Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psycho_nauticus]
    #26512557 -

i've been trying different agar recipes lately , flakes and potato broth mainly , could never get it looking good , i tried cronicr suggestion , 8 gs LME / 20 gs agar / 1 lt and it's looking a lot better although spores have not germinated after 6 days


before :




after :



--------------------
...and when you loose control ; you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26512587 -

8lme 20agar seems like an odd choice for a spore plate, although I don’t have a ton of experience with them either. I always thought you wanted a lot of nutrients and soft agar for germination.


--------------------
LAGM2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psycho_nauticus]
    #26512627 -

Sockadin said:
c10h12n2o said:
It's really useful to standardize your agar recipe because then you can actually make meaningful  comparisons between various plates



Do you ever change your agar recipe in between transfers to get the mycelium to change behaviors? I finally got RW fuzzy nightmare to calm down and get more organized decreasing my LME a couple of grams.



Not much. Occasionally I will add antibiotics or something but I try to keep it standard. You can definitely make it look different with more or less nutrients,  but i dont worry about those characteristics so much.  It will often go from fluffy to rhizo or vice versa once it hits grain anyway


psycho_nauticus said:
I'm going to be using the rest of my no pour containers, so I'm going to be making a new batch of agar. I just want to make one uniform batch across for all of these. I'm going to be using them for swiping prints and transfers, everything, etc. Last time I used 9 grams agar/9 grams LME. I've also been recommended 7 grams agar/10 LME, that it will give me faster growth. What would you guys do or how to mix agar ratios that I can use for the rest of these no pours and that I will be using for everything, swipes, streaking, transfers, inoculating, etc. I just want to make a uniform batch with the rest of these no pour containers that will work the best for everything.



Couple of things:

#1 those numbers mean very little to us if you dont include the volume of water being used

#2 the ratio of agar to nutrients is much higher than what anyone here is going to recommend. Why not just stick with the tried and true 14g ME, 20g agar, 1L water? I would use less before I'd use more


--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide


"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26512662 -

A.k.a said:
8lme 20agar seems like an odd choice for a spore plate, although I don’t have a ton of experience with them either. I always thought you wanted a lot of nutrients and soft agar for germination.



i thought it was an odd number even for the transfers plates , i wasn't planning on dropping spores in them i just did it at the last minute ;  this is the first time that i put spores in agar and they don't germinate ; ever

anyway it seem that what you thought is correct cause they haven't done anything so far

transfers plates seems to really be working though ,


--------------------
...and when you loose control ; you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26512665 -

Yeah I’m sure the transfers are off and running with low nutes like that.


--------------------
LAGM2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26512685 -

A.k.a said:
Yeah I’m sure the transfers are off and running with low nutes like that.




yeap , i tried low nutes using flakes but it seems they never liked it maybe the brand of flakes or something

light malt exctract for the win

i'm using up all my old grain and not making g2g , can't wait to drop some cleaned up agar into a new master jar , WITH the new grain prep i'm doing  , exciting


--------------------
...and when you loose control ; you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26512694 -

Yeah, my recommendation to use that low of a nutrient content was explicitly for cleaning up an active culture, which is what I thought you were asking about - sorry for the confusion.
I've used it when dealing with a difficult contaminant culture to force the separation a little more. I wouldn't recommend them for normal use.
Germinating on them wouldn't be advisable, although I don't really see the issue if the agar content is the same.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: footpath]
    #26512705 -

footpath said:
Yeah, my recommendation to use that low of a nutrient content was explicitly for cleaning up an active culture, which is what I thought you were asking about - sorry for the confusion.
I've used it when dealing with a difficult contaminant culture to force the separation a little more. I wouldn't recommend them for normal use.
Germinating on them wouldn't be advisable, although I don't really see the issue if the agar content is the same.



i AM cleaning up my cultures ; thanks btw

the decision of trying spores was just a last minute thing ; and i didn't think it would affect it at all ; i guess a learned something new ha

question ; why not use this formula all the time ?


--------------------
...and when you loose control ; you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26512756 -

I've had a bunch of plates pin recently, finally got around to dropping a couple to grain. One had spored, thr other was still skinny and immature. I have no idea what variety they are but I'm looking the fast, rhizo growth from them.

Pin plates



Dropped to pints of wbs 4 days ago. Grain might be overhydrated, dont think I'll simmer WBS again but I was in a rush.



I gave the jars a good shake after dropping in the pins. IDK if this is usual practice but they are way ahead of the grain jars that got agar wedges added.


--------------------
LAGM2021
Trades

We may lose or we may win, but we'll never be here again

Edited by Tattersail (03/02/20 12:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26512763 -

dmppb said:
i AM cleaning up my cultures ; thanks btw

the decision of trying spores was just a last minute thing ; and i didn't think it would affect it at all ; i guess a learned something new ha

question ; why not use this formula all the time ?



Ah.. understood.

My main reasons for not using them generally are that they grow out way too quickly for me to deal with and, as far as I know, they're not good for storing cultures (never tried with plates of this recipe.) Also, as you found out, they aren't great for germination.

As c10 said, there's really no reason to seek one style of growth or the other if you know it's a clean culture.
So, if you can have more versatility with the tried and true recipe - probably best to just roll with that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26512768 -

Well I did the rest of my no pours at 7 grams agar/10 grams LME.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psycho_nauticus]
    #26512787 -

To 500mL H2O?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: footpath]
    #26512826 -

footpath said:
dmppb said:
i AM cleaning up my cultures ; thanks btw

the decision of trying spores was just a last minute thing ; and i didn't think it would affect it at all ; i guess a learned something new ha

question ; why not use this formula all the time ?



Ah.. understood.

My main reasons for not using them generally are that they grow out way too quickly for me to deal with and, as far as I know, they're not good for storing cultures (never tried with plates of this recipe.) Also, as you found out, they aren't great for germination.

As c10 said, there's really no reason to seek one style of growth or the other if you know it's a clean culture.
So, if you can have more versatility with the tried and true recipe - probably best to just roll with that.



cool , i can't to see how they're later today


--------------------
...and when you loose control ; you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: footpath]
    #26512853 -

Yes, to 500 mL.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26512858 -

Why is it more difficult to do streaking with soft agar?


--------------------
--------------------
Deep pour soft agar plates-->bags of WBS-->Low Profile Monos
Clean spawn thread | Put a thermometer on your PC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tedoro]
    #26512929 -

The swab will tear up soft agar very easily, I've torn soft agar trying to place a transfer on it.


--------------------

Crack's Tek's and Shit


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #26512932 -

You're saying I'm doing it backwards? And it's too much? Actually this did come as a recommendation from someone : 10 grams LME/7 grams agar/500 mL.

You're saying I should of done 7 grams LME/10 grams agar/500 mL?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Crackatoa]
    #26512934 -

Crackatoa said:
The swab will tear up soft agar very easily, I've torn soft agar trying to place a transfer on it.



Is that so terrible? won't it all still work?


--------------------
--------------------
Deep pour soft agar plates-->bags of WBS-->Low Profile Monos
Clean spawn thread | Put a thermometer on your PC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Crackatoa]
    #26512935 -

Shit, I was going to swab a print also.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Crackatoa]
    #26512943 -

So swabbing and transferring are out of the question with this mix? 10 grams LME/7 grams agar/500 mL

I was going to use it for swabbing a print and doing transfers...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,295 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
774,948 topic views. 16 members, 174 guests and 130 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.