Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
DNA
    #2868844 - 07/08/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Timothy Leary seemed to practically idolize DNA...

What do you think about its significance?

-ergot :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: DNA [Re: ergot]
    #2868850 - 07/08/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think it is of little to no signifigance whatsoever. It serves no purpose and might as well be ignored. :mad:

:lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#2868919 - 07/08/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: DNA [Re: ergot] * 1
    #2869005 - 07/08/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

leary's best insight was enthusiasm itself.
particularly for LSD which is a good thing in itself.

most people have no clue about DNA
they should stick with basic heredity concepts like
genes and chromosomes.

I have heard a lot of really confused stuff suggesting that a person's mind can modify their own DNA, sheesh! dumb...

there is other stuff to get excited about - even stuff we don't understand but this is wrong.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2869386 - 07/08/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Understanding DNA brings mankind closer to refining his quality of life.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2874958 - 07/10/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Significance with respect to what?

DNA encodes genetic information.

Your question is too vague.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2875017 - 07/10/04 02:43 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you are speaking of Leary's fascination with it I agree with fireworks_god.

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2875067 - 07/10/04 03:05 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What amazes me about DNA is how simple it is. Its as if humans are just the result of the thermodynamics of the universe.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #2875659 - 07/10/04 12:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Uh, spiral out, keep going.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: DNA [Re: Adamist]
    #2875994 - 07/10/04 03:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

how is DNA simple?

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
Re: DNA [Re: DF2K]
    #2876002 - 07/10/04 03:42 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The way it functions is just basic chemistry. A series of complementary bases held to gether by a phosphate backbone and folded into a double-helical structure by the nature of the bonds and electron repulsions. The DNA itself simply produces proteins.

If it were overly complicated how would we be able to make tobacco plants that glow in the dark? :p

Invisibletoad857
President of theUnited States

#2876063 - 07/10/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, very simple..

4 different letters account for the infinite variation that distinguishes a bacterium from a giraffe.

CRRRRRAZY!!!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: DNA [Re: Blue_Apocalypse]
    #2878471 - 07/11/04 05:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"The way it functions is just basic chemistry. A series of complementary bases held to gether by a phosphate backbone and folded into a double-helical structure by the nature of the bonds and electron repulsions. The DNA itself simply produces proteins."

Come on people THINK! This is NOT SIMPLE.

Tell me how DNA knows what to do.... How did we get Human DNA from little microbes in the ocean?

I think the key to the mysteries behind evolution are held within the workings of DNA.

What direction is DNA evolving? How? Why? Do you think it is possible to even find this out? If we found out which direction human DNA was headed, could we use technology to speed up the process?

This is not simple. Tell me oh wise one where DNA came from? Tell me how a mere chemical reaction led to the invention of the internet and human space-travel.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisibletoad857
President of theUnited States

Re: DNA [Re: Strumpling]
    #2879018 - 07/11/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Strumpling said:
Tell me how DNA knows what to do....

DNA itself does not know what to do. Think of DNA as a long list of instructions. These instructions are 'unzipped' and fed into proteins specifically made for decoding DNA. These proteins read the DNA 'instructions' and from them assemble amino acids. (This is why the process is officially called "translation of DNA")
The amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins, are assembled piece by piece into proteins which make up lots of stuff.

Quote:

Strumpling said:
How did we get Human DNA from little microbes in the ocean?

the little microbes in the ocean, through a long series of selection, genetic variation, and breeding, eventually evolved into other things.

Quote:

Strumpling said:
I think the key to the mysteries behind evolution are held within the workings of DNA.

you're right, they are.

Quote:

Strumpling said:
What direction is DNA evolving? How? Why? Do you think it is possible to even find this out? If we found out which direction human DNA was headed, could we use technology to speed up the process?

the way DNA evolves does not have a specific 'direction'. DNA fragments are altered randomly. these little alterations make up different instructions for the 'builder proteins' to decode, which gives us genetic variation (this is why you don't look exactly like your parents). The way that these pieces are altered is completely random and we have no way to forsee how they will change.

speed up the process? well, that's what happens when DNA is exposed to conditions that cause it to alter itself more often. for example, exposing cells to massive doses of radiation will alter the sequence of many DNA strands, causing more variation than usual.
this is already happening in some areas. some farmers will 'treat' thousands of corn kernals to massive radiation. these seeds are then planted. some seeds die, some live, some are unique and grow an extra two feet taller than a normal corn plant. These 'monster plants' are then breeded to give us more corn (err.. to make the farmers more money, duh)... yummy!

Quote:

Strumpling said:
This is not simple. Tell me oh wise one where DNA came from? Tell me how a mere chemical reaction led to the invention of the internet and human space-travel.

are you familiar with how evolution works? i think everyone should know. take, for example, two apple trees. one tree grows red apples and the other grows dark purple ones.
apple trees spread their seeds by 'hiding' them inside tasty fruit. animals eat the fruit, spit out the seeds (they taste bad and are poisonous), and the seeds grow into new trees. now--which apple tree will have more seeds spread, the purple or red? animals are less likely to see the purple trees and will more often eat from teh red apple tree. viola! after many generations, fewer and fewer purple trees exist because the red ones are takin over---->evolution.

it's no wonder why humans have been able to take over the planet. through a series of wild and crazy DNA variations, humans have evolved from small organisms into super-intelligent monkeys (because we are more likely to survive/reproduce as intelligent monkeys than stupid monkeys).

The invention of the internet etc are the results of mankind, not DNA. DNA can't code instructions to assemble a space ship.

Where DNA came from? wow good question. there are some theories around, but to put is short--nobody knows.

Hope that helps.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: DNA [Re: toad857]
    #2879337 - 07/11/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"Think of DNA as a long list of instructions."

Right.. how do these instructions change over time? What's editing these instructions?

"DNA fragments are altered randomly."

By randomly, you mean in ways that cannot yet be predicted.

"are you familiar with how evolution works?"

Science has no idea how evolution works. I mean yes obviously the white rabbit is more successful in the snow, and the brown rabbit is more successful in the woods, because a brown rabbit in the snow would be more noticeable and more likely to get its ass kicked/killed, therefore not creating offspring.

You are still missing my inquiry though as to where these mutations come from. You claim it is "completely random." I don't really believe in random processes; it just doesn't make sense. In my opinion everything that ever happens occurs as a direct result of everything that happened just before....

I don't feel this is "random" at all - I just feel we haven't figured out the causes and effects at play here.

But I'll agree to disagree with you on this.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #2879515 - 07/11/04 10:42 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"DNA itself does not know what to do. Think of DNA as a long list of instructions. These instructions are 'unzipped' and fed into proteins specifically made for decoding DNA. These proteins read the DNA 'instructions' and from them assemble amino acids. "

ok, good analogy, but heres the problem. When we 'unzip' a file and extract the data, we know that some person, a computer engineer or something, was the one who put that data there originally.

So if DNA is a bunch of instructions for development, who or what wrote those instructions?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: DNA [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2879525 - 07/11/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
So if DNA is a bunch of instructions for development, who or what wrote those instructions?

Fine, fine.... if you really want to know....

It was me. :evil:

:grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisibletrendal Happy BirthdayM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2879551 - 07/11/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Right.. how do these instructions change over time? What's editing these instructions?

The DNA molecule (actually, a macromolecule) is very suceptible to certain forms of damage. Ionizing radiation can snap the strand in half, or knock off parts of it. Chemicals (especially free-radicals) can pull the strand apart by tearing some of the atoms out of the strand. Virus' can insert their own sections of DNA (actually, RNA) into the strand. The cell itself has a variety of ways to deal with this damage. The (hopefully) result is the strand being put back together with the proper sequence still intact. Usually if repair is not successful or not possible and the damage causes the DNA to stop working properly the cell will self-distruct ("cell suicide") to avoid such things as cancer (which is what happens when DNA is damaged and the cell does not suicide). If the strand is damaged and not repaired properly, but still remains functional with the new sequencing, it is said to have mutated...and it is this mutation that is believed to cause evolution to occur over millions of years.

By randomly, you mean in ways that cannot yet be predicted.

Yes. It is impossible to determine beforehand what type of damage the DNA will receive in its lifetime or what the result of that damage will be.

Science has no idea how evolution works.

Yes, actually, it does. See above...

You are still missing my inquiry though as to where these mutations come from.

See above...

I don't really believe in random processes; it just doesn't make sense. In my opinion everything that ever happens occurs as a direct result of everything that happened just before....

I don't feel this is "random" at all - I just feel we haven't figured out the causes and effects at play here.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around here about the concept of "random".

You are entirely correct (I think) in saying that everything which happens is a result of everything that happened "before" it. I have never seen anything to disprove Causality in this Universe. That does not remove the concept of randomness from the picture, though. When a DNA strand breaks, it breaks for a very specific reason (virus, free-radical, energetic radiation, ect) but the exact location of the break as well as the result of the break are certainly "random" in effect :wink:

--------------------
Like my post? Hit me up!
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: DNA [Re: trendal]
    #2879560 - 07/11/04 11:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting stuff! I've learned a lot about DNA in this thread, tusen takk. :thumbup:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisibletrendal Happy BirthdayM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: DNA [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2879571 - 07/11/04 11:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

DNA is an excellent example of self-organizing systems. An unwound strand of DNA is a simple string of two-letter codes (GT or AC). When the strand winds up, it does so in a very specific configuration which depends on the ordering of the base-pair "codes", because of the way the chemicals along the strand interact with eachother.

DNA is just chemistry on a very complex, abstracted level. If you understand chemistry, you are not far off from understanding how the DNA macromolecule orders itself and functions within a cell.

--------------------
Like my post? Hit me up!
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology