Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Cabin Sequestering
    #29086059 -

Looking for better understanding of how to do this properly. I know to cut a square in the center, put contaminated piece in center and cover with a sterile piece of agar like a roof but I’m lacking knowledge of details. Like should the receiving bottom square be clean all the way to the dish? Should contaminated wedge be in center without  touching the walls? Etc. please help 🙏🏼

Edited by Ill-bird (01/12/25 09:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cabin Sequestering [Re: Ill-bird]
    #29086798 -

you'll have quicker response Here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cabin Sequestering [Re: Ill-bird]
    #29086961 -

Hello!

I've been using this technique for (? some small time - weeks ?) & I've used it as my starting point for several experiments. I cut my cabins clean through the agar to the dish & keep them quite small, maybe the size of a pea. I inoculate the cabin using an inoculation loop, but you could do the same with any tool.

Here's the original article with full details - it's a quick read, can download PDF from there.

Shi XX, Qiu HP, Wang Jy, Zhang Z, Wang YL, et al. (2019) A handy method to remove bacterial contamination from fungal cultures. PLOS ONE 14(11): e0224635. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0224635

Take care - hope to see ya around!


--------------------
Peace to you, friend!
The HHG is a guide to getting started.
New User Welcome Wagon
GROWER’S BEST photo contest: join the fun!
CAKE WARS III - Starts SEPT 1, 2026

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cabin Sequestering [Re: LewDoja]
    #29090012 -

I appreciate the replies

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cabin Sequestering [Re: Ill-bird]
    #29106145 -

In this post are the following nuggets:
Spores and Cultures: A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
SupaThaRipper said:

Cabin Sequestering Text

Cabin Sequestering Video





The demonstration in the video starts at 23:28 he kinda talks a lot lol but it seems like a conference talk or something so that's to be expected.

I don't know why this took me so long to find, I feel like I had seen people talking about mentioning Cabin Sequestering (CS) in the agar thread but I hadn't really come across it in any of the comprehensive agar guides or teks.

It seems like its a really good way to get rid of bacteria it seems like it should be standard practice after a germ plate.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it to me when they said my spawn looked bacterial. Is there a reason folks don't like this technique? or have I just had my head under a rock for the few months I've been on here and this is common knowledge?

edit: a little write-up about how the paper describes CS working - and another useful post about sequestering

Edited by sage_bd (03/05/25 12:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cabin Sequestering [Re: sage_bd] * 1
    #29106245 -

It’s only really become common knowledge on the shroomery recently

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cabin Sequestering [Re: sage_bd]
    #29109799 -

It's just a variation or amalgamation of trenching and hot pour.

The latter I've been using since I started with success. Also helped my comeback after 10yr hiatus... on a matured invitro (plin) half pint ag-jar

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cabin Sequestering [Re: sage_bd]
    #29113147 -

Thanks for the insight everyone, I had heard about this method from someone, and while I got the jist of it, there were some misunderstandings as they were pretty vague about it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Spores and Cultures: A Comprehensive Guide
( 1 2 all )
PhenoDreamers 3,556 34 01/18/26 12:56 PM
by Peleus
* AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!)
( 1 2 3 4 ... 1616 1617 )
TormatoMDiscordReddit 776,361 32,323 10/07/26 04:38 PM
by Huskies
* Cooling a grow tent in an uninsulated cabin in the middle of a HOT summer? shittishitake 126 1 07/11/22 06:00 PM
by Bigworm
* Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook
( 1 2 3 4 all )
DV8DUGS 9,454 69 10/01/26 10:49 PM
by DV8DUG
* Post Your Cultivation Picture of The Day
( 1 2 3 4 ... 8722 8723 )
saralove 5,228,339 174,449 10/07/26 04:10 PM
by Lo-Z
* The Cultivation Confessional Booth - The Unofficial Cultivation Off Topic Discussion.
( 1 2 3 4 ... 1486 1487 )
BeefExtreme 467,031 29,734 10/07/26 04:55 PM
by KevinDontWave
* Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 2163 2164 )
Fantastic Mr. Fox 1,308,831 43,278 10/07/26 04:07 PM
by Lo-Z
* Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers
( 1 2 3 4 ... 4039 4040 )
Nichrome 1,159,460 80,785 10/07/26 04:59 PM
by Shroomeus

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
835 topic views. 15 members, 69 guests and 179 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.