Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Children and Cuss Words
    #4486253 - 08/02/05 06:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I never really got why certain words are forbidden in the presence of children. If a child overhears me say "Bush can kiss my ass," or "Bill O'Reilly is full of shit," does this cause them to become dilinquents? Have I traumatized them for life by exposing them to words that they will eventually encounter on the playground or in rap music anyway? It seems that such taboos are useless remnants of the Victorian age which serve no practical purpose. In short, fuck the religious right, fuck the FCC, and fuck you, Bill O'Reilly!

Oh ya, and fuck the police!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: Children and Cuss Words [Re: Silversoul]
    #4486276 - 08/02/05 06:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

90% of everything we do in modern society serves no real purpuse. In fact It is questionable if there is such a thing as real purpuse anyway. We just do what we do.

Is there a purpuse in washing ourselfs? Not really. Most alergies and lack of immunity is caused by high standard of hygiene.

Is there a purpuse in listening to music no? It only brings pleasure.
Hearing children swear feels unpleasant by most people, so they follow that feeling, just like we follow the feeling of pleasure from music.

Is there a purpuse in building society at all? Not really. Earth could live with us or without us.

People do what people do. No reason to do it, and no reason not to do it.

It's all up to your imagination

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4486278 - 08/02/05 06:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The words themselves are not the problem, but the fact that they do offend a lot of people creates problems.

Sure, the people who get offended aren't being entirely reasonable, but there are good reasons not to use them.

I remember being in a grocery store with an idiot friend who would talk loudly and swear. It was obviously making people around us uncomfortable, and I told him to shut up, but he just got angrier and louder, telling me that he could "say whatever the fuck he wanted to". Old women were visibly frightened, I think it's quite reasonable to not swear when you're making people uncomfortable.

Sometimes swearing can make you look kind of uneducated and inconsiderate. We all know that judging people by how they dress isn't exactly fair, but we still dress up to go to a job interview because we know that such judgements are unavoidable.

When it comes to swearing around children, imagine if you were a kindergarden teacher, and there was one kid in your class who swore all the time. It's going to start the other kids swearing, who will get in shit from their parents, who will likely come talking to you about it.

If the public perception of swearing changes (which has been happening... you won't hear 'fuck' in movies from the '50s), then there won't be a problem with letting kids swear. But until then, it's a good idea to teach your kids not to swear, for the same reasons that you don't want your kid to be the one that smells like pee in the classroom.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Children and Cuss Words [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4486281 - 08/02/05 06:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Is there a purpuse in washing ourselfs? Not really. Most alergies and lack of immunity is caused by high standard of hygiene.

I know this is off topic, but that's a little unreasonable. I know that allergies and low immunity can be caused by excessive cleanliness, but basic hygiene has also saved many lives by reducing the transfer of all kinds of microbes and dangerous shit.

You're basically saying that since way too much hygiene isn't a good thing, moderate hygiene is bad too, which doesn't make sense.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4486282 - 08/02/05 06:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hahaha, I was in Jersey last week visiting family, my husbands brother had a baby we were visiting for the first time. hes 8 months now. My husband was letting the word ass fly in expressions here and there and I would see my sister in law cringe.

Reminds me of the scene in meet the Fockers when the babies first word was "asshole.":lol:

I agree. It's total hypocrisy! I was hyper conscious about not using them around my daughter when she was young. Now that she is older and understands that grown ups will frown upon her using those words or not let their children play with her if she uses them, she knows the ropes and never slips even though she hears her dad and I use them.

I don't want to tell her that I can say them and she can't. I do tell her what the repercussions may be. She chooses not too. Sometimes when she is at her computer by herself, working at something new, I hear her say "Dammit!" It cracks me up coming from her. She's 8 and such a gentile girly girl.

If I caught her slipping in public around others, then I probably would ban curse words in the house. She seems to be able to discipline herself well from using them around others.

I should clarify something. I told her it's okay at home with just us if she uses them objectively like says "Oh Shit!" when she spills something on her shirt. (even though she doesn't say that and has a rich enough vocabulary to never use them) I have told her that I never want to hear them used at someone, like calling someone a shit head or fucking asshole. That goes along with name calling in general and has nothing to do with curse words themselves.

Personally, I am use to adults using curse words and it doesn't phase me. It wouldn't phase me in the least if children did with the same discretion.

I just asked my husband about this and he said to me that the rules should apply the same and these are his rules for them.

Adults and children alike should be allowed the freedom of speech but have the common sense to know when and where and how to use the words.

Adults who curse get frowned upon too or regret saying them or deal with repercussions and most know there is a time and place for where it's acceptable and when it's not, like......at my moms house. She gets upset if you say something "sucks". She doesn't "like" that word.:lol:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (08/02/05 07:05 PM)

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Children and Cuss Words [Re: Phluck]
    #4486283 - 08/02/05 07:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
The words themselves are not the problem, but the fact that they do offend a lot of people creates problems.

Sure, the people who get offended aren't being entirely reasonable, but there are good reasons not to use them.

I remember being in a grocery store with an idiot friend who would talk loudly and swear. It was obviously making people around us uncomfortable, and I told him to shut up, but he just got angrier and louder, telling me that he could "say whatever the fuck he wanted to". Old women were visibly frightened, I think it's quite reasonable to not swear when you're making people uncomfortable.

Sometimes swearing can make you look kind of uneducated and inconsiderate. We all know that judging people by how they dress isn't exactly fair, but we still dress up to go to a job interview because we know that such judgements are unavoidable.

When it comes to swearing around children, imagine if you were a kindergarden teacher, and there was one kid in your class who swore all the time. It's going to start the other kids swearing, who will get in shit from their parents, who will likely come talking to you about it.

If the public perception of swearing changes (which has been happening... you won't hear 'fuck' in movies from the '50s), then there won't be a problem with letting kids swear. But until then, it's a good idea to teach your kids not to swear, for the same reasons that you don't want your kid to be the one that smells like pee in the classroom.

people want to be respected and worshiped, swearing at them is the oposite of that.

If you want to please human, then give to each what he wants and expects.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4486301 - 08/02/05 07:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:

I know this is off topic, but that's a little unreasonable. I know that allergies and low immunity can be caused by excessive cleanliness, but basic hygiene has also saved many lives by reducing the transfer of all kinds of microbes and dangerous shit.

You're basically saying that since way too much hygiene isn't a good thing, moderate hygiene is bad too, which doesn't make sense.

I'm saying animals are build the same way as us, and survive the way they do. They do not build supermarkets, nor they have medicine, they have everything they need to live, and they live.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4486307 - 08/02/05 07:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well, they also die.

Keep in mind, we used to live like animals... and our average life expectancy was about 30. Now we wash our hands and have medicine, and it's like 75.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4486313 - 08/02/05 07:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

So we lived 30 and not 70. And we live now 70 and not 120.
If we lived 120, it wouldn't be 1000...

When life was 30, the mentality was adjusted to that. It was enough and "normal" at the time.

30 years is enough for a life such as animal life.

not to mention that sometimes, a simple life in the mountains hearding gotes can get you over 100, when life in modernized society can get you crawling to 75.

--------------------

Edited by OldWoodSpecter (08/02/05 07:13 PM)

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4486321 - 08/02/05 07:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I wanted to add this reply to your question as well. Cuss words in themselves will not cause trauma to a child. ANY words used violently backed by angry out of control emotions and actions can cause mental/emotional trauma to a child. If cuss words are used in light hearted expression, like "Oh shit, I forgot to pick up the dry cleaning, silly me." Thats pretty harmless IMHO

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4486364 - 08/02/05 07:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

When life was 30, the mentality was adjusted to that. It was enough and "normal" at the time.

30 years is enough for a life such as animal life.

Isn't that kind of changing the point so as to avoid being wrong? Your point originally was that washing was bad for you, that it led to health problems. Now your argument is that it's perfectly okay to die young.

Well, die young if you want, I'm going to try to make it well past 30.

not to mention that sometimes, a simple life in the mountains hearding gotes can get you over 100, when life in modernized society can get you crawling to 75.

Sometimes herding goats in the mountains will allow you to live to 100, sometimes not. Same as life in (oh so evil) modernized society. When it comes down to the average life span, people living without the luxuries of modern society tend to die a lot younger, even though a lucky few live to old age.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4486388 - 08/02/05 07:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you will far more often find some guy living up to 100 in the middle of the nowhere. Advanced medicine brings many other things with it: industry, polution, unhealthy food etc. etc.

you can't have a state of the art hospital in an environment where people live in caves

And yes, first I said too much washing can cause health problems, and then I said it doesn't matter how much we live. Everything changes from one minute to the other, doesn't it?

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4486394 - 08/02/05 07:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
you will far more often find some guy living up to 100 in the middle of the nowhere.

I'm gonna call shenanigans on that and ask for a source.

--------------------

Offlinesacredscroll
Stranger
    #4486412 - 08/02/05 07:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

there is an appropriate time for all words and phrases, be honest with your kids, and be conscious of what you say around your kids. I know people who use curse words in damn near every sentence that comes out of their mouth, as fillers, out of bad habit. Its hard to take what they say serious, and I'm more likely to miss what they are trying to say. You also have to think about what you are really saying; " bush can kiss my ass", well, yes I'm sure he would if he wanted to, and "bill o'reilly is full of shit", I don't know much about this guy, but lets assume he is full of lies and bad intentions, then to say he is full of shit would be a fair statement. It would be smart to not use curse words in front of your kids, until they are old enough to know what context they are effectively used in. And "fuck the police", being a guy, there are some fine looking female sheriffs patrolling the same streets I roam at night!

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4486417 - 08/02/05 07:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Would it made a difference if I learned that on some university, or if I put it together from some ridiculously small amount of information.
Nothing can bring credibility to words of human beings.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Children and Cuss Words [Re: sacredscroll]
    #4486423 - 08/02/05 07:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sacredscroll said:
there is an appropriate time for all words and phrases, be honest with your kids, and be conscious of what you say around your kids. I know people who use curse words in damn near every sentence that comes out of their mouth, as fillers, out of bad habit. Its hard to take what they say serious, and I'm more likely to miss what they are trying to say. You also have to think about what you are really saying; " bush can kiss my ass", well, yes I'm sure he would if he wanted to, and "bill o'reilly is full of shit", I don't know much about this guy, but lets assume he is full of lies and bad intentions, then to say he is full of shit would be a fair statement. It would be smart to not use curse words in front of your kids, until they are old enough to know what context they are effectively used in. And "fuck the police", being a guy, there are some fine looking female sheriffs patrolling the same streets I roam at night!

Why is it a bad habit? Does it hurt anyone?

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4486440 - 08/02/05 07:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Would it made a difference if I learned that on some university, or if I put it together from some ridiculously small amount of information.
Nothing can bring credibility to words of human beings.

It doesn't matter where you learn it, it matters how the information is obtained. If you went to university and they taught you that, it would likely have been the result of some people doing research. ie. Going out and collecting as much information as possible. Keeping tabs on the deaths in various places around the world until they have a large sample of data.

If you put it together though... guessing? (Or whatever), then it would be far less credible.

Sure, there are no absolutes, but there are some things that are far more credible than others.

Claiming that putting something together with very little information to begin with is just as credible as meticulously researching and collecting data to reach a conclusion is a total cop out.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4486446 - 08/02/05 07:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I find that both options would not make my words credible. Communication in itself is a risk that we chose to take

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4486461 - 08/02/05 07:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

So collecting facts and being able to show your work is no more credible than just making things up?

If that were the case, how would science have led to any inventions or discoveries? If the information collected through research were just as likely to be false as myths and guesses, how were we able to use this information to say, invent computers?

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4486477 - 08/02/05 08:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

well if I bring to you some study, all on paper, all approved by this and that, and tell you the results.
Can you ever really know I'm not making any of it up? What if I and the whole team of people conspired to fool you? What if you are having shizofrenia, and I never even came to you? What if my studies are misleading because of something that I forgot to consider?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology