Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Veritas]
    #9392465 -

Veritas said:
it stars saddam said:
I guess I assumed that since it had been written, it must be true.



Heterosexuals really do want to have sex with others of the same sex.



As if you had to tell me that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9392515 -

Why, are you very gay or something? :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9392614 -

Nihilists are never gay.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9392628 -

Sure, this is what I mean, but maybe I take it one step further...

In all practical terms these "smarter atheists" are not part of a group, so I would say they are not actually atheists -

A "real zen monk" is not zen - and if he is, he really is not.

Its the difference between negation and nothingness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: axl]
    #9392667 -

What if everything has always existed and there was no beginning nor end. And why does it matter where we came from. We are not even a speck of anything compared to the universe that is infinite.


--------------------
:mushroom2:This just is and that's okay.:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9392673 -

Poid said:
Why, are you very gay or something? :shrug:



Honestly, no, I'm not, though sometimes I wish I was, just to piss off homophobes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: daytripper23]
    #9392680 -

It's like gays. There are gay people who basically conform to an effeminate personality because a lot of other gays do it, and there are gays that you'd be like, "WTF, you're a fag???" if you saw them because they look or act like any other straight guy. The straight-seeming gay guy bitches about how the girly fags are ruining the image of the homosexual community, similarly to how I bitch about beaners for ruining the image of the Mexican community (I'm Mexican), not that I really care all that much, I just don't like seeing people be stupid, regardless of their name tag! :grin:

So what exactly is Zen? A meditation technique? A school of thought? An organized religion? A philosophy? I'd do Wikipedia, but I want to hear a human being's personal take on this!

Edited by Poid (12/08/08 02:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9392692 -

it stars saddam said:
Poid said:
Why, are you very gay or something? :shrug:



Honestly, no, I'm not, though sometimes I wish I was, just to piss off homophobes.



Don't hate on homophobes, they're condition is the result of attatchment to the ego. It's not any individual's fault that there's a certain societal mold created in order to bring people of different backgrounds together. Once somebody has already created an identity and are part of a social circle/group, it's hard to escape!

Trust me, I hate people! :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9392704 -

Trust me, I hate people! :grin:

What's not to trust?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Icelander]
    #9392716 -

Isn't there not something, or ain't it anything? :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9392732 -

Oh I agree.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Icelander]
    #9392789 -

C'mon man, you're crapping out on me!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9392796 -

So true.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: axl]
    #9398413 -

axl said:
Don't confuse something's existence with it's physical materialization.

I don't think that ghosts roam around in physical form, but I can not deny their existence and the impact they have on our society.  Or the fact that someone's life can haunt you after they die.




+1 for language skills

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: deCypher]
    #9398428 -

deCypher said:
Hey, I didn't say they were the same thing.  :nono:

Besides, some people on here claim that atheism is really nontheism, or the lack of a belief in a God.  I think they're full of hooey, but...




I think they are too.  They generally seem ignorant and blindly throw words around that cause frustration.

There seems to be arguments that their version is correct historically, but that's not really the point of language, and I don't think you should claim you're an atheist without clarifying what you mean when you're using the word against the prevailing understanding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: johnm214]
    #9406606 -

I thought non-theism was the prevailing understanding of Atheism. That's what I thought it was when I declared myself Athiest in 9th grade. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9406938 -

Theism is just the "ism", didnt you know? Atheism is just a particular subclass of "isms".

Heh, Im sorry but this is the full extent of my argument. It had might as well be true in consideration of what I have said previously in this thread concerning language.

For instance, you declare a non-belief, but do you live a declared non-belief, indulging in a metaphysic of your own?

Someone should actually look up the etymology of theism and atheism; I would be interested to know the real deal. I looked myself, but couldnt find an interpretation of "the"...

Edited by daytripper23 (12/10/08 03:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: daytripper23]
    #9407168 -

The root is "theos," the Greek word for "god."  Theism is a belief in God, whereas a-theism (the prefix a- meaning without) is an absence of belief in God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Veritas]
    #9407307 -

word

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: daytripper23]
    #9408808 -

Quote:
The root is "theos," the Greek word for "god."  Theism is a belief in God, whereas a-theism (the prefix a- meaning without) is an absence of belief in God.




That's too simple, you make it seem like us atheists have it so easy. :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Atheism and Theism are not Polar Opposites.
( 1 2 all )
Evolving 3,667 35 02/16/04 11:07 PM
by Sclorch
* the Muslim and the Atheist Zahid 1,281 9 07/26/02 02:13 PM
by Anonymous
* Islam, religion of peace?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 8,652 83 04/06/03 04:41 PM
by Anonymous
* Do You Believe In God?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
EffedS 7,248 92 09/08/03 09:58 AM
by Clover
* Do u Believe, in an unconditional loving God ?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
lucid 11,394 74 09/25/03 05:08 PM
by ska8ball
* Religion and God
( 1 2 3 all )
RandalFlagg 4,361 40 09/19/03 01:49 PM
by Clover
* Afraid of God?
( 1 2 all )
Seeking_Gnosis 3,005 28 03/01/04 05:26 PM
by Shroomerious
* Thou shalt have no other gods before Me
( 1 2 3 all )
falcon 3,951 41 09/16/03 01:17 PM
by gnrm23

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
6,124 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 12 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.