Home | Community | Message Board


World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFluxburn
.
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/23/04
Posts: 2,216
Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Last seen: 6 years, 13 days
cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc
    #3777169 - 02/14/05 04:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

someone help me with my new obession, agar. So where is the best place to get all this stuff, ebay has cheap ass pyrex pertis for sure. I see the sporeworks has dextrose and mycoweb has some premade potato dextrose agar... I know you can make too.


--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineazurescens
member
Registered: 02/17/04
Posts: 717
Last seen: 8 years, 5 months
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3777173 - 02/14/05 04:02 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

cheapest way to go is to by the dishes and make your own.....it's very easy!!!!!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Registered: 02/28/04
Posts: 6,742
Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: azurescens]
    #3777177 - 02/14/05 04:04 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

word - check the link in my sig for the beer agar project,
you can make a badass agar with supplies from your home :smile:

peace ohm :mushroom2:


--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Registered: 11/21/04
Posts: 9,056
Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3777183 - 02/14/05 04:05 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Dry dextrose & light dry malt from home brew beer supply store (look in local phone book), agar from oreintal markets.

? pint Canning Jars & (Fool Proof) Potato Agar
? Slice 1/8 inch thick or grate 1 potato into 2 cups distilled water.
? Boil for 30 minutes, strain, add distilled water to make 1 Liter.
? Add 2 tbsp agar, 1 tbsp dextrose or corn syrup, 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast.
? Simmer while stirring slowly for 10 minutes.
? Pour into 1/2 pints (about ? to 5/8 in. deep)
? Place on lids, not tight, and pressure cook at 15 psi for 30 minutes (cooking too long may/will caramelize the sugars).
? Cool gradually so you don't boil the agar. Tilt pressure cooker as it cools so you will get a slant on the agar. (if you want one)
? Once cooled, tighten lids & tape over lid hole with alc swabbed Scotch brand clear storage tape.
? When ready to innoc (in glove box or flow/hood), remove lid, innoc & replace lid.
? Remove storage tape & replace with millipore surgical tape


--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Registered: 02/28/04
Posts: 6,742
Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: agar]
    #3777187 - 02/14/05 04:07 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Dry dextrose & light dry malt from home brew beer supply store (look in local phone book), agar from oreintal markets.

? pint Canning Jars & (Fool Proof) Potato Agar
? Slice 1/8 inch thick or grate 1 potato into 2 cups distilled water.
? Boil for 30 minutes, strain, add distilled water to make 1 Liter.
? Add 2 tbsp agar, 1 tbsp dextrose or corn syrup, 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast.
? Simmer while stirring slowly for 10 minutes.
? Pour into 1/2 pints (about ? to 5/8 in. deep)
? Place on lids, not tight, and pressure cook at 15 psi for 30 minutes (cooking too long may/will caramelize the sugars).
? Cool gradually so you don't boil the agar. Tilt pressure cooker as it cools so you will get a slant on the  agar.  (if you want one)
? Once cooled, tighten lids & tape over lid hole with alc swabbed Scotch brand clear storage tape.
? When ready to innoc (in glove box or flow/hood), remove lid, innoc & replace lid.
? Remove storage tape & replace with millipore surgical tape




ehehe thats funny .. take a look at my beer agar project and look at what you just posted agar =)
peace ohm :mushroom2:


--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Registered: 11/21/04
Posts: 9,056
Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: ohmatic]
    #3777193 - 02/14/05 04:11 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Grin..... :mushroom2:.........fun stuff isn't it. :grin: :wink:


--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRoudypiper
newbie
Registered: 06/30/04
Posts: 103
Last seen: 10 years, 6 months
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: agar]
    #3777667 - 02/14/05 09:46 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

would the size 1 baby food jars work good for making agar???


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 1,476
Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Last seen: 6 months, 26 days
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: agar]
    #3777684 - 02/14/05 09:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Dry dextrose & light dry malt from home brew beer supply store (look in local phone book), agar from oreintal markets.

? pint Canning Jars & (Fool Proof) Potato Agar
? Slice 1/8 inch thick or grate 1 potato into 2 cups distilled water.
? Boil for 30 minutes, strain, add distilled water to make 1 Liter.
? Add 2 tbsp agar, 1 tbsp dextrose or corn syrup, 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast.
? Simmer while stirring slowly for 10 minutes.
? Pour into 1/2 pints (about ? to 5/8 in. deep)
? Place on lids, not tight, and pressure cook at 15 psi for 30 minutes (cooking too long may/will caramelize the sugars).
? Cool gradually so you don't boil the agar. Tilt pressure cooker as it cools so you will get a slant on the agar. (if you want one)
? Once cooled, tighten lids & tape over lid hole with alc swabbed Scotch brand clear storage tape.
? When ready to innoc (in glove box or flow/hood), remove lid, innoc & replace lid.
? Remove storage tape & replace with millipore surgical tape




When I make mine I do the following

#1) I add food coloring to ID the different agar's Red for PDA, Blue for MDA, etc.

#2) I put it in 1 pint jars for storage. once it is made I put it in pint jars, put the lids on correctly, and Pressure Cook them. In essence I can it and seal it. The stuff will keep for ever that way.

#3) when I am ready to use it I PC the jar (Turning it back to a liquid and unsealing the jar) then pour plates in the glove box.

You can get petties of e-bay for cheep, I traded prints for mine on here.



Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Registered: 12/11/01
Posts: 22,598
Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc [Re: Roudypiper]
    #3777690 - 02/14/05 09:57 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roudypiper said:
would the size 1 baby food jars work good for making agar???




You could...but they are sorta on the small side.


Keep checking Ebay...and snipe some glass petri dishes at the last few seconds of the auction.

Pleezr and I spent several weeks buying up all the glass petri dishes off Ebay...a few years back.
We got some hella great deals.

wide mouth 1/2 pints are a great way to start agar work cheap.

Good luck!~


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.



Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this glass petri dish vented? ozzyozzyozzy 877 3 10/05/08 11:19 PM
by ozzyozzyozzy
* Looking for glass petri dishs Brainiac 1,047 5 10/06/06 06:36 PM
by Prisoner#1
* [OT] - Where can we find a cheap seller of glass petri dishes in Europe? FreeSporePrints 652 4 04/15/06 03:33 AM
by FreeSporePrints
* Petri Dishes + Agar Questions templeton1 2,003 9 02/26/08 10:21 PM
by MycoAu
* Re: Petri Dishes & Agar Q's Placebo 1,768 5 12/07/99 12:00 PM
by Anonymous
* Cheap alternative to glass petri dishes at wally world *pics* XTCollection 3,656 14 07/18/10 12:53 PM
by Doc_T
* pouring petri dishes in a glovebox.
( 1 2 all )
tripchip 6,012 24 09/22/08 07:09 AM
by tripchip
* PCing petri dishes and agar japa2222 1,523 6 04/29/07 02:17 AM
by hyphae

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Magash, Shroomism, george castanza, Prisoner#1, RogerRabbit, Citric, total, FooMan, 13shrooms, stonesun, EvilMushroom666, cronicr, PussyFart
1,904 topic views. 21 members, 78 guests and 27 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.057 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.