Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Are all people bisexual?
    #3042891 - 08/24/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Are all humans inherently bisexual? I think almost all people can tell whether another person of their gender is attractive or not. But does this imply that they are at some level sexually attracted to them? Or is it purely aesthetic?

The reason I bring this topic up because I was lurking on the Overgrow forums and saw this question:

(Assuming you are a guy...)
"If your life depended on it, would you rather:
1) Have sex with a trim, 20-something year old, attractive man
2) A fat, 80-something, ugly as hell elderly woman
3) Die for not doing either"
If you're a girl, just switch the guy for a girl and the elderly woman for an elderly man.

Bisexuality was an accepted part of ancient cultures, the most popular probably being Greece. Is homophobia actually a modern-day result of denying one's bisexuality?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Are all people bisexual? [Re: ]
    #3042930 - 08/24/04 05:23 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, that's an interesting question!

I'm a straight woman. I've seen many georgeous woman, and have thought to myself, damn..their hot!
But I could honestly say, that I've never thought anything sexual about the women themselves. More of (i hate to say it) envy?!
I want something she's got. Something I see in her that I want for myself.

I have family members who are gay and bisexual, so they don't frighten me, or upset me in any way. I personally think it's immoral. That's my personal opinion on the matter, but I don't discriminate. They are people with feelings, emotions and thoughts as I am.

Maybe for some, homophobia can be seen as denial, but I don't believe that goes for all homophobics!

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3042944 - 08/24/04 05:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I consider myself bisexual, although I am happily married to a wonderful man.  When I was a teenager, I experimented as I'm sure many people did, and I thought it was "just a phase."  But those feelings of sexual attraction towards the same sex never went away.  My husband knows and accepts that part of me...makes for some fun evenings.  :wink: 

I don't know.  I've often felt very confused about my sexuality, so nowadays, I try not to put a label on my attractions, regardless of gender.  Personally, I don't think that something like love is confined by gender in the slightest.  And when you love a person in a partnership sense, you want to make them feel good, and that is where sexuality can come into play. 

Okay, if I'm going to be honest, I've often wondered if everyone is bisexual at heart.  I don't know...maybe, maybe not.  I just try not to put too much emphasis on labels regarding such a varying topic like sexuality.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
    #3042945 - 08/24/04 05:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think that the reaction when you think of having sex with someone your own sex (or opposite for homosexuals, presumably) is a reaction of disgust, the same type as you might experience at the thought of eating shit, for example. I am certainly not homophobic, but I am "phobic" to the idea of gay sex.

I would say that this reaction is due mainly to the fact that most of our brain's are wired toward heterosexuality

I don't think homosexuality can be said to be immoral, as it occurs in animals aswell, and is due in part to genetic influences.

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Are all people bisexual? [Re: deafpanda]
    #3042955 - 08/24/04 05:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

deafpanda said:
I think that the reaction when you think of having sex with someone your own sex (or opposite for homosexuals, presumably) is a reaction of disgust, the same type as you might experience at the thought of eating shit, for example. I am certainly not homophobic, but I am "phobic" to the idea of gay sex.

That made me shoot coffee all over my keyboard!! Point well said!

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Anonymous

Re: Are all people bisexual? [Re: MOTH]
    #3042967 - 08/24/04 05:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

El, you said
I just try not to put too much emphasis on labels regarding such a varying topic like sexuality.

Removing labels is exactly what I'm attempting to do, in the sense of sexual orientation. All of my friends who are 'gay' will admit they're actually attracted to both sexes, but their preference is for their own gender. I think 'straight' people are the same way, but opposite. They have a preference for the opposite sex, but are open to a sexual relationship with the same gender under certain conditions, no matter how miniscule the possibility may be. For example, one man may be 99% attracted to women, and 1% attracted to other men. But this 1% is so small compared to their other attraction that it doesn't even cross their mind. If they are forced to consider the 1% attraction, their other preference is so overpowering that it's immediately dismissed. Another man may be 70% attracted to women, and 30% attracted to men. So he still has a dominating preference for women, but there's a larger possibility to be sexually involved with another man. Other things that would factor in to the equation are availability of one's preference (case in point: prison life) and of course physical attractiveness. That's how I see it, anyway.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
    #3042976 - 08/24/04 05:56 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think that heterosexuality is reinforced by cultural influences - the same influences that would make me gag if I tried to eat a slug (good source of protein) make me disgusted by the idea of gay sex (good source of sexual pleasure).

In a way I can see that it would be better to be bisexual (or at least it would be if there was no stigma attached) yet I am not.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3043009 - 08/24/04 06:10 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hmmmm...
well, much of our physical development (including neurological, primary & secondary sexual characteristics, & much behavior is mediated by hormonal cues (& embryologically, these are directed by DNA-coded instructions...)
anyway, everybody has both "male" and "female" hormones in 'em...

i think arthur c clarke suggested in one of his novels that for XX & for XY folks there is a continuum from a theoretical "totally heterosexual orientation" to a "totally homosexual orientation" - with nobody being 100% ...
but how we express our gender identity & interpersonal sexuality, etc. is certainly influenced to an extent by the surrounding cultural mores...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #3043011 - 08/24/04 06:10 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i don't think i could label myself like that, maybe a sexual being instead.
i mean women are way up the list i love everything about them. their soothing calming energy, their sexuality and sensuality. they are totally beautiful.
but for guys thats something that i don't think i would like to try anytime soon. maybe thats a pretty big maybe, but that doesn't mean there is not a possiblity of it happening.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3043043 - 08/24/04 06:22 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm unsure how I feel about the subject. I think everyone's in between 100% straight and 100% gay, but I'm unsure whether the difference is all indoctrination.

To my experience, more women will be disgusted by two men kissing than men will be disgusted by two women kissing. Based on this, I think the stigma against homosexuals, as opposed to lesbians, is based more on a graphic representation people have in their heads, which is, sodomy.

As for me personally, I don't think I'd be ready for a gay relationship that goes where no woman has gone before, if you catch my drift. Personal preference, perhaps caused by society's prejudist view against messing with yesterday's food.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Are all people bisexual? [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3043056 - 08/24/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think I'd be ready for a gay relationship that goes where no woman has gone before, if you catch my drift

hahah yeah ouch imagine what women would have to go through especially if they took it any way

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3043081 - 08/24/04 06:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i wonder why everyone is always anxious to define sexuality?

well, if i'm gonna do it:
From what I've read, the gag reflex people are talking about here exists in gay people as well. Some more than others. Homosexuality lies in your ability to fall in love and be happy with someone - not whether or not you fuck them. Gay people can also be attracted to members of the opposite sex and often are.. Sometimes, they're the ones who flirt the most with the opposite sex.

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #3043093 - 08/24/04 06:44 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

this seems to sum up everything I was just about to say quite nicely  :thumbup:

it's odd though - a lot of people tend to think I'm gay (just by the way I act, and the fact that I have a lot of femanine qualities, and that I'm real libral when it comes to homosexuality / gender identity issues / and anything else of that nature really, and so on and so forth) but the truth is - I've been in situations before where the opportunity for something like this to happen came up, and nothing ever came of it cause once it reached a certain point those gag reflexes kicked in and I had to remove myself from the situation

and I'm sure that makes me sound all homophobic, or like I'm some closet gay in denile, or whatever...but I really could care less how I come across, cause I know damn well where I stand on the issue and I know damn well people are gonna think whatever it is that they want to think regardless

all I know is that it's one thing to enjoy another person's company, and something completely different all together to want to become intimate with them

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Re: Are all people bisexual? [Re: vampirism]
    #3043094 - 08/24/04 06:45 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think that homosexuality is only about sexual desire for your own sex. I don't see how the ability to have a "platonic" relationship with a member of your sex but no desire to fuck is homosexual. You may aswell call room-mates homosexual by your definition, if they enjoy each others' company and "love" each other.

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Loc: Neverland
    #3043110 - 08/24/04 06:56 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Homosexuality/bisexuality in the modern, post-industrial world is very different to the way it was in the ancient world. It was accepted by the Greeks but the form of it was primarily pedastry (older man with a young boy). It is only really in modern times that people in our huge cities have started 'genuine' relationships with people of the same sex on any substantial scale. It is no longer just about sex but about the lover fulfilling all aspects that a member of the opposite sex would.

I think there are more people who like the idea of bisexual sex than a bisexual relationship. I wouldn't say all people are bisexual though, although maybe they all have the potential to be?

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3043124 - 08/24/04 07:05 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

No, theres a difference between platonic relationships and being head-over-heels over someone. If you cannot make a big *spark* between yourself and a member of the opposite sex, you're probably gay( even though thats not ALWAYS so clear cut )

It is *not* about sexual desire- many gay people are freaked out by the sexual acts.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
    #3043132 - 08/24/04 07:10 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Homosexual -

adj. having or relating to sexual desire to members of one's own sex

n. a person sexually attracted only to members of their own sex

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3043138 - 08/24/04 07:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thats a really, really dumbed down version from a dictionary, however.

My sister was doing tons of research on this, ill get some sources for all the info from her if you'd like, but it may take a while.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
    #3043140 - 08/24/04 07:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think it matters, we're just quibbling over the definition.

You are talking about the broader psychological connotations of being gay, I was just arguing that you were using the word "homosexual" in the wrong way.

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #3043141 - 08/24/04 07:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

It is *not* about sexual desire- many gay people are freaked out by the sexual acts.

I don't believe I've ever come across anyone like that...most gay people I know are more into the sexual experience then they are the actual relationship

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom