Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
DNA - Design - (Wild)Life / Possibillities Within Life....
    #4312583 - 06/19/05 01:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Think about all of the different characteristics/abilities/traits that individual species of animals & insects have - making it known within our given scientific "reality" what is actually possible within life's "provable" "boundaries"....   

Flying - Swimming - Burrowing - Environmental Adaptation - Toxin/Venom Creating - Organizing/Colonization - Playing - Timing(migration) - Communicating - Creating Shelter - Scent Creation - Color Schemes - Experimenting - Electricity Creating - LIGHT Creating - Freezing & Un-thawing (alive) - Using Tools - Creating Traps - Organized Attacks - Nurturing/Protecting - Body part Regeneration - Some metamorphisize into completely Different physical "Beings" - etc. etc....

Some birds can dive into water and swim, and some fish have wings and can fly out of water....  But just here thinking, it would seem that the water dwellers and the insects seem to have the more wide variety of "extraordinary" traits....  But through all of these "examples" of what life CAN do as "instructed" by a code of DNA, and that is all we "know".... 

So, one can say/argue that the DNA code is by design of God, or that it systematically built itself thru evolution(manifesting/creating/designing itself, all by itself?)....  It sounds strange to just say "Hey, that life form just created itself"....  And then one can ask "when" is the evolutionary process really truly "done" evolving (presumably, never?)....?    Especially now that man has stepped in, and can to some degree manipulate "natural" evolution by creating hybrids - (in my ignorance, I think this is mainly in the plant world?)....  I have got to think that there are Labs out there that are messing with other sorts of DNA Life form "designing/manipulation" to some extent....?   

So, what would happen if in some point in time Man got to the point of truly understanding and manipulating DNA and genetics to "Evolve" a hybrid form of human to have some of those "extraordinary" traits of some of the other lifeforms on this planet....?    Would "normal" people without these new human abilities fear such an "evolution" of a more "capable" humans....? 

Or, is this all "non-sense" because man will prolly~ never truly "understand" the DNA code enough to calculate and truly "design" different forms of life....?

I dunno~ where I am going with all of this....!?  :crazy2:
I just started typing....  :shrug:

I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
Re: DNA - Design - (Wild)Life / Possibillities Within Life.... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #4312602 - 06/19/05 01:48 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

All the sci-fi movies I've ever seen indicate revolution. My genes are already doing me well enough. Any kids I have will just suffer though.

Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: DNA - Design - (Wild)Life / Possibillities Within Life.... [Re: orechron]
    #4312656 - 06/19/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Who knows, I don't, I cannot tell how far science will go. But looking at things today, how so many specialized animals bread in emphasis of certain genes, well it turns out twas at the expense of other more generally important genes. Lots of farm animals, domesticated pets, and other inbred animals cannot lead normal lives, they could never survive in the wild, and simply cannot function because in our ignorance we bred them that way. Hopefully we'll do a better job with humans, and a better one with animals as well.

User Gallery

Re: DNA - Design - (Wild)Life / Possibillities Within Life.... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #4313163 - 06/19/05 07:26 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I tell you what. The programming language of nature most surely is interesting (DNA). When you macro-visualize our Earth you can see how most amazing it is, almost as if it were designed :P

Humans ARE able to manipulate and understand the structures of DNA. Hell we created a polio virus in a lab starting with NOTHING. Creating our own animals, our own human traits, etc... is not an impossibility; in fact I think we could do it right now.

The turn of the century is dawning, and with science as our religion, the stars are our limits. But with the primitive mindsets and thought forms of many, our learning is inhibited by silly quickly wrought legislations. Your assumptions are correct... the God fearing people will fear nature (especially if we try to contour its will).

Ramble on, this subject fascinates me :smile:

As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology