the starting date which will be within a reasonable timeframe. There will be no bullshit. If I fail or stumble or break a rule, I will note that. If I have unusual or mystical experiences I will also note that. I will keep subjective track of thoughts/feelings as to whether or not my life or outlook improves or changes.

If, at the end of this period, nothing transformational of note happens, then I will abandon any specific spirtual search; if positive, then I will continue in some fashion.

While I am a sometimes jokester, I am serious on this and hope you will treat this commitment with maturity.

Here is where the rubber meets the road. Ready - begin!  :thumbup:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: The Swami Swami Three Month Challenge [Re: Swami]
    #3068011 - 08/30/04 04:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

what a great post gonna think about it over night and see what i can come up with

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3068018 - 08/30/04 04:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

wow you are a very committed soul

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3068020 - 08/30/04 04:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

does this mean you have no personal drive
yet you want personal attainment in 3 months?
sounds like externalization to me.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Swami Swami Three Month Challenge [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3068033 - 08/30/04 05:05 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Guess those Olympic athletes that get a coach also have no personal drive?!

How many months is the "correct" period and how do you know this? Who here has gotten one step closer talking about aliens?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3068038 - 08/30/04 05:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hmmm mabey you could...

live out in the wilderness off of limited resourses
fast
meditate

--------------------

InvisibleAntiMeme
yankee doodledandy
    #3068103 - 08/30/04 05:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In my opinion, that's what's wrong with the "spirituality quest". Everybody wants a 10 step program or a two step program or whatever. They want dogma, orthodoxy and short cuts in general. And they think they have an idea of what lies at the end of the road.

Those ideas are our enemies. Just as the idea that it will take x years to achieve "enlightenment".

Not only will they lead to nothing (in my opinion), they also empower the systems that teaches dogma.

Everybody must find their own "truth".

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA
    #3068133 - 08/30/04 06:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Whats practicality and action and blather to you?
practicality and action - advancement in civilization
blather - god, spirits, aliens, mythic creatures etc?

please define them

here are some ideas

- Deep meditative trances
- Astral Projection
- On top of reading and applying buddhist knowledge to life etc
- Stay in a haunted house
- Call up a proffesional psychic
uhh thats all i have if you are interested in trying and want info PM me

these can muster quick results depending on dedication state of mind etc
but as previously stated there really is no instant way, very long and arduous journey

regards ooisi

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul Worship His holy name.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3068134 - 08/30/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

What is the point of this?
Do you somehow feel you have to prove yourself?
Perhaps if there were more people on the board like you you wouldn't need to do this.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3068254 - 08/30/04 07:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Six rules max hmm...

1. Abstain from sex and sexual actvity for the 3 months.
2.Abstain from drugs OTC and recreational for the 3 months.
3. Meditate an hour each morning in lotus position.
4. Abstain from overeating.(Eat until one is satisfied IE no longer hungry but not until one feels stuffed/over-full.)
5. Recite mantras/prayers nightly.(from your religion if you have one others find some.)
6. Avoid oversleeping.(7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours a night is plenty for most everyone.)

This should at the least improve health and mood significantly during the 3 months and should calm ones mind and clarify it eventually.I personally follow these rules including periods of abstaining from sex/drugs.It allows the body to recover and heal.

This experiment should be interesting. :grin:

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Loc: Neverland
    #3068287 - 08/30/04 07:55 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wicked idea, I wish I had the discipline. My only suggestion is that you fit a good bit of every evening thinking about a different zen koan :P Call it an experiment in to sanity :smile:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3068292 - 08/30/04 07:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Guess those Olympic athletes that get a coach also have no personal drive?!

How many months is the "correct" period and how do you know this? Who here has gotten one step closer talking about aliens?

I think that the fabled milarepa sat outside the monastery for 14 months trying to prove his humble and sincere interest prior to being permitted in, no less prior to being taught anything of value.

though you may truly be interested, your display of humility is consistantly less than one might imagine to be respectful, or receptive, even if someone were here who could teach you something.

3 months, 3 years, 3 seconds, it is all the same.
when you are ready, you are ready.
and it won't be a challenge you provide to others, but one you privately take upon yourself.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3068311 - 08/30/04 08:10 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well, there's one system I've been using for a long time now that uses a very practical method in one section of spirituality, and that is achieving a state of bliss by being responsible for your own actions and feelings.  I'm sure you've heard of it before a couple of times on this board "handbook to higher consciousness, by ken keyes. you don't have to do anything special like go on a retreat, in fact, doing what you are doing now is the best teacher.

most of it is common sense such as

"in life, you win some and lose some"

and

"you do just as much damage when you take offense as when you give it"

but then it goes one step further and gives suggestions on how to  apply  it. 

so i mean, if you're really interested, it would yeild positive results!  however much you put in, that's how much you'll get out.

if you want me to put it in a nutshell I could, but it leaves a lot of the meaning behind.

1)  be imbeccable with your word.

2)  try your best not to impose your will (thinking with ego) on reality.  Reality will give and take away, so it is utterly futile to rely on it for your happiness, for most of the time it will yeild more frustration than joy.

3) recognize the type of feeling with it's root cause (the cause is you of course). example; anger, frustration, and jealousy are normally a part of the 'power center" of the mind.  note, that I quote the power center becasue it isn't meant to be taken literally, it's a label, and we use it to categorize, since we have a logical mind and all :wink:

4) when you feel a negative emotion, and recognize where it's coming from, realize then that (unles of course in extreme situations) your feeling negative will not help the situation, nor will it help you get passed it.  in other words, being efficient with what you do.

The book uses lots of catagorizing. therefore it uses repetition (the best way humans learn) and a logical framework the left side is good at.  this helps keep the rational mind working on the ego consciousl, it.  in other words, you'll be meditating constantly!

but even by this small system I described swami, I doubt you would see the results in three months.  Use that book on the other hand, if you really are into it, you will be able to see results, and best part of all, it all coems from you.

I keep notes, and I can display them for you if you'd like.  and if you are really into it, we can definately work on it together.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #3068323 - 08/30/04 08:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well what i would propose for the sake of experimentation is difficult and i dont know how possible in our society. I am not saying that this is the road to enlightment but it could offer some mystical experience by changing some neurochemistry parameters..No,no "drugs" involved.

In short,Light Deprivation (Now you start to se why it it difficult)

1)Have a fasting diet ,not only in quality but in quantity as well.I hope you like veggies
2)Enclose yourself in an enviroment for at least a week in the total absence of light.Toilet facilities should be easily accesible,also a caretaker must help providing you with food.
3)Wear no watch,dont try to calculate how logn you have been there (caretaker must help here)
4)Practice meditation while in this state

Please take in account that after the experiment you should be exposed to light gradually,and allow for some recovery period for your cicardian rythms to come back.Im not saying it is easy,it requires full devotion.more devotion that a wife might require :laugh:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3068371 - 08/30/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

In this challenge, I will let the members design a program for me that I will commit to religiously for three months. I will keep a journal and report back at the end of the experiment. As you guys know, that while I type a lot, I am a firm believer in practicality and action over blather.

The all-knowing uber-Seuss needs to know a few more things before setting out on this adventure...

What do you wish to achieve...

(100% serious on the question. What is it that you want or expect from this?)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: The Swami Swami Three Month Challenge [Re: AntiMeme]
    #3068393 - 08/30/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

...Everybody wants a 10 step program or a two step program or whatever... Just as the idea that it will take x years to achieve "enlightenment"... 

Without timetables and milestones, how can you claim progress toward enlightenment?

Quote:

Everybody must find their own "truth". 

If everyone is supposed to find their own "truth", possibly conflicting with others' "truth", then that invalidates truth, doesn't it?  Truth can't conflict with truth. :confused:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleTeragon
Noddy

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
    #3068485 - 08/30/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ooops. Missed your entire thread about my idea. Nevermind. :grin:

--------------------
need that cash to feed them jones.

Edited by Teragon (08/30/04 09:57 AM)

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #3068537 - 08/30/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In my opinion, the best chances for an actual Satori-like experience would be to attend a Zen sesshin. Of course this breaks your rule of not meditating all day long, but sesshin's often get startling results.

In order to grow spiritually, I think all major levels of being should be addressed. Of course the levels of being can be defined differently by different persons but Body/Mind/Soul/Spirit is a pretty universal break-up of the entire being.

Body - The more raw (living) fruits and vegetable the better. No meat, no dairy. Reduce cooked foods to whatever minimum you can handle. Daily cardiovascular exercise.

Mind - Affirmations (i.e. 'My heart is open and I am filled with love', 'I see all things clearly without judgement'...). Possible psychotherapy...just to clean out the closets.

Soul - Energy work like Tai Chi or yoga. Visualizations like the Loving Kindness meditation.

Spirit - 'Formless' meditation like Zazen or Dzogchen.

I think it would be possible to practice on each of these everyday and keep a normal schedule. I also believe that there would be definite possitive results through the entire being.

If you are interested in something like this I will commit to it along with you for three months (we can hammer out more of the details later).

P.S. We can drop the psychotherapy

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Edited by Source (08/30/04 10:07 AM)

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #3068592 - 08/30/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That's nice. Applause for swami !
As you are a very rational mind, my suggestion (for one of the six points) is:
Find a very old aged human 'believer' every day, and ask them about their individual experiences with g*d and how they personaly noticed it was g*d they experienced. Emphasize your doubts and recognice their reactions and arguments.
Then take this into meditation every evening...

Just a personal suggestion from me to the jury.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3068902 - 08/30/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I wanted to make a comment here. Weather this idea manifests or not, swami raises something important for all to consider by his challenge.

Consider how many things you are 'doing" or "believing" in on your personal spiritual path that is actually producing beneficial results for you.

When many start off, they say, "Oh, thats what spiritual people do and beleive in? Okay, I will to because I want to be spiritual." There's nothing worng with that as trial and error comes into play abnd evolutionary growth and conscious awakening comes from that.

Examine what it is you do and beleive in the name of your spiritual evolution and awakening. What is your personal motivation for beleiving in what you currently do or are doing ? How are you better off for it? Only your answer matters to yourself. Now and again, it is a good idea to question and challenge these things for yourself.

Typically, we make change in beleif or behavior when we find current ones are not serving us in what it is we desire to experience more of and when new informations comes into the picture that is deemed worthy of embracing.

Who knows what your motivation is for this swami. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and consider that after you told us you deleved into this spiritual stuff and found it of no service to you in the past, that you are wondering what all of the hub bub is yet about. You suggested that "maybe you missed something or didn't apply it the way it was meant to be."

Why can't it just be that you took what you wanted to from the banquet table that suited your taste and appetite and others are doing the same?

So what if you have a differing view from many? Our differing views is what keeps this joint jumping.

Bare in mind, a party can have a focal point of celebration, a purposeful reason for being but some people party without a reason and do it just because it feels good!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder