Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
How are America's Children Experiencing the World?
    #1868036 - 08/31/03 12:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1868102 - 08/31/03 01:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Um... it kind of sucked? It was really messed up? It was dis tasteful in many ways. I lived in an apartment for a long time... and i got to know a lot of different kinds of people... families.... different home lifes and what not. 7 years of twisted life. A divorce to bring me there, and a death to bring me away. I had about the 3 most weird/messsed up experiences to my life as a child. It was just me, my mom, and my brother. My mom worked while my brother watched me during the days. I barely heard or saw my father, when i did, he would take us to his gf's house in Ft. Worth or wherever he wanted to take us. I never knew if he was drunk or sober (he was an alcoholic). A couple years before his death, he got married to one of his girl friends (she was from germany), and he never told me or my brother. My mom worked her ass off, while my dad just wasted away, not thinking about his own family. Besides that, when he died, my bastard mother fucker of an uncle took money that was set aside by my dad for me and my brother to go to college. His "wife" took the rest of our belongings that me and my brother had at my dads. I remember after my mom had gotten divorced, we lived off food stamps for a while. I went to day care while my mom worked and went to school. My brother was very angry as a teenager and growing up, sometimes taking it out on me... But i still looked up to him. I was lost in the middle of it all, and not to mention the "exposure to sex at too young an age", "dis affection", i had these swarming issues for the first 10 years of my life. School was still on the other side, which why i think it was always such hell to try and deal with people at school or even worry about it. As a result i barely listened, in 3rd grade i got into a lot of fights... and lol... get this my principal called my mom and said "I think your son is in a gang."  :lol: .

So i got a pretty shitty of view of life at first... but since its been an issue of rising above what i have been raised to be and believe. You know what they say about kids whos fathers have died and or gone, and are raised by a single mom house hold? Its almost 100% failure... So if you want to believe statistics, you can be a drug addict or a loser or gamble your life with success. So thats what i see about society wanting to believe about their own suffering. Thats what ive come to see about the complete lack of humans to do anything about the world around them. I see broken families cause people who dont give a shit about what they do to other people, cause they think their values become before other people. But yet they continue to involve other people through their decisions, and yet they still say "its not my fault".

Thats my experience, and thats my why. I see why my friends sing "suburban life aint what it seems"... ooo .... ooo cause its not.

--------------------
What?

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1868128 - 08/31/03 01:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Negative. Christianity/Catholicism taught me that only people who believe in Jesus are worthy of going to heaven, and all others are going to hell. On top of that, it imprints the mentality that life/the earth isn't going to have an optimistic future since God will one day destroy it because of the amount of people who will one day "turn their back on God". Really sucks the enjoyment out of life, and you're never really taught to appreciate it.

Now, that's sort of the Christian side of America. I also was surrounded by, as I think almost any culture does, a fear of other ways of life. Its basic sociology, in that in order to relieve anxiety about other ways of life, people, especially children would make fun of and demean anything that is foreign to their experience. People feel the need to know they are living "the right way to live", and I think when people are confronted with other societies that do things so differently, it's a threat to that.

But on the other hand, I had the opportunity to go to a progressive high school, which preached and practiced tolerance of everyone. It really undid a lot of the negative mentalities I was raised with. So on the whole, America encompasses a huge range of people, and what really determines a negative or positive connection to other cultures is in what pocket you're raised in.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1869290 - 08/31/03 10:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was just wondering what the majority of American children/young adults would say about their up-bringing and the vibe that that they feel from the entire Earth's population.

the majority aren't aware that a world exists outside America.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1869575 - 08/31/03 11:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I try and view the past as neutrally as possible. I realize that I had good experiences, and that I also had bad ones, but all of them were equally important in forming the person I am today. My childhood happened. : ) Peace.

--------------------

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1870109 - 09/01/03 03:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the majority aren't aware that a world exists outside America.

so true.

It's pretty funny how American kids are led to believe that everyone loves and looks up to America, when really most of the world despises it. I liked growing up here though. I'm looking forward to getting out sometime in the near future, but I'm glad that I have grown up around Americans. If I hadn't, I think it would be absolutely impossible to understand them.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1870315 - 09/01/03 04:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"How are America's Children Experiencing the World?"

We're all pretty fucked-up.. I'm not convinced this is based merely on "poor parenting"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1870541 - 09/01/03 07:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: chunder]
    #1870575 - 09/01/03 07:49 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

chunder said:
I try and view the past as neutrally as possible. I realize that I had good experiences, and that I also had bad ones, but all of them were equally important in forming the person I am today. My childhood happened. : ) Peace.

Yeah, thank god I had an upbringing that didn't instill a lot of ideas about how things work into my head, I was seriously left to figure it all out on my own (I don't know if this was intentional or not, knowing my dad it makes me start to wonder..). I respect everything I have ever experienced as creating who I am today, and I at least put up some effort to model my present life so that I won't regret what I did later..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #1871099 - 09/01/03 02:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

my childhood was pretty shitty. long blond hair, braces, and glaces. i was a fuckin laughingstock.

but without that, i wouldnt be able to connect to other people as well as i can now. pain, i believe, is something that allows all human beings to connect, through empathy. but we seem to ignore that connection sometimes. eh well.

yea, i think everybody, even the "popular" kids had traumatizing childhoods

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1872398 - 09/01/03 10:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was severely abused as a child.  My mom (who is on zoloft now :smile:) was very psychotic.  used to beat the living hell outta me then go to sleep, wake up and ask me why I had bruises on me.  a lot of the times I would have to stare in front of a blank screen (on the TV) while sitting on my hands for hours. I've had my teeth knocked out by an icepac, and have had my toes and fingers bitten, just to give you an idea. Ever looked in the eyes of a crazy person while their jumping on you? (I was about 5-6 years old). you can look in their eyes and see nothing.  Just a very red face and spit. Back then it sucked major balls.  I was scared of going home, which in turn I was very good in school since I didn't like home. looking back on it, I wouldn't trade it in for anything because I am who i am because of it. I may be a little anti-social but I'm cracking myself out of it now.
While it sucked to experience this I know that there are others who have had it way worse than  have and so it that respect I am grateful. I do have to say that while my first 12 years were in horror, the last 9 have been wonderful and will keep being that way. 

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: kaiowas]
    #1873018 - 09/02/03 02:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Negative. well for awhile.

At first I remember being a VERY energetic and positive kid, I loved everything, the extent of what I diliked was certain foods, there wasn't much else in my life that I was un-content with. but as life often does, it crushed my spirit, when I was about 10 or so things started going bad, my family was struggling with money/law problems, mostly due to drugs. (this is why I was straight edge until just recently) and I also had alot of teasing to deal with in school. So I had it better than alot of kids, but worse than many too.

but back to your question, enough whining.

it was overall, not so bad, I had a really rough patch for awhile that seems like it was longer than the good times I had. (basically everything from 6th grade to my Senior year sucked)

BUT it's changed me and I've grown stronger for most of it, alot I wouldn't take back, but I can't really look back on my childhood fondly, I just see it as the experiences of a naive kid.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: kaiowas]
    #1873542 - 09/02/03 07:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleTrippeeChik
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1873852 - 09/02/03 12:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

mom - 'buddhist' (programmed)
dad - atheist

outside life: pretty good and fun, moved alot, pretty normal?
homelife: psychologically, physically, emotionally abused/neglected
no structure, parents did not directly teach me anything, just pushed me toward academic achievement, which came easily (ambition went in reverse - very ambitous at age 8 to practically its non existence)

..until at age 14, began interrogating my best friend with a catholic upbringing about her beliefs. she would not answer any questions i asked, kept saying 'i dont want to talk about it'. but kept asking anyways without any feedback until i suddenly got a milli second glimpse of the 'truth' which shut me the fuck up. we simultaneously looked at each other in shock and she said 'told you not to talk about it'. wasnt prepared so it poisoned my mind and the major problems start at this point - felt like only the pursuit of truth mattered and everything else was trivial.

positive?: sure, after the fact. respectful and grateful for the good that came out of it. wouldnt trade it with anyone.

is there even american 'culture'? american society is fucked up ofcourse, but so are the societies for other 'power' nations - after all it is about power and control over the nations people.

--------------------
look buddy,,

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: TrippeeChik]
    #1873921 - 09/02/03 01:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

but kept asking anyways without any feedback until i suddenly got a milli second glimpse of the 'truth' which shut me the fuck up. we simultaneously looked at each other in shock and she said 'told you not to talk about it'.

You're saying you had a spontaneous religious experience?
Do you have any theory about why your friend didn't want to talk about this?

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1873982 - 09/02/03 02:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Compared to other nations we in the U.S. contain special traits and qualities that plainly deserve recognition,

Name one.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1873989 - 09/02/03 02:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"We're all pretty fucked-up.. I'm not convinced this is based merely on "poor parenting" "

Don't delude yourself into thinking that american children are more "fucked up" than anywhere else.

Reality, and the way we all think things should be will always be completely different things. Life is just a fucked up experience for everyone.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: Phluck]
    #1874364 - 09/02/03 04:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"Don't delude yourself into thinking that american children are more "fucked up" than anywhere else."

ha well the american leaders sure are fucked-up, dude.... and they're teaching our children.

I understand what you mean, but we're like very "unnaturally" fucked-up - We're a digitally-remastered generation - Its not much different though in many other parts of the world (lots of Europe).. Children of the world; awaken!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (09/02/03 04:11 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: How are America's Children Experiencing the World? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1874383 - 09/02/03 04:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Name one.

How about the fact that they go on more murderous rampages than any other country?  :nut:

BTW, has anyone seen Bowling For Columbine?  :thumbup: 

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1874389 - 09/02/03 04:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"ha well the american leaders sure are fucked-up, dude.... and they're teaching our children. "

Come on, are you seriously going to tell me that the american leaders are more fucked up than the rest? Do you know who the prime minister of Italy is? What about the leaders of Libya? China? Columbia? Venezuela? North Korea? Phillipines? I could keep going and going.

"I understand what you mean, but we're like very "unnaturally" fucked-up - We're a digitally-remastered generation"

Un-naturally fucked up? This is just a classic example of a fear of change. Because we have strange new technologies we must somehow be less pure and natural than others.

What exactly is wrong with our strange new technologies?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology