Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please)
    #13239147 -

I need your help!

Please note: These questions are aimed at those that DO identify with being an atheist.

This not a debate about the existence of God or scientific evidence, but about the existence of YOU...an Atheist!

I am attempting to accumulate information about how people identify with their atheism, and background information...

If you are willing and able to answer all or any of these questions  I would be greatly appreciative. :yesnod:

* How do you  define yourself as an atheist?
* Do you consider atheism a major part of your identity?
* Were you raised to be an atheist?
* How long have you considered yourself an atheist?
* If you became an atheist, why?
* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?
* Do you think atheism is a "belief system?"
* Do you hold any thoughts you consider "beliefs?"
* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?
* Do you think atheists have specific needs in society?
* Do you have anything else you want to add concerning being an atheist?


--------------------
Goodbye Shroomery.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: figmentfragment]
    #13239204 -

Dont identify with the term as much anymore...I guess I'm now undecided lol. But this is what I would of said if you asked earlier:

* How do you  define yourself as an atheist?
Someone who doesnt believe in God

* Do you consider atheism a major part of your identity?
In a sense because it means I don't "buy in" to alot of the crap that most other people in the world do

* Were you raised to be an atheist?
I was raised to have no beliefs, athiesm was a conclusion I came to myself. I wasn't given a yes or no answer when I asked my parents if there was a God.

* How long have you considered yourself an atheist?
As long as I can remember, it was a long process which lead to identifying with that term. As in I don't ever remember believing in God, just a long process which lead to the decision God doesn't exist. Probably 3-5 years since I started identifying myself with the term and allowing it to influence the way I thought of people and the world/universe in general.

* If you became an atheist, why?
I started identifying with the term athiest when I convinced myself there was no God in the traditional/religious sense

* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?
When asked

* Do you think atheism is a "belief system?"
Nope, its a system of no irrational beliefs (which I now believe to be a belief in itself :crazy2:)

* Do you hold any thoughts you consider "beliefs?"
Nope, my thoughts are based on pure scientific fact as far as I understand it

* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?
Advantaged because it means I'm unrestricted by the laws and philosophies imposed by the church and government (which has been influenced by the church for thousands of years)

* Do you think atheists have specific needs in society?
Nope

* Do you have anything else you want to add concerning being an atheist?
:feelsgoodman:


--------------------
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth, and taste...

:haha:

Edited by lolwut (09/24/10 02:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: lolwut]
    #13239228 -

* How do you  define yourself as an atheist?

I simply see no reason to believe anything that organized religion has attempted to teach me

* Do you consider atheism a major part of your identity?

I suppose, since it allows me to keep an open mind

* Were you raised to be an atheist?

No, my parents took me to church as a kid and I was forced to participate in religious education classes through middle school

* How long have you considered yourself an atheist?

Pretty much figured out that Catholicism was bullshit as soon as I could think for myself

* If you became an atheist, why?

N/A

* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?

Only if they ask

* Do you think atheism is a "belief system?"

Not really.  To me a "belief system" limits someones actions to what's accepted by their peers, but atheism doesn't seem to do this (not as much, anyway)

* Do you hold any thoughts you consider "beliefs?"

Not sure how to answer this.  What's the difference exactly?

* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?

See the "belief system" question

* Do you think atheists have specific needs in society?

I would say atheists are less needy in general :laugh:

* Do you have anything else you want to add concerning being an atheist?

zomg atheism r00lz!!11!!1


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: lolwut]
    #13239229 -

* How do you  define yourself as an atheist?
  I simply don't believe there is a God that created or "saved" humans, nor do I believe in the supernatural, or anything that falls outside the range of science or reason. I think it's possible that there are beings we might consider godlike, but they would have developed naturally, and we might never contact them.

* Do you consider atheism a major part of your identity?
  I think about it a lot, but I don't know how to define my identity.

* Were you raised to be an atheist?
  Nope, and my parents think I'm going to hell when I die.

* How long have you considered yourself an atheist?
  About 5 years.

* If you became an atheist, why?
    Because I realized that the definition of faith is "believing something for no reason."

* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?
    If they ask, though often I use the term "agnostic" because technically I am one. I don't think that there's definitely no god of any kind, though I'm pretty sure the Christian one doesn't exist.

* Do you think atheism is a "belief system?"
    Atheism is one specific belief within the larger set of an individual's metaphysical belief system.

* Do you hold any thoughts you consider "beliefs?"
    I believe reason is our only tool in uncovering the answers to the ultimate questions: who, what, and where are we?

* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?
    Rather than devote my time to grovelling before a god that I find no reason to believe in, I'm able to pursue answers to my questions without hindrance, so that's an advantage. But there are disadvantages in certain social situations.

* Do you think atheists have specific needs in society?
    Less demonizing would be awesome.

* Do you have anything else you want to add concerning being an atheist?
"          "
:wutermelon:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: NetDiver]
    #13239318 -

Quote:
* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?
    If they ask, though often I use the term "agnostic" because technically I am one.



So you think that it is ultimately unknown and unknowable?

Quote:
* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?
  But there are disadvantages in certain social situations.



Are you able to elaborate on this with specific examples please? Have you found yourself being treated poorly for being an atheist etc...


--------------------
Goodbye Shroomery.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: figmentfragment]
    #13239577 -

You should explain what atheist means.  People like to make up special definitions of this word and then not tell anyone when they say "atheist" it really means their top secret special definition.  Otherwise, your going to get a lot of different belief systems which doesn't seem to be your aim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: figmentfragment]
    #13239701 -

Dear FF:

This is not meant to be a smart-ass reply at all. Take all of your questions and apply them to yourself about some entity you do not believe exists and I think you will have answered many of your questions.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: figmentfragment]
    #13239780 -

I don't believe in questionnaires. Do I qualify?:satansmoking:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: Icelander]
    #13239904 -

By merely responding, you have acknowledged the existence of the Almighty Questionaire. :yesnod:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: figmentfragment]
    #13239933 -

* How do you  define yourself as an atheist?

I do not have any positive knowledge of any divine or supernatural being(s) whatsoever.

* Do you consider atheism a major part of your identity?

I consider it to be a somewhat important part of my persona. That is, in my interactions with other people if the conversation turns spiritual (or sometimes philosophical) I consider it important to identify myself to others as an atheist. However, I do not actually consider it to be a very important part of my internal self. I do not often contemplate my atheism while on my own and not considering others.

* Were you raised to be an atheist?

Not really, but we were never a very spiritual family either. My mother did take us to the Unitarian church on Sundays and I remember her listening to a lot of Mary-Ann Williamson tapes, and I think my stepfather might fancy himself some kind of Hindu-Buddhist mongrel. My father also attended Quaker meetings on his own for a while.

* How long have you considered yourself an atheist?

Probably all my life, but I did not self identify as anything at all until age 10, when I learned the definition of atheism and found it suited me.

* If you became an atheist, why?

I don't feel that I became an atheist, I just didn't know that not believing in god had a name. :smile:

* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?

Yes, but only if it feels pertinent to the discussion. I find it rude to rub my personal (dis)beliefs in other people's noses if they aren't soliciting a conversation on the matter.

* Do you think atheism is a "belief system?"

No, I consider atheism to be a rejection of a certain kind of belief, not a belief of anything in itself.

* Do you hold any thoughts you consider "beliefs?"

This depends on the definition of belief. I might say "I believe" or "I know" depending on context. I do not believe in anything based on faith, if that is what is meant.

* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?

Since I consider my atheism mostly an aspect of my persona, I suppose I find it a disadvantage since it is somewhat of a hindrance to social integration, the majority of people being Christian in my part of the world. This does alienate me a little bit.

* Do you think atheists have specific needs in society?

It's a difficult question. I don't think anybody has any rights based upon their religious faith so I suppose I don't think having a lack of faith warrants any special consideration either. In a pragmatic sense if atheists felt more integrated they might be less antagonistic towards those of faith.

* Do you have anything else you want to add concerning being an atheist?

No, I think I've exhausted the issue as it concerns myself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: Boba JFET]
    #13240510 -

Interestingly, so far every resopnder who's identified themselves as an athiest has explained their beliefs such that they are agnostic (or at least have not justified or explained per the questionaire a belief god doesn't exist).

Is this what people view atheism as in this forum or is it just agnostics who are posting (or maybe people who believe god doesn't exist haven't explained that belief per the questionaire)

What do you think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: johnm214]
    #13240627 -

* How do you  define yourself as an atheist?
I don't believe in a physical creator.

* Do you consider atheism a major part of your identity?
No, I used too. My purpose was to let everyone know there was no gee oh dee

* Were you raised to be an atheist?
No

* How long have you considered yourself an atheist?
I now consider myself a spiritualist but before then 4 years.


* If you became an atheist, why?
Discontent with catholic church, rebelling against parents


* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?
"Hi I'm Enpo, I'm an atheist. What's your name?" No but if people start telling me about their god I'll question them. I only tell god I'm an atheist when we go out to dinner.


* Do you think atheism is a "belief system?"
Not really.. I guess it's a really weak one.


* Do you hold any thoughts you consider "beliefs?"
I am one with everything around me. Creation is out of my comprehension and pondering it is a waste of my time. I shall harm no one

* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?
Advantaged

* Do you think atheists have specific needs in society?
Furthering science, destroying some people's egos. Lulz

* Do you have anything else you want to add concerning being an atheist?
Send nudes and your sins will be forgiven

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: figmentfragment]
    #13240682 -

* How do you  define yourself as an atheist?
I don't believe in magic, luck or fairy tales.

* Do you consider atheism a major part of your identity?
Nope, it's like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Not believing in them isn't major, and niether is my non-belief in some god.

* Were you raised to be an atheist?
No, I went to religion school when I was young. Parents were Catholic.

* How long have you considered yourself an atheist?
24+ years, since I was about 12.

* If you became an atheist, why?
I was advanced for my age, and I didn't buy any of the stories they told. I liked science and space and things, and religion just seemed silly and made up.

* Do you tell people that you are an atheist?
If it comes up in conversation... But I also have a T-Shirt that says "Friendly Neighborhood Athiest". :smirk:

* Do you think atheism is a "belief system?"
Not at all, it's the LACK of a belief system. Just like black isn't a color, it's the LACK of all the other colors.

* Do you hold any thoughts you consider "beliefs?"
Not really.

* Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being an atheist?
I think it advantageous not to fall for such silly nonsense. Religious people tend to believe ANYTHING they think is "god's will" amd that's just dumb.

* Do you think atheists have specific needs in society?
We need religious people to practice religion in their own houses. and stop trying to cram it down everyone's throats in PUBLIC schools and PUBLIC buildings.

* Do you have anything else you want to add concerning being an atheist?
I'd like to know why religious prople think THEIR choice is correct and the other 1,000 choices are totally wrong.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: johnm214]
    #13240886 -

johnm214 said:
Interestingly, so far every resopnder who's identified themselves as an athiest has explained their beliefs such that they are agnostic (or at least have not justified or explained per the questionaire a belief god doesn't exist).

Is this what people view atheism as in this forum or is it just agnostics who are posting (or maybe people who believe god doesn't exist haven't explained that belief per the questionaire)

What do you think?



No, atheism is the absence of a belief in god. The greek root is a- meaning without, and theos, meaning god(s). To be atheistic is to be without a belief in god. It does not mean that you have to have a positive belief that there is no god. That might be termed anti-theism.

Atheism could be viewed as a subset of agnosticism. I do not claim agnosticism because I do not, for example, think that god's existence is unknowable, I also do not believe that somebody else may know god but I do not. So I am agnostic, but specifically I am an atheistic agnostic. To me agnosticism is simply too general, so I don't self-identify as one.

Edited by Boba JFET (09/24/10 02:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: Boba JFET] * 1
    #13240961 -

No, Johnm is right.  That is not how atheism is defined.  Words often go beyond their original meaning and root definitions, and atheism is a case of that.  The modern, mainstream definition of atheist is a belief in the absence of god.  The absence of a belief in god is defined as agnostic.  You may not like it, but that is how it is defined.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: DieCommie]
    #13241016 -

DieCommie said:
No, Johnm is right.  That is not how atheism is defined.  Words often go beyond their original meaning and root definitions, and atheism is a case of that.  The modern, mainstream definition of atheist is a belief in the absence of god.  The absence of a belief in god is defined as agnostic.  You may not like it, but that is how it is defined.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

"Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities."

S: (n) atheism (a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods)

A common misunderstanding does not a revised definition make. Atheism does not necessarily entail a positive belief that there is no god, never has, and people who think that about atheism don't understand what the word means.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: Boba JFET]
    #13241158 -

You conveniently left off the second sentence.  "In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2]"

This is the definition that I see the vast majority of atheists hold, and define their atheism by.

In any case the word should be carefully defined when having a philosophical discussion like this.  I would have chimed in, but I consider myself agnostic so the title forbade me to.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: DieCommie]
    #13241222 -

DieCommie said:
You conveniently left off the second sentence.  "In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2]"

This is the definition that I see the vast majority of atheists hold, and define their atheism by.

In any case the word should be carefully defined when having a philosophical discussion like this.  I would have chimed in, but I consider myself agnostic so the title forbade me to.



I didn't omit that passage out of convenience, I omitted it out of irrelevance. I do not deny that a positive belief that there is no god is a kind of atheism. It is merely a subset of atheism, but when we are talking about the whole set of beliefs which would constitute atheism, the most inclusive definition is the one which makes sense. If you say I am not atheist because I do not have a positive belief that there is no god, then I can easily refute that.

When you can make a substantiated claim about what "the vast majority" (really? did you do a study?) of atheists hold as a belief, then I'll listen. Until then, I think you should can it with the wild speculations based wholly on your personal connotations of a very well-defined (actually self-defined since its etymology is so clear) word.

Edited by Boba JFET (09/24/10 03:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: Boba JFET]
    #13241284 -

Quote:
When you can make a substantiated claim about what "the vast majority" (really? did you do a study?) of atheists hold as a belief, then I'll listen.



Its just what I have observed, bro.  From what I have observed in my life, from my daily interactions to the posts on this forum atheists define their belief as a belief that there is no god.  No, I did not conduct a study - that would be ridiculous.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: questionnaire for atheists...(atheist only please) [Re: johnm214]
    #13241396 -

I have defined the term atheist many times. But it isn't necessary for this thread.

I AM looking for individualistic responses to compare and contrast. I do not want to tell people what it means to them. Thank you.


--------------------
Goodbye Shroomery.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Atheist Website responds to Christian Letter
( 1 2 all )
Swami 4,275 20 06/22/03 03:55 PM
by Sclorch
* Atheism.
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
evilchipmunk 8,244 90 07/26/04 09:58 AM
by Hanky
* Atheism vs Agnosticism
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
SkorpivoMusterion 7,731 113 02/10/06 11:21 AM
by BlueCoyote
* Thoughts on Atheism, and Nolabelism Amnesiac 888 6 05/13/03 11:58 PM
by Amnesiac
* Christianity, Colonialism, Capitalism and Islam. atomikfunksoldier 2,091 14 07/14/03 07:44 AM
by gnrm23
* For Atheists...
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Cracka_X 7,520 109 07/25/06 07:14 PM
by cloudtop
* Famous Atheist Now Believes in God
( 1 2 3 all )
EgoTripping 5,797 58 12/13/04 04:18 AM
by Diploid
* I want you guys to understand Christian Judgment
( 1 2 3 4 all )
World Spirit 5,298 65 05/05/03 09:33 PM
by CosmicJoke

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,300 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 30 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.