Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Fresh Lard, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
Open letter to God
    #1469801 - 04/18/03 11:23 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The following 'letter' was written by a close friend of mine. It comes off a bit better in his scrawled handwriting, but i think it still gets the point across.

Dear God,

What happened? I'm no rocket scientist, but it's apparent that something's not quite right. Your supposed son has been misquoted now for a couple thousand years and now a bunch of self-righteous lunatics are in a tizzy waiting for him to come save their unimaginative asses. If 'you' really do exist, God, you must be a 'he' because no woman would create such a testosterone-driven species that so arrogantly removes itself from the food chain. 'Love one another' was so fucking simple. But then along came religion - opium of the masses and crack of the asses. Please, oh God, help the spiritually perverted realize that religion prevents our children from having a rational education. It prevents us from removing the fundamental causes of war. Religion prevents Jerry Falwell from having sex with sheep (the lamb of God) and it prevents us from teaching the ethic of scientific cooperation in place of the old, fierce, walloping bullshit doctrines of sin and punishment. (Jesus, you may have died for my sins, but I kinda think you overreacted.) Its possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age, but if so, it will be necessary to first slay the dragon that guards the door, and that dragon is religion.
Thanks for listening God. I love you.

me

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Open letter to God [Re: jimsuzo]
    #1469833 - 04/18/03 11:45 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Dear Me,

Umm, what was that again? I was gettin' bizzee with a teen maiden...

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Open letter to God [Re: ]
    #1470048 - 04/18/03 12:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Lord... did you know that in St. Louis, everyone praises 'the Lard'?

Are you just going to let that happen or what?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#1470085 - 04/18/03 12:58 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Please, oh God, help the spiritually perverted realize that religion prevents our children from having a rational education. It prevents us from removing the fundamental causes of war.

I actually wrote a 20 page thesis on this very subject! I like your way of putting it.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: Open letter to God [Re: djd586]
    #1470141 - 04/18/03 01:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Good letter indeed.

It's ridiculous that religion is shoved down the throats of children from such an early age, and on such a mass scale.

I don't care how correct you think you are, or how "strong" you say your beliefs are, adults should simply not introduce religious teachings to their children until they are old enough to be able to think for themselves.

When you're a young child, you believe anything that adults tell you, because you look up to adults... compared to you, who just recently learned how to walk and talk, adults are like gods of knowledge... powerful human creatures who have existed for many times as long as you have, with the physical strength to kill you in a matter of seconds! Damn right you're inclined to believe what these priests, teachers and idiots on Television are telling you.

The Freedom of choice is the most important thing we are born with, and adults of all religions all over the world are committing a crime against independence when they rob the innocent of their precious freedom to evaluate and choose for themselves.

I am very lucky... my parents never forced anything down my throat, but merely introduced the concept to me when I was old enough to explore the topic for myself. Today, I realize that religion is a useful tool in connecting some people to the concept of higher beings... but it is taken far too literally. Religious teachings are great, as long as you understand that they are not actual fact!

It boggles my mind to know that so many people ACTUALLY believe that this planet was created as it is, and God the almighty placed two individuals, Adam and Eve on the planet, from which we all originated, born into perpetual debt which must be repaid to some invisible man in the sky.

Ridiculous... I am a highly spiritual person, but religion is a completely unneccessary institution which I believe everyone is better off without. You connection with the divine is a PERSONAL one. Why go through a third party for spiritual understanding when you can go directly to the source itself through spiritual practices like meditation and astral projection.

Whoops, I've gone on a rant! Time to stop... hehehe

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Offlineninjahedge
hedge made ofninjas

Loc: here nor there
Re: Open letter to God [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1470464 - 04/18/03 02:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

totally agree with you, amnesiac.
unfortunately, my parents did infulence me greatly during my early years to adhere to the christian religion. i complacently followed these beliefs they implanted in me until 3 years ago when i was 15-16 years old. I do not resent them doing this - it is what their parents did for them and in their minds it is the best possible thing for me. but it puts me in a bad position - for now i do not hold their beliefs, and now am having difficulty in telling them that i have chosen not to take part in their religion. I know they will accept me no matter what path i follow, but nevertheless i fear their disappointment if i tell them i do not believe.

how can religion be meaningful, when so many of its adherents are doing so only because their moms and dads took them to sunday school every week when they were kids? religion depends on preying on the extremely impressionable minds of the young - and while they think they are doing the right thing, it really is a shame...

--------------------
ow, i poked my brain,
now it's leaking all over...
i guess it's ok

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Open letter to God [Re: ninjahedge]
    #1471157 - 04/18/03 07:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I think religion 'evolved' with us as a society, wich really shouldnt have. Im sure there have been church scandals for quite some time now, however i think the base of most religions are pretty much the same, and serve you with a good lesson, and simple rules to make life easier on everyone. The bible is a great book to me, full of fables, and what not that teach me a great lesson. I think we all need to come together as one, im kinda tired of this bullshit. Religion is within, however i think it is pretty cool to have a holy place to worship, and just spend time to think. The same people who would never be caught dead in a church would love to go to a monestary. I am speaking of what i know here, wich isnt a whole lot, but I think the ideas are pretty much the same, however, everything gets bigger, and excused somehow. Churches, and places of celebration of life must be maintained wich costs a little money. Once some money is coming in, why not press for a little more. We arnt abusing it, we are simply building on to god. People strive for the top, stepping on anyones toes it takes to get there, kissing only the ass you will need to soon step on thiers. Modern religion is full of bad things, but still based on good ideas. I wouldnt let them stand in the way, the truth is out there, and if you excuse finding it because of hte fact that another human, or humans are not perfect and made a mistake is infact making just as big of a mistake as them. I dunno. I dont like getting caught up in stuff. I like sleeping.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Open letter to God [Re: tak_old]
    #1471755 - 04/18/03 11:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Death to Religion!

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleThe_Clash_UK
Day Tripper
Loc: UK
    #1471813 - 04/19/03 12:10 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I used to hate religion and christans and the like.
Now I have respect for them, because they have faith. It dosnt matter if the faith is based on some bollocks. these people who say they feel the love of Jesus really do feel it. I wish I could feel something like that.

The ferryman had faith in the river. look where that got him! :grin:

--------------------
Crash a cig guvnor?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Fresh Lard, Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology