Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Arden]
    #9388592 -

Arden said:
But let's remember that children are first atheists by being one who has no belief or faith in any god.



Not necessarily.  I had a strong faith in Islam from the moment of my birth.  It caused a lot of tension within my family.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9388650 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9388674 -

it stars saddam said:
Arden said:
But let's remember that children are first atheists by being one who has no belief or faith in any god.



Not necessarily.  I had a strong faith in Islam from the moment of my birth.  It caused a lot of tension within my family.



And what were you before that moment?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9388742 -

I attended an Evangelical lecture when I was young. You must accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, or you're going to hell, the speaker explained.

However, babies and others out of the loop about Jesus Christ are exempt (when He's bored, He just doesn't bother with the Faith test with some people). As far as I remember there were no caveats for biased learning (the propaganda of Islam, Sufism, reason, etc.) or "not much" learning, so once you've heard the name it's devotion or hellfire.

Of course he also explained that you only have to accept Jesus once in your life to be saved; from that point on, you essentially have carte blanche.


--------------------
No debe haber separación, no puede haber definición.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9388798 -

Poid said:
it stars saddam said:
Arden said:
But let's remember that children are first atheists by being one who has no belief or faith in any god.



Not necessarily.  I had a strong faith in Islam from the moment of my birth.  It caused a lot of tension within my family.



And what were you before that moment?



Studying the Koran.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9389296 -

Mohammad had sex with a 9 year old. You knew about this before you were born and you still became a Muslim?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9390668 -

You knew about this before you were born

...what?


--------------------
Let's get the fuck out of here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: daytripper23]
    #9390793 -

Quote:
Atheism as a belief has nothing to do with heaven or hell to me.




Of course it does. By popular world opinion, all atheists are going to hell. I was kidding, come on.

Quote:
Also, you could only say these babies have no belief in God, which is much different than disbelief or resentment.




Which was part of the point. People tend to forget that atheism, apart from disbelief, linguistically represents an absence of belief in deities, in addition to the [conceptual] rejection of theism.

This has been mulled over time and time again; rejecting a claim based on an absence of evidence does not imply belief. This would continuously require the existence of an opposite.

"You reject the unicorn? Caught ya, you still believe in no-Unicorn!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9390812 -

Poid said:
Mohammad had sex with a 9 year old. You knew about this before you were born and you still became a Muslim?



I was sure he had his reasons.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9391055 -

it stars saddam said:
As an atheist, I was quite startled by the title of this thread.  I had always thought that I didn't believe in God, but as fate would have it, it turns out that I actually do.



So you are saying that your atheism is a reaction to your belief in God?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Icelander]
    #9391076 -

I'm saying that this thread's title has shattered my conception of what my atheism entailed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9391090 -

And I want to know how?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Icelander]
    #9391104 -

I guess I assumed that since it had been written, it must be true.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9391134 -

Watch out, with cynicism like this you may be invited to hang out with Hue, Ice and OC. :whoa:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9391752 -

it stars saddam said:
I guess I assumed that since it had been written, it must be true.



Heterosexuals really do want to have sex with others of the same sex.  They simply have not opened their mind and heart enough to realize it.  They carry on with their absurd charade, having sex with the opposite sex, in an attempt to deny their TRUE desires.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Veritas]
    #9391774 -

This is what I've basically always thought. Girls have sex with each other like nothing, but when it comes to guys, there's like a MAJOR social barrier. I mean, homosexuality has crossed my mind, but at this point in my life, it's not for me. I think I'm bi, but mostly straight. :grin:

What about people who don't normally have a high libido, or even those who have no libido whatsoever?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Poid]
    #9391861 -

Quote:
Heterosexuals really do want to have sex with others of the same sex.  They simply have not opened their mind and heart enough to realize it.  They carry on with their absurd charade, having sex with the opposite sex, in an attempt to deny their TRUE desires.



Actually, there is a study that confirms this (of course, we would need multiple studies to conclusively prove it, but it's compelling evidence nonetheless). According to the study, homophobic men were sexually aroused by male homosexual pornography, much more so than the nonhomophobic men were. Here's a link to the abstract: Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal?

Really, the Kinsey Scale makes the most sense when dealing with homosexuality. Homophobic men are men with some homosexual leanings that are just in denial (or unaware).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: iamconfused]
    #9391892 -

I knew it! It's such BS that as a child, I was raised to be against gay people, because men are supposed to hate gays unless they are gay. And for a while, I did hate them, obviously for no reason because I am not a homophobe, nor am I a faggot! So I was raised to be against gays because my parents just assumed that I was going to turn out a closeted faggot homophobe? :lol:, society is ridiculous.....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: Arden]
    #9392101 -

Arden said:
Quote:
Atheism as a belief has nothing to do with heaven or hell to me.




Of course it does. By popular world opinion, all atheists are going to hell. I was kidding, come on.

Quote:
Also, you could only say these babies have no belief in God, which is much different than disbelief or resentment.




Which was part of the point. People tend to forget that atheism, apart from disbelief, linguistically represents an absence of belief in deities, in addition to the [conceptual] rejection of theism.

This has been mulled over time and time again; rejecting a claim based on an absence of evidence does not imply belief. This would continuously require the existence of an opposite.

"You reject the unicorn? Caught ya, you still believe in no-Unicorn!"



As a linguistic tool, I agree with its use. But why would you think a concept is anything more than a linguistic tool?

I was suggesting that this label is in strict contradiction if it is thought as more than a representation. Further, as a representation it is even flawed, as a void cannot be represented. My point is that atheism overreaches itself when it claims to represent a clean slate. Atheism is an ideal, where if it actually represented what it claims, it would in all terms remain unsaid. It is a negation, which is much different than nothingness.

Speaking of Zen is the exactly the same, but at least zen acknowledges its own paradox. What is the sound of one hand clapping? Can you understand the absurdity of declaring Zenhood? In a practical world this is no difference.


Edited by daytripper23 (12/08/08 02:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: atheists really do believe in God [Re: daytripper23]
    #9392433 -

Quote:
Atheism is an ideal, where if it actually represented what it claims, it would in all terms remain unsaid. It is a negation, which is much different than nothingness.




It's only an ideal because people created it as an ideal. There are "true Athiests", then there's the one's who follow the crowd, or the "ideal" itself.

The only reason it doesn't remain unsaid is because we live in a society of human beings with different backgrounds and unique perspectives, and human beings like to experss themselves (or so I've been told!). It is only a negation in relation to society and it's collective consciousness, and only once it's been declared. When unspoken of, it is a void.

Basically, Atheism is "Fuck you, stop putting shit in my head, I'll figure it all out myself!", whereas the ideal of Atheism is more like "Oh, there's already a group of individuals who discard the whole ""God"" notion, so I'll become part of them!". The smarter Atheists don't want to be part of a certain group, the not-so-smart Atheists feel relieved by the feeling that there are others "just like them", and feel compelled to subject themselves to a role in the group, regardless of how high or low in the hierarchy they will be placed.

Is what I typed relevant enough? :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Atheism and Theism are not Polar Opposites.
( 1 2 all )
Evolving 3,667 35 02/16/04 11:07 PM
by Sclorch
* the Muslim and the Atheist Zahid 1,281 9 07/26/02 02:13 PM
by Anonymous
* Islam, religion of peace?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 8,652 83 04/06/03 04:41 PM
by Anonymous
* Do You Believe In God?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
EffedS 7,249 92 09/08/03 09:58 AM
by Clover
* Do u Believe, in an unconditional loving God ?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
lucid 11,396 74 09/25/03 05:08 PM
by ska8ball
* Religion and God
( 1 2 3 all )
RandalFlagg 4,361 40 09/19/03 01:49 PM
by Clover
* Afraid of God?
( 1 2 all )
Seeking_Gnosis 3,005 28 03/01/04 05:26 PM
by Shroomerious
* Thou shalt have no other gods before Me
( 1 2 3 all )
falcon 3,951 41 09/16/03 01:17 PM
by gnrm23

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
6,124 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 8 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.