Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSeeking_Gnosis
Stranger
Afraid of God?
    #2385299 - 02/27/04 10:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I am a lot confused. I was on another thread and something really bothered me. Someone was asking a question about spirituality. An innocent question. She/He gets an answer that has a link on it. A link that warns of all the horrible things that are going to happen when this world "ends".

Why are we supposed to fear God? No, I'm sorry, that isn't true....."Don't be afraid, but here are the horrible, terrifying things that are supposed to happen". You have to love the "don't be afraid" "they" are constantly saying.

Sorry I am starting to ramble. I am just so tired of being told this shit.

--------------------
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof possible."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: Seeking_Gnosis]
    #2385328 - 02/27/04 10:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

religion. fear of god.
I find it all pointless.
live in love. trees are cool.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2385353 - 02/27/04 10:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

There is nothing to fear, really. It doesn't matter what happens. God isn't going to do anything bad to us. The world is going to take its course, regardless of God. Developing a strength in whatever your personal beliefs are is what is important at this point, imo.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #2385427 - 02/27/04 10:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have asked myself the same questions for many years now, even during the long period in wich i lost all belief in God. But with my resent spiritual realization (wich i will be posting on soon)I have come to the conclussion that man should not fear the power of God as much as they should fear themselves. Only WE are responsible for our actions and negative things that we do to others come back to us in the long run. Because thats the way the perfect balance of the universe works. Evil doesen't really exist as an enteti, but it exists as the lack of use of our frontal cortex, you know, the part that monitors the reptilian barin, our animal brain so to speak. Corrupted men have to exist because God did't create us perfect. He didn't because we are in control of the balance of the universe not him. He is only there to move it acording to our desires and action. He feals pain just like us, when we destroy living things and surround ourselves with negetivity he also feel us because we are part of his whole. He is at the highest level of counciousness, pure conciousness i'll call it. We are part of his existence because we are his creation. We are at the first level as humans. We have realized the connection to him as the "source" yet we are still not evolved enough to understand it completly so he suffers as part of the balance wich existance has. My theory is that life in this universe all begin in one point. Probably in the center who knows. And that from there sentient life and the animals that acompany them have migrated all across. Materializing in a slow growth process called life. Fear your own actions and decisions not God's. Jesus was probably between the 2nd or almost pure level of conciousness. Buddah and other religious guides could have been also. But he knew things we didn't comprehen and up to this day still greatly confuse.

--------------------

Edited by Spokesman (02/27/04 11:04 PM)

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2385477 - 02/27/04 11:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It seems that most people today are being scared into religion. They feel forced to live a certain way, for if they don't, they'll pay eternally.

What the hell kind of spiritual practice is this? We've established this view of God as some sort of merciless tyrant. A terrorist, whom if his demands aren't met will blow your brains out. These are misconceptions of what God is

God is no greater than you or I, but we are all equal, and are all part of a whole. He does not punish, nor judge. If you live your life in a way that makes you happy, you will be rewarded. However, if you go through life constantly trying to please some jury in the sky, then you are missing the point and are being selfish.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2385520 - 02/27/04 11:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Seeking_Gnosis said:
Why are we supposed to fear God?

Who created the hanta and ebola viruses?
Who created earthquakes?
Who created aids?
Who created Hitler?
Who created Stalin?
Who created tornados and hurricanes?
Who created typhoid?
Who created pain and suffering?
Who created volcanoes which burn people alive?
Who created the tiger which grabbed Roy's throat?
Who created the devil and all demons which haunt the minds of men?
Who is the source of all evil?

If you believe in God, you 'know' the answers to these. Are you supposed to fear these type of things? I don't know. "I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that God's got a sick sense of humor..."

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: Evolving]
    #2385525 - 02/27/04 11:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

heh... heh... heh..

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Afraid of God? [Re: Evolving]
    #2385532 - 02/27/04 11:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

God's just "allowing" everything to take its course. Something like that.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSeeking_Gnosis
Stranger
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: manna_man]
    #2385540 - 02/27/04 11:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You are right, people are being scared into religion. I think for me what happens is I start to come out into my own thinking and start to believe a different way and then I see some sort of link or something that starts in with the wrath of God. Then I start to wonder if me thinking on my own (only way to state this :grin:) is wrong. I have believed in the bible for so long and the bible is the biggest culprit in making God out to be a "tyrant". This has been so ingrained in me that it is hard to let it go. Because, what if I am wrong.
:confused:

--------------------
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof possible."

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2385582 - 02/27/04 11:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Religion doesn't matter.  What matters is the bible.  Well, imo.  Each religion is going to want you to believe in God the way they say God should be believed in.  There are good starter religions, but stay away from the ones that say God is fearsome. 

Really, God is not a tyrant.  I don't see Him that way at all.  Of course, I try to stay on His good side...

:grin:

--------------------

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: Frog]
    #2385634 - 02/28/04 12:28 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
Religion doesn't matter.  What matters is the bible.  Well, imo.  Each religion is going to want you to believe in God the way they say God should be believed in.  There are good starter religions, but stay away from the ones that say God is fearsome. 
:grin:

IMO, the truest religion comes from within oneself, not from a book.
The bible is a nice story and all, but I'm not going to base my spiritual beliefs on 2000+ years of misinterpretation and mistranslation.
Perhaps organized religion can provide us with the direction to spritual happiness, but it's up to the individual to find the right path to take.
There should only be guidelines to spiritual enlightenment, not rules or "commandments" as some call them.

Spirituality is a bit like learning to play an intrument. Either you can spend years learning theory, scales, tones, blah, and make music according to these rules. Or you can just pick it up and just play, make music that sounds good to you, free and without restriction, in pure enjoyment and comfort.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

Invisibleshriek

#2386095 - 02/28/04 05:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i belive God is the good side of me (love, hope etc) and the devil is the bad side (trouble maker, fear, doubt etc) . so fearing god would be like fearing myself so no i dont fear god. i dont fear the devil either, its a question about keepin your house (mind) clean and balanced :smile:

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: shriek]
    #2386196 - 02/28/04 07:40 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

God is Love,He just hates sin and that would be putting your wants and desires bfore Him. Im with frog i try to stay on His good side it's just when i do something sinfully wrong that i fear Him, to fear the Lord is the begging of understanding. But there are two types of fear imho, one that leads to repentance and salvation and one that leads into bondage and darkness.Fear is the oppiste of love and faith.For if we walk in love and faith there is no reson to fear.Every man must give an account for his sins and that is a very fearful thing, but by faith in Yashua he is delivered.

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2386287 - 02/28/04 09:33 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I really appreciate this thread. :thumbup:

Myself, I see God as Everything. Life, Existance, this moment... me.. you... I don't understand the concept of God being seperate from us. My experiences do not mesh well with that concept.

This moment is a profound one and full of meaning. Everyone of us is experiencing, taking on this meaning... God is the Ultimate meaning. The all-encompassing. It also feels as if God is sentinent... God isn't unaware of all of this going on. God is a realm of existance and we are within that realm, therefore we are all composing God and a part of God...

This is the archetype of God that gets me off. :grin: It sure beats the Christian image of God that was originally based on either a king passing judgement on his people or perhaps an alien... I have always found it amazing that Odin and the Norse Gods are dismissed as mythology and as probably just being Viking Kings worshipped as Gods.. but yet there is no more evidence that proves that the Christian God was also just a king... doesn't it make you wonder who is telling the story of history?  :rolleyes:

I certainly don't believe that there once was a giant lumberjack who had a blue ox who created the Great Lakes.... :lol: If the legend of Paul Bunyan was expanded so that he was a God and offered judgement and Heaven and the same stuff that the Christian God does, then what is the difference? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?! :laugh:

Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: peleg]
    #2386438 - 02/28/04 11:19 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"god hates sin..."

god hates?
why give such a negtive human emotion to a "god"
why give any human concepts to "god"

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: Atomisk]
    #2386870 - 02/28/04 03:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Did God not create us in His own image?

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #2386887 - 02/28/04 03:23 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

exactly, ALL living things are his reflection. Hatred is not an evil emotion, it's a negative one but not evil. And since the balance of the universe applies even to God he can experience negative emotions as well. However, God doesen't hate sin. He hates the fact that men have evil thoughts starting shorty after birth but he has come to accept this. It's on the bible. Even though he has come to accept this he still needs his living offspring to maintain a connection to him. By evolving our spiritual selves we come closer and can feel him, the source of all heat, light, vibration and life.

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Re: Afraid of God? [Re: Spokesman]
    #2386911 - 02/28/04 03:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

God doesnt change never has never will. When Christ Yashua hung on the cross He was forsaken by His Father, becuase God is so Holy He can not look upon sin. Love the sinner but hate the sin. That is why we can have a relationship with Him thru His One and Only Begotten Son thru faith in Him we are made rightouss and He acceppts us as He did His Own Son. the Lord Yashua reing in might n glory forever more,halliujua.

--------------------

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
    #2387506 - 02/28/04 08:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

no, i think its the other way around

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: Afraid of God? [Re: Frog]
    #2387568 - 02/28/04 09:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

God isn't going to do anything bad to us.

2 assumptions here:
-God exists and
-he/she/it isn't going to hurt us

Please prove that to me.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]