Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
partial truths that never get answered
    #1809378 - 08/13/03 02:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

We've all heard about atoms before, and we've been taught for many years now about how they're made up of electron/nutrons/protons, and that the nucleus is only a small fraction of the entire size of the atom with the bulk of it being a bunch of electrons floating about in their electron clouds, and so on and so forth...and for the most part I think many of us have simply left it at that (I know I did for a whole lotta years) I never really thought about things like what exactly existed in the space between the electron clouds (or within the 'clouds' themselves when the electrons weren't currently occupying said space) or what sort of physical 'bonds' held various atoms together, or anything else like that really. I never had a reason to know any of these sorts of things, so I never took the time to try and fingure any of it out. I threw what little I was taught about the microverse onto some ancient/dusty/crowded back burner with pretty much everything else I ever learned in school, and then I continued on my merry little way accumulating more and more partial truths to add to my ever growing pile...just as I've always done.

Well, I'm tired of loooking at that mess back there. Methinks it's time to do a little spring cleaning.

I allready know it's completely fruitless to even image that such a thing can be accomplished seeing as today's truths will enevitably become tomorrow's folklore...but I also understand that a great deal of knowing the totality of what is 'true' lies within the actual journey to get to the truth and not so much in the fruits of such labor. The path, is (in essence) more important the the final destination...which is what this thread is all about: attempting to make sense of all those little tid-bits of information we've been stowing away in the back of our minds all these years without ever really thinking twice about em.

So if you have any ponderings you'd like to share, or possible 'answers' to other's questions, I urge you to participate. Perhaps together we can shed a little light on these things.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: partial truths that never get answered [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1809719 - 08/13/03 04:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Some people wonder what the sound of one hand clapping is.  Well take a hand and clap your fingers to the palm and thats it! ....a little more muffled than a normal clap, ....bout half a clap actually.... :tongue:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1809753 - 08/13/03 04:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

WTF are you talking about?  :wtf:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1809813 - 08/13/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

man partial truths won't all come together someday to form a coherent complete truth. quite the opposite, partial truths can blind you to the truth, when you hold on to little bits of knowledge you have like you really know something. it can only prejudice your mind. so clean all that shit out and take a new look at the universe every morning when you wake up. the current model of the universe with all its atoms and electrons will one day seem as primitive as the belief in a flat earth.
I want to blow it all to bits and see the real universe behind our incomplete theories and models. I feel so close to breaking through and seeing the truth but I know that there's no way back once I see it.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: partial truths that never get answered [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1810040 - 08/13/03 05:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

infidelGOD said:
the current model of the universe with all its atoms and electrons will one day seem as primitive as the belief in a flat earth.
I want to blow it all to bits and see the real universe behind our incomplete theories and models. I feel so close to breaking through and seeing the truth but I know that there's no way back once I see it.

You're right, but there is still a lot of work between now and then that has to be done to get to then... I am sort of on the same journey as you are, but an important thing is to keep one foot in the reality that we commonly know... To advance to far ahead at once will cripple you, as it did Vibrant.. Take it slow, one breath at a time, one foot in front of you, one behind you... we'll both know, eventually, and have our health, too.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1810819 - 08/13/03 08:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Learning is what I have, for now at least, given my life to. I'll share a few things I've learned about the subject of learning  :smirk:

The only goal you should have in leaning is to Learn. Do not try and place limits on how much you will learn. Do not think that at some point in your life you will be done learning.

To stop learning is to stop growing.

Many people place a lot of importance on the "reliability" of information that they read. I don't think this is necessary. Any information, right or wrong, contains some lesson to be learned. The trick is finding the lesson, and learning from it.

The more you learn, the easier it becomes to learn more. There are two reasons, I think. One, that learning itself is a skill and can be developed through exercise. Two, nearly all information is connected in some way - so the more you know, the more you can know.

Reading, of any kind, is an excellent way to increase your learning ability. Fiction is particularely helpful, as it helps form an active and stimulated imagination.

Finally, remember that everything you learn is not necessarily "The Truth"...and in many cases will not be true at all. Thus, there doesn't seem very much of a point in holding beliefs as they are almost just as likely to turn out wrong as right.
Instead learn how to learn, and learn how to do it quickly. That way, if you hold no "beliefs" and only have theories, when you come accross something you can't figure out you might have the ability to learn about it on the spot. 

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: partial truths that never get answered [Re: trendal]
    #1812577 - 08/14/03 07:51 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Many people place a lot of importance on the "reliability" of information that they read. I don't think this is necessary. Any information, right or wrong, contains some lesson to be learned. The trick is finding the lesson, and learning from it.

This is what I always try to promote... and the way my mind works. I rely on myself to find out what is really going on, what the real message is, etc., instead of needing someone else to prove it to me and to spell it out...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: