Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Being offended
    #3483442 - 12/11/04 10:09 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If someone can possibly be offended by the writing of another when that writing contains no insults, taunts, or filthy language, then that person has an agenda. To condemn someone for their philosophical beliefs is a very bad thing that is driven by ego, hate, and agenda. When one strays into this territory one flirts with censorship and the suppression of ideas.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDeviate
Re: Being offended [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3484724 - 12/12/04 02:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i agree. people should treat each other as concsiousness alone.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3484740 - 12/12/04 02:08 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i agree. speak your mind, kep it respectfull.

im curious where this came from. some posts here? bad day?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#3484744 - 12/12/04 02:09 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Never thought of it that way. Very isightful post.  :thumbup:

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3484803 - 12/12/04 02:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
If someone can possibly be offended by the writing of another when that writing contains no insults, taunts, or filthy language, then that person has an agenda. To condemn someone for their philosophical beliefs is a very bad thing that is driven by ego, hate, and agenda. When one strays into this territory one flirts with censorship and the suppression of ideas.

what?!? how can you say that?

.......that shit offends me!

:grin:

but no, its not so much that they are driven by ego, hate, and agenda....than it is to just the basic fact that they are arrogant, close minded and naive infant souls. easily offended people are part of the group of people (at least, the way i group people...heh) that believe there is only one true set of beliefs. they are right, and you are wrong. period. end of story. there is no room for debate, because they have all the "proof" they need. i think their only "agenda", weather they realize it or not (most dont) is to protect their own beliefs by falsifying yours. kinda like the bully on the playground. in the most extreme cases this type of attitude can bring out the "ego, hate, and agenda" but i dont think it is their motive. its just that what you have said has attacked the beliefs they hold so strongly too, and that makes them raise their defenses.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Loc: New Earth
Re: Being offended [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3484975 - 12/12/04 03:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I know what you mean. Like if you say you believe in God or something they come back first like, "You fucking Christians, all you do is bitch and condemn" yet, I don't even mess with anyone and I believe in God. Who's that person to accuse me of that? An arrogant asshole is who.

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #3486490 - 12/12/04 04:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

There is so much good in the worst of us,
and so much bad in the best of us,
that it hardly becomes any of us
to talk about the rest of us.

Edward Willis Hoch

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Being offended [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3486501 - 12/12/04 04:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

damn thats a awsome peom thingy!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinefalcon
In the green

#3486573 - 12/12/04 04:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Agenda is a word that contains so many possible
meanings.

Are you without an agenda?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Being offended [Re: kadakuda]
    #3487179 - 12/12/04 07:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

im curious where this came from. some posts here? bad day?

I dunno about Hue, but I've been called a dolt and an asshole here in the last few days when someone became frustrated at their inability to refute my argument. I've also been demeaned, psychoanalyzed, and even ignored, none of which addressed the topic at hand.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Being offended [Re: Diploid]
    #3487381 - 12/12/04 08:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If someone calls me a clueless asshole it does not bother me, because that is just someone else's interpretation of the the dream...thats all it is. It lets me know that what I wrote meant something that required thought from that person. They did not have to like what I wrote...that is the beauty of free speech...it encourages diversity in thought. Many ideas that have in the past offended me caused to to think about why I was offended and revise my opinion. I will admit, though, in real life I do not surround myself with people you have to walk on eggshells around because, while I am not malevolent, I AM an insensitive clod in many respects. The people I form lasting relationships with know how to tell me to shut up, but don't take my insensitivity personal.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3487535 - 12/12/04 08:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I often think that frustrations that develop here are simply due to communication misunderstandings.

I like gomps advice for us to talk with each other and not at each other. If you move in to question or debate a point with someone, what is the point or shall I say, how will you benefit if you yourself do not go into it with an intention of gaining some understanding and broadening your own horizons? Doesn't mean you have to agree with the other, but showing them you are making an attempt to understand them can earn some more productive miles.

If one comes here just to talk AT people, they will never learn a thing about themselves or grow.

If you come here to understand yourself and others better, you'll definitely get more good out of your time spent here.

If you are feeling really "serious" it is more easy to feel sensitive and offended because you are in a place of "self or topic importance" at the moment. Seriousness equals important when you think about it. That's something else to watch for, taking yourself and this board too seriously.

Just me fiddytree cents. :heart: :crazy2:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Being offended [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3487780 - 12/12/04 09:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If you move in to question or debate a point with someone, what is the point or shall I say, how will you benefit if you yourself do not go into it with an intention of gaining some understanding and broadening your own horizons?

But this is not how philosophical debate works. Philosophical debate should be intense because it's the only way to get at the truth without a bunch of irrelevant sugar-coating. This is the best way to learn, gain understanding, and broaden horizons.

When someone tries in vein to defend their position against a superior argument, they should accept that defeat and reconsider their beliefs rather than complain that the debate isn't fair because the other guy is mean.

If someone is looking for a more relaxed, easygoing debate, then S&P is not the place for them; perhaps The Pub is a better place for them?

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Being offended [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3487978 - 12/12/04 10:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I tend to share many of Diploid's views about debate, but I also think that one should not take anything some guy on the internet tells you too seriously. Many of us have reasons for believing the things we do that cannot be debated...they fall somewhere outside the realm of human understanding leaving us with no right or wrong answer. I personally have had experiences with shamanism that I will not debate because I KNOW when I am confronted with logic I cannot defend myself. I know it may be an illogical point to try and defend so I don't try. That does not remove the validity of the experience, though. I can, of course, understand why another would declare these types of ideas invalid and not agree with them. Unfortunately unless restrictive rules are put in place this will never be an easygoing forum. There are a lot of males here and by our very nature males seem to have something to prove and they are competitive. I, myself, gave up trying to suppress that because my true nature shines through regardless...I just try to hope that other people see their own shortcomings and make some small allowance for mine...I am, after all, a petty human.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (12/13/04 01:21 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology