Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Praise God
    #3286705 - 10/27/04 10:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Try to not hear a cliche southern baptist voice when you read my thread's title :wink:

Recently, I've been thanking God each time I realized a blessing or came across good fortune.  This...is new to me.  Yes, I've heard the common phrases "count your blessings" and "don't take anything for granted" plenty of times, but it's not until recently that I've truly come to understand their meaning.  For instance, I received $500 more than I was expecting last month.  I felt compelled to express gratitude to God because I believe he is responsible for everything.  So after I thanked him, I...felt something new.  I began to see my life (and God's role) in a new light. 

In "the beginning" (assuming there is such a thing), God created.  But why?  I believe someone on this board once said that God did this because he wanted his existence to be acknowledged.  In the past, I convinced myself that that God was far too sophisticated of a being to hold these kind of characteristics...but this new feeling had me consider otherwise.  Maybe the concept of God is not as vague and beyond my comprehension as I've always assumed.

With this idea of God's desire to be acknowledged, I get the impression there is an important and beautiful reason for our reciprocal acknowledgment.  It feels so fundamental.  It feels like both God and I have discovered something...our purpose.  This idea of praise and acknowledgment leads me to believe that every time I genuinely thank him, he feels fulfilled, appreciated, honored.  It's like we're becoming friends.

Is this kind of like praying?  Does prayer have anything to do with praise?  I don't really know where I'm going with this, but feel free to reply.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Edited by viaggio (10/27/04 10:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Praise God [Re: Viaggio]
    #3286719 - 10/27/04 10:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Alhamdulillah :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Praise God [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3286767 - 10/27/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

good stuff, personally the only kind of prayer i do is prayers of thanksgiving, try to do them every day , for everything you have to be thankfull for

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Praise God [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3286902 - 10/27/04 11:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm like moon shoe on this. I never ask for things. I give thanks to the universe for lots every day.

Appreciation is powerful stuff. I remember hearing it this way. The universal powers that be LOOOOOOOOOOOVE to feel the energy of appreciation. When they figure out what we feel it for they start laying more of it on us. It's total reciprocation.

A good habit to get into is to think of 5 things you are thankful for at the end of every day and feel the energy and emotion of appreciation for a while, just bath in it. Soon, it becomes habit and you feel it more through out the day and take more note of things to be thankful for through out the day.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Praise God [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3287358 - 10/28/04 12:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

God takes care of me every day, even in the small things. I am not going to enumerate here.

I owe everything to God.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Re: Praise God [Re: Frog]
    #3289356 - 10/28/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

dont we all?

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3289439 - 10/28/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

there is no god whitout a god... :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisibletracing
Stranger

Re: Praise God [Re: Gomp]
    #3289669 - 10/28/04 04:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

(Not to be a pesimist or anything, just my frank opinion on "God".)

I never understood why so many ppl thanked "god" for anything other than existing. Nature is one cruel mofo, nature as many ppl would like not to think is literaly a hell, killing other creatures thus causing immense amount of pain just to survive?, I dont know what you call a hell but surely this must constitute of one.

If humans where not governed by free-will and somehow led a life of bliss I see good reason to be thankfull for it (that is if we could, no free-will right?). But instead we are forced to do everything ourselves, and all those poor animals that are born in the wild which sadly dont have free will are guided through a hell like existance of running, little sleep or being eaten half the time alive. Those beings which are guided by "god" are the ones that suffer the most. We who are least guided by "god"/nature or whatever external forces have less of a reason to be thankfull to anything but ourselves.

We are our own gods, we create our hells equaly as we create our heavens. "God" supplied us the tools thats it, nothing more.

On a more personal note. When I got very depressed I often looked for some kind of outlet to something above and beyond, ie: god, but it has NEVER played through. Thats not to say I dont think God exists, Im agnostic towards the matter. But "god"/it whatever you call it seems to be as neutral towards my demise as much as towards a life of great uplifting, basicly whichever way the wind blows.

The only experiences Ive had that are "supernatural" (I wouldnt call it supernatural just plain natural which is why I put the ") regarding other beings are of spirits in my dreams, simply put they are people like you and me who have already died in the physical form, this is just an assumption based on experience. Ive had all kinds of interesting experiences there like most ppl and even to what I considered communication (even talking) but I have never ever felt/heard/understood in any shape or form some sort of god or the suggestion by god through the spirits I communicate with in my dreams. They seem to be just as dumbfounded on the matter of god as we are.

What I would say is if things are way out of the ordinary happening around you its either coincidence or busy little spirits at work :wink:, but certainly no god, just my opinion, take it or leave it :grin:.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Re: Praise God [Re: tracing]
    #3289761 - 10/28/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

life has infinite good and infinite evil in it. But i dont see any reason not to be thankfull for the good, and even the bad can be used as a valuable learning tool

--------------------

Invisibletracing
Stranger

#3289977 - 10/28/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ppl who have become supposedly enlightened where not given a guiding light by a higher force, we had to learn the hard way through suffering the principles of life (the main one being suffering comes from desire). Those who have achieved enlightenment worked at it through years of dedication with meditation and study. But certainly nothing helped them along the way except their fellow man.

I get what your saying though, but I see that as more of being thankfull for existing rather than being thankfull for the good since I see the good only coming out of us, our desire to help one another and not be selfish was our descision alone, not some higher force.

Besides things are better that way no?, if we are the sole ones creating the good in life its something to be proud of. All the happy souls you see are from hard work ppl have contributed to society over time to let us enjoy ourselves as much as we are now. We can become "gods" to our children, with patience and unconditional love we add our contribution to the happiness of society as a whole now and in the future.

Im just saying lets start giving ourselves more credit for the good things we have done and just be greatfull we are here to enjoy it.

If god exists I think he needs us as much as we need him, his mistakes are our mistakes and vice versa. Its like loving your partner but not thanking them for being there, its just expected. Thats the only way I could see loving "god", is by loving being able to be alive in the first place! :sun:.

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Praise God [Re: tracing]
    #3290004 - 10/28/04 05:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"Besides things are better that way no?, if we are the sole ones creating the good in life its something to be proud of."

You can either seek truth or seek comfort :smile:

For one, 'you' didn't create any of this. I'm referring to 'you' as the singular seperate-from-the-all point of observation, if you shed away all the assumed parts of 'you' to get to the core. It could be argued that 'you' did on the level that you are a fragment of the singular all-being 'thing'. Still though, that's like a skin cell taking credit for its body's sense of sight.

Sometimes surrendering is the way to go.

It feels good.

And nothing can take it away :smile:

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#3291215 - 10/28/04 10:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

There is no God without a God.

This may sound strange, but...that statement makes a lot of sense to me.

Tracing, I completely understand where you're coming from because I've shared a similar perspective for a long time. But my views on life and spirituality have turned a slightly different direction. You mentioned how depression affected your spiritual view? I'm a firm believer in how brain chemistry greatly influences the individual's perspective on everything. I suppose the current "development" in my spiritual perspective could be attributed to this. Nonetheless, I'm embracing it.

Deff, I agree with some of what you said. I've never believed in "the truth" ever being discovered or revealed, so I've decided that "comfort" is the next priority. I allowed my perspective to act just a bit more "loosely" for the simple reason of having spiritual comfort. Like you mentioned, I'm "surrendering" to a certain extent. Many people might say that this is foolish, and I understand why. When I questioned everything in hopes of finding some sort of key spiritual understanding, my judgment was narrow and sharp. I satisfied that my view was tight and "wise" (logical).

Eventually, I grew tired wielding this tight scope on life. It seemed to make my hunt for genuine spiritual "truth" cold and I felt further from comfort since starting it. So, as I said before, I've decided to go back toward this familiar spiritual "comfort" zone by loosening my spiritual judgment.

Tracing, I understand there is negativity in this world (such as selfish acts and innocent tragedies), I've seen my share, but I believe that this is a "necessary evil" to define positivity. Because of this view, I can't hold God responsible for this design. Realizing fortune and blessings through suffering relieves suffering. In other words, I praise to feel good.

I agree that we should be grateful to fellow humans for showing the ability to be selfless and accomplishing. But to express thanks to anything in existence, is to thank God. Like you explained, we should praise God for existence. When I praise God for specific things (as opposed to the ambiguous concept of existence), I feel a sense of approval and pride coming from (what I believe to be) God.

I've always had high regard for many concepts of Eastern philosophy (such as desire being the root of suffering and practicing stillness for clarity). But I've been considering the value of desire. It may bring about suffering, but it also delivers man towards great things. Praise seems to make the paths leading to great things more enjoyable, thus less bumpy.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3291242 - 10/28/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"it is off all the suffering the good came to be so good"
-unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineSoulTech
Automated
    #3291421 - 10/28/04 11:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ever thank the devil for not fucking you over too bad?

The whole thanking god thing gives me a bad taste in my mouth because it just seems silly to me. Don't get me wrong I am very grateful to be a consciouss entity experiencing life but to me thanking "god" is loaded with presuppositions and human value systems that don't sit well with me.

I always get a kick when an athlete thanks god after a big play. Like god gave him the power to accomplish some meaningless goal, all the while purposely fucking over his opponents.

Someone's fortune is often times someone else's misfortune. Would god really pick sides?

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Praise God [Re: SoulTech]
    #3291494 - 10/28/04 11:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The concept of fortune and misfortune might be in place to separate us, thus establishing a realm of numerous egos. When I step back, I believe I can only see one side, that being God's. I don't mean to sound vague, but I sort of visualize life as a glass of water. We're the water, and God is the glass and the water.

When an athlete thanks God for his victory, I think I understand what the athlete believes.

What kind of presupptions accompany the act of praise?

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3291519 - 10/28/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

viaggio said:
I don't mean to sound vague, but I sort of visualize life as a glass of water.  We're the water, and God is the glass and the water.

interesting, and, just beacuse i wonder, why not the glass, why are we water?

kinda fit whit life is ouer body, We're the flesh, and God is the skeleton and flesh.
kinda.. hehe  :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (10/28/04 11:34 PM)

OfflineCER
?
Loc: midwest
    #3291527 - 10/28/04 11:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:Is this kind of like praying? Does prayer have anything to do with praise? I don't really know where I'm going with this, but feel free to reply.

Jam 5:13 Does anyone suffer ill among you? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him praise.

--------------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Edited by CER (10/28/04 11:33 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Praise God [Re: CER]
    #3291550 - 10/28/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

why shoul he not praise if he suffer? only throug suffer you will feel good? (just said it dont mean it) :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineSoulTech
Automated
    #3291620 - 10/28/04 11:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Intersting point here, "why shoul he not praise if he suffer? only throug suffer you will feel good? (just said it dont mean it) :P " .

With the premise, "Someone's fortune is another's misfortune",
the true bhodisatvas would give praise to accept suffering for the fortune of another. But then this gets into the question is the fortune of the other really "fortunate" in the buddhist sense.

OfflineSoulTech
Automated
    #3291701 - 10/29/04 12:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Presuppositions come with the act to praise god. Here are a few that come to mind: there is a god in the first place, this god has an ego (that needs to be praised), this god has influence your wellbeing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology