Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 740 | 741 | 742 | 743 | 744 | 745 | 746 | 747 | 748 | 749 | 750 | 751 | 752 | 753 | 754 | 755 | 756 | 757 | 758 | 759 | 760 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Guerrilla]
    #27817955 -

Guerrilla said:
BlueAndOrange said:
For the parafilm users, what are you doing to cut it? Are the dispensers any good? They seem super expensive and have no reviews, or the cheap ones have terrible reviews. I love parafilm, but I’d love it more if it were easier to cut a 1”x4” piece off the roll.





This is the best way to cut your parafilm in order to avoid microtears. Other lengths/widths are highly prone to microtears in your film and thus a vector for contamination.
4 squares long and half a square wide allows you to wrap around the plate 3/4 times.

And this paper cutter is so convenient because I can cut hundreds of pieces of parafilm in such a short amount of time just by stacking sheets and cutting through multiple at once.



Paper gutter ordered. This is clearly the way. Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: BlueAndOrange] * 1
    #27818010 -

BlueAndOrange said:
Paper gutter ordered. This is clearly the way. Thanks!



OK, I did a test. Tried cutting roll with paper gutter cutter. Need to do it down near the hinge. If near the handle, will break or bend something.

I hacked away at the roll while slowly spinning it. Still wasn't enough to cut it. Then used serrated bread knife and sawed away where I'd sliced at it with the paper cutter. That finally got through.

I tried it with just the knife. Didn't work. For me, the paper cutter, then the knife, worked. Be careful with the knife, would be easy to slip and cut yourself.

Then I cleaned up the cut with scissors on one side.

Had trouble finding the start of the roll. Cut very lightly across it with scalpel. Still cut 2 or 3 layers. Then used the scalpel to find the edge. Ready to wrap plates.

Seems like a lot of work, but mostly was just figuring it out. Next time will be easier and quicker.


EDIT: I now see you are talking about Parafilm. Yes, paper cutter should be fine for strips of that. I use scissors, double it over and cut two pieces at once, then cut down the middle to make enough for 4 plates. But paper cutter might work better.

Parafilm can be inconsistent. Some times it's been in a hot warehouse and breaks easy. I'm basing this on reviews I've read.

But I haven't had that problem. The trick is to learn to stretch it. It has to be stretched to work and cling. Stretch it as you wrap it around. I also wrap 1 revolution of micropore tape on it to make sure it won't come up or fall off.

Edited by nektar61 (06/13/22 06:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #27818061 -

Oat cook water agar recipe anyone? Thanks


--------------------
BEWARE OF PICK POCKETS AND LOOSE WOMEN!!
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke throughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!"
Hunter S. Thompson
"I want to die peacefully like my grandfather in his sleep, not yelling and screaming like his passengers." Bob Monkhouse
" Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken!" Tyler Durden
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson
The noob forum
Crack Plates
Fastfreds media cookbook 60 agar/lc recipes
Water tub fruiting chamber Top layer/Pseudo casing Complete agar resource guide
Trusted teks and linksSEED "PETRI" TEK Vent ur PC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sandman420]
    #27818534 -

How do you stretch them? I would have switched to cling wrap earlier if I had a tool that did not gum up the blade like 3 years ago.

I use parafilm exclusively but cultures using cling wrap don't seem to have the drying issue parafilm has.

Edited by CocaineBuffet (06/13/22 09:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: CocaineBuffet] * 2
    #27818653 -

I use this ratchet lopper to cut cling wrap rolls.



Just put a piece of corrugated cardboard between the roll and the toothed/grabbing side of the cutter to prevent damage to the cling film.
Best cutting tool I've used so far. The cardboard tube gets a bit squeezed but the film is coming off the roll clean and easy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Baba Yaga]
    #27818880 -

Wild_aussie man I would do brf agar that shit rocks I hate using oat water agar
But
if u have to then take about 230-250 ml of oat water and dilute 50% then add your  9grams agar

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Culliganman360]
    #27818941 -

If you just take the parafilm off the paper and stretch it out BEFORE wrapping it will never tear.

Just grab both ends and pull it to stretch it. Simple as.


--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sandman420] * 1
    #27819119 -

My first plate pins. Ape-R. Gonna move a couple to new plates this evening.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Some other guy]
    #27819122 -

Some other guy said:
My first plate pins. Ape-R. Gonna move a couple to new plates this evening.





Nice plins!

Cut them off with scalpel, so you don't take any non-clone mycelium with it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27819161 -

nektar61 said:
Some other guy said:
My first plate pins. Ape-R. Gonna move a couple to new plates this evening.





Nice plins!

Cut them off with scalpel, so you don't take any non-clone mycelium with it.



I'm glad you said something, I was just going to pluck them with a sterile set of forceps.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Some other guy]
    #27819173 -

Some other guy said:
nektar61 said:
Some other guy said:
My first plate pins. Ape-R. Gonna move a couple to new plates this evening.





Nice plins!

Cut them off with scalpel, so you don't take any non-clone mycelium with it.



I'm glad you said something, I was just going to pluck them with a sterile set of forceps.




And harvest the ones you're going to harvest before any of them open and drop spores.  That could go all over all of them and make it hard to be sure you've got a clone without spores.

All I grow now all the time is a culture from an x7x plin clone. I lucked out. First one I did was very strong and easy to grow.

Your mileage may vary, but that's what you're hoping for when you clone plins.

After a year it finally threw out a large mutant and I'm working on stabilizing it. First batch is in my avatar. Before that they were all little brown mushrooms. Those are 5 inches tall and 3 inches cap diameter.

Edited by nektar61 (06/14/22 11:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61]
    #27819221 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: BleuMojeaux]
    #27819266 -

BleuMojeaux said:




That looks very cool.

Might be harder to take a clone from that without getting some spores. I'd go from inside the stipe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27819278 -

nektar61 said:
BleuMojeaux said:




That looks very cool.

Might be harder to take a clone from that without getting some spores. I'd go from inside the stipe.



Before you clone it, swab those spores with a sterile qtip and you have the elusive clean spores.


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Edited by LadysKnight (06/14/22 01:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LadysKnight]
    #27819312 -

LadysKnight said:
nektar61 said:
BleuMojeaux said:




That looks very cool.

Might be harder to take a clone from that without getting some spores. I'd go from inside the stipe.



Before you clone it, swab those spores with a sterile qtip and you have the elusive clean spores.




I like it. But I'd do it after you clone it, so you don't spread spores on the clone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27819319 -

nektar61 said:
LadysKnight said:
That looks very cool.

Might be harder to take a clone from that without getting some spores. I'd go from inside the stipe.



Before you clone it, swab those spores with a sterile qtip and you have the elusive clean spores.




I like it. But I'd do it after you clone it, so you don't spread spores on the clone.



Very good info.  I was also wondering about the spores.  As soon as Im able, i'm planning on swabbing those spores directly to another plate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: BleuMojeaux] * 2
    #27819424 -

Like nektar61 says, the priority should be placed on cloning the known good fruiting culture. But if you will carefully slice the cap off without touching anything else, then grab the pin and take tissue from inside the stipe to a new plate, you can come back for the spores.


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LadysKnight]
    #27819599 -

To have the elusive clean spores, you'd need to make sure you had a sterile swab (can be done in an open jar in a PC if need be), but you'd also need to dry in front of a flow hood. But even without a hood, could produce a far cleaner swab than swabbing one growing in open air.

Someone on here, can't remember who, told me they knew people who grew shrooms in 100% sterile conditions for spores. Sealed tub, HEPA filtered the air coming in, PCed everything involved, used PCed water to mist, misted in front of a hood, etc.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27819693 -

Couldn’t you just fruit them in a sealed jar with several filter disks?  Use sterilized CVG or just top fruit a thin layer of grains in a large jar.

Edited by Seamonkey84 (06/14/22 05:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Seamonkey84]
    #27819722 -

Seamonkey84 said:
Couldn’t you just fruit them in a sealed jar with several filter disks?  Use sterilized CVG or just top fruit a thin layer of grains in a large jar.



I don't think they'd get enough FAE. I think you'd need to pump it in and out, which is what these people did. Same idea, add a pump.

I'm generally of the opinion that automation and moving parts are not needed in this hobby, but for totally sterile print production, all bets are off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 740 | 741 | 742 | 743 | 744 | 745 | 746 | 747 | 748 | 749 | 750 | 751 | 752 | 753 | 754 | 755 | 756 | 757 | 758 | 759 | 760 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
774,991 topic views. 19 members, 520 guests and 291 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.045 seconds spending 0.016 seconds on 16 queries.