Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
How are America's Children Experiencing the World?
    #1868036 - 08/31/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1868102 - 08/31/03 11:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Um... it kind of sucked? It was really messed up? It was dis tasteful in many ways. I lived in an apartment for a long time... and i got to know a lot of different kinds of people... families.... different home lifes and what not. 7 years of twisted life. A divorce to bring me there, and a death to bring me away. I had about the 3 most weird/messsed up experiences to my life as a child. It was just me, my mom, and my brother. My mom worked while my brother watched me during the days. I barely heard or saw my father, when i did, he would take us to his gf's house in Ft. Worth or wherever he wanted to take us. I never knew if he was drunk or sober (he was an alcoholic). A couple years before his death, he got married to one of his girl friends (she was from germany), and he never told me or my brother. My mom worked her ass off, while my dad just wasted away, not thinking about his own family. Besides that, when he died, my bastard mother fucker of an uncle took money that was set aside by my dad for me and my brother to go to college. His "wife" took the rest of our belongings that me and my brother had at my dads. I remember after my mom had gotten divorced, we lived off food stamps for a while. I went to day care while my mom worked and went to school. My brother was very angry as a teenager and growing up, sometimes taking it out on me... But i still looked up to him. I was lost in the middle of it all, and not to mention the "exposure to sex at too young an age", "dis affection", i had these swarming issues for the first 10 years of my life. School was still on the other side, which why i think it was always such hell to try and deal with people at school or even worry about it. As a result i barely listened, in 3rd grade i got into a lot of fights... and lol... get this my principal called my mom and said "I think your son is in a gang."  :lol: .

So i got a pretty shitty of view of life at first... but since its been an issue of rising above what i have been raised to be and believe. You know what they say about kids whos fathers have died and or gone, and are raised by a single mom house hold? Its almost 100% failure... So if you want to believe statistics, you can be a drug addict or a loser or gamble your life with success. So thats what i see about society wanting to believe about their own suffering. Thats what ive come to see about the complete lack of humans to do anything about the world around them. I see broken families cause people who dont give a shit about what they do to other people, cause they think their values become before other people. But yet they continue to involve other people through their decisions, and yet they still say "its not my fault".

Thats my experience, and thats my why. I see why my friends sing "suburban life aint what it seems"... ooo .... ooo cause its not.

--------------------
What?

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1868128 - 08/31/03 11:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Negative. Christianity/Catholicism taught me that only people who believe in Jesus are worthy of going to heaven, and all others are going to hell. On top of that, it imprints the mentality that life/the earth isn't going to have an optimistic future since God will one day destroy it because of the amount of people who will one day "turn their back on God". Really sucks the enjoyment out of life, and you're never really taught to appreciate it.

Now, that's sort of the Christian side of America. I also was surrounded by, as I think almost any culture does, a fear of other ways of life. Its basic sociology, in that in order to relieve anxiety about other ways of life, people, especially children would make fun of and demean anything that is foreign to their experience. People feel the need to know they are living "the right way to live", and I think when people are confronted with other societies that do things so differently, it's a threat to that.

But on the other hand, I had the opportunity to go to a progressive high school, which preached and practiced tolerance of everyone. It really undid a lot of the negative mentalities I was raised with. So on the whole, America encompasses a huge range of people, and what really determines a negative or positive connection to other cultures is in what pocket you're raised in.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1869290 - 08/31/03 08:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was just wondering what the majority of American children/young adults would say about their up-bringing and the vibe that that they feel from the entire Earth's population.

the majority aren't aware that a world exists outside America.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1869575 - 08/31/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I try and view the past as neutrally as possible. I realize that I had good experiences, and that I also had bad ones, but all of them were equally important in forming the person I am today. My childhood happened. : ) Peace.

--------------------

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1870109 - 09/01/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the majority aren't aware that a world exists outside America.

so true.

It's pretty funny how American kids are led to believe that everyone loves and looks up to America, when really most of the world despises it. I liked growing up here though. I'm looking forward to getting out sometime in the near future, but I'm glad that I have grown up around Americans. If I hadn't, I think it would be absolutely impossible to understand them.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1870315 - 09/01/03 02:34 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"How are America's Children Experiencing the World?"

We're all pretty fucked-up.. I'm not convinced this is based merely on "poor parenting"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1870541 - 09/01/03 05:13 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: chunder]
    #1870575 - 09/01/03 05:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

chunder said:
I try and view the past as neutrally as possible. I realize that I had good experiences, and that I also had bad ones, but all of them were equally important in forming the person I am today. My childhood happened. : ) Peace.

Yeah, thank god I had an upbringing that didn't instill a lot of ideas about how things work into my head, I was seriously left to figure it all out on my own (I don't know if this was intentional or not, knowing my dad it makes me start to wonder..). I respect everything I have ever experienced as creating who I am today, and I at least put up some effort to model my present life so that I won't regret what I did later..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #1871099 - 09/01/03 12:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

my childhood was pretty shitty. long blond hair, braces, and glaces. i was a fuckin laughingstock.

but without that, i wouldnt be able to connect to other people as well as i can now. pain, i believe, is something that allows all human beings to connect, through empathy. but we seem to ignore that connection sometimes. eh well.

yea, i think everybody, even the "popular" kids had traumatizing childhoods

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1872398 - 09/01/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was severely abused as a child.  My mom (who is on zoloft now :smile:) was very psychotic.  used to beat the living hell outta me then go to sleep, wake up and ask me why I had bruises on me.  a lot of the times I would have to stare in front of a blank screen (on the TV) while sitting on my hands for hours. I've had my teeth knocked out by an icepac, and have had my toes and fingers bitten, just to give you an idea. Ever looked in the eyes of a crazy person while their jumping on you? (I was about 5-6 years old). you can look in their eyes and see nothing.  Just a very red face and spit. Back then it sucked major balls.  I was scared of going home, which in turn I was very good in school since I didn't like home. looking back on it, I wouldn't trade it in for anything because I am who i am because of it. I may be a little anti-social but I'm cracking myself out of it now.
While it sucked to experience this I know that there are others who have had it way worse than  have and so it that respect I am grateful. I do have to say that while my first 12 years were in horror, the last 9 have been wonderful and will keep being that way. 

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: kaiowas]
    #1873018 - 09/02/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Negative. well for awhile.

At first I remember being a VERY energetic and positive kid, I loved everything, the extent of what I diliked was certain foods, there wasn't much else in my life that I was un-content with. but as life often does, it crushed my spirit, when I was about 10 or so things started going bad, my family was struggling with money/law problems, mostly due to drugs. (this is why I was straight edge until just recently) and I also had alot of teasing to deal with in school. So I had it better than alot of kids, but worse than many too.

but back to your question, enough whining.

it was overall, not so bad, I had a really rough patch for awhile that seems like it was longer than the good times I had. (basically everything from 6th grade to my Senior year sucked)

BUT it's changed me and I've grown stronger for most of it, alot I wouldn't take back, but I can't really look back on my childhood fondly, I just see it as the experiences of a naive kid.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1873542 - 09/02/03 05:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1873852 - 09/02/03 10:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

mom - 'buddhist' (programmed)
dad - atheist

outside life: pretty good and fun, moved alot, pretty normal?
homelife: psychologically, physically, emotionally abused/neglected
no structure, parents did not directly teach me anything, just pushed me toward academic achievement, which came easily (ambition went in reverse - very ambitous at age 8 to practically its non existence)

..until at age 14, began interrogating my best friend with a catholic upbringing about her beliefs. she would not answer any questions i asked, kept saying 'i dont want to talk about it'. but kept asking anyways without any feedback until i suddenly got a milli second glimpse of the 'truth' which shut me the fuck up. we simultaneously looked at each other in shock and she said 'told you not to talk about it'. wasnt prepared so it poisoned my mind and the major problems start at this point - felt like only the pursuit of truth mattered and everything else was trivial.

positive?: sure, after the fact. respectful and grateful for the good that came out of it. wouldnt trade it with anyone.

is there even american 'culture'? american society is fucked up ofcourse, but so are the societies for other 'power' nations - after all it is about power and control over the nations people.

--------------------
look buddy,,

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: TrippeeChik]
    #1873921 - 09/02/03 11:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

but kept asking anyways without any feedback until i suddenly got a milli second glimpse of the 'truth' which shut me the fuck up. we simultaneously looked at each other in shock and she said 'told you not to talk about it'.

You're saying you had a spontaneous religious experience?
Do you have any theory about why your friend didn't want to talk about this?

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1873982 - 09/02/03 12:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Compared to other nations we in the U.S. contain special traits and qualities that plainly deserve recognition,

Name one.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1873989 - 09/02/03 12:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"We're all pretty fucked-up.. I'm not convinced this is based merely on "poor parenting" "

Don't delude yourself into thinking that american children are more "fucked up" than anywhere else.

Reality, and the way we all think things should be will always be completely different things. Life is just a fucked up experience for everyone.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: Phluck]
    #1874364 - 09/02/03 02:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Don't delude yourself into thinking that american children are more "fucked up" than anywhere else."

ha well the american leaders sure are fucked-up, dude.... and they're teaching our children.

I understand what you mean, but we're like very "unnaturally" fucked-up - We're a digitally-remastered generation - Its not much different though in many other parts of the world (lots of Europe).. Children of the world; awaken!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Edited by Strumpling (09/02/03 02:11 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1874383 - 09/02/03 02:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Name one.

How about the fact that they go on more murderous rampages than any other country?  :nut:

BTW, has anyone seen Bowling For Columbine?  :thumbup: 

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1874389 - 09/02/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"ha well the american leaders sure are fucked-up, dude.... and they're teaching our children. "

Come on, are you seriously going to tell me that the american leaders are more fucked up than the rest? Do you know who the prime minister of Italy is? What about the leaders of Libya? China? Columbia? Venezuela? North Korea? Phillipines? I could keep going and going.

"I understand what you mean, but we're like very "unnaturally" fucked-up - We're a digitally-remastered generation"

Un-naturally fucked up? This is just a classic example of a fear of change. Because we have strange new technologies we must somehow be less pure and natural than others.

What exactly is wrong with our strange new technologies?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1874397 - 09/02/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1874424 - 09/02/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Claiming that technology, and the changes that humans are able to make to the planet are "unnatural" implies that humans are somehow superior to nature.

Human art and technology is no less natural and beautiful than anything else on the planet.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1874458 - 09/02/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1874495 - 09/02/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You're saying you had a spontaneous religious experience?
Do you have any theory about why your friend didn't want to talk about this?

yes. at that time i didnt really know what happened and was entirely creeped out. she couldve been a bit tired becuz we were about to go to sleep. really i think it couldve been anything. her family wasnt strictly religious so she miteve not been sure of what to say.

[edit] hmm not religious, more like 'tapped into the collective unconscious' experience? also i wasnt asking her about catholicism, as i wouldnt even know where to start then.

--------------------
look buddy,,

Edited by TrippeeChik (09/02/03 04:28 PM)

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1874615 - 09/02/03 03:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

We are not the most natural and earth-oriented people you will find in the world. It feels as though we as a nation are very much out of touch with conducting ourselves in a natural way, a way which relates to the Earth and to the Earth's Maker.

and we are certainly not the least. think japs.

People really don't realize how different it's gotta be to live without all of these appliances. They basically run the system of America.

so what is your solution? should we smash our computers now or later, when its overly unnatural?

--------------------
look buddy,,

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #1874696 - 09/02/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It feels as though we as a nation are very much out of touch with conducting ourselves in a natural way

Everything is natural. Everything we make, eat, and do stems from Nature. ; )

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: chunder]
    #1874779 - 09/02/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Let's see, how do I experience the world?

Well, first and foremost, I realize that we are all just people. Each and everyone of us starts out the same exact way. We all have different "hardware", some people are naturally only given so much operating power. Of course, that isn't the issue, the issue is what is running this machine.

I have found out that not one single person has the same software installed as anyone else (when I say software, I mean all the different programs of thoughts and catalogued experiences that make us who we are and make us act the way we do). I realize that it is basically possible for any person to take on anything. We are born completely free. Whatever thoughts we have shape who we are, so knowing this allows you to be who you want to be..

So, I experience the world from this perspective.... Everyone is just a person who has accumulated operating instructions, going about, purusing whatever meaning he makes for himself.

So, yeah, being The Observer is very revealing.. the only trouble is actually living your life knowing all of this, although it does open up a lot of power..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1875026 - 09/02/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Present in or produced by nature: a natural pearl.
Of, relating to, or concerning nature: a natural environment. "

Well, humans are certainly a part of nature, so wouldn't that make our creations a product of nature?

"Being in a state regarded as primitive, uncivilized, or unregenerate."

I assume this is the meaning you were referring to.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1875042 - 09/02/03 05:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"and we are certainly not the least. think japs."

Indeed. Something like an AIBO could never be taken seriously in Western society. The attitude towards technology is very different in Japan, the idea that technology is evil is, in reality, a very western idea.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1875241 - 09/02/03 06:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"That must have been a severely difficult time in your life to get past. I really don't know what to say after reading that.

Do you have anything to say regarding the ills of American culture?"

Man there are many things to say about this. Being treated the way I was made me live day to day.  I was a little kid so the thought of "this may be my last day" was always in the back of my head. Having that idea in the back of my head made me appreciate things a whole lot more. 

I think American society doesn't focus enough on enjoying the one's you're with and appreciating this thing called life.  I hear so many people here complain and I'm like, hey you have your life, health, and family, what's missing?

In the beginning of school, social pressures are ever present.  Most of the time these are the FIRST problems that american kids (middle class) encounter.  I know for sure that in other countries many of the kids first worries entail eating and shelter! hell the way I see it, I have a computer and if you have one of those, things really shouldn't be that bad.  If your problems are purely social (ie worrying about what clothes to wear, what you look like, etc) it takes away from the general appreciation of just being alive.  From there the ego is so good at hooking you into drama, and people just love this stuff.

then there's just going to school.  hmm, if you're going to school be glad because you're getting educated, and yet people reject it so swiftly when they are young (not to mention the system doesn't try to teach us what we really need to know).

then there's religion and that bring judgement in.  so much on organized religion involves judgement (judgement in this case will be strictly defined on deciding what and who is bad or good), and so we are taught to judge everything in those regards.  we then seperate and segregate eachother into specific groups.  this is then how we define ourselves and personality and even try to fake or act like they are somthing else.

there's a few for ya :smile: 

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1876757 - 09/03/03 05:41 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1876759 - 09/03/03 05:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
    #1876785 - 09/03/03 06:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

bah

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1877236 - 09/03/03 11:41 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

We really are living in an unnatural framework. We are losing our connection with the earth and the beauty of it. We are losing our social connection which may perhaps be far improved if society had less ego issues and more time to spend with one another doing simple activities.

do you have some sort of guilty conscience for living the way you do? stop preaching and bitching if youre not practicing it. jesus muthafucking christ.

--------------------
look buddy,,

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1877335 - 09/03/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"I think I'm right in saying that flourescent lights are a human attempt to change the natural results of sunlight and starlight/moonlight. I think I'm also right in saying we are dramatically decreasing the amount of time we would otherwise spend around food; it has occurred because we are microwaving many meals, or going thru fast food restaurants. What are the ramifications behind actions like this and others like it?"

It seems altogether likely that there are no negative ramifications. Can you name a few, perhaps?

"(And for the definition question you asked, the reply is 'um...nope.' "

I think this is the kind of thing where it would be good to explain your answer.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1878029 - 09/03/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1878071 - 09/03/03 03:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1878095 - 09/03/03 03:47 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1878117 - 09/03/03 03:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Living with farmland, slowing things down, making life a more beloved experience."

Is life really a "more beloved experience" without technology? I wouldn't say my own life is very fast paced, but it certainly includes all kinds of technology.

There's an assumption that a lot of people make that life was far better before we became civilized. The thing about this belief, is that it has no basis whatsoever. War, rape, famine, hate, and disease have been present since the dawn of mankind. These things are happening at no greater a rate now than they were thousands of years ago.

People smoke pot and take xanax because they can. If these things were available, (and in some cases they were), people would be using and abusing them in exactly the same way.

Almost everyone finds a scapegoat for all of the ills in the world. Muslims in the middle east blame America, and Americans blame terrorists, some people blame religion, some people blame money, some people blame blacks, or whites, or jews. You've chosen to blame technology.

The thing is, almost none of these scapegoats have been around forever, unlike human suffering.

Actually, one scapegoat has been around as long as humans, and that is human nature. We're programmed like any other animal, to be greedy, territorial, and inconsiderate.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1878135 - 09/03/03 03:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"We would have to do a scientific, controlled study to really say one way or the other, Phluck. We'd have to have to see if an experimental society could produce a better life experience based on not having electricity. In the meantime, all I can give is my two cents."

Actually, people lived for a hell of a long time without electricity, and bad shit still went down.

"Why don't you tell me the positive reactions of electricity without trying to be a corporation selling products."

Well, I can make it light when it's dark. My favourite is the internet, I can almost instantly access any information I need, I can communicate with anyone around the world. If you're a billionaire, or a bum, the information you put on the internet is equally accessible.

Also, I'm not trying to sell lightbulbs or computers.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1878141 - 09/03/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enter said:
I believe we should allow a large portion of America to still experience life as it had been before electricity: Living with farmland, slowing things down, making life a more beloved experience. Assuming there are others out there, and I know there are others and out there, that would want this too.

It is entirely possible to make life a more beloved experience in ANY situation we find ourselves in. Requiring farmland or a slow pace of living is not necessary, and relying on such to find the real meanings in life is being attached to that kind of living.

Quote:

We've got all this anxiety, all this bottled up emotion which is resulting in energy that isn't be used (properly, fully). Look at all the people on xanax and paxil - there's a lot of them out there and you can meet a few on these boards too. Look at all the people smoking pot on a daily basis just to keep mello and detached from the otherwise mad reality of American life.

It all depends on what a child learns as he is brought up, and the way he subsequently reacts to the world and different situtations they are put into. I don't have anxiety, and any that I do have is showing me what I need to fix to get into a more conscious mindset.

Myself, when I smoke, I do it to heighten self discovery and to wrap my head around experiences and feel them for what they are. No hiding from the big bad world here.. I could be a head of a sucessful corporation in New York and not have any emotional or consciousness problems..

It is all about what you experience and the way you react to it. What you think in your head and what you really FEEL. Not everyone is pushed into an abyss of depression everytime someone dies or someone makes fun of them or they are not accepted.. some of us are above being addicted to security issues.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1878142 - 09/03/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"One other thing TripeeChik, please don't blaspheme again. It's very impolite to me and first and foremost you're literally trying to tell God that He's worthless by blaspheming."

Don't ever speak negatively of technology again, it offends me, and it offends the good people at Intel corp.

If I think your god is worthless, and I do, then I have every right to say so.

--------------------

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1878148 - 09/03/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

so youre the the one who turned off the lites on the east coast eh. as much as people didnt up and loot doesnt mean that turning off power will help anything. people are fucked up. thats just unrealistic idealism.

personally i enjoy technology. im sure you do too. the solution isnt getting rid of it, moreso just raising consciousness. rite.

[skipping the christianity issue]

my jesus doesnt think its blaspheme, becuz he understands that me calling him muthafucker is purely outta love.

--------------------
look buddy,,

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1878157 - 09/03/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Almost everyone finds a scapegoat for all of the ills in the world. Muslims in the middle east blame America, and Americans blame terrorists, some people blame religion, some people blame money, some people blame blacks, or whites, or jews. You've chosen to blame technology.

The thing is, almost none of these scapegoats have been around forever, unlike human suffering.

Actually, one scapegoat has been around as long as humans, and that is human nature. We're programmed like any other animal, to be greedy, territorial, and inconsiderate.

The only thing that is responsible for anything you experience is yourself. ONLY. You make of the world what you want. You react how you want to react. Complete free will here. Nobody makes anyone do anything.

And the programming to be greedy, territorial, and inconsiderate is USELESS and only blinds us from what is really going on. Realizing this is the first step towards blocking this programming off and rendering it useless.. it no longer serves no purpose as none of us are living in the jungle anymore, fighting for our survival. And even if we were, living in a more tuned-in center would be much more effective towards staying alive..

I'd hate to be chasing a rabbit, which appears to be the only source of food, and be so blind to anything else to notice the unlimited buffet bar that I am running past, and of course the cliff ahead that I will fall off of because I wasn't paying attention.. See what I mean?
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1878171 - 09/03/03 04:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have always found that relying on a pre-made belief system only subjects my free will to that organization, effectively tying me down to any shortcoming or intentional control that comes with.

My beliefs and my thoughts are my own, and that way I only have myself to blame, instead of the Devil, or terrorists, or anything else..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1878198 - 09/03/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"The only thing that is responsible for anything you experience is yourself"

Your implying that anyone that has any input into your life especially as a child doesnt influence you in some way?
Things happen you have to experience you have no choice for whatever reason, how are you responsible for say seeing your father getting murdered in front of your eyes?
I dont mean to be picky but thats a bit of a silly thing to say

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: Oook]
    #1878214 - 09/03/03 04:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Oook said:
"The only thing that is responsible for anything you experience is yourself"

Your implying that anyone that has any input into your life especially as a child doesnt influence you in some way?
Things happen you have to experience you have no choice for whatever reason, how are you responsible for say seeing your father getting murdered in front of your eyes?
I dont mean to be picky but thats a bit of a silly thing to say

Well, if you say, had your eyes closed, you wouldn't see it, now would you?

It isn't a silly thing to say, it is the truth, you are just misunderstanding it. Every thought you have is at your own will. Therefore, you are deeply responsible for every thought you have. See how it works? You aren't responsible for the actual input that depicts your father's death, but you ARE responsible for any thoughts related, which is what really makes the experience to yourself. Therefore, you are responsible, no?
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1879649 - 09/03/03 11:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1879836 - 09/04/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

im seriously not trying to attack you. i do have respect for your personal beliefs, but do you think you have respect for mine? (sidenote: the symbolism of jesus does personally mean something to me)

i wouldnt mind sitting down one on one and discussing christianity with you, but you have to admit you are coming across a bit dogmatic. also i have sat down with a few pastors to discuss their beliefs and answers came in the form of 'becuz it says so in the bible'. a christian friend has even told me 'if you dont accept christ, you will go to hell... but a rapist/pedophile can save himself by accepting christ before he dies, even if it is a second before.'

--------------------
look buddy,,

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1882494 - 09/04/03 07:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1882757 - 09/04/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

dont you think if you vehemently think your belief is the rite and only way, its disrespectful in theory? you are basically implying that i am going to (your) hell. id like to think if you are essentially a good person, it wouldnt matter what your beliefs are.

also, i would like to know why you personally think the christian god is the rite way. how did you come to this conclusion?

--------------------
look buddy,,

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1883300 - 09/04/03 10:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I apologize if I've genuinely offended you, but any attempt to control what someone else says pisses me off. Don't take blasphemy personally.

People have powerful experiences all the time. Moments when things become "clear" or they have a powerful entity speak to them, and it injects joy/knowledge/fear/faith into their hearts. I've had moments like these, and with them comes the desire to believe that what you experienced was something cosmic and special. To some it's Jesus's love, to others it's nirvana.

Afterwards, I thought "Does my mind have the capacity to completely fabricate an experience like this?". Well, after my experiences with psychedelics drugs, I'd have to say definately yes.

I think your PERSONAL experience with god was nothing more than a hallucination.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1883428 - 09/04/03 11:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1883464 - 09/04/03 11:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1883489 - 09/04/03 11:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #1883516 - 09/04/03 11:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

do you believe "God" is transcendent or immanent?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

#1883599 - 09/04/03 11:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not sure if you've ever had an experience in life that what basically ineffable (you were unable to really talk about it). You can kind of talk about it but it's not making any sense to anyone else. That's the type of testimony that I have. I believe in Jesus Christ based on the Holy Spirit pointing my attention to Him. I believe in Jesus Christ because His Holy Spirit has literally revealed Himself to me.

I assume you were familiar with the names "Jesus Christ" and "Holy Spirit" before this event, and that you immediately associated what you experienced with these names. It wasn't so that you found the connection later, nor that the names were revealed to you for the first time during the experience. Is that correct?

In that case your prior exposure to Christian symbols influenced your associations. Supposing you had grown up without this exposure, how do you think that would have affected such an ineffable experience? Especially in light of your answering "Yes" to GazzBut's question in another thread:

anyone following any of the other religous systems in the world have basically got it wrong?

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1883636 - 09/05/03 12:13 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #1883675 - 09/05/03 12:31 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i think his "statements" were questiaons. here. were you familiar with the names "Jesus Christ" and "Holy Spirit" before this event? did you immediately associate what you experienced with these names? did you find the connection later, or were the names revealed to you for the first time during the experience? was your prior exposure to Christian symbols influenced your associations? Supposing you had grown up without this exposure, how do you think that would have affected such an ineffable experience?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

#1883752 - 09/05/03 01:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yet can you put all of your certainty in this "excuse" of yours?

I don't know what "excuse" you are talking about. I am only trying to find out what the relation is between your ineffable experience and your belief that all religions except yours are wrong.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1883756 - 09/05/03 01:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There's an idea from this book I'm reading called Affluenza, goes something like this:

People are spending more and more time every year purchasing, creating, replacing, and maintaining "STUFF" instead of dealing with other people and struggling to live a full life. Weren't the machines supposed to make life easier?

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (09/05/03 01:11 AM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1883963 - 09/05/03 02:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I can say without a doubt that I have powerful experiences all the time, experiences that some could easily mistake for direct proof of God, or other ideas, but afterwards, I wonder if it was really proof, or the feeling that I knew the ultimate truth. When I thought about it, I realized that other people, people like you, were having equally wild experiences directly contradicting my own.

I just don't understand how you think that your own experiences are more accurate than the experiences of others.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: CleverName]
    #1884732 - 09/05/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1884741 - 09/05/03 10:15 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1884766 - 09/05/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1885130 - 09/05/03 11:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"If I base my theology on the opinions of everyone else around me, I am not being true to MY OWN experiences, if indeed I am having any type of relatively spiritually oriented experience. "

Why not investigate the experiences of others? I'm not saying to disregard your own experiences, just to interpret them using data from the outside world, and not just believing what you want to believe.

How could your own experiences possibly be the most accurate when others are having equally powerful experiences? They've weighed out their options as well, and come to different conclusions. Is it that the Christians are the most intelligent of philosophers?

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1885267 - 09/05/03 12:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1885290 - 09/05/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That's just the thing Enter, I don't subscribe to beliefs.

Believing in one thing is closing your mind to the other possibilities. I don't doubt that you are fully aware of other beliefs, I never said I did.

I want to know what makes you think that your experiences are more accurate than the experiences of others. Since you've done a lot of research, surely you're aware that others are having experiences just as powerful as yours, so why is it that you believe your experiences accurately portray the nature of the universe, while those of others do not?

I've asked this question three times now, and each time you've answered a completely different one.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1885317 - 09/05/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"You have not yet even stated any beliefs where Jesus Christ is concerned with the exception of condescending remarks."

I don't have any solid beliefs about Jesus Christ. I have some theories, but it would be foolish to claim they were accurate without being able to travel back in time and check them out.

I have a friend named Tom. He believes in Kaballah, and he spends much of his time wandering around chatting with people about it. He hitchhikes around Canada, and meets people. He practices reiki as well. He believes he is able to heal people with his mind. He's one of the kindest, most generous, and most compassionate people I've ever met.

I suspect Jesus was not unlike my friend Tom. Jesus gained enough followers, John was good at marketing, and preserving his name, and the whole thing took off. Immaculate conception and resurrection really make for a great story, but I have my doubts that's what happened.

I'm sure this isn't exactly what happened, for all I know there never was anyone named Jesus, hell, maybe he's even our Lord and savior. But how can anyone really know?

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1885329 - 09/05/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1885340 - 09/05/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1885365 - 09/05/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've yet to see how faith is any different from lying to oneself.

Experience is indeed something to take into consideration, but I think that experience is the least accurate source of information as the mind tends to fabricate experiences. Emotions and feelings may be nothing more than a chance mix of memories and brain chemistry. Eat too many chilis, meet the girl of your dreams, and attend a church service and then you mind has enough bizarreness going on in it that you just might find Jesus, but if you'd gone to a Rainbow gathering instead of the church service, you might find the great spirit. I think it's a little bit dangerous to trust the strange things our brains tell us.

--------------------

Edited by Phluck (09/05/03 01:10 PM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1885382 - 09/05/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1885403 - 09/05/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm instinctively trusting my brain. I don't even think I really have an option, I had been trusting my brain like this for years before I even considered that perhaps everything it gave me was accurate.

Sure, with every step I take, there's a risk I'm going to fall through the floor, but based on scientific observation, I'm willing to take those risks. But intellectually, I realize it's quite possible that my entire universe is an illusion.

My brain is really just responding to what satisfies its different cravings.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1885645 - 09/05/03 02:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Wouldn't you agree that machines can be good, but to be dependent on them is to have a very evident weakness?"

well I don't think this is really the main problem, although I agree with you on this..

We're already ALL dependant on at least one machine, which is our body! What a pain in the ass it is maintaining this piece of crap :-P

And now we have cars and computers and all this other "stuff" to take care of and clean and make sure its working properly and in its correct spot and make sure its safe and shiny and so on and so on..

I think machines would be helping us much more if we hadn't gotten so into MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

soon we'll need machines just to keep track of our other machines and all of our "stuff." Imagine how much THEY'LL cost..

--------------------

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1885788 - 09/05/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure if you've ever had an experience in life that what basically ineffable (you were unable to really talk about it). You can kind of talk about it but it's not making any sense to anyone else. That's the type of testimony that I have. I believe in Jesus Christ based on the Holy Spirit pointing my attention to Him. I believe in Jesus Christ because His Holy Spirit has literally revealed Himself to me.

You see my dilemna??? Look at the language I have to use. It probably sound like one of those old stories that seem totally fictional and out of touch with reality. Yet that is more or less the story behind my belief (summarized so that I didn't write a book).

i have grown up basically agnostic, always questioning and skeptical of everything. when i was at the lowest point in my life so far and lost faith in everything, jesus appeared to me in the form of a hallucination (had been smoking weed). eventho it was unlike any picture i recall seeing of him and was basically around christmas, i took it for what it was - it calmed me and gave me faith again. i could even question that maybe my brain was trying to cope, but it still does not take away my thankfulness of the situatuion and also does not necessarily make me turn to jesus.

when i was at the highest point of my life so far (completely sober), i did fully experience truth, god, kundalini rising, 3rd eye opening, nirvana, etc... i empathize with you, no language can safely describe my experience. but i can very well relate to anyone who has experience this kind of enlightenment, using their language. i am confident that there is a description for it in most set of beliefs. the way that i was brought up, i have always had less knowledge than experiences. the more i looked into things, i did get a bit discouraged - i wanted to write the experience with my own personal words but that would prolly mean i need to invent a new language. 'does this mean i need to attach myself to some established set of beliefs (which is basically someone elses version), in order for it to be credible?' i also think that doing that will limit me. there are so many labels, why pick one? one very important thing i took from that experience was to embrace everything.

What do you believe in regard to the Creator of All Things? Or what don't you believe?

i do believe we come from the One, separated, to learn lessons in order to return back to the One. i believe in reincarnation and karma, just becuz it makes sense and makes my life able to flow. but as far as specifics and how did it all start, i can only speculate. i dont want to know the answers, i believe the fun is in the chase.

--------------------
look buddy,,

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1886014 - 09/05/03 04:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1888497 - 09/06/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i actually made a post about it in OTD when it happened (I saw Jesus). well its not long and detailed but there seems to be something about jesus on the back of pick up trucks. haha. this was a post from a month prior to that: something that made you smile today.

basically thats what happened. the truck had a single vertical wooden post and jesus looked very withered compared to pics i have seen.

--------------------
look buddy,,

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1888735 - 09/06/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds