Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in?
    #8501689 -

Inquiring Theists want to know :grin:

.
Atheists - Which Gods do you not believe in?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 06/08/08 09:37 PM until the end of time
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll



--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Asante]
    #8501814 -

It must be all or it would not be atheism, no?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Asante]
    #8501844 -

I believe that there is a creator - something behind everything....
I fail to understand how all of the numbers and patterns and "natural laws and orders" and diversity and "beauty" can all come from "nothing"....

So, which box do I select....?


>^;;^<


--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8501888 -

Atheists like to say agnostics are timid. I would say it's the other way around.

Even atheists believe in God, even if the God they believe in is cold, uncaring, and distant. Such is the nature of human awareness.

I'm agnostic by the way, though I've been an atheist several times. :lol:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8501916 -

Quote:
I believe that there is a creator





Me, too!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8501951 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:
I believe that there is a creator





Me, too!



So, which do you suppose came first, the creator, or the meteorite....?

:what:


>^;;^<


--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Asante]
    #8501997 -

I believe what I can see and test and logically prove. I don't believe that man is trustworthy, so I don't believe any man's account of contact with a divine creator who decided to communicate with a chosen few. I think that some greater underlying force is responsible for the Universe, but not that any human is aware of precisely what that is. I chose option one because I have never seen a definition of God that fits my criteria.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Cameron]
    #8502042 -

Any religion that thinks it has the right to ridicule others. Besides that I just find all the worldly religions too simplistic to be the actual grand design of things, the beauty is we'll never know until we get there =).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Azagthoth]
    #8503009 -

all the worldly religions too simplistic to be the actual grand design of things

Religions are REAL good BULLSHIT stories inspired by individual access to an inspirational experience.
What comes out of this is...  "I've seen, I know, Follow me..."  Their broken because of this.  They no longer provide what their intentions should be.  And in no way provide the inspirational experience that is at the foundation of ALL.  Cornerstone.  Hollow shells.

Hurry up and wait for your Saviour.

Its you.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8503027 -

Quote:
all the worldly religions too simplistic to be the actual grand design of things



Remember Gods are independent from religion. Organized religions are just fanclubs, subject to fashions, fads and manipulations.

Gods come to you in your mind. Most of it is ineffable, and we only can have an interpretation. Any attempt to transfer this to others results in dataloss and confusion.

Remember: Gods are one thing, religions quite another.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Asante]
    #8503236 -

If one said God was the same as Tao then I would nave no objection.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Asante]
    #8503376 -

Free acid, and now this?

Have you been drinking stupid juice?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: DieCommie]
    #8503662 -

DieCommie said:
It must be all or it would not be atheism, no?




--------------------
I must not Fear. Fear is the mindkiller . Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and
through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. ONLY I WILL REMAIN.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: NIMH]
    #8510586 -

DieCommie said:
It must be all or it would not be atheism, no?


What if I believe in just one single obscure god who has no powers at all? For all practical purposes I would be an atheist in the eyes of most established religions.

Or what if I believe that Eternal President Kim Il-Sung of North Korea has immense supernatural powers even long after his physical death. Isn't that a theist belief, despite all the christian propaganda that communism is supposed to be an atheist ideology?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #8510596 -

Quote:
What if I believe in just one single obscure god



Then you no longer fit the definition of an Atheist... you've become a cult member. There is a difference.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #8510631 -

I don't believe in any Gods, by any definition, period.

The concept just escapes me, doesn't make sense. 

"Even atheists believe in God, even if the God they believe in is cold, uncaring, and distant. Such is the nature of human awareness."

This doesn't make sense either.  Sure, when I was 7 years old and my grandfather died, people told me things about heaven and a really nice supernatural being that takes care of everything.  It worked then, I could picture it in my mind (probably from imagery from TV, etc., that gave me a basis for clouds, beards, etc.)

But then I grew up and (no offense intended, just my view) realized santa wasn't real, the sleigh bells I heard a couple christmases before were the same ones that hung by our fireplace, etc. 

Then I got older and understood that it is generally human nature to believe in higher powers, but not programmed human nature, simply a person's desire, deep down, to have importance, to be watched over, to explain things, to help them cope with deaths, diseases, etc. 

My father gave me a brief history of religion when I was very young, maybe 8.  He never mentioned christianity or any other, but said "when people lived in caves, they needed to explain thunder and lightning." 

It must have stuck, because that is my honest view, it penetrates me to the core.  I have absolutely no sense of gods, higher powers, creators, etc.  I sometimes think about this mythology, ponder it (what little I know of christian myths, I really should read the bible some day to get a perspective on western society I guess).

To me, thinking of christian mythology is no different than hindu, norse, or even buddhist myths.  To me, it doesn't make sense that people have this magical wonderful thing inside them that is their "essence" and "moves on when they die."

Even just the way some folks try to say "well, you have a nervous system, it uses electricity, maybe that is the soul...your consciousness is your soul...etc"

Balderdash, I say.  (again, my personal view, everyone is free to have one)

Religion, gods, etc.- these things are the same in 2008 as they were when the first humans told stories around fires...well, anything more supernatural than stories of the hunt or battle.


I cannot imagine why someone would say that it is not possible to truly be 100% atheist. 

I believe in protein synthesis and the truly amazing things that happen when you bubble up a pot of chemicals and start forming amino acids.

So if I were to subscribe to or say I had a religion, I would be a dirt worshiper.  Earth.  The creator of all things on it.  Through chemistry.  (Except for the water that came from hunks of ice in space)

Since there's nothing to actually receive my worship, though, I don't worship it, and simply appreciate it and try to be a good steward, even though our planet can take care of itself no matter what we do to it.

Good question Wiccan, glad you brought it up.


Edit- it's amazing how rare a true atheist really is...a minority actually chose the true atheist viewpoint in the poll.  That seems to show a touch of honesty, though, which is good.

Edited by abica (06/11/08 09:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: abica]
    #8512497 -

abica said:
Earth.  The creator of all things on it.  Through chemistry.  (Except for the water that came from hunks of ice in space)



Don't forget "the big guy in the sky" that made the Earth and life possible....
Earth would be a co-creator, IMO....
(semantics  :tongue: )

:sunny:


>^;;^<


--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8512950 -

"the big guy in the sky"

Santa? :grinch:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: Icelander]
    #8512987 -

No no no.....

The BIG BIG bright guy....
Much lighter than Santa....    :tongue:

:sunny:  <====


>^;;^<


--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Atheists - which Gods do you not believe in? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8512999 -

Mr. Clean?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* the Muslim and the Atheist Zahid 1,281 9 07/26/02 02:13 PM
by Anonymous
* God - What a lazy couch potatoe he is Ego Death 847 12 03/12/05 01:31 PM
by OldWoodSpecter
* "Gods loves us".....but why?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
MOTH 7,151 111 11/21/04 08:20 PM
by ld50negative1
* Do You Believe In God?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
EffedS 7,249 92 09/08/03 09:58 AM
by Clover
* if you believe in god
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
2Experimental 5,964 80 08/03/04 06:56 PM
by HerbanShaman
* Do u Believe, in an unconditional loving God ?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
lucid 11,396 74 09/25/03 05:08 PM
by ska8ball
* Religion and God
( 1 2 3 all )
RandalFlagg 4,361 40 09/19/03 01:49 PM
by Clover
* Praise God
( 1 2 all )
Viaggio 2,055 31 10/30/04 01:36 AM
by fireworks_god

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
7,598 topic views. 1 members, 7 guests and 25 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.042 seconds spending 0.021 seconds on 21 queries.