Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHBS
Male

Comments on Fliquid's posting ...
    #880071 - 09/12/02 09:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

While I myself don't believe in a god of any kind (except nature AS "god") ... I am willing to accept the POSSIBILITY of the existance of "concensus god" or any other kind ... I am always open to new possibilities, but will NOT stand for people pushing their beliefs on me or on others.

Fliquid, this is where you go wrong. You are trying to spread your beliefs like anti-drug propoganda. Instead of saying "These are my beliefs", you go out and say "These are my beliefs and if you don't agree then you're wrong." I think it's stupid and elitist to say that you are right and others are wrong when the subject in question is so subjective, and can be backed by NO pure evidence.

You are turning what could be a nice open discussion into a thread of endless flames, all regarding why you are "right." You are not right. I am not right. Nobody is "right." There is only the perception and consensus agreement of "right and wrong." Till the day I have any sense or evidence of a god of conventional means, I will not believe in one or base my life around one. HOWEVER, this does not mean I have the right to go around and tell other people off for believing in god.

If you think people who believe in god are wrong, then obviously you are just as closed-minded as anybody is.

This thread is not an attack on you in any way, rather it is a general comment on pushing beliefs on others, be it pushing god or a lack thereof.

Discussing religion should be an open topic ... if you close it off by saying "This is this and that's the end" then there is no reason to want to reply to the post, because it just shows a lack of an open mind and rather a mind of ignorance.

Anyway, this is an open comment, I hope this didn't offend you or anybody, I just feel that such topics should be viewed with a more clear head.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: HB]
    #880138 - 09/12/02 10:05 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

If you think people who believe in god are wrong, then obviously you are just as closed-minded as anybody is.

Well said. I'd give you five shrooms but I already did for your artwork. I'll sit in my computer chair and clap instead.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#880146 - 09/12/02 10:11 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

you are right about the close-mindedness
(not referring to fliquid here :smile:)

i mean when the God discussions come up they do seem to turn to mindless rants pretty fast, and I myself can feel my mind starting to close off as the biased part of me just wants to say "no there is no silly christian god, shutup" and we all seem to pull each other down into this hole..

some of us seem to really want that comfort of 'knowing' the answers to the unknown. but when we let go of that need, we sit back and realize that nobody REALLY knows the truth, theyve all just molded their brains into thinking a certain way so they can be more at ease...

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #880147 - 09/12/02 10:11 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

lol thats good! i wish you had a webcam hehehe

im gonna give you 5 shrooms blue... not only for your artwork...

--------------------

OfflineHBS
Male

Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: In(di)go]
    #880167 - 09/12/02 10:21 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks much ...

When I was young I grew up in a household where every fucking person would be so grounded in their own beliefs that they would kick and scream (quite literally) till you just gave up and "agreed" with them. I never had any way to express myself or my beliefs without being attacked and being told why I am wrong ... discussion was not a possibility, no matter the subject, it would be an ego-driven heated debate/war, much like I've been seeing on here when relating to religion.

When you approach topics this controversial, going in with a gun to kill people with differing opinions is, to put it bluntly, stupid ...

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #880346 - 09/12/02 12:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I grew up in a household with no belief at all. Mom was an atheist til her dying day,: Dad's mind is failing, but his Masonic trip seems to be useless at the end of his days. I fought for Spirit like a drowning man fights for air (same word in Greek!) I'll condemn/judge no man...that is God's prerogative. But I can't stand a liar above all things (except perhaps a murderer). The man who says there is no ULTIMATE REALITY - personal or impersonal - is just a liar or a madman. It takes a madman to be a liar, because Ultimate Reality=Truth, and thus, to deny Ultimate Truth is to be the ultimate liar. What? Eternity is not Real? Infinity is only a mathematical concept? These qualities are not experiential? Bullshit! You are free of your family's pathology, but your freedom is rooted in TRUTH.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (09/12/02 12:31 PM)

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Loc: ghetto# 03479
Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #880465 - 09/12/02 01:34 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

what exactly in the hell are you talking about, MArk?

A) i doubt you know alot about mathematics. relativity and quantuum theories would tend to indicate that there is in fact NO absolute truth/reality only innumberable points of view.

B) nothing you said made much sense. even if there is this ULTIMATE TRUTH as you say, i don't suppose you are egomaniacal enough to think you have obtained it? in fact you probably would admit that it is unattainable? ok then.

--------------------
All refrences to and statements concerning mushrooms, mushroom cultivation, and mushroom related paraphrenalia refer specifically to the cultivation of legal species.

Anonymous

#880602 - 09/12/02 02:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Little bit o' passion there Markos.  That is good to see. :smile:

Cheers,

Offlinebluesky
mushroom cowboy

Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: ]
    #880618 - 09/12/02 02:55 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I remember once asking my mom if god was real, I swear Ive never seen her get that mad before. She isnt THAT religeous, but I was pretty young at the time and I guess that I wasnt supposed to start thinking on my own until later in my life. After I said that, she yelled at me some and started reading me some stories out of the bible. Man was she paniced. Dont get me wrong, I believe in a certian god, but the belief is more of an idea, and you all know the difference between the two.

--------------------
You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day,
Lord you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way. Turn your love my waaaaaay, Yea.
-Richard (Dickey) Betts

OfflineHBS
Male

Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: vaporbrains]
    #880698 - 09/12/02 03:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Supposedly, according to quantum theory, all matter and negative space in the universe somehow fits in an equation that sets it all equal to zero, so therefore everything = nothing and everything = everything ... so while it's an oxymoron, it somehow works out both ways so that while there is an infinite amount of possibilities, that infinite amount equals nothing anyway.

Whether that's true or not, it's still an interesting theory.  Helps explain the possible beginning of the universe, by stating that everything came out of nothing since everything equals nothing.  :smirk:

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#880707 - 09/12/02 03:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i'd just like to take this chance to say... your posts mean nothing to me. but please, take the equation into consideration before making any interpretations
:grin: 

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: Smack31]
    #880900 - 09/12/02 05:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I was brought up to be a strong Catholic, i was enrolled in a catholic school in Kindergarden. I guess i was born stubbern, cause i would not let them tell me what to believe and for that i was the black sheep and also 2 other of my friends. Its fucked up how living in the bible belt, i couldn' talk to anyone about not believing in the Christian ways. To this fucking day, my 2nd to last day in High School (Last March). After i took my finial the teacher and 2 other students came to me and LITERALLY told me i was going to be in pain and go to hell if i didn't come to christ. For that i disbelieve in most of all christian believes.....But i do "believe" in something, i just don't know what it is. But for some reason i know its not (in my opinion) Christian. Btw i was me and my friends were kicked out of Scacred Heart School In 6th grade. That was the best move of my life. Sadly that Catholic Comunitee was my hell hole.

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: GrowingVines]
    #881190 - 09/13/02 01:03 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That is really shitty dude..

I have a hard enough time shaking christianity madness out of my head and I was brought up on it pretty lightly.. just had to go to church and sunday school...
some of these people seem to be incredibly dangerous molesters of the mind..
i dont see much of a difference between feeding that intolerant religious shit into a young child, or doing something physically scarring like giving him cigarette burns
sad...

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: In(di)go]
    #881316 - 09/13/02 02:40 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

im gonna give you 5 shrooms blue... not only for your artwork...

It's for his penis, right?

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineBullfrog1
Discovery BeyondImagination

#881590 - 09/13/02 09:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Agree,
Now look at my post and "KNOW THE TRUE WAY"...hehehe.

No, really. I don't post here often, but I was thrilled when I read the article in my post >Argument by Design

Bullfrog

--------------------

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #881647 - 09/13/02 10:20 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

uuuuuuuuuh yeah it's nice and big!  :shocked: but... how the hell did YOU know... hey blue! have you been flashing your penis to other people???  :mad:

j/k

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Comments on Fliquid's posting ... [Re: vaporbrains]
    #882241 - 09/13/02 03:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I'm not gonna compare Einstein's General vs. his Special Theory of relativity just to counter you; neither will I dicuss the Planck Constant, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, the Lorentz Contraction or Schroedinger's Cat. I wish Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung would've completed their work on the co-extensive nature of space-time and psyche, but Jung died. BTW, you are comparing two entirely different 'Sets,' to use a Venn diagrammatic model. The Absolute of Metaphysics is, a priori, that is, literally, prior to physics. Physics may have an Absolute, say 10 to the minus 43rd power - you know, the Fiat Lux! - 'Let There Be Light,' Big Bang event. Or maybe just Constants like the Speed of Light.

The Absolute of the philosophers' is the God of believers, and God IS accessible, or what's the point. You are obviously outside of a faith-stance looking in, so you do not experience the workings of Grace; the results of different forms of prayer; or even ecstatic states that yield peace, faith and gnosis. I do have a Masters degree in theology, which makes me something of a theologian; and with 30 years of psychedelic experience, my theology is clearly mystical. I claim no status as a Prophet, but as those familiar with my posts may concede, I have acquired 'some' degree of mystical knowledge, or Gnosis, in addition to my basic faith. Anything Else?

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineuno
enthusiast

#892724 - 09/19/02 08:04 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

As a tangent, isn't the speed of light not always a constant? I thought that it could be altered by things like intense gravitational fields.

--------------------
- uno

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology