Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Hot Plate, Hygrometer, Injection Ports, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
[STICKY] ⚠ Where to Start Flow Chart, QnA, and helpful links ⚠ * 37
    #24420178 - 06/20/17 12:54 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Growing Psilocybe Cubensis
where to get started if you're just starting

This is meant to serve as a way to get anyone accustomed to using the Shroomery as a research and diagnostic tool. If you are able to use the Shroomery in a effective way you will benefit both the community and yourself. In addition this thread will serve as a useful resource to get any person getting started with cultivation by providing the most up to date, user friendly, crowed sourced, time tested, and repeatedly proven TEKs possible.

First things First, read the forum rules so you don't end up looking funny
they're located at the top of every forum. You should also read the sticky posts

The first thing a user in this forum should know is how to post a picture and how to  resize a picture .

Please post all wild ID ?'s in the Mushroom Hunting forum.

Quote:

No flaming will be tolerated in cultivation forums. We consider name calling a flame and will take appropriate action to resolve any users who practice flaming. The reason we will not tolerate flaming is that there is no need for it and it is destructive to learning. Please post with respect.

Getting Started

Your best tool: The Search Engine

You can find anything to confirm your bias here so practice good researching skills.

Follow TEKs(Technical Educational Knowledge) to the T. This way the community can help diagnose any problems.
If you already know what to do why did you come here?
Follow the directions perfectly. Make your own changes when you're the experienced one. Failure to do so likely will lead to you having to re-experience history by replicating the trial and error failures of the past. Everything you thought of has most likely already been done.
The included methods are the ones that have stood out as working well time and time again.

You will need spores

list of shroomery sponsors
these vendors sell spore syringes for microscopy.
Quote:

3.  Spores are sold for microscopy use only so mycologists can ID mushrooms. If you're going to misuse them to grow a controlled substance, keep it to yourself.  Any post which mentions 'such and such' vendor, will be deleted and you'll receive an official warning.  Do not plug non sponsors.

When you grow from spores any two spores that successfully mate create a strain

A strain is not the same as a variety

When you grow from spores you have 100s if not 1000s of strains working together as a single organism.
You may choose any variety of psilocybe cubensis. Some strains will be weak some strong. When you grow from spores you get a mixed bag. If you have a B+ or GT syringe you could do 10 different grows and each would have different results.

If you want to get uniform results with consistent potency you need to keep good strains around by cloning or isolating and using agar. Spores will give you basically random results regardless of the variety you choose.
Strains Varieties and Species

Don't worry too much about which variety of psilocybe cubensis to pick. Chose one with a name you like and go with it. You'll be able to trade spores later. Mushrooms make their own spores so you never really need to buy more. Making a spore print is easier than it seems. Most noobs avoid making spore prints for whatever reason, you will need to learn this skill. The best way to learn is to start somewhere and make mistakes. Don't put all your eggs in one basket so that a mistake becomes horribly detrimental.

Now to choose your methods and directions. These methods are commonly known as TEKs

In order to grow psilocybe cubensis mushrooms indoors you will need to sterilize a substrate

A substrate is where the mushrooms will grow from.
Whether or not you have a pressure cooker determines what methods are available to you to start growing mushrooms.

Do you have a Pressure Cooker/Sterilizer?
Yes / No

Are you thinking about buying a grow kit?
Read this first

Other Important Information

This post has some links for how to use the shroomery, Posting pictures, making threads. etc...

How to turn the search engine into a powerful cultivation tool. Getting results that don't suck ass from the search

My TEK list

Tips for Good posts and to get the best help

The OMC (Online Mushroom Community) Glossary and Lexicon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: flowchart all in one [Re: bodhisatta] * 3
    #24420180 - 06/20/17 12:55 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

If you don't have a pressure cooker start here

The easiest and cheapest way to start without a Pressure Cooker.

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

Ziran's updated PF tek

EM666's PF TEK

https://www.shroomery.org/13878/The-PF-tek

The PF tek can be steamed in a large pot with a tight fitting lid.

The PF cakes will be sterilized without the use of a pressure cooker/sterilizer if done correctly. Alternatively you can still do PF cakes in a pressure cooker they only will take 60 minutes at 15psi.

This post talks about sterile inoculation methods and the tools you need for aseptic inoculation

Many new growers would like automation in their fruiting chambers. Misting and fanning is really no hassle. If you have time to brush your teeth you have time to mist a few cakes. Naturally most new growers are excited about their project and check on their cakes too much any way. Still the idea of automation persists.

It should be important to know that the SGFC was invented by RogerRabbit when he was working 10 hours days and needed a automated fruiting chamber for PF cakes.
The cakes only need to be misted a couple times a day, as needed, use your eyes not a schedule.

Fanning is almost pointless.
The fanning is accomplished by simply removing the lid to mist. Fanning a SGFC (which gets automated FAE 24/7 because of the hundreds of holes) is like rolling a window down on a motorcycle.

Attaching humidifiers or air pumps to a SGFC will FUCK IT UP.

Using a hygrometer will make you MAKE MISTAKES.
you cannot accurately measure cake surface humidity. The humidity needs to be 90+ percent only an inch from the surface of the cake ad the evaporate into the "medium humidity" air in the SGFC. this air space can be 50-80% and fluctuate. This air space is more humid than your room air and less humid than the surface of the cakes. When you put a hygrometer into a SGFC it's usually mounted near holes and will read an inaccurate number. You will mist using the gauge as a guide and not your eyes. This will cause water logged cakes and poor performance.
You do not need to measure humidity with a hygrometer at all to achieve great performance

Incubation in the dark is OUTDATED. light is good at all stages
Fluorescent lights provide a more full spectrum than LED bulbs.
5000-6500K bulbs providing 800-1200 lumens per tub (at a distance of 1-2 feet) are recommended.

What you know about Temperature ranges for Cubensis might be OUTDATED
68-72F is a good temperature range for colonization(incubation) and fruiting. Warm temperatures encourage contaminants so room temperature is encouraged. 65-75 degrees requires no temperature adjustments for colonization or fruiting.
Cubensis mycelium grows as fast as it will from about 75-81 degrees. at above 81-83F speeds are reported to decline again. Below 65F cubensis mycelium will grow but at a slower pace until just before 32F when it will stall. Cubensis doesn't tolerate freezing but jars may be stalled in a fridge for later fruiting once they are fully colonized.

you bought a grow kit :uhoh: :sad:
Take a look here and see if there's any way to salvage it.
Chances are you just gave your money to someone who shipped you a box full of reminders that you just got kicked in the nuts.
Don't fret though for less money then you spent on the kit you can get going the right way.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: flowchart all in one [Re: bodhisatta] * 3
    #24420185 - 06/20/17 12:55 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

If you do have a pressure cooker/sterilizer start here

If you have a pressure cooker you can still do the methods linked under if you had clicked NO I don't have a cooker.

A pressure cooker TEK
This doesn't cover every kind of pressure cooker but you should give it a read since there's concepts that apply to all of pressure cooking/sterilizing.

With a pressure cooker/Sterilizer you can make Grain Spawn

Grain spawn can be
Oats, Rye, Rye grass seed, Wild bird seed, Millet, Milo, Spelt, Sorghum, Whole Brown Rice, etc... there's different methods and even many methods for each kind of grain. You will have to find what works for you. Pick a grain that's cheap for you and works well for you.

My Oat grain spawn TEK

grain spawn is inoculated with either

Spores (suspended in distilled water)
Liquid Inoculant (mycelium suspended in water)
Liquid Culture (mycelium grown on nutrient broth IE agar without the agar)
or
Agar Wedge (nutrient broth with a stiffening agent *AGAR* added)

Additionally

Grain to Grain (G2G) transfers can be used

G2G is where colonized grain spawn is used to inoculate newly prepared grain spawn. 

Some Examples
Spores      Liquid Inoculant      Liquid Culture
Agar Wedge      G2G

I strongly suggest staying away from LI or LC if you are not proficient with agar

Clean inoculant is PARAMOUNT to success with grain spawn.

Using spores to inoculate grain spawn is RISKY. Spores are inherently not 100% clean. A single contaminant can grow, go unseen, and then get spread to additional spawn or contaminate your grow once you get to the fruiting stage.

If you're interested in making Clean Inoculant you will need to learn AGAR
The Agar Resource Center
There's even videos. Agar is Easy As Fuck don't let it be a hurdle.

To make clean inoculant you need to do so in sterile aseptic conditions. This post details the tools you need

How to make Grain Spawn

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: flowchart all in one (moved) [Re: bodhisatta] * 3
    #24420507 - 06/20/17 03:17 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Inoculation and Sterility

First of all, What is the difference between disinfection, sanitation and sterilization?

Disinfection uses antimicrobial agents on non-living objects or surfaces to destroy or inactivate microorganisms.
Disinfectants may not kill all bacteria, viruses, fungi and spores.

Sanitation uses an antimicrobial agent on objects, surfaces or living tissue to reduce the number of disease-causing organisms to non-threatening levels.
Sanitizing does not affect some spores and viruses.

Washing your hands with soap and warm water like a surgeon does is more effective than sanitizing your hands. Sanitizers attempt to kill the organisms. Washing simply removes them, and it removes them so well if done right that it's far more effective than hand sanitizer.

Sterilization is the probability that all bacteria, spores, fungi and viruses are killed or inactivated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterility_assurance_level

Disinfection 101 (a PDF)

http://www.revoxsterilization.com/article/sterility-assurance-level-sal-vs-log-reduction-understanding-difference

sanitation is a 99.9-99.99 reduction (3-4 log reduction)

disinfection is a 99.99-99.999 reduction (4-5 log reduction)

sterilization is not simply a reduction.
It is a 6 log reduction at least 99.9999 once you get to 0 theoretical organisms. so it's not just 6 log reduction it's 6 logs past 0 so you have a SAL of 10-6.
Sterilization can be thought of as theoretical overkill.
At six logs past 0 there's a 1 in a million chance of a survivor. Sterilization has to be expressed as a probability because of survival odds. It's not an absolute

Tools for aseptic inoculation

you will need to inoculate your PF cakes or grain spawn using
spores, agar, LI, LC, g2g, etc... an inoculation method and an inoculant.

This is where sterility comes into play. we want to aseptically inoculate.

did you know 70% alcohol works better than 90% for sanitization

this can be done with a Still Air Box or a Flow Hood.

Still Air Box(SAB)

Here's some examples of what a Still Air Box is

Bod's Simple as fuck SAB

SBJ's SAB

Stro's SAB

A still air box works on the principle of still air
A SAB does not have to be sanitized, and cannot be sterilized. You cannot sterilize something that's in open air, the air we breath is loaded with contamination.
Air inside the still air box is well, still. particles that encounter still air lose their velocity quickly and tend to fall straight downwards. Thus by cleverly working in a SAB and never moving any non-sterile things over the top of sterile things you can achieve great success.

A still air box is a reasonable tool for a home cultivator. One can easily achieve pounds a week, pour hundreds of plates a month, and do dozens of jar inoculations a week with this simple tool with no reason to upgrade to a Flow Hood.

What's a Glove Box?

A glove box is just like a SAB but it has attached gloves. Attached gloves means you create a "piston effect" when you move around creating more air currents. Since you cannot sterilize a Glove box you will have little to no success trying to attempt working like that. You can sanitize the inside of a Glove box but remember sanitizer does not kill everything and you will still be at risk. A still air box doesn't have to be sanitized to work properly it works on design and physics.

A glove box also inhibits you from being able to flame your tools outside of the box. which is a huge disadvantage as you will need multiple pre-sterilized disposable tools.

Flow Hoods

A flow hood is a tool that uses filtered fan forced air to create a STERILE work space.

My laminar flow cabinet build
C10's decked out flow hood
Stonesun Flowhood TEK
Stro's FH
Mushpunx FH

EM666's FH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA
HEPA filtration may not be what you think it is
Also laminar flow hoods operate on a principle of laminar flow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminar_flow

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Flowhood#match

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: flowchart all in one [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #24420512 - 06/20/17 03:17 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

How I do it

Start with spores
I like to go spores to agar

Use my Agar tek to get started with agar and spores to agar

After spores go to agar you are to obtain clean healthy growth by doing transfers, my agar tek linked above also goes over this

Use your clean healthy growth on agar as an inoculant for spawn

Using my oat prep TEK to prepare the oats the then get loaded into jars and pressure cooked how to use your pressure cooker TEK

jars need lids lid TEK I prefer to do SFD lids but wrote the polyfil lid tek because some people are so dense they need a guide to stuff pillow stuffing into a hole.

SFDs get cut to be bigger than the 1/4-3/8 hole you put in your lid then you silicone them on. boom done.

injection ports are optional, self healing injection ports are made by putting silicone over a 1/4 hole.

after you sterilize your jars of spawn in your pressure cooker then they need to be inoculated with the agar wedges

you need to do the inoculations in a
Still Air Box (SAB TEK)

(videos in my links)

or in front of a
Flow hood TEK

then they go to colonize at room temperature 65-80F (68-72F is great)
on a shelf or something, getting ambient lighting during the day

Now that you have colonized spawn jars it's time to make some tubs and grow some mushrooms

to make a tub to grow shrooms in you will mix your colonized spawn with substrate

colonized spawn

I use coir (coconut husk processed into a brick) as substrate

The directions for prepping coir and the amount of coir you'll get once hydrated are located on the brick but for mycology we just use boiling water

how to prepare coir substrate TEK (aka the bucket tek)

once you make your coir substrate and it's cooled down enough to handle you can make your tubs to grow mushrooms

My unmodified monotub TEK

from this point on you can use my
harvesting TEK
and
spore printing TEK

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: flowchart all in one [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #24424115 - 06/21/17 05:09 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

reserved

OfflineEyeof
Loc: Argentina
Re: flowchart all in one [Re: bodhisatta] * 6
    #24427541 - 06/22/17 09:40 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Your efforts to increase accessibility to all the newbs out there (myself very much included) is admirable.  You rock, dude.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: flowchart all in one [Re: Eyeof] * 2
    #24427792 - 06/22/17 11:40 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Thanks, it's worth the effort. Everyone should have lots of shrooms if they want em.

OfflinePaddyWhite
Apprentice

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #24436979 - 06/26/17 05:38 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: sooo much information and this really puts a great framework on it. The prep begins....

--------------------
My mini unmod monotub grow log!

OfflineDA Double G
Male User Gallery

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: PaddyWhite] * 1
    #24438215 - 06/27/17 01:40 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

This has been extremely helpful and informative for me.
Many thanks!!
I've just started with the pf-tek.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I dont know.
Thank for posting

--------------------
Now they've found me, at last they've found me, it's hard to run from a starving family. Now they've found me, I won't run. I'm tired of hearing, there goes a well known gun.

OfflineO.G. Chem
Male User Gallery

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: DA Double G] * 1
    #24439903 - 06/27/17 06:34 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I've been on and off this site for years. I just want to say thanks Bod for simply putting everything and making this maze of information navigable. Much has changed in years past. I've had 3-4 successful operations in years past and am now excited to try some of your TEKs. They seem to simplify everything with high probability of success with large yields! Just wanted to say thanks for everything!

--------------------
Everything said here is a lie, fabrication, or work of fiction. Unless in New Mexico or another "legal" area, I will never try to produce "shrooms"

Offlinefidelio
Stranger
Loc: Brazil
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #24440226 - 06/27/17 08:12 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Great post, thanks.
The big picture was missing.

Offlineshrubybooby
Stranger
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: fidelio] * 1
    #24443615 - 06/29/17 02:40 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Does  it matter what strain the Shrooms are or is it like the Indica, Sativa thing with weed (Pretty much same high)

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: shrubybooby] * 1
    #24443939 - 06/29/17 09:11 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Strains are what you get when two spores mate.
Varieties are the name on a syringe.
There infinitely many strains of every variety
Variety doesn't matter strain does
Growing from spores you have 100s of strains in a single grow.
Some mushrooms will be made of many strains
Some mushrooms will be strong some weak.
Every time you grow from spores you'll get different results even from the same spore syringe.
Jist pick one, using agar is how you keep good strains around

OfflineSteevo
Just a cog in the death wheel
 User Gallery

Loc: Here and There
    #24444059 - 06/29/17 10:41 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

This is awesome man :rockon:

I just wanted to appreciate you for all the work you put in here. Getting all of this information together in one place like this shows your dedication to the community. Thanks again Bod

--------------------

OfflineKyshroomer19xx
Est 19xx soldier
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Steevo] * 2
    #24444218 - 06/29/17 12:24 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I love this thread thanks a lot for thinking about the noobs I am still struggling to navigate this site and feel stupid PMing the ppl that have helped me but they have all been super helpful except one but will leave it at that thanks bod you rock

--------------------
RIP tom petty

Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?
Albus  Dumbledore

InvisiblePterasteve
Lurker
Male

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Kyshroomer19xx] * 1
    #24449673 - 07/01/17 03:06 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

This thread rocks! It's good to see that the beneficial information on this site is steadily becoming easier to find.
Thanks Bod!

Edited by Pterasteve (07/01/17 03:07 PM)

OfflineLaff
Stranger
Male
Loc: Pittsburgh, pa
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Pterasteve] * 1
    #24450011 - 07/01/17 05:46 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I love that this site exists but look forward to the day when trying to get hands on mushrooms, or medicine, is not a cloak and dagger affair. With the new medical studies underway and in their third phase with exceptional results treating ptsd and depression, hopefully we can expect that we'll see it offered as a legit medication in our lifetime. I'm one of those suffering and have been looking around my city for a year trying to chase the only thing I fear can change my mental state. It's a shame. I should not have to feel like a criminal when trying to treat my symptoms and improve my quality of life with a natural substance.

--------------------
Laff

Offlineheyzeuscristo
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24455939 - 07/04/17 03:32 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Great post man! I started mid-may first time, and it took me a good 4-6 hours to absorb enough information from the newb forum list to get the gist of what you just posted. Good news is, I just harvested the first flush from Frank's 12 Step tek with no contam! I really appreciate the time you and everyone else on the site does to make it easier for us noobs.

Edited by heyzeuscristo (07/04/17 03:32 AM)

Offlinebill bixby
Stranger
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: heyzeuscristo] * 1
    #24456086 - 07/04/17 06:58 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

cheers lord:thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Hot Plate, Hygrometer, Injection Ports, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started