Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy
    #600588 - 04/06/02 01:56 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

For those of you who are not carpentry wizards & have budget limits.

At garage sales, second hand & thrift stores you often see big ass sterio speakers & the speakers are wrecked, one way or another. You can buy these speaker cases for a few bucks.

At Builders Square or any building supply place you can find big ass 3M ultra alergen filters (rated at about 3 microns) for about $20.

At any air/con, furnace repair shop or second hand store you can usualy get a high volume motorized squirrel cage fan for under $20.

Use the big speaker box for the case, install fan (cut hole & use screws) & filter (duck tape -- if you must), plug in & you pumping. It doesnt have to be pretty. Functional is all you need.

Hint, use some pre/filter foam or cut up vacum cleaner bags as a pre/filter in back of the 3M filter. It will last longer.

SixTango -- out

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHisStudent
enthusiast

Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: SixTango]
    #600621 - 04/06/02 02:50 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

. Hey cool post. I've been trying to get something like that together for a few weeks now. I saw the 3M Filtrete? Ultra Allergen Filters you mentioned in your post but I didn't think they would be adequate by themselves.
I copied this from the 3M site:
http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/filtrete/411_ultra.jhtml

? Outperforms all other 1" filters
? Captures
- 90% of large allergens - like mold spores and pet dander -
from the air passing through the filter
- microscopic allergens like dust, smoke and smog particles
- bacteria and particles that can carry viruses
? 25% more efficient than the Filtrete Micro Allergen Filter
? 15% better airflow then the Filtrete Micro Allergen Filter
? Lasts 3 months
? Meets the American Lung Association Health House Indoor Air Quality Guidelines
? 3M - 1250 Performance Rating, MERV 12 Rating
? No unnecessary antimicrobial chemicals added; Filtrete filtering material will not support the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew or fungi in normal use

Could some one with a little knowledge on this subject please post the minimum filter requirements for a flowhood? I was under the impression that the minimum filter efficiency for this application was 99.97 at .3 microns but I really don?t know shit.

It would be cool if some people with home made flow hoods could post what they are using for a filter and possibly post some pics.

--------------------
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
- Jack Handey

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: HisStudent]
    #600693 - 04/06/02 04:20 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Go to Filtersrx.com

You can get a true Hepa filter(just the filter) from them at a relativly low cost ($100). Then use it & a speaker case w/squirrel cage fan.

This post was for a Hepa TYPE filter. Not a true Hepa filter.

But, look what any Hepa filter material is made out of. It is filter paper, like a vacum cleaner bag. Paste enough pre/filter material like foam, then a bunch of cut up vacum cleaner bags behind this cheap 3M filter & your getting way up there in air filtation & doing it for small change.

Look at paper coffee filters too. They are around .3 micron & cheap as dirt. They will even work as a jar filter, LOL. They are a little fragile, through.

A true Hepa filter just has more filter paper & better construction. Anything is better than nothing. Every little bit helps.

SixTango -- out

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinebluepoo
journeyman
Loc: europe
    #600731 - 04/06/02 05:34 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i got a Hepa filter (99.97) for 120 euros about the same as dollars i think in a catolog (argos)
or you can gust buy the filter for 30
99.97 is about all you could expect from a home made fillter fan set up even using those rely expencive (99.99) filters at 100 dolars a pop maybe try puting a 99.99 filter in insted of a 99.97

--------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
the above is what the litel leprecans told me to say and should be regarded as such

Offlinebluepoo
journeyman
Loc: europe
Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: bluepoo]
    #600734 - 04/06/02 05:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

there evan cheaper in the us http://www.bionaire.com

--------------------
the above is what the litel leprecans told me to say and should be regarded as such

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: HisStudent]
    #600855 - 04/06/02 09:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

go check out your local walmart. they have one for around $60 canadian. buy a tall & wide rubbermaid container, and coer the top with plastic or glass or something.. this will cost you like $10.
then cut some arm holes, and some way to get stuff in 'er

i had a post in this forum with mine. do a search for "flow hood" and read the post by cookiewhore, and you'll see it

the hepa filter is fit into a hole cut in one end

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: cookiewhore]
    #600920 - 04/06/02 10:24 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hepa filters & flow hoods are one thing. Your talking about a glove box. LOL

Were not. LOL...............................................

SixTango -- out

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #600943 - 04/06/02 10:51 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Six,

Thanks for the good post.
I agree with you....making your own flow hood can be a cheap investment.
If you are handy with your hands...lucky me.... I am.
Someone from the Shroomery told me about a site that was giving top quality filters away for free....wish they would post.
I'm planning on making one very soon.
Never thought about using a speaker box though....nice!
Goodwill and Value Villiage here I come....lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: Roadkill]
    #601029 - 04/07/02 01:17 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yo -- RoadKill,

You can make a good glove box out of a big ass speaker box, too. If you ever run across one of those real big, real old computer printer cases, with the hinged curved plex raise up lid, grab hold of it. They make a (big) perfect glove box.

LOL, My FOAF's Racoon started with oven tec, then a home built glove box, then a better one, then went to a way to big ass home built true Hepa. The way to big came from running across a priced right 24 X 24 true hepa filter in a goverment surplus store, then a jumbo squirrel cage fan off a furnace for free. Partial sheet of 1/2 inch plywood cut to pieces to make the box, 1 X 1 inch frame & screws & a hole for the fan, painted & it was pumping. SOB would filter 1300 sq house.

Maybe the Racoon is anal, he still uses the glove box too, even with hepa cranking.

Oven tec is okay. But once you use a smoking josh stick to see which way air is circulating around whatever your working with & where it comes from, you will instantly get second thoughts about the oven tec.

A lot of trial & error( many errors) w/jars made me a believer in autoclave bags w/air filter for spawn & substrate. Then one into the other (20 - 25% spawn to 75 - 80 % substrate), let it colonize in bag, dump in clean tub, place tub in black garbage bag while it recolonizes, remove garbage bag & case. 1 bag of grain spawn to 3 or 4 bags of substrate & your farming.............

Trick with plain autoclave bags (like 16 X 24) is to add an air filter. Butt wipe simple. Cut some 2 or 3 inch bore scedule 40 PVC pipe in couple inch peices (Racoon calls then rings), pull neck of bag through ring hole, spread bag down outside of ring, rubber band a filter over the ring hole. Works for garbage bags over tubs, too. If you run low on regular filters, use double paper coffee filters.

SixTango -- out

--------------------

Edited by SixTango (04/07/02 01:23 AM)

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
    #601133 - 04/07/02 05:49 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Six Tango the Handyman!

Thanks ST for your flowhood info !!!!

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #601149 - 04/07/02 06:03 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

>Trick with plain autoclave bags (like 16 X 24) is to add an air filter. Butt wipe simple. Cut some 2 or 3 inch bore scedule 40 PVC pipe in couple inch peices (Racoon calls then rings), pull neck of bag through ring hole, spread bag down outside of ring, rubber band a filter over the ring hole. Works for garbage bags over tubs, too. If you run low on regular filters, use double paper coffee filters.

I tried this and the pvc pipe melted and shrank to 1/4" diameter. These were done in a pc at 15psi. I have experimented with large copper couplings (ok), tin cans (with taped edges, no good) cardboard tube ( heavy, good) syringes (too small) but nothing really worked for me.

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
    #601242 - 04/07/02 09:58 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Heh, have you ever seen a commercial flow hood?
this is how it is setup.
a flow hood isnt simply a wall of filter
look at the post i mentioned earlier

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #601339 - 04/07/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

PVC pipe to use is the kind for hot water plumbing. It is gray colored & scedule 40 is thicker that just plain PVC pipe. It will withstand the heat. Stupid me for not including that fact in previous post. SixTango -- out

Now editing. It isnt even called PVC, it is HDPE or some such thing.

On top of that -- no need to PC them anyway. Just sterize w/lysol (or whatever) & place on bag after it cools. You have to open it to dump in spawn grain -- anyway.

--------------------

Edited by SixTango (04/07/02 01:24 PM)

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #601350 - 04/07/02 01:36 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

>On top of that -- no need to PC them anyway. Just sterize w/lysol (or whatever) & place on bag after it cools. You have to open it to dump in spawn grain -- anyway.

Good thinking, but not when using suspended mycelium. Plus the filter needs to be included in the pc to sterilise it.
HDPE pipe can withstand temperatures up to 80C only.......being an ex-plumber i know this. Thin aluminium tubing is available (used for flues on boilers and fires) edges tend to be a bit sharp tho.

Anybody know how to attach a filter patch to a bag??

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#601363 - 04/07/02 02:01 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

LOL, now I am going to have to drive way across town & eyeball that pipe. It looks like HDPE - PVC. It must not be. You being da plumber, you must know & have it right about HDPE. After I eyeball it, I will post whatever the hell it is. Whatever it is -- It will withstand being PC'd @ 15 lbs for 60 minutes.

To attach a filter patch to a bag, use an impulse bag sealer

SixTango -- out

--------------------

Edited by SixTango (04/07/02 02:03 PM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#601382 - 04/07/02 02:33 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Cookie,

Yup, I have seem one, once or twice-- LOL.

For those that have not, pics below.

Strip off the light, work area & side peices & you have a Hepa filter.

Glove box w/small fan & filter is a mini/flow hood encased.

Glove box w/o any fan or filter is a dormant glove box.

Maybe -- there should be more words added to the glossary for all these contraptions names. LOL

OK, Cookie, I should not have said "flow hood" in post title.

Spank me, spank me. I have been corrected. LOL -- All in fun.

SixTango -- out

--------------------

OfflineMyceliumcake
addicted to weed
Loc: Flint, Michigan
    #601395 - 04/07/02 03:08 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I always thought that when making a flowhood there were specific guidlines as far as the cfm on the fan to the surface area of the filter. And how much air your box holds at one time and all that jazz.
?

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: Myceliumcake]
    #601429 - 04/07/02 03:56 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

For certain there are a bunch of differing spec's for differing grades of filters, matched to differing fans. Obviously it depends on the amount of filtration you require, CFM, size of filter, number of filters, size of fan, size of hood & all else.

When you start matching those specs & building one, your going to have to install those spec filters to a spec fan. That will get spendy -- quick.

What I'm talking about is what available materials you can get for the least amount of money & dependent on your budget, what you have available to work with & space available.

The racoons hepa filter is not a spec thing. It was cobbled togather from a free squirrel cage fan (off a furnace) & a 24 X 24 Hepa filter (still new in plastic wrap)found at a goverment surplus sale for a bargain basket price. The filter must be a good one, since it came from a shut down nuclear reactor site surplus sale.

It may be under spec -- or -- over spec. I would think it is about the right spec -- for the intended purpose, by luck of the draw. Since it works. To protect the spendy hepa filter, there is a lot of pre/filter material placed in front of the Hepa filter to catch dust & other larger minute particles. The intent being to preserve the hepa filter -- from plugging -- as much as possible.

I should never have said FLOW HOOD in this post title. It serves as one, as the racoon attempted to built it that way. I (nor the racoon) are certainly not flow hood wizards. What I do know is that if it's priced right, available, it works & isnt broke, don't fix it.

The raccons investment was under $50, plus labor. Stick to spec's & try to build one for that. It isn't happening. I wish it was, the racoon would have a spec flow hood for $50.

SixTango -- out

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #601445 - 04/07/02 04:20 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The rule of thumb is that the velocity of the air flow escaping the filter is 100 feet per minute.
If you have a filter 24x12 in , which is 2 square feet, your blower should deliver 200 cubic feet per minute.
But don?t forget that the blower should deliver this amount of air against the static pressure of the filter which is around 1 inch of water column.

So, a blower for such filter would have to deliver 12000 cubic feet per hour or 340 cubic meter per hour against a static pressure of 1".

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
    #601463 - 04/07/02 04:44 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hehehe, thats a very nice unit. nice pics. i like seeing variations of hoods. i immagine that only cost a couple bucks, eh?

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#601487 - 04/07/02 05:08 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yo, Dream/Matrix,

Called over to the racoons & he eyeballed the pipe. He says it says something like PVDF w/numbers other weird signs behind it. It is a polycarbonate pipe material. SixTango -- out

--------------------

OfflineBaccus
Stranger
    #601520 - 04/07/02 05:58 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I saw a simpler way for us non carpenter types to build a HEPA flow hood on this site.

http://www.peterdilley.com/

I went to mushrooms then I clicked on flowhood

Seems simple enough without worrying about matching fans and filters. I am gonna stop by Kmart and start looking for the supplies.

Baccus

OfflineBaccus
Stranger
Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: Baccus]
    #602519 - 04/08/02 07:06 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I checked online with k-mart and they have a Bionaire cleaner

The Bionaire Advanced 4-stage HEPA Filter System, for rooms up to 11 ft x 14 ft, removes 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air passing through the filter. Features include dual position placement and a Filter Condition Monitor to help you determine when the filter needs changing.

They wanted $70 for it so I may look around for other units at other stores since most people seem to be spending about $50 or less when building their flow hood using that sites plans.

Now i just need to pick up another big rubbermaid plastic tub and some glue or caulking and I'll have my flow hood.

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
    #603079 - 04/09/02 07:27 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

go check out walmart, i couldnt ifnd the link, but they have one that is 59.99 canadian, so i immagine thatd be what.. 39.99 american?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Hepa type filter - flow hood - cheap & easy [Re: cookiewhore]
    #603125 - 04/09/02 08:53 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Same with home-depot. Probably the same model... its about $40 US.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
    #603246 - 04/09/02 11:14 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i have that exact bionaire model. the "change filter" thing never works though. it is a good one otherwise. it has an ionizer and is a little bit more airtight than some of the other models ive seen. you might want to patch up some of the more obvious holes though. the problem with these mini units is that they are not airtight. notice it says that the statistic only applies to air that passes through the filter. if the filter doesnt cover the fan perfectly (it doesnt) then there is plenty of nonsteirle air pass through.

it *will* still work though...

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags