Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineMOoKie
Re: overpopulation [Re: Jenny]
    #325723 - 05/24/01 11:57 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

This is really directed to no one....

I don't think the world is "over" populated, and I don't think it will be in the near future. A larger population than previous times isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's actually a function of several very good things.

Food supply has risen faster then the population has. Any famine in the 20th century is the direct result of poor politics, or war. George Revelle, of Harvard University, estimated that Africa, Latin America, and Asia alone, could support 35 to 40 billion people with better water usage.

Women are not having more children. Quite the opposite, in the last one hundred years the size of the average family has dramatically decreased. Governments cannot have the ability to legislate reproduction! Travesties will ensue. I've noticed a few of the same people that say: "the government has no right to tell a woman what they can do to their body.", think the government should basically have control over the entire reproductive process. See the flaw?

We aren't running out of natural resources. If we were the prices would be skyrocketing. Prices of oil are going up due to, again, poor economic practices. There really are no natural resources anyway, there are materials that humans turn into resources. Whales were on the cusp of extinction in the 1850's because their oils were used for heating, lighting, and lubrication of machine parts. (Whaling still occurs, threatning them, but not to the extent.) Then, someone found that you could make kerosene from this black shit that farmers had to pay to get hauled off their land. I have no doubt in my mind some innovation will replace oil. An example (not how oil will be replaced) would be the fiber-optics your internet is probably coming through, and the silicon parts in your computer. Made from sand. Us awful, ignorant human beings are pretty amazing when you think about it. Things have way of evening themselves out. Sure we need to innovate and conserve. We are, and will.

Look at this way: Would you rather expect to die at 45, and have most of the people around you die at high rates? Would you rather have to spend the majority of your day working just to eat? Would you rather have no leisure time to think of? No time to enlighten yourself? I mean, the alternative to our lifestyle now, isn't the best. All this gloom and doom shit is depressing! I mean, "voluntary human extinction"? Shit. They're buyin into the media hype, WAY too much.

You can say Indian's were enlightened, but they were tied to their religions. They had to pray to bears and trees to do pretty much anything in they're daily life. I'm pretty glad I don't have to do that, aren't you? Actually, in most religious circles, they are noticing a great spiritual awakening in the country.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

--------------------
"If it ain't one thing, then it's the other. Any cause that crosses your path; your heart bleeds for anyone's brother. I've got to tell you you're a pain in the ass."      Oingo Boingo!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemadmonkey
journeyman
Loc: SOUTH DAKOTA
Re: overpopulation [Re: MOoKie]
    #326019 - 05/26/01 02:19 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

they say the ice age started because there was a world wide flood. when the carbon dioxide created by volcanos depleted the ozones, the polar ice caps melted, just like they are melting now. they flooded the earth, and then when it was covered in water, it reflected so much of the sun's heat away from the earth that it all froze solid. gradually, the carbon dioxide continued to build, and the ozone continued to deplete, until there was enough heat getting through to melt the ice again.

ice age coming. bring a jacket.

brought to you by

--------------------
brought to you by

Offlineque
Loc: Heaven/Hell
Re: overpopulation [Re: Xibalba]
    #327494 - 05/27/01 11:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

mook-Would you rather have to spend the majority of your day working just to eat?
It has been estimated the amount of time one needs for survival with 0 technology....so what ya' think? more than 8 hours? nope.....3.5 hours to cover your basic needs in a primitive settling....more or less depending on where you are......technology was to simplify life and reduce human labor need but has done quite the opposite.....

So do I think I can just turn the other cheek and not own a car, not own a house, live off the land?
yup....i pretty much do....i own no car, have next to no bills, buy only bare essentials and pay just over $100 rent/mo. and have money in the bank for emergencies, working perhaps 10-25 hrs. a month...so am i just lazy? naaa lazy people do not bike 1-200 miles a week, fish, camp ect. all destination reached with no petrol.....
Oh yea i quite agree we have a lot of genius ideas they are just quickly exploited for maximum cash with little concern for anything else. I also agree this world could be eficciantly run with 10 times the population....like I have mentioned before 90% of this countries ppl live on 10% of the land. Take a few coast to coast drives zig-zag you will see how few people we have, overpopulation is an illusion due to technology, we instantly know what is happening in all the populated areas and there seem to be lot of problems and people stacked on top of eachother. Many millions of ppl in this country are in constant transit flying/driving creating this rat-race illusion...bring on the plains cam 1 person per land area of 1 large city in many places, the desert cam same thing, mountain cam, swamp cam, wilderness cam it would all make for some pretty boring viewing since no ppl are there..so we pay no attention to all but 10% of our land mass

..next to zero population in any direction when you drive 500 miles. Technology could support living in many of these area's without depleteing resources, we are just not done with the gluttony cycle we are currently in, but sometime we will be one way or another...do it the easy/intelligent way or the hard/stupid/greedy way I don't care (although observing selfdestruction is irritating and sad) I have all the faith in the world it will work out fine....of course if there is no world there goes my faith...hehehe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by que on 05/28/01 02:01 AM.

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: overpopulation [Re: que]
    #327633 - 05/28/01 03:41 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

hey que, you dont send little packages through the mail do you? (sorry i dont know how to do those little reassuring smily faces)

InvisiblethePilgrim_0
Stranger
Loc: Spain
    #327795 - 05/28/01 11:55 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Woman, what a misanthropist you are!!!
So, let me give you a hint: since you hate yourself and your race so much and are so conscient of how sick this goes, why don?t you preach by example and show a bit of needed altruism by giving the first step? ;)
No kidding, I think it would be worthless.
After reading what you said I arrive upon the conclussion that yours is a easy philosophy, underneath quite unconscient and ignorant. Have you really watched around you to make such predicament? I think not. You are probably missing the real problem.
Before thinking about overpopulation, I believe it?s iumportant not to miss the prior step, proper distribution. ?Till the moment there is enough room, air and food for all of us, shamefully in the hands of some, creating that way that terribly sad and absurd void in the lifes of so many, many millions of human beings, so many of whom won?t even have the opportunity to make a mistake or hurt someone else. Just victims of the wars that should concern you the most, those with weapons and without that your country (guess you are from the US) creates and holds, just for the sake of power, economy and market.
I think it would be more helpful and positive thinking how you could save people instead of desiring their death, at least that of the inocent ones.
About your commentary over the mormons: what can I say?! Sorry for you, but it really sounds fascist and therefore stupid. That makes me think about the hipocresy you preach, and how it links together: stupid, who? Please, think about it.
Please, think a bit before throwing crap around you in a vain try to relieve frustration. You probably hide (though in this case seems as if you really must dig) a beautiful being whith a great potential to help building up some values with which to get a future, ?cause as long as people think like you, your hopes will come true.
So, get real and consequent, will you?

InvisiblethePilgrim_0
Stranger
Loc: Spain
Re: overpopulation [Re: thePilgrim_0]
    #327919 - 05/28/01 02:29 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Oh well!
I just came back and read what I wrote and the whole thread.
Sorry to everyone for jumping in like that not following the track. I was pissed and as I sat in front of the computer I saw Jenny?s message and I went straight to the answer not paying attention to your contributions.
By the way, there seem to be great people with great minds in this comunity. Not everyone, unfortunately, but enough to make me feel I found a place where a lot can be learnt and shared.
Que, I admire your capacity to co-live in this society in such a healthy (and so needed way), keeping yourself from being suck into the main stream of degradation. Keep on ruling your way, man!
And last, Jenny, sorry for being so critical and questioning so roughly your moral cathegory. I guess everyone has rage outbursts once in a while and in a place so unkind like this, our "home" (though I don?t feel in home :( )it should be better tolerated. Still, I think you really must reflexionate over your commentary on the Mormons...

I am also with the theory on mistake acumulation ?till it all gets too fucked, and then we shall start over again -only a few- with a hard lesson behind that will prevent us from being so fool and that will teach us to appreciate what we have got.
Or so I hope, ?cause though we can barely appreciate how unfair everything is (too unfair to have faith or believe in anything for many, at this point), not having a second chance would just be too much, too much to be real, don?t you think???
In any case, being defeatist leads us nowhere, and all we have left is hope, a probability (no matter how small), a little still of common sense and great potential to be reconducted.
I always loved the popular saying that "good things lead to better things as bad things lead to worse things".

Offlineque
Re: overpopulation [Re: thePilgrim_0]
    #328037 - 05/28/01 04:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

pilgrim-thanx for the kind words....i have been sucked in but just seem to upset the tummy of the beast and in no time purged from systems i do not hold as sacred...HOLY MONEY you got to be kidding.....it quickly turns into a push for six digit income (which i've hit) and never satisfied....perhaps some that are not the extremist i am can make it work....for me it back-fires resulting in the opposite of initial goal...(the image of) failure...don't be this person
I, I've been lonely
And I, I've been blind
And I,. I've learned nothing
So my hands are firmly tied
To the sinking leadweight
of failure

I've worked hard all my life
Money slips through my hands
My face in the mirror tells me
It's no surprise that I'm
Pushing the stone up the hill
of failure

They tempt me with violence
They punish me with ideals
And they crush me with an image of my
life that's nothing but unreal
Except on the goddamned slaveship
of failure

I'll drown here trying
to get up for some air
But each time I think I breathe
I'm laid on with a double share
of the punishing burden
of failure

I don't deserve to be down here
But I'll never leave
And I've learned one thing
You can't escape the beast
In the null and void pit
of failure

When I get my hands on some money
I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face
"Where the hell have you been?"
"I am the fuel that fires the engine
of failure."

I'll be old and broken down
I'll forget who and where I am
I'll be senile or forgotten
But I'll remember and understand
You can bank your hard-earned money
on failure

I saw my father crying
I saw my mother break her hand
On a wall that wouldn't weep
But that certainly held in
The mechanical moans of a dying man
Who was a failure

My back hurts me when I bend
Because I carry a load
My brain hurts me like a knife-hole
Because I've yet to be shown
How to pull myself out from
The sucking quicksand
of failure

Some people live in hell
Many bastards succeed
But I. I've learned nothing
I can't even elegantly bleed
Out the poison blood
of failure
I don't mean this in a mope depressing sense its just when all that you have is never enough you always want more, if your satisfied with what you have you appriciate ALL things more.....

Offlineque
Re: overpopulation [Re: missulena]
    #328051 - 05/28/01 05:03 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

misulena-"hey que, you dont send little packages through the mail do you?"
ABSOLUTLEY!!!! Whats mine is yours,but you must understand my minimalism leaves this as no great offer....and since i do no drugs here are your choices....
1. shiney bits of tinfoil
2. little bits of string and lint
3. clothes from the goodwill(postage will exceed cost)
4.various photos of roadkill and of wildflowers also internal organs from when i worked for organ transplant ward at hopital i would always bring my cam and snap a few inbetween point A and B....oh also my snake Spot (deceased :( ....moment of silence) or last but not least me ;)
5. i suppose some dirty green paper with dead presidents if your intrested in something silly....

sorry i dont do drugs so the above are your options of my lifes accumulations (post discard) anything you see that you like dont hesitate to ask i'll even do express mail!!!
(p.s. if you think i'm kidding just try me, and if you seem special i'll bump up the lint offer to more personal navel lint and if you ask for $$ i get to throw in any above of my choice)

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: overpopulation [Re: que]
    #330360 - 05/31/01 03:00 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I meant you live similar to theodore kacynski the unabomber who lived in an isolated shack and was against technology and mailed bombs to people who were for technology i know your not totally against technology but it was just a joke,.I used to keep snakes too, now i just keep megalomorph spiders such as the worlds most deadly arachnid Missulena occatoria its even more deadly than sydney funnel webs and way more deadly than any other spider on the planet.

Offlinezetek
enthusiast

Loc: United States
    #330459 - 05/31/01 06:45 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

"When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy of all is war..."

THOMAS HOBBES,

Leviathan, II, 30

Offlineque
Re: overpopulation [Re: missulena]
    #342152 - 06/16/01 11:43 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

missulena....sorry i missed the analogy....but its quite funny that it was due to my paranoia(unabomber,unabomer)..."what are you on can i have some?" <~i get that a lot...huh go figure.....
Then my list of possesions further make your comparison kinda funny....but actually i travel a lot...try to catch the taste of change perhaps in yor city in the last several weeks covered many....considering your spidey's your probably an aussie though which is cool, some very cool ppls i've met from there hope to extend travels to that area some day....
Peace & Out

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder