Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story.
    #3346507 - 11/11/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe, people just gave up reading his thread, but he just posted this and I thought it was to beautiful a message to be missed. If you just readf his last reply about Teddy, just ignore this.
Here is what he posted;

As she stood in front of her 5th grade class on the very first day of school, she told the children an untruth. Like most teachers, she looked at her students and said that she loved them all the same. However, that was impossible, because there in the front row, slumped in his seat, was a little boy named Teddy.

Mrs. Thompson noticed that he did not play well with the other children, that his clothes were messy and that he constantly needed a bath. In addition, Teddy could be unpleasant. It got to the point where Mrs. Thompson would actually take delight in marking his papers with a broad red pen, making bold X's and then putting a big "F" at the top of his papers.

At the school where Mrs. Thompson taught, she was required to review each child's past records and she put Teddy's off until last. However, when she reviewed his file, she was in for a surprise.

Teddy's first grade teacher wrote, "Teddy is a bright child with a ready laugh. He does his work neatly and has
good manners.... he is a joy to be around.."

His second grade teacher wrote, "Teddy is an excellent student, well liked by his classmates, but he is troubled because his mother has a terminal illness and life at home must be a struggle."

His third grade teacher wrote, "His mother's death has been hard on him. He tries to do his best, but his father doesn't show much interest and his home life will soon affect him if some steps aren't taken."

Teddy's fourth grade teacher wrote, "Teddy is withdrawn and doesn't show much interest in school. He doesn't have many friends and he sometimes sleeps in class."

By now, Mrs. Thompson realized the problem and she was ashamed of herself. She felt even worse when her students brought her Christmas presents, wrapped in beautiful ribbons and bright paper, except for Teddy's. His present was clumsily wrapped in the heavy, brown paper that he got from a grocery bag. Mrs. Thompson took pains to open it in the middle of the other presents. Some of the children started to laugh when she found a rhinestone bracelet with some of the stones missing, and a bottle that was one-quarter full of perfume.. But she stifled the children's laughter when she exclaimed how pretty the bracelet was, putting it on, and dabbing some of the perfume on her wrist.

Teddy Stoddard stayed after school that day just long enough to say, "Mrs. Thompson, today you smelled just like my Mom used to." After the children left, she cried for at least an hour.

On that very day, she quit teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. Instead, she began to teach children.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3346652 - 11/11/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think this story really caught my attention because someone was getting on me for why I only give out 5 mushroom ratings.

I don't want to be the teacher who delights in handing out Bs, Cs, Ds, and Fs to everyone I find offensive just because I ddn't bother to take the time to get to know the history behind them to understand them better.

Everyone you find offensive has a story behind them. And once you seek and come to understand it, you'll no longer delight in giving them less then marks that go on their permenant record. You'll delight only in helping them to see the A, 5 mushroom rating IN them.

I'm not guilt trippen on anyone who has ever given anyone any less. free will to do as you please was already for-given of you. If after reading this, you have a change of heart, then all you need to do is allow yourself to accept forgiveness of yourself for making rash or harsh judgments before seeking to understand ones history that explains them, which will make it easy for you to forgive them in turn too.

If you feel great about your less then ratings to others even still, well...just hope then that your life isn't filled with teachers like yourself.

People running around who offend you, don't want your negative attention and judgment. They want you to see and understand their pain and struggles and don't know how to be seen and heard or ask for help, mostly because from the negative judgments, they grow to feel they are not worthy or deserving of it. That'll only make their offensive behavior get worse and worse.

They really want compassion like we all do! Compassion =fellow feeling= understanding each other as ourselves.  :heartpump:

How good would it feel to go to even one person you gave a bad rating to and switch it to a 5 and just rewrite in, "because of the potential in you, you deserve a 5"

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (11/11/04 03:11 PM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3347715 - 11/11/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:smile:

Jiggy rocks. Hey, I wonder if I've given you a rating yet... *wanders off to check*

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3347823 - 11/11/04 06:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

wellllll, I think you rock :rockon:

*checks to see if I've given you a rating yet*

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3348139 - 11/11/04 08:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with the main point of SpaceDragon's post and your addendum to SpaceDragon's post. It is hard to try to keep in mind that people who act shitty usually do so because people have acted shitty to them in the past. We always see the current person, their current personality, and just go off that and react to that, but it always helps to understand a person's past.

As far as the ratings go....I gave Luvdemshrooms a 2 once cause he said the New Deal hurt America. That was the stupidest thing I've ever read by someone on the internet. Ever. I give out a ton of negative ratings. I think one of the reasons I do this is because so many people are like you and only give out 5s, so it needs balancing or else the whole ratings system doesn't really mean anything. But I'm not kidding myself, the ratings system doesn't mean anything anyhow and there's nothing me or you can do to change that. Everyone is either a 4 or a 5 (very good or best). Negative ratings are also funner than positive ratings. It's all a laugh anyway. Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. If you are worried about your rating in an internet community then you need to get more shit going on in your real life.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3348199 - 11/11/04 08:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:
  Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics.  If you are worried about your rating in an internet community then you need to get more shit going on in your real life.

The special olympics part had me rollllllllllllllllin with laughter.

I was using our "grading system" as a real life example people could relate too "and" practice acting on if they wished. If not, all is forgiven of us anyway and ya, shroomery ratings and arguments are really "speccial".  :crazy2:

You're funny! :thumbup: :heart:

If our idea of balance is a 2.5, I think it should be 5, then we can shift into the 2.5 to 7.5 range and up the octive.

I was thinking about this today, how balance and a point of center is even relative from person to person.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3349029 - 11/11/04 11:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, that's the tragedy of humanity- that when people are done wrong they do wrong in return. And they do it reflexively. That's why Jesus said "Turn the other cheek." [Probably the single hardest truth to accept and carry out in the Bible].Just like when you hit an animal, what does it do? It attacks you without thought. This leads to a downward spiral- just look at the Middle East if you want to see what our world would look like if everyone reacted that way. What we call "evil" (and I wish there was a less loaded word for it) doesn't occur in a vacuum.

Talking about negative ratings, I never give them out for someone merely stating an opinion contrary to mine- political or otherwise. (To me that's not cool and a sign of weakness). But if they do it in a nasty way I might consider it. I've only given one negative rating since the rating system went into effect and it didn't do a damn bit of good!

Negative reinforcement rarely works because as I said earlier, people return wrong with wrong reflexively. And the eventual recipient of the backlash may not even be the intended target!

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3349078 - 11/11/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I give jiggy one enormous thumb up! Well - it isn't actually a thumb...  :heart:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: Swami]
    #3349334 - 11/12/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
I give jiggy one enormous thumb up! Well - it isn't actually a thumb...  :heart:

Any chance that other finger is a pinky?  :lol:

That was a good one!...... :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineWhiteRussian
The Silence islouder then youthink
Loc: In your head :P
    #3351557 - 11/12/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yep :P

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: WhiteRussian]
    #3352230 - 11/12/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

>On that very day, she quit teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. Instead, she began to teach children.

I don't get that last part. She began to teach children, which is something she has done ever since she became a teacher..

I guess it just means that she began to teach with love, so nevermind.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: exclusive58]
    #3352235 - 11/12/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, and great story by the way. I wonder if its true.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: exclusive58]
    #3352362 - 11/12/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't get that last part. She began to teach children,

It is like that old Damon Knight sci-fi short story wherein aliens come to visit earth and bestow all kinds of cures and inventions and other goodies. Their handbook is titled "To Serve Man".

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#3352666 - 11/12/04 06:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That is also the name of a classic episode of the Twilight Zone. The aliens have been encouraging humans to fly to their home planet on their spacecrafts. Many have been eagerly making the journey. At the end of the show a man frantically runs up to the alien craft as his female friend is smiling and being brought on board. He yells to her, "Margaret! Don't get on board!! The book 'To Serve Man'..it's a cookbook!!!"  :eek:  :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Thanks SpaceDragon- what an awesome story. [Re: Jellric]
    #3352694 - 11/12/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

No coincidence. The TZ episode was based on the Knight story.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#3353405 - 11/12/04 10:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I figured it had to be. The genius, Rod Serling just threw a twist on the story.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology