Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul
    #4481776 - 08/01/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Here's more in the never-ending stream of evidence that we are the net sum of our neurons and nothing more.

Try this:

1.  While  sitting  at  your desk, lift your right foot off the
floor and make clockwise circles.

2.  Now,  while doing this, draw the number "6" in the air with
your right hand.

Your foot will change direction.

This happens because the impetus to move your foot and arm comes from a sequence of neurological steps originating in your motor cortex that have wired themselves up in a certain way from long repetition of arm and leg movements required in daily life.

There is no ethereal, incorporeal soul involved or your will would have manifest as you intended rather than as it did. :syringe:

See my other thread:The Neurological Origin Of Free Will for more.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: Diploid]
    #4481797 - 08/01/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So by illustrating that the body is governed by certain neurological laws somehow proves we have no soul?

What/whose notion of "soul" exactly are you disproving?

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: Diploid]
    #4481801 - 08/01/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well then, case closed.

InvisibletrendalM
Jā™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4481820 - 08/01/05 05:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Define "soul", then maybe your experiment will disprove the existence of said soul. :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: trendal]
    #4481829 - 08/01/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

HEY THAT'S WHAT I SAID

But yes, this is a very common error among those attempting to disprove aspects of divinity.

More so common with God. They point out some "obvious" contradiction in usually ethics, then claim that it disproves God. They never make a point to define what God is, and all the aspects of it, including those responsible for the contradiction.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4481850 - 08/01/05 05:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

so cute you are! take the 3 hour drive and come up and watch me do it. It takes about 10 seconds to think to occupy to spaces of consciousness then its easy.

Occupying two spaces of consciousness at the same may be proof of something more.

Whatever. :lol:

For the adept take your ego mind and start rotating the leg and set it to auto pilot. Then move into your observer mind and start drawing the 6 with your hand.

Childs play dip!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4481854 - 08/01/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well, even if you look at things from a strictly scientific point of view, I think the biochemical wonder that is our brain is still pretty amazing.....

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: spud]
    #4481876 - 08/01/05 05:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

somehow proves we have no soul?

Eh, outside of mathematics, I *NEVER* claim proof of anything, only mounting evidence. But at some point, you have to say that if it walks, flaps, and quacks like a duck, it probably is.

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4481899 - 08/01/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The larger the 6 you make the harder it is to overcome the bias, but even then it's pretty much childs play.  :cool: Rub your tummy, pat your head.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#4481900 - 08/01/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The Bible no where states that the soul could surpass human pre-set biological functions and neurological laws.

Your point is completely null.

If anything it supports the idea of intelligent design.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4481940 - 08/01/05 05:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This is not evidence that refutes the existence of a soul anymore than windows locking up refutes the existence of someone operating a computer.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: trendal]
    #4481981 - 08/01/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Define "soul", then maybe your experiment will disprove the existence of said soul.

Well, last time I tried to do that, I was told by one person that I pulled the notion of what a soul is out of my ass (nevermind that the ass is where everyone else pulls the notion of what a soul is) and by at least 6 other mystic types that my definition was wrong and each gave me a new, different, and conflicting 'correct' definition for what a soul is.

Remember this?:
Neurological Science And Evidence Of The Non-Existence Of A Soul

So, in the end, I have to draw a line in the sand and pick a definition: the incorporeal, mystical, metaphysical thingie from which springs forth everything your personality manifests in the physical world.

How's that?

My contention is that there is no such thingie and the ME and YOU participating in this discussion are created, in toto, by a complex of ordinary biochemical phenomena in your brain.

Given enough time, we will reproduce consciousness using technology. What of the soul then?

There is nothing metaphysical about consciousness and every month or so I post another discovery in the discipline of neurological science that supports this conclusion. How much evidence is required before people will let go of the egocentric idea that we're somehow special in the universe? When will people realize that suggesting consciousness is somehow apart (metaphysical) from the world is like the outdated notion that the Earth is at the center of the universe?  :syringe:

--------------------
Republican Values:

Edited by Diploid (08/01/05 07:34 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4481990 - 08/01/05 05:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

come up and watch me do it.

Promise?  :grin:

--------------------
Republican Values:

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#4481996 - 08/01/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The anime movie Ghost in the Shell deals with that very topic. And does so nicely.

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4482001 - 08/01/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

That and, like, as stated before in this thread and stuff, it's pretty easy to do, you know?

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Try This At Home: More Neurological Evidence Refuting The Existence Of A Soul [Re: spud]
    #4482012 - 08/01/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

it isn't hard at all...

worst that happened was my foot's rotation got slightly jerky at first...

like someone said, 'rub your tummy, pat your head' stuff.

(guess I have a soul... :grin:)

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4482032 - 08/01/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Come on man, I know you are a realist/skeptic, but your reasoning here is flawed. This is not evidence for or against the existance of the soul. This just proves we have an organism controlled by various biological process' This has no bearing on the spirit.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ā€• Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4482040 - 08/01/05 05:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"Given enough time, we will reproduce consciousness using technology. What of the soul then?"

If there is a spirit in concious entities and we create one...well, it will likely have a spirit, but once again there will be no way to prove it.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ā€• Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4482056 - 08/01/05 05:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:rolleyes:

I did it just fine.. no change of direction

I can rub my belly and tap my head too :grin:

Then again.. I am left handed.. maybe only left handed people have souls?

--------------------

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4482068 - 08/01/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This doesn't even work. I just drew a 6 with no effort at all. Foot stayed happy as a clam.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures