Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
Flow hood & terrarium air question
    #4596039 - 08/29/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,
I have some questions concerning the flow hood.

I found a good guide made by Anno to do mine at this address:
http://www.fungifun.org/flowhood/

I found interesting information to determine which blower I need too :
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23404

Now please tell me if i'm right. The flow hood is only to ensure a clean air when I must make operations outside the terrarium, like handling the substrate, handling the casing, to make an spore print, and a syringe. That does not replace the air filtration of the terrarium, and I must also have something to filter the terrarium air exange. If i'm right, what are you using to filter your terrarium air ? My terrarium will have 32 inches long, 18 inches of width and 14 inches height. Any idea of high efficiency filter I can use for the air filtration ?

Thanks a lot
wise gardener

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flow hood & terrarium air question [Re: wise_gardener]
    #4596491 - 08/29/05 10:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wise_gardener said:
Now please tell me if i'm right. The flow hood is only to ensure a clean air when I must make operations outside the terrarium, like handling the substrate, handling the casing, to make an spore print, and a syringe.

it provides almost completely sterile air, 99.7% of airborne partiles including mold spores are removed, it's great for any sort of sterile work, not just what you've listed

Quote:

That does not replace the air filtration of the terrarium, and I must also have something to filter the terrarium air exange. If i'm right, what are you using to filter your terrarium air ?

I've used nothing, noting is needed really, just mage sure that you're terrarium is kept in a reasonable clean environment

Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
Re: Flow hood & terrarium air question [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4598421 - 08/30/05 10:24 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Nothing is needed !? I'm not sure to understand. I need completly sterile environement for subtrat and inoculation. Again full sterile for casing mixture, and for spore print/seringe. And I don't need sterile air to come in my terrarium !? My air room without filtration can do the work ?

Perhaps that it is because you let your flow hood function all the time but I presume that the blower sould generate a lot of noise. Please specify your idea. Thanks a lot
wise gardener

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flow hood & terrarium air question [Re: wise_gardener]
    #4598463 - 08/30/05 10:52 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Flowhood is for sterile work -like- agar/petri - G2G, adding spawn to substrate & things where you expose any uncolonized nutrient medium to open air.

Once any nutrient medium is COLONIZED - it is somewhat protected by the mycelium - itself - like a barrier - or shield.

Fully colonized cakes, or bulk substrates have that barrier - in place.

Meaning, you can expose them to FRESH AIR EXCHANGE. So long as that air is not filthy.

Starting out, a GLOVE BOX is all you need for any STERILE WORK.

I use an impeller type cool mist for automated fresh air exchange into a fruiting chamber. The air going into the cool mist is normal air - EXCEPTING - I run a small portable HEPA in the room - so the air is somewhat clean.

Portable HEPA & IMPELLER type cool mist.

I only run the flowhood AS NEEDED - to conserve the FILTER LIFE.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation