Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: johnm214]
    #17153983 -

johnm214 said:
Great.  Another self important proclamation that anybody who doesn't agree with the poster's philosophy must be an ignorant fool.



I have not called anyone a fool and I don't think anyone is a fool. Some people are just not as aware of their surroundings as others. So far a lot of people I've come across on this forum seem pretty aware, they are not fools.

Quote:
Usually conversations with these people reveal they know jack shit- kinda funny how that works out.



I'm sorry you've run into people like that. I'm not one of them.

Quote:
In any case, Jesus said many times that he had god like powers, and your summary of his teachings is baseless.



Jesus is just the name of a character in a story. Does anybody on this forum know who Jesus is? No. Because none of us have met him. Was he a fictional character? Probably. So does that mean that we should believe that this character is a real living being that performed god-like powers and may even be God himself? No.

That's the first mistake, people think the stories of Jesus are true, historical events. If one takes it literally, then there are so many flaws, so many problems. It's like if I believed Superman was a real person who really saved people and may come back to save me and take me to his home planet one day. That would be...insane. The weight of that belief would cause untold suffering in not only my life, but the lives of the people around me. So, what's the conclusion? Jesus is most likely a fictional character, so there is no need to put emphasis on his "miraculous powers".

Quote:
Good teachings?



Yes for instance, "Do not judge, so that you may not be judged."

"Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' while the log is in your own eye. First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye."

"In everything do to others as you would have them do to you."

An example of interpretating Jesus's sayings in a non-literal way for the purpose of being a more moral person:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me."

This is a moral lesson in humility. The fictional character Jesus is saying that we must lower ourselves to a position that will place others above us. For example, look out for others before yourself. For example, if you win a trophy let your actions that got you your trophy speak louder than your words (i.e. don't brag too much, etc). For example, help others and do it in a way that is not prideful. So what's the kingdom of heaven? It's a state of consciousness. When you practice the act of humility your life begins to feel better. It's like when you give someone a present or give a homeless person money and you feel really good about it. That's the kingdom of heaven, that joy you experience out of giving.

Quote:
Good like eternal torture for finite crimes (and noncrimes)?


 

That is something that the church made up over time. Again, just like the kingdom of heaven, hell is just a state of consciousness. In fact the word hell was not used in the original manuscripts. Jesus used the word Gehenna, which was a valley that the Jews burned their trash in. So in contrast to the above paragraph, if one was to live a life of hate, pride, selfishness, violence, deceit, etc. one would begin to experience a hell-like state of consciousness. For example, let's take the murderer who is on trial. He is consciously in a perpetual state of turmoil and misery because of his actions. But you see he did it to himself. No one "condemned" him to hell. Sure, he's in prison now and the cops took him there, but he knew what was at stake before he broke the law. So it's not the law's fault, it's the man's fault. He created his own hell by doing wrong. So, if we believe the church's lie about how hell is a literal burning place where non-Christians go, then we create a huge problem. But, if we see it as simply a state of consciousness that one can experience in this life on Earth, then it begins to make more sense.

Quote:
Good like abandoning your family?



No one in their right mind would abandon their family. It's about not being attached to family. Attachment causes problems. For instance, let's say I lead myself to believe that my wife is my everything. "Without her I would have nothing, I'd be as good as dead!" Then, one day my wife decides she wants a divorce because there is another man she wants to be with instead of me. Well, shit, I'm so attached to my wife that this news has ruined me! I'm devastated! I'm going to kick that guy's ass, I'm going to be mad, I'm going to throw fits and punch holes in the wall. I'm going to cry a lot and my life is going to be a hellhole because I'm going to let my emotions run me. When we attach ourselves to things, even to people, our life just gets so much heavier. Sometimes the weight of it all is unbearable. There's no reason to live that way, life is hard enough, attachment only makes it harder.


Quote:
Good like giving away everything you own?



No one in their right mind would give away everything that they own. Remember, this is another attachment lesson. It means we shouldn't latch onto our possessions. Our possessions are temporary and we never know how long they'll be around. For instance, Hurricane Sandy rocked the east coast recently and people lost a lot of their possessions. Some of them are now suffering because they are worried about all of the items they lost. If they would not put their money and their possessions on such a high pedestal they wouldn't suffer as much. It's not about giving away everything you own, it's about knowing that your possessions are not the most important things in your life and you can make it with or without them.

Quote:
Good like not planning for the future at all?



I would hope everyone would plan for the future. I don't know where you got this from.

Quote:
What a disgusting comment you've made.  I'd hate to see what "bad" is in your eyes. These teachings are the raving of a mad man that would cause, and have caused, untold misseries in families around the world.



Again, as far as we know this fictional character didn't cause any problems. Only those who have misinterpreted his teachings (i.e., the church) have caused problems.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: ConfettiHead]
    #17154156 -

ConfettiHead said:
It's like if I believed Superman was a real person who really saved people and may come back to save me and take me to his home planet one day. That would be...insane.



Krypton blew up, of course that's insane.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: ConfettiHead]
    #17176482 -

ConfettiHead said:
johnm214 said:
Great.  Another self important proclamation that anybody who doesn't agree with the poster's philosophy must be an ignorant fool.



I have not called anyone a fool and I don't think anyone is a fool. Some people are just not as aware of their surroundings as others. So far a lot of people I've come across on this forum seem pretty aware, they are not fools.

Quote:
Usually conversations with these people reveal they know jack shit- kinda funny how that works out.



I'm sorry you've run into people like that. I'm not one of them.

Quote:
In any case, Jesus said many times that he had god like powers, and your summary of his teachings is baseless.



Jesus is just the name of a character in a story. Does anybody on this forum know who Jesus is? No. Because none of us have met him. Was he a fictional character? Probably. So does that mean that we should believe that this character is a real living being that performed god-like powers and may even be God himself? No.

That's the first mistake, people think the stories of Jesus are true, historical events. If one takes it literally, then there are so many flaws, so many problems. It's like if I believed Superman was a real person who really saved people and may come back to save me and take me to his home planet one day. That would be...insane. The weight of that belief would cause untold suffering in not only my life, but the lives of the people around me. So, what's the conclusion? Jesus is most likely a fictional character, so there is no need to put emphasis on his "miraculous powers".

Quote:
Good teachings?



Yes for instance, "Do not judge, so that you may not be judged."

"Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' while the log is in your own eye. First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye."

"In everything do to others as you would have them do to you."

An example of interpretating Jesus's sayings in a non-literal way for the purpose of being a more moral person:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me."

This is a moral lesson in humility. The fictional character Jesus is saying that we must lower ourselves to a position that will place others above us. For example, look out for others before yourself. For example, if you win a trophy let your actions that got you your trophy speak louder than your words (i.e. don't brag too much, etc). For example, help others and do it in a way that is not prideful. So what's the kingdom of heaven? It's a state of consciousness. When you practice the act of humility your life begins to feel better. It's like when you give someone a present or give a homeless person money and you feel really good about it. That's the kingdom of heaven, that joy you experience out of giving.

Quote:
Good like eternal torture for finite crimes (and noncrimes)?


 

That is something that the church made up over time. Again, just like the kingdom of heaven, hell is just a state of consciousness. In fact the word hell was not used in the original manuscripts. Jesus used the word Gehenna, which was a valley that the Jews burned their trash in. So in contrast to the above paragraph, if one was to live a life of hate, pride, selfishness, violence, deceit, etc. one would begin to experience a hell-like state of consciousness. For example, let's take the murderer who is on trial. He is consciously in a perpetual state of turmoil and misery because of his actions. But you see he did it to himself. No one "condemned" him to hell. Sure, he's in prison now and the cops took him there, but he knew what was at stake before he broke the law. So it's not the law's fault, it's the man's fault. He created his own hell by doing wrong. So, if we believe the church's lie about how hell is a literal burning place where non-Christians go, then we create a huge problem. But, if we see it as simply a state of consciousness that one can experience in this life on Earth, then it begins to make more sense.

Quote:
Good like abandoning your family?



No one in their right mind would abandon their family. It's about not being attached to family. Attachment causes problems. For instance, let's say I lead myself to believe that my wife is my everything. "Without her I would have nothing, I'd be as good as dead!" Then, one day my wife decides she wants a divorce because there is another man she wants to be with instead of me. Well, shit, I'm so attached to my wife that this news has ruined me! I'm devastated! I'm going to kick that guy's ass, I'm going to be mad, I'm going to throw fits and punch holes in the wall. I'm going to cry a lot and my life is going to be a hellhole because I'm going to let my emotions run me. When we attach ourselves to things, even to people, our life just gets so much heavier. Sometimes the weight of it all is unbearable. There's no reason to live that way, life is hard enough, attachment only makes it harder.


Quote:
Good like giving away everything you own?



No one in their right mind would give away everything that they own. Remember, this is another attachment lesson. It means we shouldn't latch onto our possessions. Our possessions are temporary and we never know how long they'll be around. For instance, Hurricane Sandy rocked the east coast recently and people lost a lot of their possessions. Some of them are now suffering because they are worried about all of the items they lost. If they would not put their money and their possessions on such a high pedestal they wouldn't suffer as much. It's not about giving away everything you own, it's about knowing that your possessions are not the most important things in your life and you can make it with or without them.

Quote:
Good like not planning for the future at all?



I would hope everyone would plan for the future. I don't know where you got this from.

Quote:
What a disgusting comment you've made.  I'd hate to see what "bad" is in your eyes. These teachings are the raving of a mad man that would cause, and have caused, untold misseries in families around the world.



Again, as far as we know this fictional character didn't cause any problems. Only those who have misinterpreted his teachings (i.e., the church) have caused problems.




You are trying to help a (blind man to see)and it appears he wishes to remain blind thank you for your effort amen friend! Yet another possible metaphor of jesus that has been spun into something literal.


--------------------
Everything I write and say I do is for role playing and entertainment purpose only!!!
The more we learn, the more we learn we have to learn.
We are one in the river and one again after the fall.
We all come from go back to and visit the same place. so why can't we
All get along!!!

Edited by ShamaNick (11/06/12 11:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: ShamaNick]
    #17178139 -

ShamaNick said:
You are trying to help a (blind man to see)and it appears he wishes to remain blind thank you for your effort amen friend! Yet another possible metaphor of jesus that has been spun into something literal.




All I know is what the book actually says.  If you can provide some methodology consistant with the bible being the inspired or actual word of god that allows me to determine what it means, I'd be happy to hear it.  So far nobody has.

The only answer I ever get is to ignore what you don't like and focus on the good.  Of course this removes the bible from having any moral force, as if you can decide what is good and bad in the bible you wouldn't need to bible to decide what is good and bad.

Good stuff:  Nice.

Bad stuff:  you need a more sophisticated reading that I can't actually present and defend, but I know it must exist... couldn't be that sheep hearding peasants might not have been such nice guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: johnm214]
    #17178497 -

Quote:
Of course this removes the bible from having any moral force, as if you can decide what is good and bad in the bible you wouldn't need to bible to decide what is good and bad.



I Hope people can decide what is right without the help of a book.
However having a book full of only good, would not get some of the main points across of the books.


--------------------
Orgone Conclusion...Bringing OTD to PS&P since 2007.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: Cactilove]
    #17178566 -

Cactilove said:
Quote:
Of course this removes the bible from having any moral force, as if you can decide what is good and bad in the bible you wouldn't need to bible to decide what is good and bad.



I Hope people can decide what is right without the help of a book.




Then you hope proponents of divine command theory are wrong and thus undercut some of the most popular appologetics for the bible.

The Euthyphro dilema has disposed of this long ago, yet the unread are ignorant of it.


Quote:
However having a book full of only good, would not get some of the main points across of the books.




So what?  You don't actually make an arguemnt of relevance to the post you've replied to, but if I interpret this to have attempted some relevant point, it can only be a straw man.  I didn't say the book need or should be composed only of good, I said there's no way to read it as a christian who believes its god's word/inspired and take it as moral instruction/law - that I've found.

All you get are casual appologists who just 'know' there is such an interpretation but can't produce it.  Interpretations the are inconsistant, arbitrary, and clearly based off of extraneous considerations are what you get instead.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: ConfettiHead] * 1
    #17178577 -

Quote:
You can't skim over Jesus's teachings (or any spiritual master's teachings) one time, very quickly and expect to understand it.



So, as he travelled town to town talking largely to simple, undeducated folks, he followed his sermons with "I'll be back next year to explain what I really meant in more depth"?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #17178627 -

Quote:
Then you hope proponents of divine command theory are wrong and thus undercut some of the most popular appologetics for the bible.



Divine command theory? You can't deny that some parts of the bible have good teachings.
I can't deny they have some bad ones. Yin and yang.
Euthyphro dillema enlighten me sir, link?
If you are looking for a perfect book that you can open and read to become enlightened or to know find a way to get into heaven, well the bible won't do that.
The bible is fun to spend a couple minutes reading a passage, and then decode it into your own language. It's like a cross reference book. Some are like a koan. The bible is a mystery to be cracked.
So what is your point then?
The bible is useless because it is filled with wild stories, and evil words?


--------------------
Orgone Conclusion...Bringing OTD to PS&P since 2007.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: Cactilove] * 1
    #17178641 -

Quote:
Divine command theory? You can't deny that some parts of the bible have good teachings.
I can't deny they have some bad ones.



Then you do not follow the bible.  The moral of the very first story in the book is that you don't have the privilege or right to choose what are the good ones and what are the bad ones.  The moment you take that decision making processes unto yourself is the moment you deny the bible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: DieCommie]
    #17178664 -

First of all link? Adam and Eve?
Second of all, the bible was written by over 40 people.
So are you saying that I have To follow the first writers advice, because he wrote that one passage? This means I have to follow everything in the book? That is impossible. You would get clusterfucked, contradiction is expected when there are 40 authors.


--------------------
Orgone Conclusion...Bringing OTD to PS&P since 2007.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #17178667 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:
You can't skim over Jesus's teachings (or any spiritual master's teachings) one time, very quickly and expect to understand it.



So, as he travelled town to town talking largely to simple, undeducated folks, he followed his sermons with "I'll be back next year to explain what I really meant in more depth"?



It was probably more like "You might not understand what I'm saying, but since I am the son of god you will have to take my word for it. Peace. I'm out."


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17178691 -

From my personal experience with BACs, "Judge not!" actually means "Judge very harshly - and often!" Not sure why JC was so fucking vague on this point. :mad:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: Cactilove]
    #17178697 -

Cactilove said:
First of all link? Adam and Eve?
Second of all, the bible was written by over 40 people.
So are you saying that I have To follow the first writers advice, because he wrote that one passage? This means I have to follow everything in the book? That is impossible. You would get clusterfucked, contradiction is expected when there are 40 authors.




Yea, thats a good reason to reject the bible and christianity.  The first moral and a theme throughout is to not think for yourself and surrender your ability to define morals to the haphazard collection of crap written by 40 authors.

Remember, the best lie is hidden between truths.  Dont let the few sensible passages in there sell you on the whole rotten lot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: Cactilove]
    #17178701 -

Cactilove said:
Quote:
Then you hope proponents of divine command theory are wrong and thus undercut some of the most popular appologetics for the bible.



Divine command theory? You can't deny that some parts of the bible have good teachings.



Again you seem to be arguing things that seem completely irrelevant.  Lets grant your premise that some parts of the bible have good teachings- so what?  When people keep shifting the goalposts I begin to suspect them.

And what is this:  "divine command theory?"

If you don't know appologetics, go learn some basics before engaging others on how the bible is read and rationalized.  If your question isn't mere vocabulary, you'll have to use words to express it.




Quote:
Euthyphro dillema enlighten me sir, link?



http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Euthyphro+dillema

Quote:
If you are looking for a perfect book that you can open and read to become enlightened or to know find a way to get into heaven, well the bible won't do that.



More irrelevant appeals?  If your going to just make these bare declarations of no relevance, please go somewhere else.  If you purport to be engaging me on something I've said, please identify it and show the relevance of your post to it.




Quote:
So what is your point then?
The bible is useless because it is filled with wild stories, and evil words?




Another straw man.  How many does that make now?

I said plainly what my point is.  You seem uncomfortable with that, but have instead decided to attack nonsense positions you yourself made up for that purpose.  I suspect this is because you can't actually attack my position (and in some cases seem to not even know basic appologetics while instructing others how the bible is to be read).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #17178944 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:
You can't skim over Jesus's teachings (or any spiritual master's teachings) one time, very quickly and expect to understand it.



So, as he travelled town to town talking largely to simple, undeducated folks, he followed his sermons with "I'll be back next year to explain what I really meant in more depth"?



No, he never explained what he meant. Don't you know that he often spoke in parables and that many did not understand him? His teachings are left wide open for interpretation.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: ConfettiHead]
    #17178950 -

That's convenient now isn't it?


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: johnm214]
    #17181062 -

So your argument is against god writing the bible?
According to John and the psalms, are we not gods too?
No worries about making me uncomfortable, I don't swing with the majority of christians, I would be excommunicated if I attended church.


--------------------
Orgone Conclusion...Bringing OTD to PS&P since 2007.

Edited by Cactilove (11/07/12 07:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: Cactilove]
    #17181325 -

Cactilove said:
So your argument is against god writing the bible?



No, I made my argument quite clearly, that I know of no way to read the bible for moral instruction that is coherent and not incompatible with the christian faith of god inspiring/writing the cannon for human edification.

You can pick and choose, but to make that call you have to have a moral source to determine what to pick and choose, and thus that fails.  You can take it all as it plainly is, but then you have contradictions and plainly immoral teachings.  You can treat it like any other book but that's inconsistant with the christian faith or the belief god provided the books by his good will.


You can also do what confettihead does, and make arrogant posts about Jesus's teachings and then when he is challenged equivocate immediately to the position that there is no Jesus.  I guess that's one way to get out of backing up your claims, just change the definition of words constantly on the fly.



Dumb.  There's only one source for any nontrivial report of Jesus and that's the books of the bible (if you exclude the apocrypha). 
Quote:
According to John and the psalms, are we not gods too?




Not to my knowledge.  I've never heard/read that that I can recall. 

There is some stuff that suggests the mormon view of a pantheon of gods that perhaps humans might join, but its a stretch with lots of presumptions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: johnm214]
    #17181343 -

Quote:
Remember, the best lie is hidden between truths.  Dont let the few sensible passages in there sell you on the whole rotten lot.



hidden between truths, so if I am going to kill someone and say satan was the reason is that religion working between truths?

Are the more religious worth more than their crime?


--------------------
★★★ ★

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: If Jesus was really God [Re: the human abstract]
    #17181438 -

Quote:
No, I made my argument quite clearly, that I know of no way to read the bible for moral instruction that is coherent and not incompatible with the christian faith of god inspiring/writing the cannon for human edification.




Rephrase that please.
Quote:
You can pick and choose, but to make that call you have to have a moral source to determine what to pick and choose, and thus that fails.



Why?
Quote:
You can take it all as it plainly is, but then you have contradictions and plainly immoral teachings.


 
Not a good idea.
Quote:
You can treat it like any other book but that's inconsistant with the christian faith or the belief god provided the books by his good will.



So?
Quote:
There's only one source for any nontrivial report of Jesus and that's the books of the bible



Again so?


--------------------
Orgone Conclusion...Bringing OTD to PS&P since 2007.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* God = Jesus?
( 1 2 3 all )
Alan Stone 3,633 42 02/13/04 02:23 PM
by SpecialEd
* for anyone who wants to follow Jesus
( 1 2 all )
mariasabina 2,093 23 04/20/02 11:41 AM
by nugsarenice
* Jesus said...
( 1 2 3 all )
ninjapixie 1,733 43 11/29/04 11:22 PM
by ninjapixie
* Dose God exist? Take a look around.
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Bavet 7,646 67 02/06/03 10:46 AM
by Strumpling
* Jesus didn't believe in the Christian God.
( 1 2 3 all )
Sclorch 6,020 51 10/17/02 06:43 AM
by gnrm23
* Conversion vs turning to God for the 1st time
( 1 2 all )
FreakQlibrium 1,540 28 12/04/04 10:55 PM
by Lightningfractal
* God Exists
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Zahid 12,784 113 03/18/03 03:57 PM
by falcon
* Why God MUST be real
( 1 2 3 4 all )
plague member 8,215 74 09/14/01 02:30 PM
by CACA

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,256 topic views. 1 members, 2 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.