Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblec10h12n2o
becoming
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
c10's Flow Hood Build * 5
    #24201748 - 03/29/17 06:30 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

INTRO / BACKGROUND

hello lovely people, ive been getting lots of requests for a guide to how i built my flow hood so here it is :smile:

first of all, i memorized these pages, and would recommend doing the same for anyone building a flow hood/cabinet:

PirateSwazey's Flow Hood Build Thread

The Ubiquitous fungifun Flow Hood Guide

EvilMushroom666's Guide

Basically everything in here is the same as you will find in those guides, with only a few stylistic differences, those guys did a fantastic job and id have never built mine without those pages.

PLANNING

First, do you really need a flow hood/cabinet to do what you are trying to do? most hobbyists and even small commercial growers have no real need for laminar flow, since basically everything can be done in a SAB quite effectively. When used correctly, a still air box meets all the needs of most cultivators.

if you are having trouble getting the results you want with a SAB, there are a few things you can do that are easier than building a flow hood. #1 improve your clean tech and understanding of how a SAB works (still air vs sterile), #2 add a damp towel to the bottom of your SAB and elevate a cookie sheet a few inches above it with spacers, and use this as your work surface (this traps contams and can have a hu.ge impact on SAB success)

here are a few pics of my old SABs, a double hatch modified tub and a totally custom plexiglass closet build, the latter was extremely effective and comfortable to work in:

after deciding that a flow hood/cabinet is something you want, the next part is planning. I looked at dozens of real flow hoods in lab catalogs for inspiration, and finally settled on a design. I decided to go with a full flow hood rather than the standard flow cabinet that most people build on the forum, and had lots of features in mind. Here is the basic design decided on and began modeling:

here is a link to a rar file with the sketchup files and the exact cut dimensions: https://gofile.io/d/JbK8fS

Blower & Filter Matching Math

This part confuses a lot of people but it is a lot simpler than it might seem. We want a flow of around 100 feet per minute, so we need to:

#1 calculate the area of your HEPA filter. In my case, it is 2ft x 2ft = 4 sq. ft.

#2 multiply filter area by desired flow rate. in my case, 4 sq. ft. x 100 feet per minute = 400 cubic feet per minute

this number is the amount of air your blower must deliver at the sum of the STATIC PRESSURE of the HEPA filter + prefilter.

most HEPA filters of this type will be around 1" static pressure, and most prefilters will be around .2", which is the case with my filter from FP. so in my case, i need a blower that can do at least 400 CFM @ 1.2" static pressure

You can get great deals on used/salvaged blowers on craigslist or by calling HVAC repair shops and asking about salvage blowers, will save you several hundred dollars at least on the blower. the tricky part is finding something just right, and finding the blower info. for mine, i was looking for a 1/3 hp blower, but ended up getting a 1/4 and a 1/2 hp in the hope that one would work. you can always restrict the airflow or use a speed controller if it is too much

Since i couldnt find ANY info on the two salvaged blowers i found, i ended up getting one of those anemometers to determine cfm and flow stats, which indicated that the 1/4 hp was over 1200 CFM and would probably be sufficient. just in case, i designed it big enough for the 1/2 hp if i needed to switch them out

Construction

I made my cuts out of 2x 8' pieces of 3/4" plywood, and screwed the bottom and sides together, then put a sheet of metal onto the bottom and secured it with contact cement and countersunk screws

after that, i installed the furring strip and some cleats to hold the middle platform

then i put the filter (with all the protective wrap and cardboard intact) inside and lined everything up, just to make sure everything was snug and fit right. I placed the middle platform in and drew some of the lines to cut it off, and sat the blower in place to make sure everything looked right, then mounted the middle platform in place

after that i cut the windows and the blower hole

and put together the front and top (the prefilter mount):

then i caulked and painted everything in 2 coats of VOC free semi gloss enamel

took everything to its final location and pressed the filter into place, secured it with pegs into the filter housing, mounted the blower, screwed the front and top in place, caulked em, and painted em again, wired the blower and lights, put a AC socket, a USB quickcharger, and a router speed controller on it, and mounted plexiglass on the inside with countersunk screws, so that the interior workspace is perfectly smooth and easy to clean

So far so good, been really loving it!! perfect laminar flow all the way around :smile: it has been a joy to work with. the pins into the filter housing are a totally different way of securing the filter than the standard trim-sandwich that most flow cabinets use, and i was a bit skeptical at first, but its worked out well :smile: I really love the USB quickcharger built in, and the lights as well. I have a tracing pad (backlight) that i slide under the rack when i want a backlight to see through agar as well

huge thanks to RR, bodhi, anno, agar, workman, pirateswazey, EM666, and everyone else who helped me out when i was brainstorming on this thing, you guys rock!!! mush love my friends!!! :rockon:

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by c10h12n2o (09/14/20 06:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDyn-A-Mite
Awakened

Re: c10's Flow Hood Build [Re: c10h12n2o] * 1
    #24201872 - 03/29/17 08:38 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Nice build man. :thumbup:

OfflineCrispykoot
Jello Wrangler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: c10's Flow Hood Build [Re: Dyn-A-Mite] * 1
    #24201883 - 03/29/17 08:49 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Triple thankyou!! Really beautiful work.

--------------------

:gd_icon: Shadowboxing the apocalypse and wandering the land :gd_icon:

OfflineLeftfield420
bong toker
Male

#24201969 - 03/29/17 09:44 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Roughly how much did you spend to build that c10? I want to build one once I get my lab set up

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: c10's Flow Hood Build [Re: Leftfield420] * 1
    #24202044 - 03/29/17 10:32 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

:solidnod:

--------------------
police violence is no accident
ACAB
There's two kinds of people. Those who have had a bad interaction with cops and those who haven't got their turn

Invisiblec10h12n2o
becoming
 User Gallery

Re: c10's Flow Hood Build [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #24202650 - 03/29/17 03:19 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

thanks guys :smile: ive been diggin it so far, very pleased

lets see how the costs broke down for what i ended up using (not counting stuff i didnt use):

1/4 hp blower              -- $25

24"x24" filter from FP      -- $244  (i think it went up since some of the older builds)

2x 4' x 8' 3/4 birch plywood-- $70

6x 8' furring strip        -- $12

34x36" plexiglass sheet    -- $22 (i actually used 2, messed up tryin to cut it with a saw and had to scrap the first one, scoring and breaking worked much better)

quart of paint              -- $16

sheet of aluminum          -- $18  (wish i had used steel, couldnt find it in the right size fast enough though)

2x ALEX caulk, 1x plexi silicone -- $14

prefilter, 1900 filtrete    -- $17

large nails, cut blunt for pins  -- $2

LED lights                    -- $45 (there were cheaper options, but i was really picky about the color of the light, etc, and went with something dimmable and color adjustable, the GE Enbrighten series)

USB quick charge AC outlet    --$18

double switch                -- $4

router speed controller      -- $18

electrical box and accessories -- $7

heavy duty microwave power cord -- $9

definitely could have done it with lower costs, fewer extras, different filter, lights, electronics, etc, i bet coulda done it under $400 if i wasnt so set on tricking it out and using a filter from FP haha...

when i built this, i had just moved and all my tools were still boxed up, and i had almost no working space, so i was a bit nervous about doing it without all my tools. I got the whole thing built using a jigsaw (my lithium circular saw wasnt doing the job), improvised saw guides w/ clamps, and a lithium drill. jigsaw and drill are the only power tools i used (though my table saw and belt sander would have been damn handy :/ ).

i used carpentry squares, clamps, and and angle clamp a LOT, they were indispensable. also, my digital caliper set was crucial to many of my measurements (especially the pegs, which had to be right withing 1/64"), i use calipers TONS of things, they are quite handy for extremely accurate measurements.

since this was my first build and required lots of adjusting, i did not glue anything, just used good construction screws. i didnt countersink most of the screws, only the ones where a flat surface was ideal (such as the plexiglass). of course not using glue made caulking very important, so i did HUGE caulk beads and smoothed them out to about 8mm. I considered using an epoxy resin rather than caulk, to provide extra strength, but opted for only screws so i could make adjustments if things didnt line up right

of course, things are a lot cheaper if you already have all kinds of screws, drill bits, paint stuff, sanding stuff, and the like, because those things could add up to quite a bit

also, there are lots of easy ways to do 3d modeling, probably the easiest (and free) is google's SketchUp, which is what i use for woodworking. if you do any 3d printing, CNC, or autocad work, etc, it should be quite familiar. Here is a great set of videos explaining the basics of SketchUp SketchUp for Woodworkers Tutorials, you will probably find it quite easy to use and should be able to model your own designs on day 1. this is very useful for laying out cuts on a piece of plywood, getting measurements, lining things up, etc, and can save a huge amount of time and confusion vs modeling with wood. if you know how to use something else better, by all means use it. the best digital design software is the one you know how to use

--------------------

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

― Friedrich Nietzsche

InvisibleTheMadHatter420

#24202656 - 03/29/17 03:26 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

That turned out very nice bro!

--------------------
JOIN THE POW WOW

OfflineMattisfat
Learning
Male

Loc: Newcastle, England Flag
    #24202673 - 03/29/17 03:39 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
INTRO / BACKGROUND

Wow look at all that booze

--------------------

Invisiblec10h12n2o
becoming
 User Gallery

Re: c10's Flow Hood Build [Re: Mattisfat] * 1
    #24202796 - 03/29/17 04:34 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

thanks guys :laugh: i appreciate everyone's help in planning it out and deciding which direction to go.... i fuckin love the USB charger, that thing is clutch :laugh:

Quote:

Mattisfat said:
Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
INTRO / BACKGROUND

Wow look at all that booze

hahaha... thats about half of it! i have always been a collector of fine spirits, essential oils, herbs and spices, drugs, wine, cheese, etc. i really like Japanese scotch, scotch in general. i dont really drink much though because my GI problems make it impossible... i really enjoy making drinks for other people, and serving my guests exceptional cocktails and top notch booze, i keep a house drink menu laminated for guests to choose haha...

by the time i graduated HS, i had 7 different whiskey stills hidden in the woods haha.... that was how i got income for a bit. lol my friends were always buying moonshine from this crazy old black man that lived in the woods with no electricity and was blind.... i kept telling them it is a BAD idea to drink moonshine made by a blind guy, but they didnt listen, so i started making my own haha... i was a weird kid

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineLeftfield420
bong toker
Male

#24202863 - 03/29/17 05:05 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I sure as hell wouldn't drink moonshine made by a blind dude...don't bad shine cause blindness or some shit

Invisiblec10h12n2o
becoming
 User Gallery

#24203042 - 03/29/17 06:05 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

exactly!!! if you dont know to separate the heads and tails, or if you make methanol instead of ethanol, it can cause you to go blind

ive actually read stats that say that today the #1 cause of blindness is from drinking methanol... sooooooooo not worth it... how the hell is that man gonna read a thermometer to know when to do the heads and tails runs? he didnt even have electricity! they said his apple pie shine was quite good, but i never tried it (BECAUSE DUDE IS BLIND lol)

what was really obnoxious was that i had to charge less than he did, because he had a lot of customers who swore by it and i was just a random kid... i kept trying to explain that mine was worth more, because no one has gone blind from drinking it, but they all said his blindness wasnt from moonshine (i wasnt so certain)

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineDactylium
Don't touch me I'm sterile

#24203061 - 03/29/17 06:10 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I'm willing to bet the dude was just selling some cheap ass booze he threw some cinnamon sticks in.

Invisiblec10h12n2o
becoming
 User Gallery

Re: c10's Flow Hood Build [Re: Dactylium] * 1
    #24203098 - 03/29/17 06:20 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

he had a nice copper still, i saw him run it once... have you ever had real homemade apple pie shine? it is unbelievably good, like unreal... ive tried to make it myself several, several times, using all kinds of family recipes and such, but it was never anywhere near as good as some this old lady sold for $100/gal, that stuff was like candy (and i never tried that blind guys he sold for 70/gal, but folks said it was good, and he wouldnt give me his recipe when i offered $200 for it)

this guy sold his raw at $25/gallon which is reallllllly cheap for corn whiskey these days, made it hard for my teenage ass to undercut.

i do miss having a big supply of corn whiskey around though, mainly for cleaning haha... that stuff would clean the hell out of anything, and was way cheaper to make than buying lab ethanol or everclear +tax.... i used to clean my tables with it, and all my shop stuff haha... and make "green dragon" cannabis extracts, mushroom extracts, all kinds of dumb shit hahaha..... i was a weird kid

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineLeftfield420
bong toker
Male

#24203175 - 03/29/17 06:48 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like a fun process to learn...I wanted to extract DMT... Did 2 extractions and it kinda reminded of cooking dope with my dad back in the day... The shit I find interesting? Most of it could get me in trouble...but all the fun shit can get you in trouble lol!!

OfflineDactylium
Don't touch me I'm sterile

#24203240 - 03/29/17 07:14 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hahaha holy crap. How's a blind dude gonna make shine with no electricity? I wish I was doing something that rad in high school. I was straight edge as hell and did nothing but build computers and play video games.

I'm with ya leftfield. I wanna start growing some Oysters eventually but growing cubes feels so bad ass. Hey serotonin, what's with the little tote you've got siliconed to the big one? Do you take the lid off of it to load the SAB? I don't mean to derail but that caught my eye

OfflineLeftfield420
bong toker
Male

#24203256 - 03/29/17 07:20 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I plan to grow every type of mushroom I can...only thing standing in my way is me being intimidated by pasteurization...cubes are fun and easy...let me get a hood built and my lab set up...shit a man can dream right?

Offlinetombosley8
Full on... Bossley Baggins
 User Gallery

#24203296 - 03/29/17 07:37 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

impressive.
:ilovedyou:
GREAT WORK!

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (03/29/17 07:40 PM)

Invisiblec10h12n2o
becoming
 User Gallery

#24203666 - 03/29/17 09:57 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dactylium said:
Hahaha holy crap. How's a blind dude gonna make shine with no electricity? I wish I was doing something that rad in high school. I was straight edge as hell and did nothing but build computers and play video games.

I'm with ya leftfield. I wanna start growing some Oysters eventually but growing cubes feels so bad ass. Hey serotonin, what's with the little tote you've got siliconed to the big one? Do you take the lid off of it to load the SAB? I don't mean to derail but that caught my eye

he had a badass copper still and a propane setup, he knew what he was doing, and hell he coulda been blind from a birth defect, i just never trusted his moonshine haha.... (and i damn sure used that to market the hell out of mine, like i was the volunteer moonshine safety board or something :rofl:)

divorced parents, mom was strict as hell (military school, would take my violin and books to punish me, crazy religious, cut off the power to my room for 9 mo... strict), and dad couldnt care less and lived on nearly 1000 acres in the woods, so i had lots of land to play around on growing up every other weekend, and went back to "alcatraz" as my dads gf called it during the week haha... i wasnt even allowed to use computers, and only 30 mins of tv or phone a day (i always chose phone)... my mother has never heard me curse, and then when i was grown they let my little siblings run wild hahaha....

oysters, reishi, and lions mane are lots of fun, much more rewarding than cubes because you can show em to everyone haha.. and free gourmet ingredients

that first SAB had a double hatch built in, for taking things in and out, inspired by this glovebox guide, it was pretty effective, just not tall enough for bags. that double hatch thing is actually secured with bolts and a piece of rubber sheet sandwiched so it wouldnt crack, and siliconed for seal. i would load everything through the hatch, and lift it up for anything too big

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Invisiblebastard4life
Travel Agent
Male User Gallery

#24203808 - 03/29/17 10:49 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Nice flow hood I'm so jelly. That's a must have for my future.

InvisibleMarty Mycfly
Time Traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: c10's Flow Hood Build [Re: bastard4life] * 1
    #24203987 - 03/29/17 11:50 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm, stillin' corn in the woods huh? Do you play a fiddle and banjer? I wonder if we have met?
:crymeariver:

Pimp ass hood c10 :raisemyglass:

--------------------
Mycfly's King Oysters                                       

Mycfly's Reishi    

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation